IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Can you tell me how...
I could have written the original question in a way that would have been understood?

I knew when I wrote it that it would sound very similar to many things that I didn't want. And I tried very hard to make it clear.

And yes, I actually said (So I could, if I wished, have both monitors showing me the same virtual desktop.) That implied to me that I would see the exact same applications on both of them.

As for Bill, his idea was much closer to what I asked for. He got the fact that it had to be possible for the same thing to be on both monitors. I felt that he just hadn't quite thought it through enough, and in his response he made it clear that he hadn't thought it through enough, and that he realized that for himself after posting.

In other words he knew what I was asking and thought he had a solution, but didn't. Which is very different than not figuring out what I was asking for.

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I think this is clearer.
[link|http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2004-July/msg00035.html|Gnome-list]:

I'm trying to be able to view different virtual desktops on different monitors. For example, if Metacity has four virtual desktops and I have two monitors, it would be nice if I could control those monitors to view any two virtual desktops.

It took him a couple of attempts to put it that succinctly though. ;-)

[edit:] Formatting...

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Jan. 11, 2006, 10:13:41 PM EST
New Yes, that is clearer
I am not surprised that it took him a while to find a succinct way to put it. I spent a surprising amount of time trying to make my initial question clear, and obviously didn't succeed.

I guess one take-away is that a concrete example is always good when attempting to clarify things.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New It's an "instance" problem
If you and I are both running "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5" we are both running the "same application". But we are running two different instances of two different installations on two different systems. If I were logged in twice to the same machine in different X sessions, I would be running two different instances if the same installation of the "same application".

So unfortunately, saying that you're viewing "the same applications on two screens" isn't unambiguous. And no, I can't tell you how to say it unambiguously and concisely.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Dual desktops, to same set of virtual desktops? - (ben_tilly) - (47)
         I haven't found anything. - (folkert) - (35)
             Thanks for trying - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                 Brute-force method - (drewk) - (30)
                     That solves the wrong problem - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                         Punt - (drewk) - (28)
                             Ironic - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                                 No reply would have been better than #240993. IMHO. -NT - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                     Can you explain why? - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                                         Clarification - (drewk) - (4)
                                             Can you tell me how... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 I think this is clearer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Yes, that is clearer - (ben_tilly)
                                                 It's an "instance" problem - (drewk)
                                         Why people get pissed off at you: - (admin) - (17)
                                             Try to word my ideal response - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                                 I did... - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Not quite - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Been meaning to ask - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     WTF is that supposed to mean? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                                         Lighten up, Francis[1] - (drewk) - (8)
                                                             None of which I have seen - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 You've never seen *any* of them? - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                     I don't watch TV, remember? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Two were movies, and yes I remember - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                             Well next time please do - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Ben, you and I both had somewhat eclectic upbringings - (boxley)
                                                                                 Didn't mean to - (drewk)
                                                                     maybe the same planet I'm from 'cause - (cforde)
                                                         Nanu, nanu! -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Shazbot! -NT - (Yendor)
                                                         Jesus wept - (broomberg)
                                         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Thanks, that helps -NT - (ben_tilly)
             What about VNC? - (bepatient) - (2)
                 How could that possibly work? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     nope, you're correct - (bepatient)
         Maybe Xfce 4.2? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks, that *does* look promising..or not - (ben_tilly)
         s/linux/osx/g I know, solving wrong problem :-) -NT - (boxley) - (8)
             You can't do what I want with OS X, either. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 perhaps you are right but from your description - (boxley) - (6)
                     Read the description again - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Can you simulate what you want? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             It is closer to... - (ben_tilly)
                         From what I'm reading.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                             That part of it is very doable - (ben_tilly)
                             An alternate approach (new thread) - (ben_tilly)

This is also known as CIA-assisted self-determination.
92 ms