[link|http://www.kqed.org/radio/presentations/index.html#cityarts|KQED-FM listing]

Monday, August 13, 2001: Russia: Facing the Future \ufffd Moderator: Michael Nacht, Goldman School of Public Policy; Speakers: Judyth Twigg, Virginia Commonwealth University; Bruce Blair, President, Center for Defense Information.

World Affairs Council - I confused with Commonwealth Club - because of ref. I didn't check yet to see if .pdf is available - can get audio tapes of most, though.

Also I know CDI. IMO one of the more competent groups in DC. Visited them, support them with $ every year. Believe they have no political axes - just intelligence about military and related issues. (Center for Defense Information)

Yup. Bad. Worse because.. nothing hyperbolic in this presentation; their experience extends to time in USSR in the old days. Blair mentioned how strained are many of his personal relationships there, today.

I also have a couple friends from the LBL days, peripherally involved in above, over the years. They are quite unhappy at the recklessness and (didn't quite say 'blind stupidity') of ABM, NATO rhetoric -- and our foolish ineptness at critical junctures since the Wall came down.

I remember thinking at that time (really!): "..now if we will just offer some mini-Marshall plan so that this humongous conversion process can have sound foundation -- we'll save Trillions and suffering, end McCarthyism forever and... and this madness will actually terminate!" Silly me.

(We seemed to love Gorby and count on his manufacturing a mini-US just for us - never mind how much he pissed off his own folks.) We have no empathy or in this case - gratitude for a real break! Just self-congratulatory hubris + "what's the $ cost?"

:[

Ashton