Jeez guys, just 'cause ya can see why curl grad V=0 --- hit don't mean shite, when it comes to decent Interior Design of a 'Space' a homo-sap has to inhabit, oft daily. [YPB]

This thread + some unnecessarily snide means of arguing past each other: should I take this as another small confirmation that, the people who design code - should not be prominent re layout, in the stage where a GUI is implemented for non abnormal people?

As a merely medium-competent long-term user of various of this stuff, even in Octal: I'm yer Pigeon. I ain't stoopid, just iggerant of details and loath to invest time to learn unnecessary ones: I won't never be a Sys Admin in this life. Too much like accountancy.
I prefer KISS, but can deal with complexity when forced: it's called 'electronics' (or physics.)
I gots questions ~~

1) re the 'Configuration' brouhaha; lots of digital Yes/No think in these phrasings, I wot. What's amiss about: Standard, Advanced menus?
Or for those who love granularity in dosage: Standard, Intermediate, Advanced?

2) As the tweakui discussions abutted on: yes, even Newbies {some of them; many even?} eventually aspire to alter their environment, from er, Experience - especially, I wot: those coming From the oft brain-dead arbitrariness of ugly Doze menus; the way things are stuffed drill-way-down \\ from-illogical-Parents, as afterthoughts: (locale altered with each new Beastworks sub-par 'release'.)

3) Further, 'Std. Med. Advanced' options - allow a beginner, in time + curiosity to see what Is Available! in the next one or two grades of complexity. Put the two option lists side by side say, with shading to show overlap (duplication): there's something that {fortunately..} ain't-MAN; the options educate and - need not be indulged, until some hour for experimenting is freed. Cheap thrills.

4) So WTF is the Problem? I gather /infer that this GConf utility has all the charm of the Lufthansa pilot in Oh Pun, the ergonomics of CP/M debug and the fuck-you,unAnointed-one bellicosity of er, LILO?
So then: Don't Just Have That! See 1)

See, thanks to a fine gift - I have MEPIS & Ubuntu on tap; see things to like in both KDE and elvish country. I *could* also do CL stuff as needed - it's pretty fucking simple logic-with-switches after. all. (The art lies in, simply how well one groks 'logic' and how many codes you've memorized.)
Even rote can serve in the interim.
But it's Still a PITA to imagine That, for some bloody subtle GUI change!

So I'm not 'typical' either - but I can already see that there's nothing Dishonorable in paying sharp attention to the modelling of whatever GUI, making its standard face workable and fairly simple (as pretty much seems to describe the aim of GNOME).

But WTF should the ball become Dropped once the entry-level User is (in fact, I'd say thus far) pretty much accomodated? It should Be - a mouse click (and not a CL) away to add as many transmogrifications as are actually available in teh gearbox == sans doing stupid Billy-style kitchen-sink auto-bloating.
(Hey, doesn't this OS use modules ferCthulusake?) Otherwise - your option is to change distros or some other absurd busy-work-around, due to a big Omission in choice.

Some will never peek. Fine - that's a Big market. (Die Billy/BallyCo)
But I think many more (than the GNOME folk yet cared to consider) want Something More; it's simply a continuum; it is NOT ever: Mortimer Snerd OR Dick Feynman (who, I suspect would never piss away the Time to become an \ufffdber-configurista for-its-own sake, anyway.)

Now, even moi realize that - infinite flexibility carries aleph-null bug possibilities, n! testing time and all manner of Myth/Man/Month consequences.

This is why we have Smart people; people who can wield discretion.
The Ubuntu distro could apply some intelligence towards at least 3 Ranges of personalizing one's Satisfiction. "Snap-in Whatevers" that need 20M lines of gratuitous code for 34 people? Fergeddit; but let's not reductio all suggestions to absurdum, just 'cause it's so much ez fun to do.

Ubuntu Could improve.. if anyone who rilly prefers (just) the ('slick', 'tight' = Billy's actual words) coding fun - ventured far enough from work-lair to enquire.

Meine drei pfennig,

(Would cha cha be ahc ahc, in pidgen-Deutsch?)