I'm sorry about your SIL too, Chris. It's so hard to watch people continue to put themselves in the same situations over and over.

In my mother's case, her worst problem was managing money. (And she remarried a worthless slug of a person, but we shan't go there. ;-) The only way to keep her from mismanaging her finances was to make the decisions for her, or more accurately, prevent her from making financial decisions. After her stroke she ended up in a nursing home, so that part of her pathology finally was put under control.

Reminds me of when a friend and I took another friend under our "management" and tried to help him manage his money... it failed completely, and ended with the IRS and the Police both coming to our doors. Fortunately we got out of the liability of it, but I had to ultimately abandon said friend who was causing all the problems.... even though I promise his mother on her death-bed I would look after her son..

Yeah right... some people just can't and won't help themselves, and trying to help them just gets you ensnared in their messes.

Stupid SOB finally left town with police warrants out everywhere... hope he never comes back.

Nightowl >8#