IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Still, and consistently
Yours is the mechanical, cynical view of human motivations. Yes, one can use simple logic in this way because 'motivation' is the concept which lies behind the whole pseudo-science of psych.. But just because we have a word for something - doesn't mean we understand it.

You say it's broccoli. I say it's spinach and the hell with it. [Thurber? I think]

Evidence that this deconstruction begs the point? ... every incident where someone -in the Instant- risks life to (grab a jumper off a bridge, say - where the rescuer would have gone over too, if someone behind him hadn't grabbed *his* legs! In one case I recall.)

Staying with the Ex: this was a young person with family yada yada. Reduce this to some cockamamie idea of "getting the best bugs from grooming" or "helping the local gene pool" -- and I say, Academia + Boolean-speak. And this jaundiced, myopic angle is behind Mr. John Dewey, Pavlov and the other mechanicalists, who imagine that homo-sap *can* be modelled, packaged, sold-to and ultimately "figured out". Like the jury rehearsals with transistors to see which OJ-line will score.. This-all is about the LCD of stimulus/response. Were that the whole package - there would be no such thing as Awareness. (The fact that some can live a long time without that, too.. is only another description of 'poverty')

But at base my disagreement with this kind of 'analysis' is on another scale: the metaphysical. Denial of the existence of this 'scale' (or of scale itself!) - is a self-predictable choice: from a lower scale. One might call this lower scale, impoverished, but other words might do as well ;-)
So logic just won't be enough. Y'know?

Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments
Love is not love which alters where it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove
O no, it is an ever fixed mark which looks upon tempests and is unmoved

Where's the logic in That?

Ashton
Save the whales humans from deconstructed digital roadmaps.
New Hand waving, IMO.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yours is the correct thesis in one place -
The reptile brain. It functions that way, and we see that masses of humans can be herded from those principles, in extremis and for a time..

(Which I think is what Huxley et al were saying)

Yep, all hand-waving - or flag-waving would do as well.
Cheery prospect -

Ashton
New Says who?
Reptiles, ungulates, apes, chimps, and yes, humans, all behave this way. The only difference is the subtlety with which they display their selfishness.

Life is inherently selfish. Wishing it away won't change that. Waving your hands and saying, "it ain't so" doesn't count for much either.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New OK you win on semantics -
self-ish == every lifeform Wants to Survive.
Now there's a /root goal.

Moi.

On exporting corporate culture... - (admin) - (44)
         Well as being an generalization - (boxley) - (3)
             Huh... Guess we're looking at a revolution here... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 naw, racial infighting lets the pressure off - (boxley)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
         General agreement, but there are always exceptions. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Re: General agreement, but there are always exceptions. - (admin) - (2)
                 Pax Romana looked different from the ground - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Understand, I'm not making a moral statement. - (admin)
             You're half right - (drewk) - (3)
                 Bingo. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Brin talks about this at length in "The Transparent Society" - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Think I've heard this extrapolation - - (Ashton)
         Not an endorsement of the "corporate mindset"? - (mmoffitt) - (22)
             I'm not entirely convinced about the whole... - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                 turn the fan on :) - (boxley) - (4)
                     You're a good man, Bill. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         na, If I was single she could have earned the rent :) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Ah, but you're not and offered help anyway. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Well done, my friend. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Economics != capitalism - (admin) - (7)
                 Communism=economic model -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     What's your point? -NT - (admin) - (3)
                         pointing out that Mike is not slinging plattitudes - (boxley) - (2)
                             Communism is first and foremost an economic model - (admin) - (1)
                                 fair enuff -NT - (boxley)
                 Read any anthropology? - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Yes. - (admin)
             provenance of profit - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 eh? Ive got nought against communism - (boxley) - (1)
                     Exactly. Communism doesn't recognize that humans are selfish - (admin)
             let rearrange the words a tad - (boxley) - (1)
                 Which brings us to the Information Devolution - (Ashton)
             Do you have kids? - (drewk) - (2)
                 My thoughts were along those lines as well. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     he has kids and we have discussed this before - (boxley)
         hmm..let the ripping begin? - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
             Good point. - (admin) - (7)
                 This is why I have trouble with cute logic - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Nice strawman. - (admin) - (5)
                         Still, and consistently - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Hand waving, IMO. -NT - (admin) - (3)
                                 Yours is the correct thesis in one place - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Says who? - (admin) - (1)
                                         OK you win on semantics - - (Ashton)

I don't see how this has anything remotely to do with football.
133 ms