I grew up in relatively rural parts of American, so we carried around guns of the longarm kind, which were openly in plain sight. I own some six shotguns and 2 rifles (30-30 & .223) I use for hunting. Although I have a healthy respect for guns, I'm not a believer that they offer much protection. About the only scenario where I see they can useful would be to ward off stray looters in times of civil emergency (tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc)...

Of course, there's a couple of things about guns that go with the territory. The obvious things like always treat a gun as if it's loaded. Also, if you pull a gun on someone, you better be prepared to kill that person, because if you flinch and the stakes are turned around, the perpetrator will not hesitate a single moment to use your own weapon against you. There are, after all, some people that pulling guns on just makes them more irritable.

Finally, the most likely scenario that plays out in gun battle is that the persons in the altercation will know each other either directly or indirectly. Domestic quarrels or fiendish friends (or acquantances of your offspring). You are much more likely to be robbed by someone you know, then someone you don't. Maybe you think they deserve to die, but bare that in mind.