IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Actually, there has been innovation in PC's
it's just all been crushed by MS (mostly) and Intel.

For example, OS/2's WPS was a real advance in U/I design, still ahead of the current PC state of the art.

However, in the main I do agree with you; the only companies that seem dedicated to good industrial design in personal computing are Apple and Sony, and Sony isn't as innovative as Apple (e.g. they haven't improved U/I's).

OTOH, they both share some bad traits, such as significantly higher prices (with exceptions; Sony's Clies are quite competitive), and the desire to monopolize their customers.

And, I think you understand the importance of price. If it costs too much, it might as well not exist. For example, in my job, distributed I/O might as well not exist since it adds too much cost to be considered for everything we've done so far; it doesn't pass a cost/benefits analysis.

Price is a real problem for Apple. If tower Mac's were cheaper (say <$1K), I'd have one, but at current prices it's simply not worth it. Eventually I'll get one, but it'll have to wait until I have Apple's level of cash to spend and their price/performance ratio is better (which probably means either G5 or Hammer). And, with tools such as Python, I can be very productive on PC's.

Tony
New Preach on!
Apple still has that price barrier to overcome. Until they understand that, they will still be a minor player with a minor marketshare in a niche market.

Alternative PC operating systems (IE Non-MS) are better than Windows, but apparently that does not matter to the average user that still keeps buying pre-Load Windows systems.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New My price trick
Maybe its not what you had in mind but my last two laptops have been two year old powerbooks purchased on ebay. So I'm coming to you now on a Powerbook G3/500MHz/Firewire/DVD-ROM/512MB/20G HD with Airport Card at a cost of $750 (bought about 8 months ago).

I think this computer has at least two years of life left in it easy.

Its a lot nicer than a lot of new PC laptops available now (lets not trot out the MHz numbers - this machine is plenty fast for development - even Java development).

RE: Sony. Sony makes some really trick stuff. But they have a consumer products mentality. All their stuff is a standalone disposable gem. I think they just released a bookshelf stereo with a HD that automatically digitizes your CD's in the background so you only have to insert your disk once and then you can play your music anytime - disk or no disk. But it uses proprietary audio encoding, has no network connection for getting cd track names or for moving your music to another device. That seems to be how they approach all their stuff - neat but not forward looking.

I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
     Argh! Why are Mac users so WHINY!!! - (tjsinclair) - (93)
         I hate the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (85)
             Agreed - (tjsinclair)
             It was a love-hate relationship - (orion)
             I said this many a year ago - (orion) - (79)
                 I remember - (tuberculosis) - (78)
                     Desktop Unixes and Mac Users - (orion)
                     But here is my point - (orion) - (76)
                         Excessive diversity - (tuberculosis) - (75)
                             Things have changed - (orion) - (74)
                                 Not enough - (tuberculosis) - (73)
                                     That sounds painful - (snork) - (69)
                                         Not all of the PC Industry - (orion) - (68)
                                             Pretty much - (tuberculosis) - (67)
                                                 Optical mouse/mouse wheel? - (admin) - (9)
                                                     Sun Workstations - 1987 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                         Morley (ot) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             I know what you mean! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Different optical technologies - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             OK, Noted - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Re: Sun Workstations - 1987 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Hahahahaha! - (admin)
                                                             Yep - I remember that. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Figured you would say that. - (admin)
                                                 The PC side - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Latchable menus - OK - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Let me think about it - (orion) - (54)
                                                     Nope - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                                                         Re: Nope - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             How many paper airplanes did your team build? - (tuberculosis)
                                                         PC Sound - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Forget it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                 More stuff they should have stole - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                                                                         I always hated that feature - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                             I loved it - (orion)
                                                                             Yes/no - (admin)
                                                                 Hey somebody gets it! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         What about the light pen interface? - (orion) - (9)
                                                             Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq. - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                 So what? On the PC the mouse is optional. - (orion) - (7)
                                                                     You're off topic - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                         You're off your rocker - (orion) - (5)
                                                                             ?!?!? - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 Stay on topic indeed? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                     Taking your ball and going home? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Not my ball, not my home, not my game. - (orion)
                                                                                     OK, I'll make this simple for you - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Au contraire - (wharris2) - (19)
                                                             Don't tease the Mac Fans - (orion) - (2)
                                                                 You miss the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Big deal - (orion)
                                                             Think Not - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                 Price, even if you like it or not, always is a big factor. - (orion) - (14)
                                                                     So low price is a PC "innovation" copied by everybody else? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                         The point is innovating to keep the price down, better bang - (orion) - (12)
                                                                             Maybe - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                                                                 You apparently don't seem to see a lot of things - (orion) - (10)
                                                                                     What systems are those then? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                                         I always thought you were intelligent. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                             Expandable in which dimension? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion)
                                                                                             Not only that - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                 You still need Office - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                     But Office isn't part of the OS - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sure it is - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                                             I said it before - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Re: I said it before - (wharris2)
                                                     *Spurts coffee over keyboard* - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                         It was free, when it was Outlook 98 - (orion) - (10)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Huh? - (orion) - (8)
                                                                     Key Words - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         OT Your BLOG - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                             Re: OT Your BLOG - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 Perl - ICK! - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Re: Perl - ICK! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Yeah but if I know me - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             I think I've found Todd's Weblog Heaven - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Evolution - (altmann)
                                     Actually, there has been innovation in PC's - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Preach on! - (orion)
                                         My price trick - (tuberculosis)
             Why I hate the Mac - (orion) - (2)
                 I am your long lost sister - (Dark Phoenix 2) - (1)
                     Sister, where have you been? - (orion)
         They just are - (orion)
         The Katt knows! - (orion) - (5)
             Cute, but not to the point - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                 But I already have it! - (snork) - (3)
                     Good point - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Can't argue with that - (snork)
                     Yeah I know - (tuberculosis)

Just slightly more difficult than choosing your parents.
200 ms