1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was
Owl wrote:
I explicitly stated that I read EVERYTHING

Rick wrote:
Yes, but your post then misrepresented the substance of it.

AND
Well, no. You misrepresented the issue, and misrepresented what I said. Oh well.

Show me examples of misrepresentation, and please cite. :)

Correct. I did not state that dropping someone from the list roster out of pique is OK. Quite the opposite.

Nor did I ever state that you said it was. :)

You say "flaming" again. Denied. Again, I invite you to cite. Otherwise, you're just yet another one of the attack-the-critic crowd.

I cited 6 examples, want more?

And, if by "biggest argument" you mean it was my main point that picking a big-ass hoohaw with Karsten over causing several Web-site access tokens per year to be sent to the list is disproportionate and dumb, you are correct.

I agree the fight itself was dumb, but the issue it was about, was not. Karsten did not take into consideration the wishes and opinions of the list members, and simply did what he did and announced it, not asked.

Now, if you'd just stuck to that and made it clear, rather than haring off after a mistake about a listadmin malfeasance that everyone agreed was such -- even Karsten, pretty much immediately after he did it -- we could have had a reasonable discussion rather than wasting your time and mine (to the accompaniment of mob ritual approval from the usual suspects).

My discussion was quite reasonable. :) Yours on the other hand....

Since you mention that, what he'd been asked to do was to post a notice before doing it. And, actually, he did so. Now, you're the gal who says she goes back and reads everything minutely: Go ahead. You can confirm that for yourself.

I saw his notice. Posting a notice that you are doing something, and consulting with others before doing it are two entirely different things. He should have run the whole idea by the list before using the address for anything.

From my own perspective, who the hell cares about "posting notices" and "asking the list", when all we're talking about is someone registering a username/password pair for Web-site access? Sheesh. If he'd been doing ten of those a day, maybe. But with maybe a half-dozen over a year, the mail volume simply isn't significant, and the notion that some precious collective resource is being consumed or used in that process is simply crazy. Hello? It's just postings of Web-site access passwords!

I would. I would care alot about being asked, because then I would feel like my opinion counted. Some people don't want ANY messages they haven't asked for, and they have that right. Some people have fears about the list address getting misused, and they would be right to be cautious about any use it might get other than to deal with list messages between members. I agree with a majority of people who posted on the list that if they wanted these passwords, they could have simply asked for them, rather than notifying everyone of them. Still, had Karsten asked, or consulted with them, the whole situation might have been different.

Owl wrote:
You repeating over and over that it was a dumb idea in the first place to expect him to ask...

Rick wrote:
Incorrect. I didn't say this even once. You might want to re-read.

I'll go back and find examples. :)

I didn't attribute such a statement to you. I merely said you appeared to be confused about the nature of the issue that had been under discussion.

You seem to fail to understand there was more than one issue under discussion. There was a) Karsten's use of the list address for these subscriptions. b) A discussion of Karsten's PREVIOUS use of the list address for similar purposes, (something I have not yet located in the list archives, but if someone would give me a date this occurred, or where to look, I will), c) Karsten's disrespect for other Admins, including Peter and Scott and Rob, in taking actions without consulting them, BOTH about the use of the address, AND removing a member without just cause. and d) Whether or not the list members had the right to speak up and have a voice or state their wishes.

Those are the 4 MAIN issues, and there were also a few minor ones, such as Peter's treatment by Karsten, and some incident that occurred on something called Lugod, (something else I have not located how to read about yet).

Cite, please. There was a great deal of noise in the thread, but the only reason that would make any sense in context was his wrongful attempt to drop MikeV from the list roster. That was abuse of admin access. The other thing was just a few messages a year with Web-site access tokens.

That would have been the main reason, I agree, but many many people stated Karsten had done other things that abused his Admin priveleges in the past, and as soon as I can figure out where to read about them, I will indeed cite them. For now, I have to trust that all those people aren't wrong. If you would point me to whatever date or site I can read about Lugod, or anything else Rob mentioned in his post, I would be happy to go read it.

No, I did not state this at any time. What I said was that bellyaching about several messages a year with Web-site access tokens was piddly-ass shit not worth fighting over.

Fine, bandy over semantics. You didn't say "nothing wrong" you said, "Caused no harm" Bottom line, you didn't say he shouldn't have done it.

1. The term "taking any actions" is so vague as to render the entire sentence meaningless in this context. Fortunately, nobody suggested Karsten (or any other listadmin) "ask the list before taking any actions".

Taking any actions = doing anything that might affect the list, i.e.: changing the way it is run, changing the content that comes to it, using it for anything other than the list itself, removing people, changing statuses of people, etc. etc. etc. It is COMMON COURTESY when co-moderating any group to ASK the other Admins about anything you want to do when changing or using the list/group for anything other than it's original purpose.

3. What I said was dumb was raising a stink over Karsten having several Web-site tokens per year posted to the mailing list.

So you are now saying it's dumb for people to express their opinion if they don't like something? I agree it was a "dumb fight" but the members expressing their desires for him not to use the list address, was not dumb.

Again, you are merely regurgitating someone else's vague and disreputable accusation. Once again, I call your attention back to my point: If you are going to go around making derogatory assertions of fact of this sort, you need to substantiate them. This is now the third time I'm asking you to show me where previously Karsten abused his listadmin access. Telling me that someone else (Rob or whoever) claimed that to be the case merely means you are prepared to repeat gossip as fact.

And I stated before, tell me where to go read about the incident "last December" or where to go read about Lugod, or better yet, give me Rob's email and I'll write him and ask, and I'll be happy to research some more and cite examples when found. I don't consider something gossip when it's stated by many more than one person and in more than one place, I start to give it credence and check it out.

You have already declined twice to back up your assertion with evidence, and this is now your third time. If you decline that one, too, I'll be left to conclude that you are fine with launching attacks on people's integrity behind their back, and refusing to back them up when challenged. That would be unfortunate.

I never declined anything. I told you, tell me where to read about it. That stands for anyone, tell me where to read, and I'll do it. I've launched no attack on you, I've not flamed you once, I've not insulted you once. I've simply read at length, a long drawn out series of posts and made observations about them, and not JUST about you.

Owl wrote:
I disagree. ANYTHING that affects the list, comes to the list, appears on the list, or otherwise interacts with the list that was not already known about by all, is a change.

Rick wrote:
So, each and every post to the list is, itself, "a change". I see.

In one sense, yes, it is. Every post in every group on the internet "changes" the group's content. However, I said a change not already known about by all, as in "not a regular member post". Does that make it clearer?

Four people flew off the handle and felt that a notification message embodied "harm". Yes. That was nutso.

If it bothered them in any manner, it is deemed "harm" to them. Go read a law book, and you'll see.

What exactly is your point? I told people they were behaving stupidly. If you are confusing that with personal attack, you are simply mistaken. (Perhaps you're used to AOL and other refuges for extreme hypersensitivity?)

No, you didn't JUST tell people they were behaving stupidly. You used derogatory adjectives, demeaning comments and outright snide remarks. I'll demonstrate how you could have told people they were behaving stupidly below:

Cite 1) To Brad: "Go for _multidimensional_ chump status, Brad: You know you want to."

Instead of Cite 1, you could have said: "I know you are trying to get under my skin, but I won't let you."

Cite 2) To Brad: "I'm just rubbing your nose in what you wrote -- pretty much the exact way one would with a misbehaved puppy."

Instead of Cite 2, "I'm just trying to get you to see why I think what you said is wrong."

Cite 3) To Beep: "Which means you've gratuitously intruded thumb-sucking soap opera in place of rational discussion. Congratulations."

Instead of Cite 3, "I don't think you are being very rational here."

Cite 4) To Mike & Peter: "Mike, I've just had a truly depressing realisation. It's depressing because I had assumed you were a bright sort. Ditto Peter."

Instead of Cite 4, "I thought you were both pretty smart, are you telling me you really do NOT get this?"

Cite 5) Also to Mike and Peter: "I was being _charitable_ in assuming you two were merely a few gears shy of a working clockworks. The alternative is that you're more than a bit nuts."

Instead of Cite 5, "I don't think you know what you are talking about"

Cite 6) To Brad: "For example: What kind of freak name is 'Yaz'? Get that crud out of my mailbox, Brad; it's pissing me off." That's piddly-ass annoyance."

And instead of Cite 6, "What does Yaz stand for, and I don't want this email in my email box, Brad."

I say people are being wack jobs when they behave like wack jobs. I say *I'm* a wack job when I behave like a wack job. If by some bizarre chance you think I was making a literal assertion about need for psychiatric attention, then you are profoundly mistaken.

Justifying why you are flaming someone does not make it not flaming them. I didn't mean you meant they needed mental help, I knew your intent, which was to demean them, and you did.

In fact, I threw that in there just to see if you would go for it, and call it "flaming", specifically so I could make that point.

Kewl. :)

I will substantiate anything you like....

And yet you don't. You post defamatory factual claims, and then refuse to substantiate them. Oh well.

Just point me to the threads in question. Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New Here you go, Rick!
December incident with Karsten and Aberdeen:

Rick wrote:>>This is now the third time I'm asking you to show me where previously Karsten abused his listadmin access.<<

FROM THE MAILING LIST:
Date: 7 Dec 2002 01:51:23 -0000
Message-ID: <20021207015123.26731.qmail@web11.cheetahmail.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
From: "Aberdeen Group" <confirm-192110296-0-73417168-2qevqbv5fzruq@adm.cheetahmail.com>
Reply-To: confirm-192110296-0-73417168-2qevqbv5fzruq@adm.cheetahmail.com
To: iwe@vtluug.org
Subject: [Iwe] Aberdeen Group Registration Confirmation - Please REPLY
Sender: iwe-admin@www.vtluug.org
Errors-To: iwe-admin@www.vtluug.org
X-BeenThere: iwe@www.vtluug.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0.11
Precedence: bulk
List-Help: <[link|mailto:iwe-request@www.vtluug.org?subject=help>|mailto:iwe-request@w...org?subject=help>]
List-Post: <[link|mailto:iwe@www.vtluug.org>|mailto:iwe@www.vtluug.org>]
List-Subscribe: <[link|http://www.vtluug.org/mailman/listinfo/iwe>|http://www.vtluug.or...man/listinfo/iwe>],
\t<[link|mailto:iwe-request@www.vtluug.org?subject=subscribe>|mailto:iwe-request@w...ubject=subscribe>]
List-Id: IWETHEY Mailing List <iwe.www.vtluug.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <[link|http://www.vtluug.org/mailman/listinfo/iwe>|http://www.vtluug.or...man/listinfo/iwe>],
\t<[link|mailto:iwe-request@www.vtluug.org?subject=unsubscribe>|mailto:iwe-request@w...ject=unsubscribe>]
List-Archive: <[link|http://www.vtluug.org/pipermail/iwe/>|http://www.vtluug.org/pipermail/iwe/>]

====================================================================
PLEASE CONFIRM: Aberdeen Group Registration
====================================================================

THANKS for registering to receive e-mail subscriptions from Aberdeen Group.
In order to protect our subscribers from spam emails, we ask that
you confirm your registration:

CONFIRM BY EMAIL -> JUST REPLY
From static@yceran.org Fri Dec 6 22:46:57 2002
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 14:52:17 +1100
To: iwe@vtluug.org
Subject: Re: [Iwe] Thank You

What's this rubbish and why has it let a mailing list successfully subscribe?

Wade.
From bbarclay@jsyncmanager.org Fri Dec 6 23:01:42 2002
To: "iwe@vtluug.org" <iwe@vtluug.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:56:08 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [Iwe] Aberdeen Group Registration Confirmation - Please REPLY

On 7 Dec 2002 01:51:23 -0000, Aberdeen Group wrote:
Hey Everyone:

>THANKS for registering to receive e-mail subscriptions from Aberdeen Group.
>In order to protect our subscribers from spam emails, we ask that
>you confirm your registration:

\tWTF is this crap? Who registered this mailing list to receive
this stuff?

\tWhomever it was, I'm not particularily happy about it. If I
wanted their junk, I'd register for it myself.
From karsten@guildenstern.dyndns.org Sun Dec 8 02:45:45 2002
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 07:54:26 +0000

I signed for an Aberdeen Group password. Their posts won't hit the list
unless the sending address is subscribed. I manually approved the conf
messages.

I'll track down the unsub info when I'm tired of manually kicking any
posts that come from their address.

Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]
From ronelson@vt.edu Sun Dec 8 05:18:20 2002
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:23:44 -0500
To: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>, iwe <iwe@vtluug.org>
Subject: RE: [Iwe] Aberdeen Group Registration Confirmation - Please REPLY

Is there a *reason* that it's being sent to the list?

Rob Nelson
ronelson@vt.edu
From static@yceran.org Sun Dec 8 05:41:13 2002
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:46:43 +1100
Subject: Re: [Iwe] Aberdeen Group Registration Confirmation - Please

Okay, now why is this useful? And why did you see fit to subscribe the list
to them without consulting the other people subscribed to this list? I'm
sorry, but I wasn't aware it was your personal mail list, Karsten.
(SKIPPED IRRELEVANT POST, KARSTEN ANSWERS ROB)
From karsten@guildenstern.dyndns.org Sun Dec 8 17:47:59 2002
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 22:56:48 +0000
To: iwe <iwe@vtluug.org>

This list (or specifically: the administrator approval dialog, which is
where the messages will end up) is being used as the contact point for
this aberdeen account. Most significanlty, if there's a need to get a
password reset or reminder sent, it will go to a known address.

I subscribed to Aberdeen as one of several free-for-use-but-registration-
required systems (The New York Times, LA Times, etc., are others).
Aberdeen doesn't allow the iwethey/iwethey id/passphrase the key is
email/passphrase -- iwethey@vtluug.org/iwethey.

Peace.
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]
(SEVERAL MESSAGES ABOUT THE ISSUE-- SNIPPED)
From ronelson@vt.edu Sun Dec 8 23:20:41 2002
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 23:26:13 -0500
To: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: RE: [Iwe] Re: Aberdeen Group Registration Confirmation - Please REPLY

FWIW, please remember that this mailing list and the forums do NOT overlap
100%. There are people on the boards that aren't here, and people on here that
aren't on the boards. And, as a fellow list admin, in the future try and let
at least me know what's up :)

Sorry to hear about your problems, Karsten. If there's anything I can do
(aside from make this my last comment in this thread!) let me know.

Rob Nelson
ronelson@vt.edu

Rick, do you need more? There's a lot more. This clearly proves that Karsten had done this before, and is not gossip, it comes straight from the archives.

Nightowl >8#

P.S. Now I have some important things to do to get ready for therapy today, so I'll deal with the other parts I promised to research, later.
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New Heads Up, Raptorous One (new thread)
Created as new thread #125744 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=125744|Heads Up, Raptorous One]

"Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy."
-- Aristotle via Alex
     (Does) IT Eat Its Own? - (Ashton) - (103)
         Re: (Does) IT Eat Its Own? - (deSitter) - (2)
             Correction. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Re: Correction. - (deSitter)
         Seconded - (jbrabeck)
         Aye. - (imric) - (2)
             Plea to all of Karsten's friends/followers - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 Sent... - (imric)
         Re: (Does) IT Eat Its Own? - (Nightowl)
         My two cents ( was Re: (Does) IT Eat Its Own?) - (Nightowl) - (87)
             Banned? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Happens a lot in the Yahoo Groups - (orion)
                 Re: Banned? - (Nightowl)
             More two cents - (orion)
             Correction: Nobody was banned - (rickmoen) - (82)
                 Karsten's reasons are in 125001 - (Another Scott)
                 Uh Rick? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Yeah, you're right - (rickmoen)
                 Riiighhht - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Ah, here we have Mister Constructive! - (rickmoen) - (1)
                         Of course you aren't. - (bepatient)
                 Re: Correction: Nobody was banned - (Nightowl) - (74)
                     Re: Correction: Nobody was banned - (rickmoen) - (73)
                         Re: Correction: Nobody was banned - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             Re: Correction: Nobody was banned - (bepatient)
                         Unfortunately. - (bepatient) - (70)
                             Finally read it all ( was Re: Unfortunately.) - (Nightowl) - (67)
                                 Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (rickmoen) - (65)
                                     Rofl - (bepatient) - (2)
                                         Well, the mob mascot speaks! - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                             Nope, not at all. - (bepatient)
                                     Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (Nightowl) - (61)
                                         Darn it. - (bepatient)
                                         Time for a new name: Raptor -NT - (drewk) - (10)
                                             Re: Time for a new name: Raptor - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                                 Compliment, definitely -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: Compliment, definitely - (Nightowl)
                                                 Raptor means... - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     Re: Raptor means... - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                         Well, yes. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                             Re: Well, yes. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                                 This hasn't been ... - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                     +5 Inciteful -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     Re: This hasn't been ... - (Nightowl)
                                         Nightey's FIRIN'! - (jb4) - (2)
                                             Wow.... I'm surprised ( was Re: Nightey's FIRIN'!) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                 of risks and risks - (cforde)
                                         You can admin my board anytime. :) -NT - (FuManChu)
                                         Okay... this is getting frightening.... - (folkert)
                                         We need more of this (new thread) - (drewk)
                                         Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (rickmoen) - (42)
                                             Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (deSitter)
                                             You can leave me out of this...you're dealing with the Owl. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 Fear the ^(O,O)wl -NT - (deSitter)
                                             Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (Nightowl) - (37)
                                                 Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (rickmoen) - (12)
                                                     Re: Sadly, you've been mislead about what the issue was - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                         Here you go, Rick! - (Nightowl)
                                                         Heads Up, Raptorous One (new thread) - (Ashton)
                                                     Small point - (drewk)
                                                     Here's another one for you, Rick! - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                                         Personally, I wish - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                             Re: Personally, I wish - (Nightowl)
                                                             That has alwas been the consensus - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                 This... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                     One or 2 things come to mind. Smartypants. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     Any way to set up a web page... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                         Maybe... - (folkert)
                                                 It get better and better - (broomberg) - (21)
                                                     Re: It get better and better - (Nightowl) - (20)
                                                         You go girl! - (static) - (19)
                                                             Re: You go girl! - (Nightowl) - (16)
                                                                 Mailing list. - (static) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Mailing list. - (Nightowl)
                                                                 The dates you're looking for... - (Yendor) - (13)
                                                                     Re: The dates you're looking for... - (Nightowl) - (11)
                                                                         I've GOT THEM! ( was Re: The dates you're looking for...) - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                                                             I admire your tenacity. - (static) - (9)
                                                                                 Re: I admire your tenacity. - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                                                     Your research abilities are to be admired. - (hnick) - (7)
                                                                                         ObLRPD: Eat your failures. -NT - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                                             Re: ObLRPD: Eat your failures. - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                                                 Obligatory LRPD -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                         Re: Your research abilities are to be admired. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                                                             The official policy... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                                 ObLRPD: But don't get all fretty-pants on us. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                     ObLRPD: Loose the Hounds! -NT - (folkert)
                                                                     That reminds me, Rick... - (Nightowl)
                                                             I think I found it, Wade. ( was Re: You go girl!) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                                 That's how it began, yes. - (static)
                                                 Damn....You're good! - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     Re: Damn....You're good! - (Nightowl)
                                             Rick's Patented Strawman Attack(tm) -NT - (folkert)
                                 Hey, Nightey.....GREAT Post! - (jb4)
                             Not so fast, buddy - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                 That says it all, really. - (FuManChu)
                 thanx for adding monkeys, goats and footballs to the mix - (boxley)
         Whole thing was stupid - (tuberculosis)
         Well said, Ashton! - (a6l6e6x)
         I didn't get a vote, either. - (static)
         After some reflection on the question - (hnick) - (3)
             100% Correct. -NT - (pwhysall)
             ...and too stubborn to Let. It. Go. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             Awomen. -NT - (Ashton)

Where did you want to go yesterday?
114 ms