IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Forget it
The point Todd is making is that the PC quite simply is not where innovation happens in the user interaction arena. Even though I personally believe that Apple have lost their way somewhat with the UI of OSX, it's still more usable and pleasant than Windows 2000 or XP.

I always thoroughly enjoy working with my mother's iMac when I go to visit (once I get over that HORRENDOUS mouse. I take my Intellimouse Explorer with me :-)) because quite simply the Apple engineers have been thorough in their design of the user interface in a way that really doesn't exist anywhere else. [I hope and pray that the lessons the GNOME project learned in their usability study are applied and applied hard. Even now, you can see in GNOME2 that things are just simpler, whereas KDE seems to be heading in the opposite direction - just take a look at the KDE3 control centre for an example of Too Much Interface.]

The Windows 95 start menu and task bar were stolen from Acorn's RISCOS operating system, by the way. Shame they didn't steal the other good stuff, like being able to work with windows that are not on the top of the window pile, having a fast and simple filer with nothing to break, leak or spill, having fast proper antialiased outline fonts with subpixel hinting and scaffolding, having a simple command line available with the press of a key (hit f12, enter commands, hit enter twice to return to desktop)...

Pointing at the PCJr doesn't really help either, because it was a wretched pile of shit that needed to die, and fast. Thankfully, it did.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New More stuff they should have stole
The Amiga Workbench, had the ability to drag the full screen down by it's title and view the screen under it. This could be done multiple times. I haven't seen this done on any other GUI since, at least not to the best of my knowledge.

While the PC may not be the leaders of innovations with the UI, how does that matter to the average user? The best it could be for is bragging rights. Which of course don't pay back the corporate loans or create more marketshare.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It
--
Chris Altmann
New I always hated that feature
Never like multiple workspaces in WM's. Worked on HPUX with the COSE Motif 6 workspace interface and just never could get in the hang of switching from one to the other. I found it disorienting.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New I loved it
it was great being able to switch from one to the other so easily. Like having two desks for two different sets of projects.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Yes/no
Autoswitching by detecting the mouse on the edge of the screen must die. That IS disorienting.

However, I have 8 workspaces right now... switchable only by hotkey. It's an extremely fast, efficient way to organize groups of windows, in my opinion.

Programming emacs on 1, Web browsers on 3, VMware on 5, etc.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Hey somebody gets it!
Precisely. Some things change the way users think about computers and they way they use them. Most of those sea changes have to introduced and promoted by some brave company willing to draw a new line in the sand. Apple, I notice, is the company most often moving the line. Not always - just usually.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
     Argh! Why are Mac users so WHINY!!! - (tjsinclair) - (93)
         I hate the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (85)
             Agreed - (tjsinclair)
             It was a love-hate relationship - (orion)
             I said this many a year ago - (orion) - (79)
                 I remember - (tuberculosis) - (78)
                     Desktop Unixes and Mac Users - (orion)
                     But here is my point - (orion) - (76)
                         Excessive diversity - (tuberculosis) - (75)
                             Things have changed - (orion) - (74)
                                 Not enough - (tuberculosis) - (73)
                                     That sounds painful - (snork) - (69)
                                         Not all of the PC Industry - (orion) - (68)
                                             Pretty much - (tuberculosis) - (67)
                                                 Optical mouse/mouse wheel? - (admin) - (9)
                                                     Sun Workstations - 1987 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                         Morley (ot) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             I know what you mean! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Different optical technologies - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             OK, Noted - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Re: Sun Workstations - 1987 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Hahahahaha! - (admin)
                                                             Yep - I remember that. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Figured you would say that. - (admin)
                                                 The PC side - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Latchable menus - OK - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Let me think about it - (orion) - (54)
                                                     Nope - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                                                         Re: Nope - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             How many paper airplanes did your team build? - (tuberculosis)
                                                         PC Sound - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Forget it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                 More stuff they should have stole - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                                                                         I always hated that feature - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                             I loved it - (orion)
                                                                             Yes/no - (admin)
                                                                 Hey somebody gets it! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         What about the light pen interface? - (orion) - (9)
                                                             Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq. - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                 So what? On the PC the mouse is optional. - (orion) - (7)
                                                                     You're off topic - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                         You're off your rocker - (orion) - (5)
                                                                             ?!?!? - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 Stay on topic indeed? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                     Taking your ball and going home? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Not my ball, not my home, not my game. - (orion)
                                                                                     OK, I'll make this simple for you - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Au contraire - (wharris2) - (19)
                                                             Don't tease the Mac Fans - (orion) - (2)
                                                                 You miss the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Big deal - (orion)
                                                             Think Not - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                 Price, even if you like it or not, always is a big factor. - (orion) - (14)
                                                                     So low price is a PC "innovation" copied by everybody else? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                         The point is innovating to keep the price down, better bang - (orion) - (12)
                                                                             Maybe - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                                                                 You apparently don't seem to see a lot of things - (orion) - (10)
                                                                                     What systems are those then? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                                         I always thought you were intelligent. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                             Expandable in which dimension? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion)
                                                                                             Not only that - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                 You still need Office - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                     But Office isn't part of the OS - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sure it is - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                                             I said it before - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Re: I said it before - (wharris2)
                                                     *Spurts coffee over keyboard* - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                         It was free, when it was Outlook 98 - (orion) - (10)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Huh? - (orion) - (8)
                                                                     Key Words - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         OT Your BLOG - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                             Re: OT Your BLOG - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 Perl - ICK! - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Re: Perl - ICK! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Yeah but if I know me - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             I think I've found Todd's Weblog Heaven - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Evolution - (altmann)
                                     Actually, there has been innovation in PC's - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Preach on! - (orion)
                                         My price trick - (tuberculosis)
             Why I hate the Mac - (orion) - (2)
                 I am your long lost sister - (Dark Phoenix 2) - (1)
                     Sister, where have you been? - (orion)
         They just are - (orion)
         The Katt knows! - (orion) - (5)
             Cute, but not to the point - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                 But I already have it! - (snork) - (3)
                     Good point - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Can't argue with that - (snork)
                     Yeah I know - (tuberculosis)

Sounds like a horse. Maybe it was.
148 ms