IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What about VNC?
Could he access the same VNC session from seperate xwindow sessions? Its not direct but since he'd be on localhost it wouldn't be slow
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New How could that possibly work?
What I want is 2 monitors, each of which shows a different desktop from the same set of desktops. I don't just want the same desktop displayed twice - that is easy. I want two different desktops displayed at the same time. Another thing that is easy is to have 2 desktops from 2 different sets of desktops. I don't want that either.

This is architecturally difficult for reasons that I fully understand. The problem is that the idea of virtual desktops is managed by your window manager which sits between you and X. X knows nothing about virtual desktops. Only the window manager knows about them. No X-level solution can possibly do what I want without assistance from that layer - the window manager has to actively cooperate in the idea of displaying two different virtual desktops when normally it only displays one.

That is why VNC won't cut it. The server component of VNC is a replacement for X that is designed to be shared through a simple client. Being at the level of X, it knows nothing about virtual desktops and therefore cannot do anything more than throw out copies of the one desktop that it sees. Sure, I can have one desktop displayed from X, and another from a VNC session. But those two desktops are not managed by the same running window manager, and therefore are selected from different sets of virtual desktops. Which is not what I wanted.

That is why I said up front that I would be willing to switch window managers to get this feature, because I know that I could only get it by using a window manager that had support for this built in.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New nope, you're correct
thought about that after posting. Anything you do on one will be mirrored on the other which is clearly not what you want to happen.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Dual desktops, to same set of virtual desktops? - (ben_tilly) - (47)
         I haven't found anything. - (folkert) - (35)
             Thanks for trying - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                 Brute-force method - (drewk) - (30)
                     That solves the wrong problem - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                         Punt - (drewk) - (28)
                             Ironic - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                                 No reply would have been better than #240993. IMHO. -NT - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                     Can you explain why? - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                                         Clarification - (drewk) - (4)
                                             Can you tell me how... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 I think this is clearer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Yes, that is clearer - (ben_tilly)
                                                 It's an "instance" problem - (drewk)
                                         Why people get pissed off at you: - (admin) - (17)
                                             Try to word my ideal response - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                                 I did... - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Not quite - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Been meaning to ask - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     WTF is that supposed to mean? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                                         Lighten up, Francis[1] - (drewk) - (8)
                                                             None of which I have seen - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 You've never seen *any* of them? - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                     I don't watch TV, remember? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Two were movies, and yes I remember - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                             Well next time please do - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Ben, you and I both had somewhat eclectic upbringings - (boxley)
                                                                                 Didn't mean to - (drewk)
                                                                     maybe the same planet I'm from 'cause - (cforde)
                                                         Nanu, nanu! -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Shazbot! -NT - (Yendor)
                                                         Jesus wept - (broomberg)
                                         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Thanks, that helps -NT - (ben_tilly)
             What about VNC? - (bepatient) - (2)
                 How could that possibly work? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     nope, you're correct - (bepatient)
         Maybe Xfce 4.2? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks, that *does* look promising..or not - (ben_tilly)
         s/linux/osx/g I know, solving wrong problem :-) -NT - (boxley) - (8)
             You can't do what I want with OS X, either. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 perhaps you are right but from your description - (boxley) - (6)
                     Read the description again - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Can you simulate what you want? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             It is closer to... - (ben_tilly)
                         From what I'm reading.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                             That part of it is very doable - (ben_tilly)
                             An alternate approach (new thread) - (ben_tilly)

It's all fun and games until someone loses a lung.
123 ms