IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Please calm down.
I did all that shit when I was a greenhorn. I had the expensive shirts and high dry cleaning bill. What did I get out of it? 60k of medical bills and no future. I got a boss who was doing my manager instead of his goddamn job.

The bills keep coming and the future keeps staying away. I've done my life work. I solved the problem I wanted to solve. I'm sick of trying to be what I am not in a world I can't stomach for another minute. Why wait?
-drl
New I hope and pray that doesn't mean
what it seems to imply...

Don't do anything stupid or rash Ross, okay?

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New What the fuck difference does it make to you?
You don't know me from Adam. Spend your effort on something else. I'm done.
-drl
New Re: What the fuck difference does it make to you?
Ah well, it's the hooty curse, I was born to care too much for those who don't.

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New It really matters to you though
are you just going to give up, just like that? Or are you going to be as tough as you say you are, and put up a fight?

Go to the interview, don't wear a suit, see what happens. Just one thing, give it a 100% effort. Tell them that "I am not a stuffed shirt, I am a real person." and see where that takes you. If they ask about the lack of a suit, say "Clothes do not make the man. Did you want to hire a suit, or someone who can do the job, as I can do this job." If you can do that, and hold your head up high, maybe, just maybe, it is enough to impress them and get that job.

I've been down that road, and I documented it here, I wanted to give it all up. But do you know what? When I do that, those bastards win. Are you going to let the bastards win, or are you going to show them who is who? Then live dammit, live like you've never lived before. Be tough as nails, be mean, show up in dockers then, just don't give up.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Ross, look.
We're your friends. We want you well. We want you employed. I'm sure that if everyone here were honest, they'd admit that they do things every single day that they don't want to do. Nobody, well, those not born into abundant wealth anyway, gets to live the life they want to lead at work. I used to believe that because I worked my way through school, never took even a student loan, worked my ass off, got my Master's Degree, got my "professional certifications", etc. that I'd be able to expect more out of my job than kissing some idiot's ass. Guess what? I was wrong. But what I have learned is that what we do to make the rent is not who we are. Our job is not our "life", our job is the unpleasant duty we pull to live our life. Be pissed about it if you must, but to me it's just wasted energy and the only person who suffers as a consequence is you.

Are you going to work for some one as intelligent as you are? Don't bet the ranch on it. Now there are some exceptions, but in all likelihood whomever you go to work for is going to be, by comparison, an idiot. C'est la vie, mon frere. You just can't let it eat you up, because it will if you dwell on it - trust me, I've been there. That's why I said what I said above. Live on your time off, that's the only real time you have.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New No one said you needed to go to the jobs that way
Just to the interview.

You want to know what you have to look forward to?

Motorcycle rides. I'm too scared to get on a bike on the highway, you are not.

Your choice of young women when you have enough money to go out an have a good time. Yeah, it sucks that it'll cost, one way or another, but that's life. And it can be fun either way.

Proving me wrong. It'll happen. Some day.

Dropping really good mellow windowpane acid, while relaxing in a just warm enough room, surrounded by really good speakers, with your favorite piano piece playing. Psilocybin is just as good.

Watching the teenyboppers bop around in the summer.

Teasing me about the fact my daughter and wife run my life.

Going the Beep's party and trying not to get caught lusting after his daughter.

Watching Box toss 4 guys in the pool so fast you have to blink a few times just to make sure your eyes were open.

The list really does go on and on and on if you just try to think about it.
New Re: No one said you needed to go to the jobs that way
You have to have a purpose. I don't.
-drl
New My bad. I thought you wanted to eat.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New yer purpose is to suck air until you quit
its what to do while waiting that seems to be problematic, start gambling degeneratively, drive the bike around East St Louis flying the st andrews cross. Knock over drug dealers for beer money, when contemplating your navel turns injurious, find something else to injure, lotta deserving thugs out there.
thanx,
bill
In Bush\ufffds America, fighting terrorism abroad is used as a pretext for vanquishing civil liberties at home. David Podvin
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: yer purpose is to suck air until you quit
This is an interesting point - why not just run amok if you are going down anyway? I've been confronted by this issue repeatedly so I've thought a lot about it.

1) I just can't - it's not something I can do. It would have to be in defense of something. I suppose the values of civilization are so important to me that I'd rather go out quietly than violate them. There is no point to living as a human if there is nothing to live for. Life is more than being alive.

2) I wouldn't enjoy stolen money - even to eat. It would not be worth it.

3) Failing at life so completely that you can't even keep a roof over your own single head is so shameful that there is too much apathy after a time to give a damn. All one is left with is fear of being dirty and cold. Hunger doesn't worry me nor thirst (there are always places to get water). But being dirty and cold scares me to death.

Therefore when the time comes I will jack an entire syringe of the best heroin I can score for my last $500 into my arm. I will not leave a mess for the EMTs to clean up.
-drl
New last $500?
when you get to the last $500, go to Vegas with it. Spend 150 on round trip, 60 on a room, 100 on a hooker, Gamble a 100 spend 40 on a meal and a jug, watch all the interesting lights, go home with 50 get a job changing oil at a local dirty sanchez franchise. Think you are overtired, drink kefir for a couple of days.
thanx,
bill
In Bush\ufffds America, fighting terrorism abroad is used as a pretext for vanquishing civil liberties at home. David Podvin
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: last $500?
I can't get hired for a "Joe" job - I've tried again and again. I don't know how you do these things, but they don't work for me.
-drl
New There is work if you look for it
SBC was hiring people to promote their DSL at different shops. All the person needed to do was learn enough about DSL to talk to vendors into reselling it for SBC. Just go visit the shops, talk to owners, and managers, and get them to sell/resell SBC DSL. There was a consulting company doing the hiring. It should be an easy job for you if you can find the consulting company doing the hiring. Maybe SBC can give you more info on that?

Or check with the colleges, your Math and Science backgrounds can get you a job there. After all, you did get a paper published. Maybe you can be a Teacher's Assistant for Phsyics? No need to wear a suit, dockers and a polo shirt should be fine at a college. Maybe you can get free tuition and work on getting another degree? See if the college computer labs need help.

I have to explore options that are non-computer related. I have creativity, so I am looking into research for making jewelry, soap, candles, etc. I may be selling more to the female markets, but hey that is a whole other half of the population that I was not able to sell to before. If I can make enough money doing that, I can start up a computer business from it. Then I can focus on consumer and computer products and services for my business and sell both.

So please don't OD, there are plenty of options out there, you have to look really hard to find them. Don't give up, as I tried to do before. Trust me I have been down that road and I don't like to see someone else going down that road. Your choice, your decision, I cannot make that for you.

Follow the trends and see what you can do. For example while the code is written over seas, the requirements gathering, quality testing, documentation, configuration management/control, and training is still done in the good old USA. So just switch what you are doing in the computer market to something that they are still hiring for.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Nope
None of that works.
-drl
New Then I challenge you to find something that does work
after all you are supposed to be really smart. I figure you should be able to use those smarts to find yourself a job.

New Another viewpoint
I'll probably regret trying this post, but I figure if it's to hopefully save your life, I've got nothing to lose.

Ross, I was there once too. I wanted to kill myself rather than face the work place, rather than try to work again. I was disgusted with the whole system, disenchanted with employers and their values, and completely blind-sided by how people could behave.

I went into a deep depression, and I didn't care. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, I didn't do anything. Some of the sleeplessness you describe sounds to me like depression. I'm not a doctor, but you could check with your doctor and ask if you need something to help you sleep.

But I learned something in that dark period, and it was a hard lesson. I learned that suicide was NOT the answer. It wasn't what would solve everything. In fact, it was the easy way to avoid the responsibility of taking care of me.

I was tired of fighting, heck, I still am, tired of fighting the system. I didn't believe in being a "showplace" secretary, and I still won't do it. I was hit on by potential employers, and wouldn't even consider working there. I wanted to give up, completely.

But I am still here, plodding on, fighting on, trying new strategies every day, and trying to believe that somewhere out there, there IS a place for me in the work force, and that IF it is truly there, I'll find it.

Granted, I don't have to fear losing my roof, and I know that can be frightening, because I was there once too, in that dark depressive period, I lost my apt and I had to be back with my parents. You claim you have nowhere to go, but all you need is one friend or one person to help you out, just a little, here or there and keep you on your feet until you ARE able to do it yourself.

It CAN be done. I know you think it can't, but it can. And it is honestly, your choice whether you keep on plodding on, and keep on fighting, or lie down and die.

I can't make that choice for you, but I pray every day that you'll make the right one.

Nightowl >8#

New Re: Another viewpoint
FACE THE WORKPLACE? I'D GO NAKED IF IT MADE MONEY.

Not being in this business, you don't understand the implications when a recruiter tells you to "dress like a Republican".

I'm not fighting the system - the SYSTEM is fighting ME. There are any number of things I can do - none of which are possible. I'm not a good, stable enough citizen so I'm not allowed to teach. I have no experience for money so I can't work on MCs. I can't do my career job because the people who hire are totally ignorant of the work that needs doing, and the people who actually should know better tacitly abet this stupid system. I can't drive a cab because my health is fucked up. I can't do labor because I am old and broken down. I can't get a job in a convenience/grocery store because they simply will not hire ME - they take one look and have one conversation and that's it. App given, no call back. Even though I've helped build houses, and can do everything from installing electrics to plumbing to drywalling to framing, those are trades and are (rightly) unionized - and in any case it's the same as the above - I'm too strange a person to average Joes to get along with (their fault for misjudging me).

There is literally nothing I can do to make any money.

-drl
New Well...
There is calling people for AMVETS. I did it once, and it was done from home, on my own time. You make money based on who agrees to leave something out for them on the porch. There's no "hard sell" like telemarketing, it's polite, and if they say no you hang up and continue on.

No car needed, no clothes needed, you could do this naked if you liked.

Let me know if you want the contact info for Amvets.

Nightowl >8#

New Re: Well...
Sure you can email it to me. unixmonster at hotmail dot com
-drl
New Done :)
Good luck, and let me know if it isn't the right place to call, I'll find another one.

Nightowl >8#

New Explain
You considered your math work (please ignore the gross simplification) your purpose.

And now your purpose is fullfilled?

Who has reviewed it?
Who else understands it?
Who has attacked it? And been proven wrong / beaten back?

This type of work is like a fragile child. You may think you are done, but you have just begun. You have to nurture and protect until it is ready to stand on it's own.
New Re: Explain
It's the one good thing I did in my life. It will certainly stand on its own. In a way, now that its done I'm free to check out.
-drl
New Nice try
But you are wrong. The world is filled with vicious idots in power who like nothing more than suppress new ideas becuase it threatens the status quo. And you know it, you fight them often enough.

So you gotta stick around for at least a while to make sure it doesn't die on the vine.
New I agree
the Megacoporations control things, Billy Idol was correct in 1993 when he stated that on his Cyberpunk CD. Here is a Blog on it:
[link|http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2003/12/billy_idols_cyb.html|http://www.michaelha...ly_idols_cyb.html]

Maybe it can get you a chuckle, deSitter, if you read it. Here is the intro text:

The future has imploded into the present. With no nuclear war, the new battlefields are people's minds and souls. Megacorporations are the new government. The computer generated info-domains are the new frontiers. Though there is better living through science and chemistry, we are all becoming cyborgs.

The computer is the new "cool tool," and though we say "all information should be free," it is not. Information is power and currency in the virtual world we inhabit, so mistrust authority.

Cyberpunks are the true rebels. Cyberculture is coming in under the radar of ordinary society. An unholy alliance of the tech world, and the world of organized dissent.

Welcome to the cybercorporation.

Cyberpunks.

New Yes, you do.
We all have a purpose, even if we haven't found it yet.

As Barry said, you've got your mathematics. You've got to convince the boneheaded ass clown string theorists out there that they are tilting at windmills.

:-)

You've got a desire to help others understand the things you know. That's one reason why you post here. You enjoy helping others.

A wise man thinks [link|http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/1999/2/16_1.html|the purpose of life is to seek happiness.] Life is a journey, not a destination.

Go to the interview. See what tomorrow brings. Don't give up.

Hang in there.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Life sucks.
Then you die.
Then they put you in a hole in the ground.
Then they throw dirt in your face.
Then the worms eat you.

BE FUCKING GLAD IT HAPPENS IN THAT ORDER!

(In other words, there's always a purpose. You might not know what it is yet, but you'll find it. Don't give up yet!)
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

Therin lies the true measure of a man.
     I have an interview - (deSitter) - (77)
         They're in to arm bands and jack-boots these days ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         thoughts, prayers, luck! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         Good luck! - (Nightowl)
         Good luck - (Arkadiy) - (26)
             Nope - (deSitter) - (25)
                 Hmm. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Mmm forearms! -NT - (deSitter)
                 Ideally, - (bepatient) - (4)
                     I AM disrespectful of "hiring clothes" - (deSitter) - (1)
                         "Beware of all occupations which require new clothes" .. - (Ashton)
                     What is expected varies with career and location - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Re: What is expected varies with career and location - (deSitter)
                 Bullshit - (broomberg) - (15)
                     Yep. -NT - (admin)
                     Dunno, I interview business casual - (boxley) - (7)
                         You just described entry level dressed - (broomberg) - (6)
                             You ARE a boss - amazing - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 No I'm not - (broomberg)
                             dont forget a repo in Missouri is dressed like - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Funny but wrong :) - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     then you didnt take me to the right social gatherings :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Mixed results - (orion)
                     NO - (deSitter) - (5)
                         One does what one must. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             One does what one IS -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 Only when he's not working ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     That's sort of sad - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Employed :( -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Fit in or stay out. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     sorry Im with Doc here, - (boxley)
         you'll be fine, impress and good luck -NT - (boxley)
         bonne chance - (cforde)
         Knock 'em dead. - (Silverlock)
         You go girl...err...Ross! - (jb4)
         Good luck, man! -NT - (imric)
         Just to pound the point home... - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Thanks but of course at my age I don't need dressing advice - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Then don't bother to show up. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                     Re: Then don't bother to show up. - (deSitter)
                 That is too extreme - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Concur in spades. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Interview cancelled - (deSitter) - (35)
             Dont let other people guide your life, take peters advice - (boxley)
             Please calm down. - (Another Scott) - (27)
                 Re: Please calm down. - (deSitter) - (26)
                     I hope and pray that doesn't mean - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         What the fuck difference does it make to you? - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Re: What the fuck difference does it make to you? - (Nightowl)
                             It really matters to you though - (orion)
                     Ross, look. - (mmoffitt)
                     No one said you needed to go to the jobs that way - (broomberg) - (20)
                         Re: No one said you needed to go to the jobs that way - (deSitter) - (19)
                             My bad. I thought you wanted to eat. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             yer purpose is to suck air until you quit - (boxley) - (11)
                                 Re: yer purpose is to suck air until you quit - (deSitter) - (10)
                                     last $500? - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Re: last $500? - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             There is work if you look for it - (orion) - (2)
                                                 Nope - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Then I challenge you to find something that does work - (orion)
                                     Another viewpoint - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                         Re: Another viewpoint - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             Well... - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                 Re: Well... - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Done :) - (Nightowl)
                             Explain - (broomberg) - (3)
                                 Re: Explain - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     Nice try - (broomberg) - (1)
                                         I agree - (orion)
                             Yes, you do. - (Another Scott)
                             Life sucks. - (inthane-chan)
             What is this "buy into PHBism" BS? - (ben_tilly)
             I like wearing suits. - (imric) - (4)
                 Re: I like wearing suits. - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Heh. - (imric) - (2)
                         Re: Heh. - (deSitter) - (1)
                             A never-ending supply of morons. - (imric)

Barnaby Jones?
250 ms