IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Optical mouse/mouse wheel?
Dunno if/when Apple got them.

All I know is that I can't do without my optical mouse with mouse wheel now. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Sun Workstations - 1987
Those had optical mice.
Kensington's trackballs were using optical before Windows came out.
Morley Wah-wah pedals used optical pots in the early 80's.
I'll give you the scroll wheel - that thing is kinda cool.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
New Morley (ot)
I have a Morley Wah, Volume Pedal, and A-B/Y box. Which you can pry from my cold, dead fingers when I'm gone.
-----
Steve
New I know what you mean!
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New Different optical technologies
The "optical pots" you're talking about are most likely a simple encoder wheel, somewhat similar to the encoder wheel on a mechanical mouse. (We use a lot of their precision cousins -- as relative rotary encoders on servo motors).

The Sun optical mice you're talking about were, IIRC, made by Mouse Systems, and had to be used with a special pad with lines, since they had an optical detector that counted the lines. In essence, similar to a relative linear optical encoder (e.g. as used by many DRO's (digital read outs) on knee-type vertical mills).

The Agilent optical mouse (MS started off using HP/Agilent, but then switched to their own design IIRC. Logitech still uses Agilent, although the their second generation design), OTOH, is more like a small camera, looking at the 'texture' of the surface and trying to track bits of texture. That's why they won't work on surfaces with no texture.

So you have to give the PC world (via HP/Agilent) credit for optical mice that work on most surfaces, no special mouse pad required.

Tony
New OK, Noted
It doesn't quite fundamentally change the user's relationship with his machine like the scroll wheel does though. I mean, you still gotta drag the thing over some surface to make it work.
New Re: Sun Workstations - 1987
Bloody things.

I used SPARCStation SLCs and IPCs when I was at uni in 1991-95, and they had these shiny gridded mousemats. In order to deter the kleptomaniac tendencies of the average student, the Powers That Be glued the mousemats down.

On the right hand side.

I'm left handed.

Colour me not impressed :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Hahahahaha!
I loved those things. I used them in the late '80s in college, and yes, they glued them down there too.

Of course, I'm right-handed. I can see how that would irritate the snot out of a lefty, though. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Yep - I remember that.
New Figured you would say that.
And as tonytib pointed out, the new ones are much different than the blue Sun grid mousepads.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Argh! Why are Mac users so WHINY!!! - (tjsinclair) - (93)
         I hate the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (85)
             Agreed - (tjsinclair)
             It was a love-hate relationship - (orion)
             I said this many a year ago - (orion) - (79)
                 I remember - (tuberculosis) - (78)
                     Desktop Unixes and Mac Users - (orion)
                     But here is my point - (orion) - (76)
                         Excessive diversity - (tuberculosis) - (75)
                             Things have changed - (orion) - (74)
                                 Not enough - (tuberculosis) - (73)
                                     That sounds painful - (snork) - (69)
                                         Not all of the PC Industry - (orion) - (68)
                                             Pretty much - (tuberculosis) - (67)
                                                 Optical mouse/mouse wheel? - (admin) - (9)
                                                     Sun Workstations - 1987 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                         Morley (ot) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             I know what you mean! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Different optical technologies - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             OK, Noted - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Re: Sun Workstations - 1987 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Hahahahaha! - (admin)
                                                             Yep - I remember that. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Figured you would say that. - (admin)
                                                 The PC side - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Latchable menus - OK - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Let me think about it - (orion) - (54)
                                                     Nope - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                                                         Re: Nope - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             How many paper airplanes did your team build? - (tuberculosis)
                                                         PC Sound - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Forget it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                 More stuff they should have stole - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                                                                         I always hated that feature - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                             I loved it - (orion)
                                                                             Yes/no - (admin)
                                                                 Hey somebody gets it! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         What about the light pen interface? - (orion) - (9)
                                                             Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq. - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                 So what? On the PC the mouse is optional. - (orion) - (7)
                                                                     You're off topic - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                         You're off your rocker - (orion) - (5)
                                                                             ?!?!? - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 Stay on topic indeed? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                     Taking your ball and going home? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Not my ball, not my home, not my game. - (orion)
                                                                                     OK, I'll make this simple for you - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Au contraire - (wharris2) - (19)
                                                             Don't tease the Mac Fans - (orion) - (2)
                                                                 You miss the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Big deal - (orion)
                                                             Think Not - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                 Price, even if you like it or not, always is a big factor. - (orion) - (14)
                                                                     So low price is a PC "innovation" copied by everybody else? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                         The point is innovating to keep the price down, better bang - (orion) - (12)
                                                                             Maybe - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                                                                 You apparently don't seem to see a lot of things - (orion) - (10)
                                                                                     What systems are those then? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                                         I always thought you were intelligent. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                             Expandable in which dimension? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion)
                                                                                             Not only that - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                 You still need Office - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                     But Office isn't part of the OS - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sure it is - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                                             I said it before - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Re: I said it before - (wharris2)
                                                     *Spurts coffee over keyboard* - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                         It was free, when it was Outlook 98 - (orion) - (10)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Huh? - (orion) - (8)
                                                                     Key Words - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         OT Your BLOG - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                             Re: OT Your BLOG - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 Perl - ICK! - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Re: Perl - ICK! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Yeah but if I know me - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             I think I've found Todd's Weblog Heaven - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Evolution - (altmann)
                                     Actually, there has been innovation in PC's - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Preach on! - (orion)
                                         My price trick - (tuberculosis)
             Why I hate the Mac - (orion) - (2)
                 I am your long lost sister - (Dark Phoenix 2) - (1)
                     Sister, where have you been? - (orion)
         They just are - (orion)
         The Katt knows! - (orion) - (5)
             Cute, but not to the point - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                 But I already have it! - (snork) - (3)
                     Good point - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Can't argue with that - (snork)
                     Yeah I know - (tuberculosis)

Yow!
311 ms