IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq.
We're talking about innovations that fundamentally change the way users work with computers.

Tossing out a laundry list of things that never caught on anywhere isn't making much of a case.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New So what? On the PC the mouse is optional.
Some packages were sold with the software and the light pen for business applications. yes it did change the UI to the computer. But because Apple didn't think of it first, let's just toss that one out shall we?

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New You're off topic
Hmmm. I thing you ought to go look up ubiquitous. It means its now everywhere and it changed the way people use computers forever. Light pens are not ubiquitous. You're off topic. Name innovations that appeared first on the PC that now appear on *all* macs and pcs and unix machines - IOW, something now so fundamental that you'd never consider getting a computer without one. Like CD ROM capable drives (these days most people are going to insist on DVD-ROM at least).

Not like light pens.
New You're off your rocker
how can I compete when you keep on changing the rules to fit your own insane debate?

New ?!?!?
The thesis hasn't changed. It was and is:

Apple does the bulk of the innovating in the computer industry wrt what constitutes a base machine configuration. They've forced into the mainstream mice, GUIs, networking, peer to peer networking (about to get good again with Rendezvous), wireless ethernet, classy cases, hotswappable high bandwidth media (firewire), flat panel displays, multimedia, sound, and a bunch of other stuff thats small but that everybody has since copied. Which is fine. This is all stuff that changed the face of computing - the very definition of what a computer is to a user.

Light pens didn't change jack and are not commonly found on the average computer. Do you not understand? You're beginning to resemble bryce on this. Stay on topic.
New Stay on topic indeed?
Your own words:

I give sony bonus points for the vaio ultralight designs - other than that - name one innovation the pc industry provided that directly and favorably impacts the end user experirence that Apple didn't release first.

Yet many times you batting things down because the PC didn't invent them first, but some Non-Apple company did. So on that you changed things around to suit your own needs.

I gave the IBM Thinkpad Butteryfly keyboard, but you poo-pooed it, and then changed the argument so that instead of the end user experience it was now about the UI.

The Lightpen was bundled on some hardware and software packages, and it did impact end user experience, yet because it isn't included on 100% of the systems out there, you poo-pooed it. Again you are changing the terms to suit your own needs.

As a result, I refuse to discuss the issue any further with you.

New Taking your ball and going home?
When did a lightpen change the user experience?

Hell, when was the last time you even saw one of these things?

But there's a mouse attached to your computer, and you wouldn't consider using it without one.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Not my ball, not my home, not my game.
The Lightpen was really used mostly in Point Of Sale, Medical, Industrial and Mobile computing systems. I admit it is not used in 100% of the systems out there, but it is used. In fact, companies such as this one [link|http://www.inkwellsystems.com/|[link|http://www.inkwellsystems.com/|http://www.inkwellsystems.com/]] seem to be in the business of selling Lightpens and seem to stay in business. If nobody uses Lightpens, then how does this company stay in business since 1983?

Click on that company's technical button and read:

Light pens are perfect for applications where desk space is limited, in harsh workplace environments, and any situation where fast accurate input is desired.

Does that, or does that not change the user experience when in some conditions it may be better to use a Lightpen instead of a mouse? Such as in an assembly plant with little or no deskspace to roll around a mouse, or perhaps a point of sale system on a sales counter?

New OK, I'll make this simple for you
If it came out on the PC first and Macs have it now and its now included standard where before it used to be an optional add-on, then its a PC innovation that raised the bar.

OTOH, if Apple added it to the base product line and then all the PC makers started including it as a standard feature then its an Apple innovation that changed computing for the PC world.

Under which scenario does your light pen fit? Oh right, its neither since light pens are not included standard on either PCs or Macs.

Argh! Why are Mac users so WHINY!!! - (tjsinclair) - (93)
         I hate the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (85)
             Agreed - (tjsinclair)
             It was a love-hate relationship - (orion)
             I said this many a year ago - (orion) - (79)
                 I remember - (tuberculosis) - (78)
                     Desktop Unixes and Mac Users - (orion)
                     But here is my point - (orion) - (76)
                         Excessive diversity - (tuberculosis) - (75)
                             Things have changed - (orion) - (74)
                                 Not enough - (tuberculosis) - (73)
                                     That sounds painful - (snork) - (69)
                                         Not all of the PC Industry - (orion) - (68)
                                             Pretty much - (tuberculosis) - (67)
                                                 Optical mouse/mouse wheel? - (admin) - (9)
                                                     Sun Workstations - 1987 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                         Morley (ot) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             I know what you mean! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Different optical technologies - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             OK, Noted - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Re: Sun Workstations - 1987 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Hahahahaha! - (admin)
                                                             Yep - I remember that. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Figured you would say that. - (admin)
                                                 The PC side - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Latchable menus - OK - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Let me think about it - (orion) - (54)
                                                     Nope - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                                                         Re: Nope - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             How many paper airplanes did your team build? - (tuberculosis)
                                                         PC Sound - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Forget it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                 More stuff they should have stole - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                                                                         I always hated that feature - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                             I loved it - (orion)
                                                                             Yes/no - (admin)
                                                                 Hey somebody gets it! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         What about the light pen interface? - (orion) - (9)
                                                             Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq. - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                 So what? On the PC the mouse is optional. - (orion) - (7)
                                                                     You're off topic - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                         You're off your rocker - (orion) - (5)
                                                                             ?!?!? - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 Stay on topic indeed? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                     Taking your ball and going home? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Not my ball, not my home, not my game. - (orion)
                                                                                     OK, I'll make this simple for you - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Au contraire - (wharris2) - (19)
                                                             Don't tease the Mac Fans - (orion) - (2)
                                                                 You miss the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Big deal - (orion)
                                                             Think Not - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                 Price, even if you like it or not, always is a big factor. - (orion) - (14)
                                                                     So low price is a PC "innovation" copied by everybody else? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                         The point is innovating to keep the price down, better bang - (orion) - (12)
                                                                             Maybe - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                                                                 You apparently don't seem to see a lot of things - (orion) - (10)
                                                                                     What systems are those then? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                                         I always thought you were intelligent. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                             Expandable in which dimension? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion)
                                                                                             Not only that - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                 You still need Office - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                     But Office isn't part of the OS - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sure it is - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                                             I said it before - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Re: I said it before - (wharris2)
                                                     *Spurts coffee over keyboard* - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                         It was free, when it was Outlook 98 - (orion) - (10)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Huh? - (orion) - (8)
                                                                     Key Words - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         OT Your BLOG - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                             Re: OT Your BLOG - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 Perl - ICK! - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Re: Perl - ICK! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Yeah but if I know me - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             I think I've found Todd's Weblog Heaven - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Evolution - (altmann)
                                     Actually, there has been innovation in PC's - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Preach on! - (orion)
                                         My price trick - (tuberculosis)
             Why I hate the Mac - (orion) - (2)
                 I am your long lost sister - (Dark Phoenix 2) - (1)
                     Sister, where have you been? - (orion)
         They just are - (orion)
         The Katt knows! - (orion) - (5)
             Cute, but not to the point - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                 But I already have it! - (snork) - (3)
                     Good point - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Can't argue with that - (snork)
                     Yeah I know - (tuberculosis)

I'm reconciled to the existence of idiots in the world, but I'm bitterly resentful of whoever it was who first thought to make computer technology available to them.
205 ms