Also, it's kind of odd to see other people in this thread claiming that things are unusable unless they're configurable, and then have you come along and claim that putting an option in a preferences dialog increases difficulty.

Please read a little more carefully. What I actually said was that the option that I wanted to change was hard to find. I did not say that providing the option made things harder. *Not* providing the option would have made things harder. The option should have been easier to find: that would reduce difficulty.

And FWIW, most "average users" I've shown spatial Nautilus to have been a little bit reluctant at first, but then realized that for many common file-management tasks, spatial mode is extremely useful. It's only geeks with a near-autistic aversion to change who I've seen kickin up a huge ruckus about it.

Some tasks.

Let me say that again: Some tasks.

I agree, spatial is good for some things. I disagree that all file-handling is easier with a spatial interface.

In my experience, Nautilus doesn't do spatial all that well, in fact. I tried it. After a while, I went searching for the option to run in browser mode.

Wade.