IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: "We can't even make our own damn pants"
Yes we can, but nobody is willing to buy them at the pricetags displayed by the retailer to cover their costs and give them some profit, let alone the costs and net profit of the workers, manufacturers, and the middlemen. Remember in the 1970s when the garment unions ran commercials as offshoring was just getting started, imploring customers "to look for the union label" so that you'd buy Made in USA clothing? People bought the cheaper imported clothes, and we all can see where our American manufacturing base is today because of it.

lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New My last job was at a major shoe manufacturer...
And I would like to give you some real numbers to chew on. We domestically manufactured xbrand women's shoes for $2.47 a pair (including marketing costs). We retailed those shoes at $89.00 with the understanding that they would be discounted to about $59.00 per pair. It was still TOO EXPENSIVE to pay American non-union workers their average plant wage of $7.00 per hour. These last remaining factories were outsourced to China and Brazil. The cost per pair of the same shoe model (including shipping, tariff, etc...) - $2.41 per pair.

The company was bought out again when their stock dipped to new lows... Ad nauseum. American capitalism at it's finest. Really. Gordon Gecko is alive and well, thankyouverymuch.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Any thoughts on where the money goes?
It's my understanding that in retail prices roughly double from the store to the consumer. (There are exceptions, as I understand it, e.g. groceries.) The shoe company apparently isn't making a huge profit. Where's the money going?

$2.50 -> $80 is 5 doublings. Does it really pass through 4-5 companies before reaching the consumer?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Any thoughts on where the money goes?
This particular company thought that there wasn't enough margin in shoes and diversified into specialty retail and eyeglasses... :-0 . IOW, they pissed the money away. When the company was bought out the first time, they spun off the successful eyewear company. The whole crew of CIEIO's took a total of about $100,000,000.00 in parachutes and the restructuring blew untold hundreds of millions... The operating expenses of domestic manufacturing (COGS) brought the total price of the domestically manufactured shoe to about $4.20 (yes, I know I misled, sue me). Again, their margin was ridiculous. The premise that there wasn't enough margin in shoes to sustain a 110 year old shoe company was laughable. This particular place was just another textbook example of Boomer's cashing out their chips. If you want to look for a silver lining, perhaps when all is said and done, the government can buy the one remaining company in the US (after all mergers have occurred) and we can become a communist state.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Ah, US Shoe....
New Oooohh...A whole $.06 savings!
And that's the difference between union scale and sweatshop wages?!?

Real Impressive! I'm sure the bean-counters' Business Case makes for sume riviting reading!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New Now, this is odd
Somebody (may be two or three of them) has the profit of 60 - 3 = 57 dollars per pair. And they are willing to change the whole process for extra 8 cents? What's wrong with that picture? If 8 cents matter to your company, where are the other 57 dollars?
--

"It\ufffds possible to build a reasonably prosperous society that invests in its people, doesn\ufffdt invade its neighbors, opposes Israel and stands up to America. (Just look at France.)"

-- James Lileks
New It's called 'Executive Compensation'
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Yeah, but what executive cares to increase his compensation
by 0.08/55 = 0.1 percen? At the cost of not wholly insignificant risk?
--

"It\ufffds possible to build a reasonably prosperous society that invests in its people, doesn\ufffdt invade its neighbors, opposes Israel and stands up to America. (Just look at France.)"

-- James Lileks
New That risk is to the stockholders . .
. . sheep that they are. The saving may not seem too significant (and more was probably expected), but times a zillion pairs of shoes it still adds up, and that money goes entirely to the fabled "bottom line" where it can be skimmed. A penny saved is a penny to steal.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Well, I guess
someone getting (say) 400,000,000 compensation may care to actually _do_ something (as in "lift their finger") for lousy 400,000. Still, kinda hard to swallow.
--

-- James Lileks
New How many pairs of shoes are we talking about.
1 million - 60k...not likely

10 million - 600k...you'll raise an eyebrow

50 million? - 3 million ... you'll be making powerpoints to the brass.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

It goes in, it must come out.Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]

New Who has that profit, matters
Suppose that the manufacturer is in a very competitive market selling at $3.50, and the other levels of middle-men have better profit margins. In that case the 8 cent shift is a 16% improvement in company profits. 8 cents doesn't sound like a lot, but 16% makes shareholders notice.

If competition is really fierce and margins are tight (remember, this is the kind of market being pushed hard by Walmart, etc), then the gap could literally be between being profitable and not profitable. It doesn't matter how much profit people later in the business pipeline are making. If you can't negotiate prices where you personally make a profit, you go out of business. Period.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Right
The idea that things can't be made here because Americans are too expensive to employ is both ridiculous and destructive.
-drl
     "as American as Levis" - (deSitter) - (79)
         Uhhh...Ross? - (jb4) - (14)
             ferget it, he's on a roll -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?? -NT - (admin) - (1)
                     Hell No!!! And it ain't over now. -NT - (xtensive)
             Re: Uhhh...Ross? - (deSitter) - (10)
                 It shows your hatred of women - (orion) - (7)
                     Re: It shows your hatred of women - (deSitter) - (6)
                         Not every woman is like that - (orion) - (5)
                             Re: Not every woman is like that - (deSitter) - (4)
                                 "Shut up and go away, I'm stereotyping." :) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                 I did read - (orion) - (2)
                                     shakes head and resolves to ignore drones -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Yaaaay! -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Wow - (Nightowl)
                 Words fail... - (jb4)
         Re: "We can't even make our own damn pants" - (lincoln) - (13)
             My last job was at a major shoe manufacturer... - (danreck) - (12)
                 Any thoughts on where the money goes? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Re: Any thoughts on where the money goes? - (danreck) - (1)
                         Ah, US Shoe.... -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Oooohh...A whole $.06 savings! - (jb4)
                 Now, this is odd - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                     It's called 'Executive Compensation' -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Yeah, but what executive cares to increase his compensation - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             That risk is to the stockholders . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Well, I guess - (Arkadiy)
                     How many pairs of shoes are we talking about. - (bepatient)
                     Who has that profit, matters - (ben_tilly)
                 Right - (deSitter)
         What do you know about feminism? - (slugbug) - (49)
             It's all of a part - (deSitter) - (48)
                 Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (ben_tilly) - (46)
                     Re: Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (deSitter) - (45)
                         Cart before horse - (Ashton) - (1)
                             keep john wayne out of it - (boxley)
                         Re: Reading a little extra into that, aren't you? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Shirley... - (CRConrad)
                         Again, you're ascribing the wrong cause - (ben_tilly) - (40)
                             Additional causes plus a small edit. - (inthane-chan) - (39)
                                 Puritanism is ignorant of, simultaneously opposed-to an idea - (Ashton) - (38)
                                     IMO, Ashton... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
                                     Re: Puritanism is ignorant of, simultaneously opposed-to an - (deSitter) - (34)
                                         Sorry, can't ignore this one. - (Nightowl) - (29)
                                             Re: Sorry, can't ignore this one. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 Whatever - (Nightowl)
                                                 Fundamental Units (new thread) - (deSitter)
                                                 Ross, the Puritan........I never would have thought it! - (jb4)
                                             So you are in favor of gay marriages? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                                                 I never said that - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                     You never said anything against it either - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                         Stop putting words in my mouth - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                             Hint - Nobody said you did. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Hint - Nobody said you did. - (Nightowl)
                                                             But I didn't - reading comprehension time - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                 Re: But I didn't - reading comprehension time - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                     Yes, but.... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                 Bingo! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             childless and married are we? - (boxley) - (14)
                                                 You are incorrect. - (Nightowl) - (13)
                                                     No need to be sorry. Your life, your choice. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                         Re: No need to be sorry. Your life, your choice. - (Nightowl)
                                                     Depending on which Christian Sect you belong to - (boxley) - (10)
                                                         Re: Depending on which Christian Sect you belong to - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                             No need to debate your religion at all - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 That isn't quite what I said - (Nightowl)
                                                                 So infertile people shouldn't be able to marry? (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                         On Catholic birth control - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                             Re: On Catholic birth control - (hnick)
                                                         State marriages are more than a tax sham - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                             marriage matters to whom? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 Immediate respect - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     wondered if that was it - (boxley)
                                         deS gets better and better - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                             Re: deS gets better and better - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 Where you advocated infidelity is... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Re: Where you advocated infidelity is... - (deSitter)
                                     yer last sentence is incorrect - (boxley)
                 But I argue that the workforce needed to be doubled - (orion)

Nobody EVER expects the Spanish Inquisition!
389 ms