IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, WTF are you talking about moron?
Based on 1945 prices and given a rate of 4% inflation, gas should be a lot higher today than it should be.

Gas prices are based on oil prices, availability of oil refineries and how much they can produce. You have to look at the whole market of oil:

A transcript from the Washington Post on an Interview with Guy Caruso, Administrator of the Energy Information Administration, shows that gas prices have hit a 23-year high (Washington Post, 2004, p. 1). Mr. Caruso states \ufffdThere are two main reasons why gasoline prices have risen this year. First, the price of crude oil, from which gasoline is refined, has increased from about $30 per barrel in early December to more than $40 in recent days. This increase alone would explain about 25 cents a gallon of the increase in gasoline (Washington Post, 2004, p. 2).\ufffd Mr. Caruso continues, \ufffdThe second main reason gasoline prices are higher is that our growth in gasoline demand this year has outpaced our growth in supply. As a result, our inventories are very low, which reduces flexibility throughout the U.S. gasoline market system. Thus, any problems with supply or unexpected increase in demand are met with higher prices (Washington Post, 2004, p. 2).\ufffd Apparently the two main factors are an increase in oil prices, and an excess demand.

What major factors have caused the excess demand for oil in the world? Mr. Caruso answers, \ufffdEconomic development in Asia, particularly China and India, has been robust in recent years. As the Chinese economy has grown, their appetite for oil has increased such that China is now the second largest oil consuming country in the world. Oil demand growth in China currently represents a large share of global oil demand growth. Global oil demand has outpaced growth in supply, contributing to the current tightness in oil markets (Washington Post, 2004, p. 4).\ufffd

Washington Post (2004, May 27, 2004). Transcript Rising Gas Prices. Retrieved August 11, 2004, from [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46044-2004May21.html|http://www.washingto...44-2004May21.html]

So the price of oil can accout for a 25 cents increase per gallon, yet gas has raised up more than that. So what is the other factor? Demand for oil and gas, and economics teaches us that as demand rises, and supply does not keep up, that prices rise also. So this can account for the remaining price hikes in gas.

So then your argument that involvement in Iraq was the only factor of the gas price hikes is a fallacy. You've obviously ingored the rising demand for gas in the world.

Ok, now many non-government US citizens were attacked or beheaded by terrorists. They were there because a corporation sent them there to do business with Iraq. Truck drivers, business consultants, teachers, and other non-military types. There is, indeed US corporations doing business with Iraq, and not just the US government. Hence you have committed another fallacy. US companies continue to sell to Iraq, when once Iraqis had to smuggle US goods in, for example. There are services being sold to Iraq as well, to help stuggling businesses, one of my past instructors runs a company that does just that for Iraq and other parts of the world. So there is evidence of trade.

Jordan was a loss to begin with, before the 9/11 attacks, they didn't like us because of our support of Israel. Iraq was a lost cause, no support of the US and very hostile to the US in viewpoints. What exactly did Jordan do for us? How many terrorists did they turn in, what aid or help did they give us to recover from the 9/11 attacks? So I question just how good an ally they've been. I do believe it was more of a pollitical thing than a real world thing. Apparently we traded Iraq for Jordan, and gained a real ally.

As Iraq grows and recovers, so will their economy and military. Once they are able to pump more oil and refine more gas, they can grow their economy and help to lower gas and oil prices. Yet you turn a blind-eye to this, and only see the short-term effect, and not the long-term effect and the payoff.

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

[link|http://www.xormad.com:4096/district268|I am from District 268].
New Watch Norm attempt his hand at facts
Unfortunately he's picking the wrong ones.

First of all I never said that Bush is the only factor in current oil prices. I did say that you could choose to judge him that way. But those statements are different.

On top of your other factors for prices of oil, another that is frequently cited is uncertainty about the stability of the Middle-East. I've seen estimates that this contributes about $10/barrel to the cost of crude. Is that the only factor in price increases? Of course not - in fact you correctly label some others. But it is a big component (by the above estimate about 1/3 of the rise from 1999 to the present) and it is a component largely caused by this administration.

As for our popularity in the Middle-East, I just doublechecked and I'd named the wrong country. Jordan didn't like us much in 2002, we only got a favourable rating from a third of them. Of course that was a darned sight better than the 15% we're at now. There are lost causes and really badly lost causes. One of our traditional friends there is Egypt - and why not, when we give them $4 billion/year? Well 98% of them dislike us these days. Our best ally is Saudi Arabia, you might remember them as the people who you said would never support attacking us because it isn't in their interest. Our support there dropped from 12% to 4%. When 96% of a country that we really depend on dislikes us, we've got a problem.

Now you don't seem to see this as a problem. You're willing to write off the support that we had in the Middle East. You're willing to ignore the fact that our wars have caused uncertainty which is bad for oil. You're willing to not think about how we get out of this mess.

But then again, you're an idiot.

Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Watch Ben go down in flames
You didn't say any other factors, and implied that was the only factor. In fact, you blamed Bush for the high oil prices due to the war in Iraq. Yet there are other factors that Bush is not responsible for like the growing demand in other countries.

The middle-east has been unstable long before the Iraqi War. The source I cited, which has more credibility than you, said there was only a 25 cent rise in gas price due to the $10 increase in a barrel of oil, which as you claim, is due to the unstability of the middle-east. You also claim that this source is wrong, and instead of 25 cents increase it is more like 1/3rd the price, yet you have no source to cite this, unlike me.

Confusing Jordan with another country is just the start of your mistakes. Apparently you cannot tell the difference between one or another. US support has been dropping long before the Iraqi War, in fact the Hatred of the US spreads through the would and even Canada has dropped in support. This AntiAmericanism has reached even you, it is being spread by the terrorists and enforced by people like Michael Moore. This AntiAmericanism existed before Bush even took office, and has been growing since the past 30 years or so. How soon you forget the Iranian Hostage crisis? Yet I suspect you've obviously confused that with something else as well?

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

New While. You're. Raving.
Strive for, at least [link|http://maddox.xmission.com/tictacs.html| consistency].

Your Controlling-Psyche finds you in contempt of Courtesans.
Meanwhile, have a Tic-Tac\ufffd and cool out. In a few days, you'll be back to.. whatever.

(We still love-you-but-hate-the-bad-meds you've been overdosed with)
New Ah Ashton, yet you don't understand
you want me to commit plagerism and copy everything Maddox says?

[link|http://maddox.xmission.com/plagiarism.html|http://maddox.xmissi...m/plagiarism.html]

So I take a different position, use different words, etc. On Slashdot this is seen as funny and I am considered a Comic Genius there. My karama is excellent there.

You've made the Maddox = Orion Blastar fallacy. Shame on you!

Are you THAT fucking stoopud, Norm! - (jb4) - (94)
         Yes, he is. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         le mot juste in this connection - (rcareaga) - (68)
             Much better than - (orion) - (66)
                 OhmygodIcantstoplaughing! - (inthane-chan) - (65)
                     Serenade for Beef Flute and Prozac, in Gee Whizzer -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Stop! Yer killing me! - (jb4)
                         Ooops! Dupe! - (jb4)
                     You are a bore - (orion) - (59)
                         When I see something that approaches his genius here... - (inthane-chan) - (58)
                             You've missed it - (orion) - (57)
                                 Learn to speak english. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     What's that aphorism about wrestling with a pig? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         I know. - (inthane-chan)
                                 Maddox is a loudmouthed boor. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 thanks for clearing that up, then - (rcareaga) - (51)
                                     Okay, that's a little too far, I think - (Nightowl) - (50)
                                         Norman is as Norman does - (boxley) - (49)
                                             Yeah, that's true but... - (Nightowl) - (48)
                                                 Seems like an upswing - (broomberg) - (47)
                                                     I could care less, actually. - (n3jja) - (18)
                                                         You mean you *couldn't* care less? -NT - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                                             No, that's an American idiom - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                                 No they fucking don't, you philistinic colonial baboon. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                     It doesn't read correctly... - (bepatient)
                                                                     Nopers. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                         "Avoid it as Nonstandard" - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                             Missing the point. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                 saying it sarcastically - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                     dont come here and ask someone to bum a fag then -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         or knock up your girlfriend, for that matter. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                 Trouble is, too many *don't* say it sarcastically. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     And we've discussed this before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                         And I could not have cared less, then! - (folkert)
                                                                         Sorry, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                             Peter, try reading it like this: - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                 No, I think it really *is* an implied 'not' - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     Isn't it annoying though... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         As was the original - (FuManChu)
                                                     I got your message - (orion) - (27)
                                                         Overgeneralizing - (ChrisR) - (22)
                                                             Once more, with clarity.... - (n3jja) - (21)
                                                                 Those who call attention to themselves... - (ChrisR) - (19)
                                                                     Re: Those who call attention to themselves... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         Tis true. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Post of the Year, so far. IMHO. :-) Thanks Chris. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Wasted in the flame forums. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Great post, Chris... a few questions? - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                                         Wish I knew the answers - (ChrisR) - (7)
                                                                             That makes two of us :) - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                                                 Conscience is a tricky bugger - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                     Thanks - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                         you can be a good fucking flamer - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                             Oh sure, I can say the words - (Nightowl)
                                                                                     Some people always find a way to make the wrong choice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         No Kidding, Scott... - (Nightowl)
                                                                     2 things - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                                         *sniff* - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                             *snicker* -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                                 *shrug* couldn't help myself ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     sorry you had to have been there - (boxley)
                                                                     We're not worthy...we're not worthy ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                 Spitting on a grave - (orion)
                                                         No you didn't. You're still here. - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                             Playing Russian Rulette with Norm? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 I believe that, "Blow Me", is the proper response. -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                     Trust me, you aren't even worth it - (orion)
                                 Now that you've made it clear - (Ashton)
                     ROFL!!!!! - (jb4) - (1)
                         I've got a few here: - (inthane-chan)
             unfortunately Homo Fatuous is the Sunday crowd -NT - (boxley)
         I am not stupid and I am sticking to my statement - (orion) - (16)
             Re: I am not stupid &c - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Ah yes - (orion)
                 Now that's an LRPD! - (lincoln)
             WTF are you talking about, moron? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 No, WTF are you talking about moron? - (orion) - (4)
                     Watch Norm attempt his hand at facts - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Watch Ben go down in flames - (orion) - (2)
                             While. You're. Raving. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Ah Ashton, yet you don't understand - (orion)
             "Jane, you ignorant slut.." -NT - (Ashton)
             Norm's calculus: - (jb4) - (1)
                 On that...we may agree. - (bepatient)
             I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                 But a US President said, "Your President is not a crook!" -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Precisely - (Arkadiy)
         Bzzt. - (bepatient) - (6)
             Thank you - (orion)
             Now, parse the WHOLE statement - (jb4) - (4)
                 Read it again Moron! - (orion) - (3)
                     He just wanted to yell at you. - (bepatient)
                     You do simile as badly as you do facts! - (jb4)
                     In that spirit, then - - (Ashton)