IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Immediate respect
At 21 when I said, "my wife", most people that I met responded with a lot more respect for the relationship than they would if I had said "my girlfriend", "my live-in girlfriend", etc. Despite my age, people recognized and reacted to the label.

I admit that some of the respect is that people would see the ring and not hit on us. (Random note: gays seem less deterred by a ring than heterosexuals. I've been told that that is because a lot of gays get married so to avoid discrimination, but intend all along to continue acting gay.) As someone who didn't want to deal with being hit on, it was nice to reduce that stress. Nothing there about feeling that she was chaste or not chaste. It just reduced the amount of stress, and is nice to have constant recognition that the world knows that I am in a committed relationship.

Similarly the label had an emotional impact on me. The level of commitment with marriage is much higher, and I felt myself react to that. One change was that this allowed me to engage on more difficult levels because I worried less about the other person leaving and more about the relationship.

A note that I should make. I come from a family that regards marriage less seriously than most do. First of all I wasn't raised to be particularly religious. Second, many close relatives have gone through multiple marriages, and cynically view them as temporary. Third, more than a couple of relatives viewed my marriage as temporary.

But even with a background that I would have thought would make me not react to being married, I had a surprisingly strong reaction.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New wondered if that was it
Similarly the label had an emotional impact on me. The level of commitment with marriage is much higher, and I felt myself react to that. One change was that this allowed me to engage on more difficult levels because I worried less about the other person leaving and more about the relationship.
roped and tied I agree with that emotion. But the reason you had this emotion and why other people react is to the vestige of religious "dont touch a married woman". Just because you arnt personally religious doesnt mean the vestige of the religious thoughts on the matter in society at large didnt affect you subliminally.
thanx,
bill
same old crap, con artists ripping off fools. Ah, hell, Catholic Church it start off that way. They All do. Jesus probably had three walnut shells one pea, then he's dead and can't be questioned,
Gabriel Dupre

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     "as American as Levis" - (deSitter) - (79)
         Uhhh...Ross? - (jb4) - (14)
             ferget it, he's on a roll -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?? -NT - (admin) - (1)
                     Hell No!!! And it ain't over now. -NT - (xtensive)
             Re: Uhhh...Ross? - (deSitter) - (10)
                 It shows your hatred of women - (orion) - (7)
                     Re: It shows your hatred of women - (deSitter) - (6)
                         Not every woman is like that - (orion) - (5)
                             Re: Not every woman is like that - (deSitter) - (4)
                                 "Shut up and go away, I'm stereotyping." :) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                 I did read - (orion) - (2)
                                     shakes head and resolves to ignore drones -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Yaaaay! -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Wow - (Nightowl)
                 Words fail... - (jb4)
         Re: "We can't even make our own damn pants" - (lincoln) - (13)
             My last job was at a major shoe manufacturer... - (danreck) - (12)
                 Any thoughts on where the money goes? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Re: Any thoughts on where the money goes? - (danreck) - (1)
                         Ah, US Shoe.... -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Oooohh...A whole $.06 savings! - (jb4)
                 Now, this is odd - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                     It's called 'Executive Compensation' -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Yeah, but what executive cares to increase his compensation - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             That risk is to the stockholders . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Well, I guess - (Arkadiy)
                     How many pairs of shoes are we talking about. - (bepatient)
                     Who has that profit, matters - (ben_tilly)
                 Right - (deSitter)
         What do you know about feminism? - (slugbug) - (49)
             It's all of a part - (deSitter) - (48)
                 Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (ben_tilly) - (46)
                     Re: Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (deSitter) - (45)
                         Cart before horse - (Ashton) - (1)
                             keep john wayne out of it - (boxley)
                         Re: Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Shirley... - (CRConrad)
                         Again, you're ascribing the wrong cause - (ben_tilly) - (40)
                             Additional causes plus a small edit. - (inthane-chan) - (39)
                                 Puritanism is ignorant of, simultaneously opposed-to an idea - (Ashton) - (38)
                                     IMO, Ashton... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
                                     Re: Puritanism is ignorant of, simultaneously opposed-to an - (deSitter) - (34)
                                         Sorry, can't ignore this one. - (Nightowl) - (29)
                                             Re: Sorry, can't ignore this one. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 Whatever - (Nightowl)
                                                 Fundamental Units (new thread) - (deSitter)
                                                 Ross, the Puritan........I never would have thought it! - (jb4)
                                             So you are in favor of gay marriages? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                                                 I never said that - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                     You never said anything against it either - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                         Stop putting words in my mouth - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                             Hint - Nobody said you did. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Hint - Nobody said you did. - (Nightowl)
                                                             But I didn't - reading comprehension time - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                 Re: But I didn't - reading comprehension time - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                     Yes, but.... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                 Bingo! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             childless and married are we? - (boxley) - (14)
                                                 You are incorrect. - (Nightowl) - (13)
                                                     No need to be sorry. Your life, your choice. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                         Re: No need to be sorry. Your life, your choice. - (Nightowl)
                                                     Depending on which Christian Sect you belong to - (boxley) - (10)
                                                         Re: Depending on which Christian Sect you belong to - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                             No need to debate your religion at all - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 That isn't quite what I said - (Nightowl)
                                                                 So infertile people shouldn't be able to marry? (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                         On Catholic birth control - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                             Re: On Catholic birth control - (hnick)
                                                         State marriages are more than a tax sham - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                             marriage matters to whom? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 Immediate respect - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     wondered if that was it - (boxley)
                                         deS gets better and better - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                             Re: deS gets better and better - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 Where you advocated infidelity is... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Re: Where you advocated infidelity is... - (deSitter)
                                     yer last sentence is incorrect - (boxley)
                 But I argue that the workforce needed to be doubled - (orion)

use LRPDism;
179 ms