. . provided you chew it up well. Light cooking does make a lot of plant material more digestible but overcooking destroys vitamins and other nutrients. Light cooking also makes broccoli blend better with other ingredients in recipes.

Swiss chard I use a fair amount of and it's easily available at farmer's markets and ethnic groceries in Southern California at about $1.00 for a 1 pound bunch (bought a bunch this morning). The supermarkets also all have it but I don't pay supermarket prices for this sort of stuff. Red, white and yellow stemmed versions are available in that order of availability.

A (low carb) breakfast or side dish I've often used. Slice up a pound of polish sausage or similar. Put it in a wide sauté pan with 1/8" of water. Bring up over high heat uncovered and let all the water evaporate until the sausage slices start to fry, then stir them until lightly fried. Enough oil should have been rendered by the boiling but if your sausage is too lean use a little olive oil, if too fat pour some off. Cut the chard stems as desired (a 1 pound bunch), and shread the leaves course. Toss the stems into the sauté pan with 1/3 cup water, cover and simmer until half done. Stir the leaves in well and cover. Simmer until tender (check water, it shouldn't get dry) but not overdone. The sausage should provide enough salt so don't add any. Serve.

This also works very well with other greens, such as leafy broccoli (rapini or Chinese) or amaranth and particularly mustard greens, but collards don't work because they have to be cooked way too long.