IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Maybe Xfce 4.2?
I can't quite tell from the writeup [link|http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=overview&lang=en|here], but it sounds like it might be possible.

Window manager (xfwm4)

The Xfce 4 window manager. It manages the placement of application windows on the screen, provides window decorations and manages workspaces or virtual desktops. Xfwm4 natively supports multihead mode. It provides its own compositing manager (a manager for the Xorg Composite extension, which brings true transparency to the Xfce desktop). The themes support image composition with PNG images as layers, which means that one can do gradients or anything else, and that applies to any pixmap that make the window frame. Xfwm4 includes a keyboard shorcuts editor. Moreover, users can shade windows and switch desktops using the mouse wheel.

I've seen other people asking about the same thing as you, in 2004, but haven't seen a solution posted.

Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, that *does* look promising..or not
Though in a quick Google I can't find out what they mean by that snippet. But having one desktop manager managing multiple screens at least creates an architecture where what I want is possible.

I'll look around more later.

Thanks,
Ben

Update: I spent some time trying to find documentation and couldn't. Then I looked at their mailing list archive and everything that I found discussing dual head setups strongly suggests that their integrated multiscreen support boils down to stuff like, "When you maximize an application, it only should cover one screen." I will still join their mailing list and ask whether it can do what I want, but I'm not very hopeful.

Update 2: From responses on the mailing list, it is definitely not possible. :-(
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Jan. 12, 2006, 12:42:21 AM EST
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Jan. 12, 2006, 11:27:41 AM EST
     Dual desktops, to same set of virtual desktops? - (ben_tilly) - (47)
         I haven't found anything. - (folkert) - (35)
             Thanks for trying - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                 Brute-force method - (drewk) - (30)
                     That solves the wrong problem - (ben_tilly) - (29)
                         Punt - (drewk) - (28)
                             Ironic - (ben_tilly) - (27)
                                 No reply would have been better than #240993. IMHO. -NT - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                     Can you explain why? - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                                         Clarification - (drewk) - (4)
                                             Can you tell me how... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 I think this is clearer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Yes, that is clearer - (ben_tilly)
                                                 It's an "instance" problem - (drewk)
                                         Why people get pissed off at you: - (admin) - (17)
                                             Try to word my ideal response - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                                 I did... - (admin) - (1)
                                                     Not quite - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Been meaning to ask - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     WTF is that supposed to mean? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                                         Lighten up, Francis[1] - (drewk) - (8)
                                                             None of which I have seen - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 You've never seen *any* of them? - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                     I don't watch TV, remember? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Two were movies, and yes I remember - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                             Well next time please do - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Ben, you and I both had somewhat eclectic upbringings - (boxley)
                                                                                 Didn't mean to - (drewk)
                                                                     maybe the same planet I'm from 'cause - (cforde)
                                                         Nanu, nanu! -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Shazbot! -NT - (Yendor)
                                                         Jesus wept - (broomberg)
                                         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Thanks, that helps -NT - (ben_tilly)
             What about VNC? - (bepatient) - (2)
                 How could that possibly work? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     nope, you're correct - (bepatient)
         Maybe Xfce 4.2? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks, that *does* look promising..or not - (ben_tilly)
         s/linux/osx/g I know, solving wrong problem :-) -NT - (boxley) - (8)
             You can't do what I want with OS X, either. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 perhaps you are right but from your description - (boxley) - (6)
                     Read the description again - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Can you simulate what you want? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             It is closer to... - (ben_tilly)
                         From what I'm reading.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                             That part of it is very doable - (ben_tilly)
                             An alternate approach (new thread) - (ben_tilly)

This country was built on the hope that one day we could all own a Batcave.
202 ms