IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Compare 2nd Amendment to VA Bill of Rights from 6/12/1776
[link|http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu/sacred/va_const_1776.html|Here]:

SEC. 13. That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free State; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided, as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

[link|http://www.libertyhaven.com/theoreticalorphilosophicalissues/history/fatherbill.html|George Mason], of Virginia, was greatly responsible for the VA and US Bills of Rights. I don't know enough about the documents to say why the text was changed, but it seems clear that the 2nd Amendment comes from a document that was concerned with state militias. Perhaps someone can find the time to dig through [link|http://www.foundingfathers.info/federalistpapers/fed46.htm|Federalist 46] and related documents to shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Scott.
New interesting
that sounds like the practical history of the Canadian armed forces... we tend to build them quick when we need them, and shrink and starve 'em the rest of the time. This helps to mitigate against foreign adventurism; a factor in the decision not to go in with you guys on Iraq is because our commitment to Afghanistan pretty much used up any slack we had in the system, and then some. Of course, the fact that it was very much not supported by the Canadian public (who did, after all, widely support the decision to invade Afghanistan), that it would give Harper (leader of the opposition) fits, and that Chretien by this point had made his opinion of GWB pretty clear (can you say epais?) as was his opinion of the quality of the information that the US was attempting to present to tie Saddam to 9/11.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     A little Salon *Flash* to remind us - (Ashton) - (84)
         If I may paraphrase you: Love ....... It! - (Meerkat) - (1)
             not hardly - (boxley)
         What a load of cr@p. - (imric) - (81)
             That's one way of looking at it. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Put a price tag on it and it's as good as sold... - (hnick)
                 Chances of getting filled in here are much lower than there - (boxley) - (2)
                     'filled in'? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         euphemism for getting the crap kicked out of you -NT - (boxley)
                 And how many males have - (imric) - (20)
                     Well, if your characters are so flawed... - (CRConrad) - (15)
                         Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (imric) - (14)
                             Re: Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 They do - (jake123) - (2)
                                     Wrong guns are designed only to kill humans - (boxley) - (1)
                                         The answer is "does not approve of any killing" - (jake123)
                             Did I? Is that a cogent counter to my argument? No. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 No it's not enough. - (imric) - (2)
                                     You're misunderstanding me completely. (And intentionally?) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         + OK... -NT - (imric)
                                 the big disconnect between us - (boxley) - (5)
                                     He has post Nazi PC disease - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Oh, POAD, you frigging moron. - (CRConrad)
                                     You are totally wrong there, Box. (What else is new? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         after reading you reply to Imric on why you joined in - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Sure there is - (deSitter)
                     Re: And how many males have - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Top-notch! - (Ashton)
                         Wow, an anagram! I guess that proves it then. ;) -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                             There is no doubt - (deSitter)
             So then..EEZ-availability is entirely Irrelevant.___ I see. -NT - (Ashton) - (54)
                 Yes. Coincidental. -NT - (imric) - (53)
                     "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (CRConrad) - (52)
                         Ill start worrying when my chance of dying by a bullet - (boxley) - (2)
                             That's silly. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 ROFL! I wont reduce my risk of puking blood in my own fat - (boxley)
                         Re: "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (admin) - (13)
                             Yeah, possible, but I think that's discounted for already. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Either way... - (admin) - (1)
                                     What do you mean by "problem"? - (CRConrad)
                             Nod. - (imric) - (1)
                                 Pure Boolean. Again. - (Ashton)
                             Oakland calling - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                 just be glad they are not using grenades or suicide bombers - (boxley) - (6)
                                     Whatever, Box. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         gee the guy that does that is - (boxley) - (3)
                                             I'd say that's part of the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Um, I must pick that nit. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     No argument there. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Private ownership of guns banned in Chicago - (lincoln)
                         Guns are not a cause. - (imric) - (34)
                             Computers were designed for things other than virus creation - (Meerkat) - (27)
                                 'stuff'? - (imric) - (26)
                                     Completely not the point I was trying to get across. - (Meerkat) - (25)
                                         Missing mine. - (imric) - (24)
                                             Guns like computers are tools - (orion) - (23)
                                                 Re: Guns like computers are tools - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                                     You note the futility, but ... - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                         Militias != army !=police - (imric) - (20)
                                                             I can't help it. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                                                                 larn yersel history - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                     You want to check those dates again? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                         absolute bull puckey from a man who grew up in NC - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                             That we would owe to... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Somewhat OT: a single Frenchman - (admin)
                                                                 Sorry. Wrong. - (imric) - (13)
                                                                     Guess again. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                         Yeah, and what other 'perversions' have occured via SC? - (imric) - (10)
                                                                             Who said anything about the Army? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                                 Compare 2nd Amendment to VA Bill of Rights from 6/12/1776 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     interesting - (jake123)
                                                                                 So according to you the supreme court is never wrong? - (boxley)
                                                                                 Militia - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     Did *you* understand the *original* definition? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                         Nice try, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                         No. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                             that is a very good point - (SpiceWare)
                                                                                         Wanna read what started it? - (bepatient)
                                                                     Then.. in a Document renowned for its blinding clarity, - (Ashton)
                             Re: Guns are not a cause. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 yes they both should be legal and cheap - (boxley)
                             They don't have to be. Are you denying they are a means? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Patriots. I understand him perfectly. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     Aye. -NT - (imric)
                                     Yeah, yeah. All noble sentiments... - (CRConrad)

People from Iowa are often kinda dumb, but their English isn't that bad, even though they come from Central America.
163 ms