IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Now let *me* explain something to *you*
It's not that we don't understand what you're saying, we don't agree. While I don't know of anyone else here who does usability as their primary job, a lot of us have spent quite a bit of time studying it. You can explain your point however you want, we'll still understand and still disagree.

Let's talk some specifics:

* Why is Screensaver under Advanced, while Network Proxy, PGP Preferences and Remote Desktop are top level?

* How is Printing a System Tool?

* Why doesn't Screen Resolution work in a default installation?

* And if it doesn't work, why is it on the menu?

* Why is the Keyboard settings under Accessibility a non-resizable window that doesn't fit vertically within the viewable area of my 800 x 600 laptop display?

None of these strike me as the type of things designed with usability in mind. But hey, at least they got rid of all those confusing options.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Bug. Bug. Bug. Distro Bug. Not a bug. Bug.
Filed 'em? (I should note that the usability-borked "advanced" submenu has gone in 2.10, at least as shipped by Ubuntu).

Having said all that, I've switched to Mac OS X as my primary desktop, so it's all a bit academic to me.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     Bizarre KDE Bug - (cwbrenn) - (83)
         That IS strange. - (imric)
         I have the answer... - (folkert) - (81)
             Yabut - (altmann) - (1)
                 You didn't get my meaning of... - (folkert)
             I've had no problems with KDE - (cwbrenn) - (77)
                 Oh, I know Chris.... - (folkert) - (76)
                     Oh - OK. Gnome sucks. - (imric) - (75)
                         I use GNOME. - (folkert) - (55)
                             No, it's not insane. - (pwhysall) - (45)
                                 *shakes head sadly* - (imric) - (44)
                                     /me points at KDE - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I agree! - (imric)
                                     Except - (ubernostrum) - (41)
                                         Ummm. - (imric) - (40)
                                             I don't think it's silly at all. - (pwhysall) - (39)
                                                 What's silly - (imric) - (36)
                                                     I don't think it's a hedge argument. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                         Mebbe. - (imric)
                                                     Feel free to ask for whatever you like. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                         Re: Feel free to ask for whatever you like. - (ubernostrum)
                                                         To be honest, it's not that important to me - (imric) - (3)
                                                             To most computer users, - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                                                 No it means "I can change the wallpaper." - (static) - (1)
                                                                     That's been a big thing in web-design the past few years. - (ubernostrum)
                                                         Tell that to Microsoft - (drewk)
                                                     I see. - (ubernostrum) - (26)
                                                         ROFL - actually, right! - (imric) - (25)
                                                             Ah yes, all that configurability. - (ubernostrum) - (24)
                                                                 Ah yes, all that availability. - (imric) - (23)
                                                                     You don't get it. - (ubernostrum) - (22)
                                                                         Huh? - (bepatient) - (16)
                                                                             "Removing functionality people find useful" - (ubernostrum) - (15)
                                                                                 Different Levels of Configuration options. - (folkert) - (14)
                                                                                     Harder than you think. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                     Users are stupid. - (ubernostrum) - (12)
                                                                                         I wonder... - (folkert) - (11)
                                                                                             I'm not. - (ubernostrum) - (10)
                                                                                                 Bah. Firefox made configuration tweaking MORE accessable. -NT - (imric) - (9)
                                                                                                     To expand on that - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                                                         And I'm saying - (ubernostrum) - (5)
                                                                                                             I completely disagree with that assertion. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                 Let me explain something to you. - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                                                                                                     Now let *me* explain something to *you* - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                         Bug. Bug. Bug. Distro Bug. Not a bug. Bug. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                     Re: Let me explain something to you. - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     Re: Bah. Firefox made configuration tweaking MORE accessabl - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                                                                         So what? - (imric)
                                                                         Ummm. What? - (imric) - (4)
                                                                             The gconf editor is no harder than about:config -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                 And about:config is easier - (imric) - (2)
                                                                                     What was there before... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         One last word (can't resist) - (imric)
                                                 Zenworks... - (folkert) - (1)
                                                     Does Linux Zenworks do policy, and if so, how? -NT - (pwhysall)
                             What Peter said. - (ubernostrum) - (8)
                                 That's fine but... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                     I sympathise with that. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         I'm pickier than you think - (ben_tilly)
                                     GNOME integration - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                         To me, GNOME sucks less than most other stuff. - (folkert) - (2)
                                             Coming from OS/2... - (cwbrenn)
                                             Maybe doing it every day is the trick - (ben_tilly)
                                 That's really the part that ticks me off: - (admin)
                         What about those SMB shares? - (Another Scott) - (18)
                             You can do all of that! - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                 Couldn't prove it by me. - (imric) - (7)
                                     Worked out-of-the-box for me. - (ubernostrum) - (6)
                                         Which means what? - (imric) - (5)
                                             Honestly? - (ubernostrum) - (4)
                                                 Uh huh. Yah. This discussion is OVER. - (imric) - (3)
                                                     Really? - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                         pull the other one - (boxley)
                                                     s/darkness/being the defacto Linux standard DE/ - (pwhysall)
                                 Behold! The new BMW Gnome 75! - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                     Ah, yes. - (ubernostrum) - (7)
                                         Happy to oblige. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         When in doubt, claim superiority. -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                                             Re: When in doubt, claim superiority. - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                                 That's a false dichotomy. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Nobody ever said "no configuration" - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                         Neither did I. -NT - (admin)
                                         We seem to be talking about different things. - (Another Scott)
             Thats why I use XFCE. - (bepatient)

You're typing on a device that stores trillions of pieces of data and makes billions of computations per second with the ability to grab data on almost anything from around the world in milliseconds, using electricity transmitted from hundreds of kilometers through wires on towers dozens of meters tall connected to megastructures that do things like burn coal as fast as entire trains can pull into the yard, or spin in the wind with blades the size of jumbo jets, or the like, which were delivered to their location by vehicles with computer-timed engines burning a fuel that was pumped up halfway around the world from up to half a dozen kilometers underground and locked into complex strata (through wells drilled by diamond-lined bores that can be remote-control steered as they go), shipped around the world in tankers with volumes the size of large city blocks and the height of apartment complexes, run through complex chemical processes in unimaginable quantities, distributed nationwide and sold to you at a corner store for $1.80 a gallon, which you then pay for with a little piece of microchipped plastic, if not a smartphone, which does all of the aforementioned computer stuff but in a box the size of your hand that tolerates getting beaten up in your pocket all day.

But technology never seems to advance...

108 ms