IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did I? Is that a cogent counter to my argument? No.
Imric tries:
I object to people treating guns as a 'cause' of their own misuse. It's illogical. It's wrong. It's immoral (a shirking of responsibility).
Did I say guns are "a 'cause' of thier own misuse"? No.

Do they have to be "a 'cause' of their own misuse" in order for the banning of them to be a valid logical solution to the problem of gun killings? No.

It is enough for guns to be a *means* of killing; a *means* of "their own misuse".

Did I ever say I saw guns as anything other than a *means* of killing? No.

The problem is, you Yanks, due to your flawed characters -- according to your own earlier post -- go around killing each other with guns all the time.

Sure, *one* theoretically valid solution would be to remove the "root cause", and fix those flawed characters of yours. But that's probably practically impossible.

Fortunately, that is not the *only* valid solution: Remove the means of something, and the something won't occur as frequently any more, is another at least as sound approach.

You don't have to see guns as "the root cause" of anything in order to be able to argue that removing them from the equation would solve the problem.

(BTW, by the argument *you* used, fire fighters should stop trying to deprive fires of oxygen; only removing the burning material -- the fuel -- itself would be a valid strategy. [Or trying to undo the fact of ignition, or whatever you see as "the root cause" of a fire -- anyway, as opposed to removing the oxygen, which is just a means for the fire to go on burning...] *That* is illogical and wrong, and probably stupid enough as to be downright immoral.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New No it's not enough.
Removing legal guns does not mean I won't be shot, won't be killed by other means.

It does mean that I, personally, won't be able to do anything about it if the situation comes up, though.

It would mean that I would have to depend on Mother-Father-Brother government to protect me.

There are many places, if not MOST places here, that are out of reach of the cradling arms of the police.

Guns are illegal in cities like NY - how many are shot there as opposed to in the country where everybody has a gun (or two, or three)?

I've chased a burglar out of my home - miles away from the police (a department with only a few cops and a few hundred hundred of sq. m to patrol) - with a shotgun, before - didn't shoot the guy, either.

"Remove the means of something, and the something won't occur as frequently any more, is another at least as sound approach."

As sound? Remove self-defense, and killings will stop? HERE? I don't buy it.

And what's whith the straw man, Christian? "According to your own post... ...killing eachother all the time"? Youreally can argue logically when you want - why resort to things like that?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New You're misunderstanding me completely. (And intentionally?)
ImriSkip misses (at least) half the equation:
Removing legal guns does not mean I won't be shot, won't be killed by other means.
Who said anything about removing *only legal* guns?!?

Not me, for sure. Of fucking *course* "removing the guns" will only work if it removes *all* the guns.

It does mean that I, personally, won't be able to do anything about it if the situation comes up, though.

It would mean that I would have to depend on Mother-Father-Brother government to protect me.
Yeah, yeah; Evil Big Brother, blah blah blah...

Are you *sure* you shouldn't go off into the hills and found your own little mini-state-within-a-state...? (Remember to call it something with "Free" and "Militia" in it, and to always, *always*, ALWAYS refer to your place as a "compound". HTH! :-)

"Remove the means of something, and the something won't occur as frequently any more, is another at least as sound approach."

As sound? Remove self-defense, and killings will stop? HERE? I don't buy it.
It's at least as *logically* valid a *theoretical* approach as removing the root cause, which you apparently insist on being the *only* valid approach.

Look, I think you're misunderstanding my part in this debate: I am NOT saying removing all the guns is a *practically* feasible solution, or that it's absolutely and definitely the one you guys should (try to) follow.

I'm pretty much a disinterested bystander(*) in this debate, and only dipped in to correct a few logical errors; an Ashtonian endeavour of protecting the language from corruption; or trying to referee the meta-level of the conversation that you guys are carrying out the base level of, if you will.

To wit: My whole point was that your post about "removing the guns" being "illogical" and necessarily "emotional" was bogus; *logically*, it's prefectly valid.

And what's whith the straw man, Christian? "According to your own post... ...killing eachother all the time"? Youreally can argue logically when you want - why resort to things like that?
Huh?!?

You're parsing it all wrong!

That was, "due to your flawed characters -- according to your own post"; pointing out that the "flawed characters" EXPLANATION OF THE REASON (for *why* you Yanks go around killing each other with guns all the time) was yours.

I WAS NOT claiming that my formulation of the whole problem -- that "you Yanks go around killing each other with guns all the time" -- was yours. That's a given, anyway; obvious to anyone.

And I wouldn't have thought it's controversial, either: What is it you are protesting as a "strawman" -- are you claiming that you Yanks *don't* go around killing each other with guns all the time(+)? Or are you saying that it isn't a problem?

(*): I'm pretty much convinced, and getting ever more so, that not only are you Yanks basically weirdoes, but you're also incorrigible ones and won't ever come to your senses. Not that you aren't prefectly nice people, most of you, on a one-to-one level, and I wouldn't blink an eye at having *one or a few of you* as neighbours, provided the neighbourhood itself was somewhere sane... But, *as a nation*, you are at least psychotic, and possibly downright psychopathic.

So, since you guys aren't ever going to either give up your guns, or become civilised enough to stop killing each other with them all the time, WTF would be the use for me to *actually* participate in any such discussion? Naah... So what I am trying to protect from abuse here is just a meta-level entity; the language that, at least so far, is still the common English one. (Once your Yank weirdification of it has gone far enough that it's oficially a separate thing from the Queen's English, you can do whatever you want to it, for all I care. But not until then.)

(+): Oh, for fuck's sake, read that little flight of hyperbole as (black-)humourously as it was intended! *Compared to anybody else*, "it sure seems as if you guys have a hard time squeezing in both an eight-hour workday AND a social life, between all the shootouts!", like... :-)

Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New + OK...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New the big disconnect between us
That you personally cannot forsee ever having to need one. I or the otherhand am dang sure that there will be a reason to have one.
thanx,
bill
Time for Lord Stanley to get a Tan
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New He has post Nazi PC disease
He's touchy-feely with no good reason other than to live with the fact that his ancestors were monsters.
-drl
New Oh, POAD, you frigging moron.
The only mistake the Nazis made was going for the Jews -- they should obviously have eliminated all the gimp Yank physicist wannabes instead!

New You are totally wrong there, Box. (What else is new? :-)
New after reading you reply to Imric on why you joined in
I understand your position a little better. You agree there isnt a logical solution to this issue.
thanx,
bill
Time for Lord Stanley to get a Tan
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Sure there is
Either you trust your citizenry or not. We don't. The people are enemies of the state by assumption, and must be reined in. That is why everything is so FUBAR.
-drl
     A little Salon *Flash* to remind us - (Ashton) - (84)
         If I may paraphrase you: Love ....... It! - (Meerkat) - (1)
             not hardly - (boxley)
         What a load of cr@p. - (imric) - (81)
             That's one way of looking at it. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Put a price tag on it and it's as good as sold... - (hnick)
                 Chances of getting filled in here are much lower than there - (boxley) - (2)
                     'filled in'? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         euphemism for getting the crap kicked out of you -NT - (boxley)
                 And how many males have - (imric) - (20)
                     Well, if your characters are so flawed... - (CRConrad) - (15)
                         Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (imric) - (14)
                             Re: Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 They do - (jake123) - (2)
                                     Wrong guns are designed only to kill humans - (boxley) - (1)
                                         The answer is "does not approve of any killing" - (jake123)
                             Did I? Is that a cogent counter to my argument? No. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 No it's not enough. - (imric) - (2)
                                     You're misunderstanding me completely. (And intentionally?) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         + OK... -NT - (imric)
                                 the big disconnect between us - (boxley) - (5)
                                     He has post Nazi PC disease - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Oh, POAD, you frigging moron. - (CRConrad)
                                     You are totally wrong there, Box. (What else is new? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         after reading you reply to Imric on why you joined in - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Sure there is - (deSitter)
                     Re: And how many males have - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Top-notch! - (Ashton)
                         Wow, an anagram! I guess that proves it then. ;) -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                             There is no doubt - (deSitter)
             So then..EEZ-availability is entirely Irrelevant.___ I see. -NT - (Ashton) - (54)
                 Yes. Coincidental. -NT - (imric) - (53)
                     "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (CRConrad) - (52)
                         Ill start worrying when my chance of dying by a bullet - (boxley) - (2)
                             That's silly. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 ROFL! I wont reduce my risk of puking blood in my own fat - (boxley)
                         Re: "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (admin) - (13)
                             Yeah, possible, but I think that's discounted for already. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Either way... - (admin) - (1)
                                     What do you mean by "problem"? - (CRConrad)
                             Nod. - (imric) - (1)
                                 Pure Boolean. Again. - (Ashton)
                             Oakland calling - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                 just be glad they are not using grenades or suicide bombers - (boxley) - (6)
                                     Whatever, Box. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         gee the guy that does that is - (boxley) - (3)
                                             I'd say that's part of the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Um, I must pick that nit. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     No argument there. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Private ownership of guns banned in Chicago - (lincoln)
                         Guns are not a cause. - (imric) - (34)
                             Computers were designed for things other than virus creation - (Meerkat) - (27)
                                 'stuff'? - (imric) - (26)
                                     Completely not the point I was trying to get across. - (Meerkat) - (25)
                                         Missing mine. - (imric) - (24)
                                             Guns like computers are tools - (orion) - (23)
                                                 Re: Guns like computers are tools - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                                     You note the futility, but ... - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                         Militias != army !=police - (imric) - (20)
                                                             I can't help it. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                                                                 larn yersel history - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                     You want to check those dates again? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                         absolute bull puckey from a man who grew up in NC - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                             That we would owe to... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Somewhat OT: a single Frenchman - (admin)
                                                                 Sorry. Wrong. - (imric) - (13)
                                                                     Guess again. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                         Yeah, and what other 'perversions' have occured via SC? - (imric) - (10)
                                                                             Who said anything about the Army? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                                 Compare 2nd Amendment to VA Bill of Rights from 6/12/1776 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     interesting - (jake123)
                                                                                 So according to you the supreme court is never wrong? - (boxley)
                                                                                 Militia - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     Did *you* understand the *original* definition? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                         Nice try, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                         No. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                             that is a very good point - (SpiceWare)
                                                                                         Wanna read what started it? - (bepatient)
                                                                     Then.. in a Document renowned for its blinding clarity, - (Ashton)
                             Re: Guns are not a cause. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 yes they both should be legal and cheap - (boxley)
                             They don't have to be. Are you denying they are a means? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Patriots. I understand him perfectly. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     Aye. -NT - (imric)
                                     Yeah, yeah. All noble sentiments... - (CRConrad)

Stop obsessing about collecting All Kinds of Stupid Crap.
273 ms