IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I could care less, actually.
I stopped bothering to pay him any attention a long time ago.

My advice to Norm is to stop nibbling on the barrel. Put it in your mouth and pull the trigger.

If you think I'm being unreasonable cruel, then Fuck You, too. I've had enough.
New You mean you *couldn't* care less?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New No, that's an American idiom
..and everyone knows exactly what it means.
-drl
New No they fucking don't, you philistinic colonial baboon.
:-P

A chap has to maintain the standards expected of this forum.

It's "I could care less", when what you really mean is "I couldn't care less"?

And I thought British English was a weird language. (It is.)

Peter
New It doesn't read correctly...
...because when spoken it is done extremely sarcastically.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Nopers.
As Bill pointed out, when you say it sarcastically, it takes on a different meaning.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New "Avoid it as Nonstandard"
His Tory lordship is correct.

[link|http://www.bartleby.com/68/29/1529.html|Bartleby]:

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923\ufffd). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

could care less, couldn\ufffdt care less

Although many have tried, no one has yet satisfactorily explained how the negative fell out of the older and accepted couldn\ufffdt care less, although logic of course says that could care less makes no sense. Both forms are clich\ufffds, and both are certainly best restricted to the lower Conversational levels and the most Informal of writing. But could care less could also earn you the scorn of logic lovers and clich\ufffd haters alike. Avoid it as Nonstandard.

I agree. It's one of those idioms that people say without thinking about. Rather like "The point is is that ..."

It reminds me of that famous song, sung by Billie Holiday, The Platters, Fred Sanford, and others: "If I couldn't care less" - [link|http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/B/Billie-Holiday/If-I-Didn't-Care.html|Jack Lawrence / Milton Ager]. ;-p

Cheers,
Scott.
New Missing the point.
Yes, it's not logical. When spoken straightforwardly. But as has been pointed out twice, saying it sarcastically gives it a new meaning.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New saying it sarcastically
...in the USA gives it a different meaning.

Saying it sarcastically over here simply marks you out as a loony, which is why I was confused.

Peter
New dont come here and ask someone to bum a fag then
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New or knock up your girlfriend, for that matter.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Trouble is, too many *don't* say it sarcastically. ;-)
New And we've discussed this before
Bzzt. Wrong. The saying means exactly what it says.

Would it be clearer to you if the saying was, "I suppose that I could care less."?

The claim is that it is possible to care less. The fact that you need to think about and say it indicates that that possibility is remote and unlikely. Of course I pointed this out to you before, but you didn't seem to get it then either.

I guess that someone out there could be stupid enough to find this kind of roundabout insult even more opaque than you do.

Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New And I could not have cared less, then!
But, I supposed I found out I could care less. I guess I was careless.

/me is not an asshole... all of the time.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New Sorry, but..
I believe this has become an authentic Idiomatic Expression which, despite the possibility of 'interpreting it' as you suggest: always and everywhere meant and means:

[About the topic raised] I don't give a shit\ufffd!!
(And a soup\ufffdon of.. See how non-PC I Am !?! cha cha cha -- in recent years)

That's my brilliant analysis and.. I'm Sticking To It
(see how incisive, perspicuous and Resolute I Am ??)

moi
New Peter, try reading it like this:
(the elipsis is in square brackets)

"I could care less about Norm [but I don't]."

or perhaps...

"I could care less about Norm [if I wanted to, but since that would take additional effort, and I have already expended too much effort already on this, I don't].

See? Americlish! It's a wonderful language...

;-\ufffd
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New No, I think it really *is* an implied 'not'
Same way, "The server needs upgraded," means, "The server needs to be upgraded." Or, "The trash needs emptied," for, "The trash needs to be emptied." Dropping the "to be" has become very common the last couple of years. It bugs the shit out of me.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Isn't it annoying though...
When Shakespeare's question is shortened down to, "or not". Delivered sarcastically, of course.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New As was the original
...delivered sarcastically, that is. Hamlet knows Polonius is eavesdropping.
     Are you THAT fucking stoopud, Norm! - (jb4) - (94)
         Yes, he is. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         le mot juste in this connection - (rcareaga) - (68)
             Much better than - (orion) - (66)
                 OhmygodIcantstoplaughing! - (inthane-chan) - (65)
                     Serenade for Beef Flute and Prozac, in Gee Whizzer -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Stop! Yer killing me! - (jb4)
                         Ooops! Dupe! - (jb4)
                     You are a bore - (orion) - (59)
                         When I see something that approaches his genius here... - (inthane-chan) - (58)
                             You've missed it - (orion) - (57)
                                 Learn to speak english. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     What's that aphorism about wrestling with a pig? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         I know. - (inthane-chan)
                                 Maddox is a loudmouthed boor. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 thanks for clearing that up, then - (rcareaga) - (51)
                                     Okay, that's a little too far, I think - (Nightowl) - (50)
                                         Norman is as Norman does - (boxley) - (49)
                                             Yeah, that's true but... - (Nightowl) - (48)
                                                 Seems like an upswing - (broomberg) - (47)
                                                     I could care less, actually. - (n3jja) - (18)
                                                         You mean you *couldn't* care less? -NT - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                                             No, that's an American idiom - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                                 No they fucking don't, you philistinic colonial baboon. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                     It doesn't read correctly... - (bepatient)
                                                                     Nopers. - (admin) - (6)
                                                                         "Avoid it as Nonstandard" - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                             Missing the point. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                 saying it sarcastically - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                     dont come here and ask someone to bum a fag then -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         or knock up your girlfriend, for that matter. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                 Trouble is, too many *don't* say it sarcastically. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     And we've discussed this before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                         And I could not have cared less, then! - (folkert)
                                                                         Sorry, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                             Peter, try reading it like this: - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                 No, I think it really *is* an implied 'not' - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     Isn't it annoying though... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         As was the original - (FuManChu)
                                                     I got your message - (orion) - (27)
                                                         Overgeneralizing - (ChrisR) - (22)
                                                             Once more, with clarity.... - (n3jja) - (21)
                                                                 Those who call attention to themselves... - (ChrisR) - (19)
                                                                     Re: Those who call attention to themselves... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         Tis true. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Post of the Year, so far. IMHO. :-) Thanks Chris. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Wasted in the flame forums. - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Great post, Chris... a few questions? - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                                         Wish I knew the answers - (ChrisR) - (7)
                                                                             That makes two of us :) - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                                                 Conscience is a tricky bugger - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                     Thanks - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                         you can be a good fucking flamer - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                             Oh sure, I can say the words - (Nightowl)
                                                                                     Some people always find a way to make the wrong choice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                         No Kidding, Scott... - (Nightowl)
                                                                     2 things - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                                         *sniff* - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                             *snicker* -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                                 *shrug* couldn't help myself ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     sorry you had to have been there - (boxley)
                                                                     We're not worthy...we're not worthy ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                 Spitting on a grave - (orion)
                                                         No you didn't. You're still here. - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                             Playing Russian Rulette with Norm? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 I believe that, "Blow Me", is the proper response. -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                     Trust me, you aren't even worth it - (orion)
                                 Now that you've made it clear - (Ashton)
                     ROFL!!!!! - (jb4) - (1)
                         I've got a few here: - (inthane-chan)
             unfortunately Homo Fatuous is the Sunday crowd -NT - (boxley)
         I am not stupid and I am sticking to my statement - (orion) - (16)
             Re: I am not stupid &c - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Ah yes - (orion)
                 Now that's an LRPD! - (lincoln)
             WTF are you talking about, moron? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 No, WTF are you talking about moron? - (orion) - (4)
                     Watch Norm attempt his hand at facts - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Watch Ben go down in flames - (orion) - (2)
                             While. You're. Raving. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Ah Ashton, yet you don't understand - (orion)
             "Jane, you ignorant slut.." -NT - (Ashton)
             Norm's calculus: - (jb4) - (1)
                 On that...we may agree. - (bepatient)
             I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                 But a US President said, "Your President is not a crook!" -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: I vaguely remember a quote from Chesterton - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Precisely - (Arkadiy)
         Bzzt. - (bepatient) - (6)
             Thank you - (orion)
             Now, parse the WHOLE statement - (jb4) - (4)
                 Read it again Moron! - (orion) - (3)
                     He just wanted to yell at you. - (bepatient)
                     You do simile as badly as you do facts! - (jb4)
                     In that spirit, then - - (Ashton)

Nine for Mortal Chellovecks doomed to snuff it.
206 ms