1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ran him out of Denver after Columbine
-----
Steve
New And good riddance
I don't like his anti-intellectual crap. Its just lame. Shut up and play a record you moron.

Every station he gets booted from means there's one more choice of programming. I like that. Radio should be local.

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New Funny you should say that
Every station he gets booted from means there's one more choice of programming. I like that. Radio should be local.

That's the exact argument one of the ex-KCFV DJ's has been making and defending, that the programming is too nationalized and there isn't enough room for local stations with local talent.

You're the first person I've heard defend his argument other than him, although there are some flaws in his logic. He seems to think ONLY local DJs should be hired in local cities, but see, that's not logical, it would mean no one could ever move and stay in the industry.

However, throwing out his extreme desires for rigidity like that, I admit it would be nice to have more local DJ's and local stations in St. Louis, which deal with the things that matter here, not everywhere else. And it would work in any state, I believe there is room for both in every state.

Nightowl >8#

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New What's the point of even turning the radio on?
Modern music is mostly not "radio" music (don't want to say it sucks - well yes I do..) no local flavor etc.

I saw that Smash the Idiot is finally gone for KLOU - wish Karen Kelley and JC would re-unite...
-drl
New Well, I have reasons to
I turn it on for my parakeet, (my bird likes Classical music and I play it to soothe him and plus he's used to it, his previous owner played it 24-7). And I turn it on for Khits, my favorite 70's station which we play when the birdie isn't listening to Classical and no other noise is happening.

We leave the radio on for the bird too, when we go out or anything, he always has soothing music.

Other times I use the radio most is during storms, or sometimes to hear a game in the car that is local. Most of my sports I have to listen to on the internet.

I don't like so-called modern music, so my 70's station is fine for me.

Nightowl >8#

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New Say WHAT?!?
He seems to think ONLY local DJs should be hired in local cities, but see, that's not logical, it would mean no one could ever move and stay in the industry.

I respond to that with a resounding "HUH?!?". If I move from Albuquerque to Denver, I get a job in Denver. (Actually, It'd be the other way around...I get a job in Denver, I move to Denver, but you get the point.) Guess what? I'm still local.......in Denver! And, I'm still "in the industry"!

Whatever are you talking about, Brenda?
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New Re: Say WHAT?!?
I respond to that with a resounding "HUH?!?". If I move from Albuquerque to Denver, I get a job in Denver. (Actually, It'd be the other way around...I get a job in Denver, I move to Denver, but you get the point.) Guess what? I'm still local.......in Denver! And, I'm still "in the industry"!

Whatever are you talking about, Brenda?

Heheeh, that's pretty much what we asked E.B. too. It makes no sense that a rule should be made only allowing stations to hire local talent. That is, talent that was BORN AND RAISED LOCALLY. That is E.B.'s definition of local talent, that you had to be BORN and RAISED in the city to be a true local DJ and be effective. I think he's nuts. We argued about this for more than a dozen posts in the KCFV forum, because it made no sense.

E.B. mostly is bitter because he is wanting to be in big radio and he is local, but they will hire almost anyone else out of town before hiring him. Bottom line, we've tried to tell E.B. it's mostly his attitude holding him back, but he insists that if they had to hire local talent over out-of-town, he'd have a better job. I disagree, I think they wouldn't hire him period.

But we pretty much thought his idea of the way radio should be run was stupid and illogical. He claimed most DJs weren't married and didn't want families, for example, and someone pointed out several who were. He seems to think we need a station just to be the "voice of St. Louis" I for one don't get it, why would we? I mean, I guess it'd be nice, but I wouldn't listen to it, and I am unconvinced there is a market for it.

His other argument is that all the commercial stations are huge clones of stations from New York, LA, etc. oh well, I wouldn't know it if they were. I like mine, so I see no problem.

I agree with him on one thing, the radio industry is not being run as well as it should be, and it shouldn't be so hard for people to get their feet in the door, but I don't think the answer is to limit stations to only being allowed to hire local talent.

Understand now, JB?

Nightowl >8#

Edit: Explained E.B.'s concept of local talent.

Eric Hoffer
Expand Edited by Nightowl Feb. 27, 2004, 03:08:52 PM EST
New Thanks. You're right: He's whacked!
So if you happen to be born the best possible DJ in the Western Hemisphere, and you have the misfortune to be born in Truth or Consequences, NM (there really is such a place!), you're fucked, because there isn't a radio station there (or within 75 miles in any direction), and you can't move to where there is a station because you're not "local" per his definition.

What a maroon!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New Believe me, we tried
to get E.B. to see the complete illogicality of his argument, but he keeps saying things like cities need a truly local sound, with a DJ who knows the area and grew up here and knows the history and all. It all sounds nice, I mean, it would be nice to have such a thing, I guess, not that I would be that interested in it, but to make it a mandatory thing is crazy.

Like I said, I think he's mostly mad that the St. Louis stations won't hire him to work for them, rather they are hiring people from out of town instead. He seems to think he's St. Louis's gift to radio, but I don't agree.

Sorry I was not defining his concept of local better before, I forgot you weren't really reading that thread in KCFV.

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
     Howard Stern yanked - (deSitter) - (51)
         pre-election sanctimony - (hnick)
         Ran him out of Denver after Columbine -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (8)
             And good riddance - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 Funny you should say that - (Nightowl) - (6)
                     What's the point of even turning the radio on? - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Well, I have reasons to - (Nightowl)
                     Say WHAT?!? - (jb4) - (3)
                         Re: Say WHAT?!? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             Thanks. You're right: He's whacked! - (jb4) - (1)
                                 Believe me, we tried - (Nightowl)
         I'm proud of them - (Nightowl) - (21)
             You would be. -NT - (CRConrad)
             Proud of what? I dont find Stern indecent or Bubba - (boxley) - (8)
                 No thanks, I like Nightowl - (Nightowl)
                 It's not that he's rude - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     much prefered bubba over stern - (boxley) - (5)
                         If you read my post more closely - (Nightowl) - (4)
                             church lady, think david spade in drag Saterday Nite Live - (boxley) - (3)
                                 church lady, think david spade in drag Saterday Nite Live - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                     the fines were just announced and you being in the business - (boxley) - (1)
                                         ...fines were just announced and you being in the business - (Nightowl)
             Agree but wouldn't say it was indecent - (deSitter) - (10)
                 I understand that - (Nightowl) - (9)
                     You're female, right? - (Ashton) - (3)
                         naw she smells a fart and thinks its roses by conditioning -NT - (boxley)
                         Re: You're female, right? - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             maybe in buttfsck missouri nude is not accepted - (boxley)
                     She didn't 'change the world', I'd say - (Meerkat) - (4)
                         Re: She didn't 'change the world', I'd say - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             Not even sure if SuperBowl was shown on free-to-air TV - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                 Ah ok, that helps - (Nightowl)
                         Same here - (pwhysall)
         I don't see this as true censorship. - (rickw) - (3)
             I watched Pat Robertson and Foulwell - (boxley) - (2)
                 Re: I watched Pat Robertson and Foulwell - (rickw) - (1)
                     so rush limbough should be off the air as well? -NT - (boxley)
         Re: Howard Stern yanked - (pwhysall) - (12)
             You obviously listened ;-) - (bepatient) - (11)
                 he wasnt "over the edge" he has used those same - (boxley) - (10)
                     Point boxley. - (Silverlock)
                     Greaseman??? - (bepatient) - (8)
                         sorry greaseman - (boxley) - (1)
                             That was a good one! - (bepatient)
                         Isn't the 'real'-ish problem that, you can't legislate - (Ashton) - (5)
                             Thats just it... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                 No, actually I don't 'equate' such. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     That corporate bland is what we get >today< - (bepatient) - (2)
                                         No, he really *isn't* - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (bepatient)
         Hey Boxley... you might be interested in this - (Nightowl) - (1)
             stern lost 6 of 40+ stations - (boxley)

What a cruddy, unimaginative anti-climax.
148 ms