IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New which is sad
Not mad at you. Your viewpoint simply is sad. I am sorry, not angry. I will probably be put in jail and ass raped for a few years due to it. But you, in your world, feel that is an appropriate punishment, for simply experiencing the feelings and pain of others. Which saddens me. Was it worth it? I dunno, it is not over yet.
New Your interpretation is way off again.
But you, in your world, feel that is an appropriate punishment, for simply experiencing the feelings and pain of others.

Not at all. I would never assert that "empathy" ever deserves punishment. I only submit that one can be empathetic by thinking rationally about the relative insignificance of human beings. I further submit achieving genuinely empathetic (or at least sympathetic) feelings for others through this means (rational thought) is a superior method of achieving that capability to achieving the capability through artificial means. In short, hallucinogens are unnecessary for developing a sense of empathy or of a concern for others.

I do not wish you any ill will and I hope that your conjecture about what the next few years might bring you is as far off the mark as some of the opinions and positions you have tried to ascribe to me.
New insignificance?
Sigh.

Says it all.
New How long do we live? How old is the Universe?
We're all we've got, so we better care about each other.

Clear?
New No, not clear
Individual people are significant or they aren't.

And some people (such as myself) can find that their lack of connectedness is either enhanced or fixed after experiencing certain substances. And not just while under the influence, but as a permanent result. People such as yourself feel is wrong or dangerous or to be avoided or (fill in your blank).

So, you will advocate against, I will advocate for. But your advocation includes supporting devastating punishments, while mine simple accepts some people will be assholes forever, and leave it at that.
New My position is that individuals are significant.
But only to other individuals. That's honest, rational and coincidentally forms, imho, an excellent argument for feeling "connected." For it is only through these "connections" that our individual lives have any meaning at all. I don't know of any rational argument against that assessment.
New And that is why racism is rational
As box so eloquently stated a long time ago, we are evolved to protect our kin and fear the other, from family, to tribe, to state, to country, etc. Rationality in this area focuses on our selfish motivations and results. Protect our kids, fuck everyone else's, unless we are directly connected, and then include them in our sphere of caring.

Lack of empathy to humanity in general is the rational result of our evolution. I'm sorry, I want more than that.
New I could not disagree more vehemently.
I reject your assertion that it's "rational" to "fear the other" and that rationality in any area focuses on "our selfish motivations and results." Concern over selfish motivations and results evaporates with sufficient rational thought.

Emphasis Mine.
Protect our kids, fuck everyone else's, unless we are directly connected, and then include them in our sphere of caring.

That's the whole point, isn't it? If it is only through connections that we can find meaning, is it not irrational to work against the establishment of those connections? I think pretty clearly it is.

A lack of empathy to humanity in general (which doesn't really make sense, since one can only truly be empathetic to individuals) is, in any case, not the rational result of our evolution. Human beings achieved dominance only through co-operation. This idyllic American notion of "fierce independence" and "self made man" is an illusion which is useful in a capitalist system. That you can hold that a lack of empathy is the rational result of evolution suggests (to me at least) that your thinking has been corrupted by the socio-economic system in which you were raised.
New Please explain
which doesn't really make sense, since one can only truly be empathetic to individuals

Individuals you know?
New Sorry, I should have said I don't know what it means.
I can understand being sympathetic to the wants, needs, pain, etc. of a group of people (read: humanity in general) but I don't understand what means being empathetic to a group of people. Here's a good contrast of the two terms as I understand them and why I said what I did above.
Both empathy and sympathy are feelings concerning other people. Sympathy is literally 'feeling with' - compassion for or commiseration with another person. Empathy, by contrast, is literally 'feeling into' - the ability to project one's personality into another person and more fully understand that person. Sympathy derives from Latin and Greek words meaning 'having a fellow feeling'. The term empathy originated in psychology (translation of a German term, c. 1903) and has now come to mean the ability to imagine or project oneself into another person's position and experience all the sensations involved in that position. You feel empathy when you've "been there", and sympathy when you haven't.

http://dictionary.re...language/d23.html

How does one "project oneself" into a multitude of individuals? Isn't that in itself a tad bigoted? I mean, if I say I can pull that off for a whole group am I not (at least in some sense) saying "they're all like that, they all did that, they all feel this way or that, etc."?
New You can't. I have.
That is what a large dose of an empathetic drug does. It amps up those exact circuits. And once those pathways open up, they don't close down again. I feel the pain and joy of others, those that I've not even met but can observe, in a way that most people will shield from. Even those that I do not like, that have given me reason to despise, if I am exposed to them suffering, it hurts. Both in person, in video, and any other manner of communication that allows for it. It is incredibly painful and incredibly joyous. And it has taught me much.
New You say you can.
I remain unconvinced. From my POV, what you feel can most precisely be defined as a drug induced delusion. Your view appears to be that your experiences are genuine and permanent. I think that's our disagreement in a nutshell. It's not that I think it is impossible for me to be wrong, but I do think (and have always felt) that feelings, thoughts, opinions and experiences arising from the non-therapeutic use of psycho-active medications are not as genuine as those feelings, thoughts, opinions and experiences arising in the absence of mind altering substances (pot, alcohol, acid, whatever).

That will no doubt sound judgmental to you, which will cause you to think that I still believe you should be punished. That's not the case at all. You will never believe your experiences aren't real and I will never believe your experiences are real. That's the long and the short of it and we will never agree, so I don't think further discussion is warranted.
New Silly, feelings aren't "real"
Perfectly aware of that.

I spent a lifetime of having a certain attitude. I seemed (based on posting history) pretty damn close to yours. It centered on a level of selfishness and personal hard work and responsibility. And if someone else didn't measure up capability or effort wise, fuck'em. You may claim otherwise as you rail against the machine, but you've made clear that the collapse of society (including protecting your home and daughters with weapons from the inevitable looters) is better than what we have now. I disagree. Way more pain that way than simply making what we have better, way more death and privation, but you don't see it.

Part of that was an inability to feel based on whatever others felt. 100% rational. No mirror neurons taking control, they were simply there for analysis. This served me very well, in society, responsibility, family, etc.

I did what had to be done, and if it hurt others, well, sorry, but that's the way the world worked.

And then a drug induced "fantasy" showed me the error of my ways. I felt (oh my god, not feelings, can't have those affect your thinking) the level of pain that the current society inflicts upon the vast majority of people, and then decided that whenever possible, I should not add to their level of pain and mitigate wherever possible. I picked up a bit of personal responsibility for it. Note, a large portion of the housing crisis and financial collapse of the last 10 years is in my lap, so I bear a bit more than most.

You grabbed the dictionary definition of empathy, which you don't understand, and consider grandiose, as straw man to argue against. Since you haven't experienced it, and fight against the concept, it is clear it is meaningless to you. As it was once to me.

Go listen to Hemispheres by Rush (have the words handy and read along) for a far better explanation than I am capable of. I needed a better balance, and it took the drug to put me there.

So, we are at an impasse. It can't be any other way. I wish you well, since your pain would be mine, and it is in my self interest to avoid it. I'm still a selfish bastard, but I recognize why it is in my (and all people's) best interest not to be.
New Speaking of Hemispheres.
My old boss was really into Krishnamurti for a while. And he (my boss) had a bit of an epiphany after reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" - http://www.amazon.co...ve/dp/1585429201/ .

Our brain has lots of ways to look at and try to understand our environment. I haven't read it myself, but I think I got the gist of the book from talking with him. As a kid I was into drawing for a while. I remember once working on a drawing of Michelangelo's Pietà from a picture. It suddenly dawned on me to draw the shadows rather than the boundaries. (It didn't turn out too badly, but I gave up on it before it was finished.) Looking at things and seeing the shadows rather than the thing itself can be kinda relaxing - it supposedly uses a different side of your brain.

Similarly, in high school I was at a pool party and bored and ended up looking at the light dancing off the waves in the pool for quite a while...

And in a college lab experiment we were doing the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment - where you have to time some tiny oil drops as they fall some distance in a pitch-black room, the time depending on how much charge they pick up as they move in a capacitor. If you looked directly at them, it was hard. If you relaxed your eyes as if you were staring into space, it was much easier.

What our "thinking man" part of our brain thinks is reality is only a tiny piece of the sensations and experiences we pick-up, usually subconsciously, every day.

Hang in there, you two. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New The parent-topic to this brouhaha is quite more Interesting,
I think: Consciousness.. Itself.

I congratulate you (belatedly, for all circumstances, and fwiw) upon possessing the tenacity to successfully break-through that which seems almost a primordial-fog,
fed largely by industrial-think and all that negative emotional-baggage it spawned, along its path of dismantling any true sense of 'democracy' ever occurring.
(Many 'students' would envy that feat, as inculcated mindsets are most insidious, being daily reinforced.)
You will always be within a small minority, I think you realize.

Because you are both articulate and ..forthcoming, you'd be an "entitled" test-subject for some researchers.
The importance of 'forthcoming' is related to the demands of personal-daily-lying, as follows from the tenets of vulture-capitalism (as you've described quite neatly enough.)
I'd add only that, Murica (maybe since its inception) has been a Proof of one koan: Language was invented that men might disguise their thoughts from each other.
Nowhere is that more indubitable as in: any Office (bizness or political.) Lying-animals we may be, in many circumstances, but Muricans are inculcated incessantly, from tyke-hood.
[I grew up here, y'see?]

As to the thread, its scope limited (via Mike's 'Certainty-reflex'?) that such effects as you describe are entirely a ƒ(chemicals) thus persistence of any insights is bogus
[if THIS then THAT as in, hmmm.. coding?] … for mechanical or human machines:

Others have experienced this alteration of consciousness (pure and simple: that) sans any chemicals whatsoever--predominantly via
First: realizing they were living-crippled (as many individual tales there, as … people);
Second: discovering/being advised by cohorts, that a teacher (of meditation and similar means of calming our natural, untutored 'monkey-minds') could help.
Next: with/without a teacher, doing the Work of (finally) testing, watching inner mind processes, to a purpose. (know thyself? or by any other words.)
Lastly: forever next, find selves immune to the stimulus/response games which underlie our Status-seeking/greed for Power-as-Money, and related mental disabilities.

Clearly some.. experience a change in consciousness (varying by all we can imagine about others' 'psyches') while under some chemical aid. When the molecules have gone, the 'insights' (if it was like that) or new-Purposefulness? may have greatly diminished. Maybe the state can be re-produced by another dose sometime or maybe not. It's reasonable to call these experiences 'drug related'--and as transitory--even knowing little of the highly-individual other particulars.

Others, like yourself do Not, subsequently revert to their nominal state of consciousness, long after the molecules have left.
(If the above is News to anyone (?) that person (even in Murica) has not been paying much attention to anything outside the daily strait-jacket of me-Me-Mine!, I'd think.)

Esalen (Institute) in Big Sur CA (overlooking the Pacific) has been a focal point for people across a huge spectrum, from paupers to luminaries--each for own reasons--attempting to learn more about their very-Own psyches. CA just seems to synthesize?/innovate much better than most other States, in matters about 'States'-of-consciousness (transliterated for American vocabularies.)

Truly sorry that mere-fucking random-Chance threw you into the maw of the Great [compartmentalized-Set] of State-punishments prescribed for any personal science-based experiments:
outside of that antediluvian [Puritan box].

But you now possess quite more insight into the Tragedy we're living-within--than anyone with jingoistic blinkers super-glued on.
Hope that that priceless new awareness (of ancient lessons, long-ago ridiculed here--necessarily!--so that financial schemes could be cleansed of their patently-criminal shame) can maintain your equanimity.
It seems that, you are entirely-within-Theater next, where the management expects 'correct' answers as must be acted-out via a prescribed script: in which there can be no ad-libs whatsoever (?)
You can Do this! Luck on the elocution and decent rehearsal-prep..

I'm reminded of the UC prof. Ernst Cantorovich (sp?) in McCarthy days, whose tract contained the death-knell 'sentence' for Loyalty Oaths everywhere:
A coerced oath is invalid on its face! Eventually he (+others afflicted, who would not Sign) Won, but many had careers ruined by clones of the troglodytes on today's 'news' and ever since the Shogunate.

I see yours as a parallel circumstance of timing, too: worldwide, there is growing comprehension of what these psycho-active substances (and many suspected/untested yet) might well do to alleviate the misery
--unrelieved by our inadequate 'talk-therapies'--for millions worldwide. We will be last, of course.

New Also, "non-therapeutic use" is a kicker
People (pychs, therapists, etc, ya know, medical professionals) would LOVE to use MDMA and LSD and psilocybin for studies and therapy but due to political issues, they are scheduled as untouchable. No medical use allowed. So there is a catch-22 that will never be resolved, and you get to declare victory. Which in turn means only those that are willing to break the law can gain any benefit, so you get to damn them.
New If fundies prevail in '16, we'll return to coat-hangers
for HALF the dis-USA population: simply because so few Muricans have. the. wits. to comprehend the al punte meaning-of:
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
--Zyklon-B, small book published in early ... 1970s!

I'm sure that most anyone here could compile (maybe for some contest with a MB-Pro as prize?) a list of 100
blatant-Idiocies, of every-day sort and of long standing--to whose presence we have all become inured.

[YOU are enmeshed in ... several of these common-daily-idiocies--Right?] I could be: tomorrow.
Murican 'justice' re most victimless 'crimes' has become LUDICROUSLY stupid/hypocritical, ergo Evil.
More and more resembling Germany's intentionally-bogus ones of the '30s ... say?

No one of these is a hit-the-barricades-Tomorrow trigger. But cumulatively, are we not now nearing a genuine Inflection-point in the zeitgeist,
such that authentic forces for Radical--as in Root--changes shall soon manifest, with Power behind the Forces?
(Else: why bother: exhortation and many magnificently-sensible essays have produced no consensus at-all visible/or, at least their effects--if-any?
--lie buried beneath the perpetual noise of the corrupt media, all $$-driven and disconnected from most actual people.)

'Course, forever shall thousands of faint voices be heard intoning the mantra.. But I just haven't the time! to attend a march/rally/Happening/can't get the time off-work..

My wonderment continues unabated, over this One question:
How many parents have ever looked long & hard at their kids, one day, while thinking ~
How much? will these children, in a few years ... Despise Me! for having sucked-it-up, taking no Stand on anything.. before or after their birth??

(Sorry.. read more 'news' today than in a while, and it and We ... Suck in so many cowardly-ways. Still.)
New ..as drook and Pauli said: you're not even Wrong
And your pleas, from-total inexperience aka Ignorance demands the same response as to any closed-minded plea-to-Ignorance (as assistant to an untenable position) I wot.
Damn.. where's the boilerplate for That one?
I've thought a lot about the plight of there being millions who 'exist' at this minimal level of human consciousness. many of them not nearly so civilized as you are. But similarly handicapped.

(The very idea that, 'the rational mind' (implicitly via some symbolic-logic by G. Boole), completely dis-connected from the emotionally-experienced mind..
Can Reason about inescapably-complex human matters--betrays a mindset (pretty much like crazy describes, further down the line.)
You are tuning-out possibilities, possible experiences you have never had, apparently by association with stereotypes of 'persons who indulge in' that sort of 'thing'/fantasy?/illusion? (as you may tag, attach a label to matter(s) you know only hearsay about.)

First error: attempting to Prove a Negative, not via 'experience of its absence under Condition A' nor of other aspects of collecting anecdotal information as, collectively==data to be analyzed: but via switching to your view of "what is/must-be! rational 'thought'".

Complication: 'Rational' (remember that the same root brings us a pejorative? rationalization.)
In deciding to describe your attitude towards new information as 'rational', dismissing other mixed-in aspects of our minds: emotional- instinctive- primitive- aka reptile remnants? so do you imply that you understand how your various mind sub-parts operate, deem that you can separate-out the intellectual-mind from the others: rely solely upon its function, and call that, 'being rational'.

(The trouble I have with arguments not-even-wrong, is that it almost demands that one trots out an indication of just How?-wrong an expressed POV is in terms of the significant Points elided, dismissed or just not comprehended: in such presentations.) Alas, that boilerplate is tl;dr for these little forays into interstellar what-if?s--on a coffee-break span.. [and is misplaced, to boot.]

A 'rational opinion' you have, you say? while attempting to Prove a Negative and, as Dick Feynman put it..
People think because they know the name of something--not just physics, btw--that they 'understand it'.
Yeah.. Quantum Chromodynamics kinda just rolls off the tongue, 2-3-3- stanzas; mellifluous, even?

As synchronicity Happens-that-way:
Was yesterday just listening to a (maybe biophysicist, didn't catch his creds), npr; a discussion of the paucity of 'our' comprehension of the human brain,
(let alone the word-concept of mind.) So far are 'we' from … … any guesstimates as could begin to lead to some 'electronic simulation'
(the sub-topic) he said ~ "we haven't a Clue" aka We don't know Shit aka …
Nobody in any science professes to 'Understand' even what Consciousness IS! qe fucking-d

Concluding, this scientist-person ticked off a few other areas under the We Don't Know Shit rubric;
We know-not how even these sub-domains 'work' and, he concluded.. nary a clue as to how next to proceed. Ex:
Brute-force electronic-circuit emulating of the measured/visible connections of neurons in a WORM's brain:
produced no WORM-like responses whatsoever. The gadget revealed Nothing useful.

(Bet you haven't even read The Doors of Perception) http://en.wikipedia....ors_of_Perception
Or maybe think Huxley was from Berkeley in the '60s? And that's just a starter.. of a huge topic.
As another scribe put it, Do I contradict myself? very-well then, I contradict myself; I contain multitudes..
Centuries earlier another scribe put it, ..there are more things between Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.
(William James has some words on 'inner experience' and the difficulty in 'sharing'. As do a few hundred authors who have never flown-into your narrow radar-beam.)

And none-of-the-above is remotely close enough in our comprehension: to even begin plausible guesstimates of How our, say, 'several-brains' (or several brain-modules) re. intellect, emotion, instinct, [fight/flight] … and maybe even capabilities of occasional prescience? ... interact with each other, process __??__ and return something like an overall consensus on some Problem being mulled, whether in Emergency mode or relaxed contemplation. Etc.

Your [Certainty] [box] is your horizon, especially given your ignorance of [how much we Are "ignorant of", officially!]

As to, "mystical experiences" with strong religio-centric notions …
A) This thread isn't about the quite distinct/separate history of corporate 'religions', their gestation, political entanglements, wars and Certainties in All Things. Insecure people with lazy-minds, little knowledge of their world or of history can be seduced readily into (all sorts of contradictory concepts in a package.)
B) Anything never experienced nor investigated can seem mystical. It's a blurry-word signifying (like Freedom) whatever a one wants it to.
C) 'Sacred', removed from religious liturgies, can simply be interpreted as: the opposite of profane and may mean, manifestly-Significant (amidst the thousands of experiences as Aren't.)

Methinks there are many things of which you wot-not. You inhabit a Puritan-spawned milieu: one dedicated to partitioning ALL thought/action/deed into Two categories: [Permissible for discussion] [Not Permitted]
But (and most unusually) you had the experience of another culture, at a malleable and un-censored age, and during those years before hardening of the imagination-arteries occurs.
(You also noted some aspects, aspirations..? of that culture which--despite its co-option by ordinary-grade thugs--you deemed laudable if.. maybe.. not attainable in this or any zeitgeist extant.)

Our ignorance of most species is gargantuan (especially--of our own, so far.) Reactionaries want to erase back to the caves, Repos want to freeze (privileges) and ancient superstitions. Conservatives can never answer, 'what do you mean to conserve?--actually?
[I'm sure I asked Beep that one ... exactly [n+1] times.] Nary-ever a response. (Didn't expect one, actually.)
Shall we freeze all 'risky explorations' in that [Not Permitted] box, for the next 240 years, too? (although likely.. 10-15 more years of stasis will render this whole discussion moot.)

Carrion … no need to sacrifice any living-thing, though.
New Thanks, Ashton. It's all so clear to me know.
For more than five decades I've believed that truly understanding something required clear-headed thinking. If only I'd read your reply sooner in my life, I would have realized that in order to understand anything, I needed to submerge my brain into a sufficiently strong hallucinogenic state that I was no longer able to perceive clearly that thing under study. Your lesson is so simple: to perceive reality one must first fog one's mind to the point that reality can no longer be perceived. I cannot explain why that "truth" elluded me for so long. For example, in my teenage years when I was an avid scuba diver I cheapened my life experience by preventing myself from truly understanding (feeling) the bends because I took my depth gauge and watch on deep dives. What a fool I've been. If only I had "tuned in, turned on and dropped out" I would *know* so much more.

<Where is that tag?>
New Ah, sarcasm
First of all, you need to get past this one.

http://www.npr.org/b...d-mental-problems

2nd, you conflate all drugs with alcohol and other depressants. The fog you seem to ascribe to them simply doesn't exist.

3rd, in the case of the major psychedelics, the exact opposite occurs. We have a very strong filter system in place to allow us to ignore most of what we experience. It is tuned to allow us to quickly react to life threatening stimuli, and ignore pretty much everything else. Once I was in the garden, and the fluttering of a beetle's wings 30 feet away had the same effect as a low flying helicopter. We tune that stuff out. It is a wonderful survival mechanism, and evolution selected for it, but it it not something that favors deep observation or thought.

Psychedelics wipe this filter away, for a while, and allow us to observe way more than we would be able to otherwise. It is shocking and overwhelming at first, until you learn to pick and choose what stimuli to focus on, but it is very real. They also allow you to retrieve deep memories that are typically hidden. Again, they are a distraction and possibly painful, but once you have access to them in a safe environment, they can be dealt with.

Once this state of mind is achieved, you may discover far more than you would be able to otherwise. I'm not saying every experience is some wonderful scientific journey, but the possibilities are far greater than without simply because you have access to thought processes that you would not otherwise.
New Were you being sarcastic?
The study, in brief, says, "We didn't find anything, but you can't conclude anything from our study. Only that we didn't find any evidence." That's a long way from "compelling evidence" in my view.

Look, I don't care what people choose to do. I really don't. I don't (any longer) think "it's bad" that people use drugs - provided, of course, they don't harm anyone else while using. Nor do I believe we know very much about how the brain works nor how drugs interact with it - in fact you and I have argued over that very issue before. What I object to is the idea that anyone can achieve "better living through recreational psycho-active drug use." That idea, you and Ashton apparently embrace. We differ and we are not ever going to agree. That doesn't mean I think you and Ashton are lessor people because you do - or did. It is interesting that I'm accused of being lessor for having not. But it doesn't trouble me.
New no, but you were
Your analogy compared it to a stupid dangerous situation. Which is why I pointed out the article.
New dupe
Your analogy compared it to a stupid dangerous situation. Which is why I pointed out the article.
Expand Edited by crazy May 12, 2014, 09:33:01 AM EDT
New "Better Living Through Chemistry"
Dupont spent millions of dollars on that message and you choose to ignore it? :)

Seriously now, have you ever sovled a real vexing logical problem in your dreams? I have. All of a sudden, you clearly see the answer to what was a illogical puzzle. An aha moment. No drugs involved, but the mind was in a different state. The point is that the mind's "normal" state is a bit too rigid at times to let insight and creativity flow.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yes, I have.
Often in grad school I'd wake up with insight into a vexing topology problem. And even earlier, in undergrad I'd sometimes solve a Calculus problem in that same way. I've dreamed of new tunes to play on the banjo and (to my wife's consternation) ran and grabbed the banjo as soon as I awoke to play it for fear that I might lose the melody (which I've also done).

I don't have any issue with your statement that, "the mind's "normal" state is a bit too rigid at times to let insight and creativity flow." I'd say that music, for instance, could not exist were it not for the mind's inherent ability to loosen the stranglehold of logic and reason and truly "feel" something. What I am saying is that ability to experience intuition and creativity does not require the introduction of artificial stimulants. Your own posting and mine here, I think, clearly demonstrates that. And it is precisely because we don't understand the real effects of these artificial stimulants on the brain that having these experiences in the absence of artificial methods is, imo, a better (or "more natural" at least) method of experiencing them.
New Good points, but...
Yes, we don't understand enough about what lots chemicals do to the brain.

But we could say the same thing about almost anything we ingest. Chocolate, Caffeine, many antibiotics, etc., etc.

We're unlikely to have sufficient knowledge about what these things do to ourselves anytime soon. I don't think anyone disputes that.

But, the choice isn't between people taking the stuff and not. Some people will ingest things they "shouldn't". The choice is between and among treating individuals and industries involved in the production, distribution, marketing, and regulation of the stuff one way versus a myriad of others.

If you don't think people should be thrown in jail for decades for use of some of these things, then at some point you have to let people make their choices even if you think they're stupid (or even dangerous) choices.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.

New I'm obviously content to allow people to be stupid.
I've lived in Indiana for the past 28 years! ;0)
New Guess my points went Zooooom, then. Likely here, too.
We have stumbled well-into meta- Territory aka epistemology http://faculty.educa...-cziko/wm/06.html
Play? or Resign if your comfort-level got?/gets exceeded.

Here, later, you acknowledge your own experience of emotional-states via music, {meditation? inner-spawned chemicals? or outer-added ones??} facilitating..? maybe even permitting-at-all?? solutions to what you thought/still-think? were purely-intellectual, self-assigned Problems.

Simultaneously you hold-in-'mind(s!)' the contradiction that, having experienced the strait-jacket of the mechanistic-logic of intellect--verily having failed to solve {some problem,}
You conclude that (in your mind) it's too-dangerous--if not stupid-by-your-lights even to acknowledge that:
What crazy was talking about (much of which obv. went Zooom, too) and I chimed-in on, from my experience and lore--was no mere dilettante 'recreational'-employment lark:
employing our mentations to pursue experiments in an area acknowledged to be impoverished/filled with as much wrongth?/dumbth? ... as was Physics pre-Boltzmann ET AL.

(How generous of you to forthrightly tolerate our gawd-given Right ..to act stupid; your empathy is, surely well-validated:
you know the exact dictionary definition of the word. What more might a one need than that?)

Sorry that, my view of your insight-module is: of someone smugly content to hold strong opinions about matters you have not even logically investigated, never mind.. attempted to Reason about.
You're fun to agree-with/argue-with on a number of topics; alas, on My jury, I'd have to go for a peremptory challenge:
on grounds that "candidate's response to circumstantial evidence is seen to be prejudiced by casual 'opinions' untested by experiment/yet taken for some sort of personal-Certainty."

(Recall the thread on poor *Boltzmann?) His arguments were dismissed ["with-prejudice", goes that court-phrase] by the near-consensus then,
of entrenched beliefs about.. er PHYSICS'--its Main-Principles (like say, "atoms" and such?)

* Oh. and. more recently: Hawking's presentation upon (what next==soon came to be called Hawking-radiation in black holes/Singularities..
was momentarily met with dumbfounded ridicule-like noises, within that gaggle of fully-credentialed scientists™ er, fellow club members?
Welcome to the club. ;^>

Carrion.. we're all just composed of those atom-things, 99.999999%-of-which volume is
[just chock-full-of *Dark-energy and Dark-matter--which are the same 'thing' and maybe even tiny-Universes] ..but-we-call-it, 'empty-space'. Still.

* Dark: euphemism (like an MD's, 'non-specific vaginitis') for, We don't know Shit about that 'empty-space' Either.

The "open-minded" Are aware that 'open' does not mean.. that there's no keeping anything IN or OUT of that mind (via my definition, anyway.)
Our minds appear to be quite apart <--from--> that entire mechanical/physics-al Model of the material 'universe'; perhaps even.. quite-apart-from the body(??)
no wonder so many people are afraid to really Use theirs? it just.. so.. M y s t i c a l

(..and boy-howdy does THAT word scare lots of 'creative-accountants', bankers and, just-plain folks. Eh?)
New Backwards as usual
But we are used to that.

http://m.jech.bmj.co...1-200252.abstract

Conclusion High childhood IQ may increase the risk of illegal drug use in adolescence and adulthood.Conclusion High childhood IQ may increase the risk of illegal drug use in adolescence and adulthood.
New Love. It. succinct, scientific, satisfying--
almost becoming er, sarcastically?-so

Heh.. Grad HS at 15.5; IQ--one of those silly high-enough-numbers.. twice, maybe 3x.
(A Princess(!)--fiancé of a physicist administered one of those: her ~vocation. Heh.)
Never remotely tempted near alcoholic dependency==depressant; pot, only quite rarely (a couple Wowie grades--as a verification)
--largely depresses Inquisitiveness, at least in this sack-ful of chem-bio--soups.

Ditto, hardly-any (of the demon-ƒearing category), though some pure Owsley was one of those. No epiphany there, but Interesting.

My Other experiments re the esoteric, pretty-much trumped the above re. 'enlightenment' efforts.
(Though the entire Coca-leaf, as chewed by the locals--has more Interesting, thought-provoking substances
than ever have been separated-out, let alone honestly-Investigated.) How Puritan-Murican-to-a-Tee, that fact.
So, seems I'm an outlier, even amidst this test-collection of just-such.

Guess I'm just fuckin-Lucky to be, still, shufflin around, given the hugely-scary nature of these experiences
(not-to-mention Vincent Black Shadows or steering-around a light aircraft.. as amused friend disparaged my efforts to create er, sinusoidal-depeleneration in-the-sky. Ooooh: wavicles!)

Seems that one person's scary-Bugaboo is another's raison d'etre.. or in some cases.. even salvation-from? ... a tribe or Nation of primitives and scaredy-cats of all stripes.

Now.. if there Be such things as, The Bardos.. in some 'next'.. ... maybe a One gets to pick One's next nano-universe to Play In. I no words.

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
     One for crazy - (Ashton) - (40)
         Very true - (crazy) - (39)
             Ergo:'we' be 'their' enemy==fight-to-death [YAN] {sigh} cha. - (Ashton) - (36)
                 Um, openness isn't always such a good idea. - (mmoffitt) - (35)
                     sure, fuck everyone else and maintain the status quo -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                         Um, no. - (mmoffitt)
                     As Wolfgang Pauli said ... that's not even wrong -NT - (drook)
                     and no religion - (crazy) - (31)
                         "sacred" is not a religious notion then. - (mmoffitt) - (30)
                             which is sad - (crazy) - (29)
                                 Your interpretation is way off again. - (mmoffitt) - (28)
                                     insignificance? - (crazy) - (14)
                                         How long do we live? How old is the Universe? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                             No, not clear - (crazy) - (12)
                                                 My position is that individuals are significant. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                     And that is why racism is rational - (crazy) - (10)
                                                         I could not disagree more vehemently. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                             Please explain - (crazy) - (8)
                                                                 Sorry, I should have said I don't know what it means. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                     You can't. I have. - (crazy) - (6)
                                                                         You say you can. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                             Silly, feelings aren't "real" - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                 Speaking of Hemispheres. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 The parent-topic to this brouhaha is quite more Interesting, - (Ashton)
                                                                             Also, "non-therapeutic use" is a kicker - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                 If fundies prevail in '16, we'll return to coat-hangers - (Ashton)
                                     ..as drook and Pauli said: you're not even Wrong - (Ashton) - (12)
                                         Thanks, Ashton. It's all so clear to me know. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                             Ah, sarcasm - (crazy) - (10)
                                                 Were you being sarcastic? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                     no, but you were - (crazy)
                                                     dupe - (crazy)
                                                     "Better Living Through Chemistry" - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                                         Yes, I have. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                             Good points, but... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                 I'm obviously content to allow people to be stupid. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                     Guess my points went Zooooom, then. Likely here, too. - (Ashton)
                                                                     Backwards as usual - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                         Love. It. succinct, scientific, satisfying-- - (Ashton)
             I'm convinced that's why the LSD trade - (jake123) - (1)
                 ehh, way different - (crazy)

Everyone sing a song about popcorn!
102 ms