IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I did...
What it should have been: "No, that's not quite what I'm looking for. Here's how it's different from what you proposed."

If you have to repeat yourself, so be it. You're the one asking for help. If you have to do more work to elicit the help, even if it seems unnecessary to you, then do so. Anything else seems like you don't appreciate the help that is being offered. And you should appreciate it, even if it is wrong. Someone took their time to think about your problem and offer a solution. You owe them the effort to work through their response with them.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Not quite
You outlined the response that you think would work, but didn't write out the full post that you think I should have written.

The problem is that I look at that outline and strongly suspect that if I had taken that and filled in the explanation that I am supposed to insert, the result would have wound up offending. Or if I did not offend, it would have been by luck, not skill. In fact that outline looks a lot like one of the responses to Drew that I threw away because I thought it would be offensive!

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic here, but I managed to offend when I was trying not to. And, even knowing that I offended, it was not immediately clear to me why it was offensive to someone else. Given the discussion so far, I think I could now write the response in a way that wouldn't offend. But it isn't easy and it isn't natural.

What you've done is like giving a non-programmer a brief description of how a program should go and telling them, "Hey, you just write it like this and you'll be fine!" Even though it is obvious to you how to finish, the odds that you're going to get a working program out of that person are somewhere between zero and zip.

OK, it isn't really that bad. I am hopefully more competent at social matters than most non-programmers are at programming. But I clearly remember when it would have been that bad...

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Dual desktops, to same set of virtual desktops? - (ben_tilly) - (47)
         I haven't found anything. - (folkert) - (35)
             Thanks for trying - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                 Brute-force method - (drewk) - (30)
                     That solves the wrong problem - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                         Punt - (drewk) - (28)
                             Ironic - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                                 No reply would have been better than #240993. IMHO. -NT - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                     Can you explain why? - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                                         Clarification - (drewk) - (4)
                                             Can you tell me how... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 I think this is clearer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Yes, that is clearer - (ben_tilly)
                                                 It's an "instance" problem - (drewk)
                                         Why people get pissed off at you: - (admin) - (17)
                                             Try to word my ideal response - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                                 I did... - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Not quite - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Been meaning to ask - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     WTF is that supposed to mean? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                                         Lighten up, Francis[1] - (drewk) - (8)
                                                             None of which I have seen - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 You've never seen *any* of them? - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                     I don't watch TV, remember? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Two were movies, and yes I remember - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                             Well next time please do - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Ben, you and I both had somewhat eclectic upbringings - (boxley)
                                                                                 Didn't mean to - (drewk)
                                                                     maybe the same planet I'm from 'cause - (cforde)
                                                         Nanu, nanu! -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Shazbot! -NT - (Yendor)
                                                         Jesus wept - (broomberg)
                                         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Thanks, that helps -NT - (ben_tilly)
             What about VNC? - (bepatient) - (2)
                 How could that possibly work? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     nope, you're correct - (bepatient)
         Maybe Xfce 4.2? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks, that *does* look promising..or not - (ben_tilly)
         s/linux/osx/g I know, solving wrong problem :-) -NT - (boxley) - (8)
             You can't do what I want with OS X, either. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 perhaps you are right but from your description - (boxley) - (6)
                     Read the description again - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Can you simulate what you want? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             It is closer to... - (ben_tilly)
                         From what I'm reading.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                             That part of it is very doable - (ben_tilly)
                             An alternate approach (new thread) - (ben_tilly)

I made you eggs. Straight from my womb to your plate!
72 ms