IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Katt knows!
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,375880,00.asp|[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,375880,00.asp|http://www.eweek.co...75880,00.asp]]

"Person willing to pay for online content" Earth's most elusive creature.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Cute, but not to the point

.mac isn't about online content. It's about:

- e-mail (POP/IMAP/Web)
- online storage (100 MB)
- Web hosting
- integration with all those cool iApps (for iCal and iSync alone I'm going to sign up)
- online/offline backup services
- Anti-virus
- <future Web services to be added later>

The cartoon is right. I'm not that willing to pay for online content, at least with *no added value*. I'm willing to pay for *my* content (e-mail, schedule, backup data) along with the value-add of iSync, iCal, iChat, etc.

It always seems to be this way with new Apple stuff these days. When they're announced, it's either screams of rage or barely stifled yawns. It's not until the ideas have a chance to sink in before everyone starts to 'get it'.

For my money, I can see some seriously cool uses for .mac already, both at work and with friends and family.

If you get a chance (and have Quicktime) take a look at the keynote demos. There's some majorly forward-thinking stuff going on there. (Though some may disagree.)

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New But I already have it!
First off, lemme preface this by disclosing that I am a Mac fan of many years (15+). I have 4 Macs networked in the house - only one OSX-capable. I'm not an early adopter, but I will move when I think the kinks are worked out.

Anyway, the problem I have with the new .Mac scheme is that I have nearly all of what they are offering already with my current isp. Webmail, POP mail, hosting, 100MB storage - all for $10/month. I have no use for shared calendaring or synchronization at this point and my backups are happily automated with Retrospect and a CD-RW over my home ethernet.

I am not arguing that some will find .Mac useful. But $100/year? I think a better price point would have been around $40. I just don't think that there will be enough takers at the current pricing for it to be successful. "But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." :)

"With the bravery of being out of range." - Roger Waters

Cliff
New Good point

For me, however, the real value will be in the shared calendaring and the synchronization.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Can't argue with that
The good folks over at [link|http://www.macedition.com|MacEdition] have posted what I think is a very well written [link|http://www.macedition.com/letters/letters_20020719.php|letter to the editor] that sums up how a lot of folx that I've talked to feel. I guess we'll see how this all shakes out over the next few months. I'm hoping that they'll either beef up the services to allow a few more of us to justify it or modify the pricing.
"With the bravery of being out of range." - Roger Waters

Cliff
New Yeah I know
I think a better price point would have been around $40.

Me too. But as an existing user I get it at about that this year. So I ponied up and will see if it justifies the expense. I like having a stable mac.com email address with IMAP access. As a point of presence on the internet - its not bad and I don't have any other ISP (I "borrow" wireless networks from time to time or use the connection at work).

I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
     Argh! Why are Mac users so WHINY!!! - (tjsinclair) - (93)
         I hate the Mac - (tuberculosis) - (85)
             Agreed - (tjsinclair)
             It was a love-hate relationship - (orion)
             I said this many a year ago - (orion) - (79)
                 I remember - (tuberculosis) - (78)
                     Desktop Unixes and Mac Users - (orion)
                     But here is my point - (orion) - (76)
                         Excessive diversity - (tuberculosis) - (75)
                             Things have changed - (orion) - (74)
                                 Not enough - (tuberculosis) - (73)
                                     That sounds painful - (snork) - (69)
                                         Not all of the PC Industry - (orion) - (68)
                                             Pretty much - (tuberculosis) - (67)
                                                 Optical mouse/mouse wheel? - (admin) - (9)
                                                     Sun Workstations - 1987 - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                         Morley (ot) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             I know what you mean! -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Different optical technologies - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             OK, Noted - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Re: Sun Workstations - 1987 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             Hahahahaha! - (admin)
                                                             Yep - I remember that. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Figured you would say that. - (admin)
                                                 The PC side - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Latchable menus - OK - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Let me think about it - (orion) - (54)
                                                     Nope - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                                                         Re: Nope - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                             How many paper airplanes did your team build? - (tuberculosis)
                                                         PC Sound - (orion) - (7)
                                                             Forget it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                                 More stuff they should have stole - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     The Enlightenment WM Had/Has It -NT - (altmann) - (3)
                                                                         I always hated that feature - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                             I loved it - (orion)
                                                                             Yes/no - (admin)
                                                                 Hey somebody gets it! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         What about the light pen interface? - (orion) - (9)
                                                             Did your computer come with one? Does the mac? Not ubiq. - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                                 So what? On the PC the mouse is optional. - (orion) - (7)
                                                                     You're off topic - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                         You're off your rocker - (orion) - (5)
                                                                             ?!?!? - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 Stay on topic indeed? - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                     Taking your ball and going home? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Not my ball, not my home, not my game. - (orion)
                                                                                     OK, I'll make this simple for you - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Au contraire - (wharris2) - (19)
                                                             Don't tease the Mac Fans - (orion) - (2)
                                                                 You miss the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Big deal - (orion)
                                                             Think Not - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                 Price, even if you like it or not, always is a big factor. - (orion) - (14)
                                                                     So low price is a PC "innovation" copied by everybody else? - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                                                                         The point is innovating to keep the price down, better bang - (orion) - (12)
                                                                             Maybe - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                                                                 You apparently don't seem to see a lot of things - (orion) - (10)
                                                                                     What systems are those then? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                                         I always thought you were intelligent. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                             Expandable in which dimension? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                                                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion)
                                                                                             Not only that - (orion) - (5)
                                                                                                 You still need Office - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                     But Office isn't part of the OS - (orion) - (3)
                                                                                                         Sure it is - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                                             I said it before - (orion) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Re: I said it before - (wharris2)
                                                     *Spurts coffee over keyboard* - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                         It was free, when it was Outlook 98 - (orion) - (10)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Huh? - (orion) - (8)
                                                                     Key Words - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         OT Your BLOG - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                             Re: OT Your BLOG - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                 Perl - ICK! - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Re: Perl - ICK! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                         Yeah but if I know me - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             I think I've found Todd's Weblog Heaven - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                                 Thanks! - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Evolution - (altmann)
                                     Actually, there has been innovation in PC's - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         Preach on! - (orion)
                                         My price trick - (tuberculosis)
             Why I hate the Mac - (orion) - (2)
                 I am your long lost sister - (Dark Phoenix 2) - (1)
                     Sister, where have you been? - (orion)
         They just are - (orion)
         The Katt knows! - (orion) - (5)
             Cute, but not to the point - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                 But I already have it! - (snork) - (3)
                     Good point - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                         Can't argue with that - (snork)
                     Yeah I know - (tuberculosis)

And even if we were to live in that alternate universe where they would be right, they'd still be wrong.
137 ms