IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They do
well, some guns do. Handguns, assault rifles, smgs, etc are only good for killing people. However, long guns do have other uses... like killing varmints. Not an inconsequential use either, if you live in rural Canada and farm.

We've had a hell of a time doing gun control legislation that can effectively deal with the contexts of rural and (esp big-city) urban Canada. One reason why it's so difficult is because of the federal nature of our system. However, there are some fundamental disconnects between the two communities. In fact, on a legal level, there are some fundamental disconnects between the two: cities belong to the province, not to the federal government. This makes creating that kind of legislation difficult.

Incidentally, the main jurisdictional issues involved are that gun control decision making should be municipally based, but neither municipalities nor provinces can make crimes: only the federal government can. However, the federal government doesn't do summary and/or civil stuff very much (outside the setting of standards). Since carrying a loaded rifle in downtown Flin Flon might need different treatment than one in downtown Toronto (in Flin Flon, you might be taking out the family of prairie dogs that moved into your backyard this spring, while in Toronto if you're just cruising around with a loaded rifle you're probably looking for the bank, or worse yet the bell tower), it's difficult because no one particular government has all the tools available to it.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Wrong guns are designed only to kill humans
that they are effective varmit control and food gathering tools is a good side effect. The cultural difference is when I want a gun to kill someone, it is annoying to have to track down a cop or rob a gun store then go after the person needing killing while the person needing killing is beating feet as fast as possible. Your culture either does not approve of any killing or only allowing people far from the circumstances to decide. I would rather live in a society where if I decide who needs killing and those same dispassionate civilians decide after the fact if I was right or not.
thanx,
bill
Time for Lord Stanley to get a Tan
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New The answer is "does not approve of any killing"
the only capital crime we have is treason in time of war. This is in place for use on the battlefield.

After all, you never know when you might need to be able to shoot for desertion etc. It gives the commanders in the field the room that they absolutely have to have to maintain discipline without worrying about charges.

This assumes that some other soldier doesn't disagree with the commander. This makes using this very rare, but means it can be there when absolutely necessary.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     A little Salon *Flash* to remind us - (Ashton) - (84)
         If I may paraphrase you: Love ....... It! - (Meerkat) - (1)
             not hardly - (boxley)
         What a load of cr@p. - (imric) - (81)
             That's one way of looking at it. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Put a price tag on it and it's as good as sold... - (hnick)
                 Chances of getting filled in here are much lower than there - (boxley) - (2)
                     'filled in'? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         euphemism for getting the crap kicked out of you -NT - (boxley)
                 And how many males have - (imric) - (20)
                     Well, if your characters are so flawed... - (CRConrad) - (15)
                         Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (imric) - (14)
                             Re: Did I? As if we stood on a par? No. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 They do - (jake123) - (2)
                                     Wrong guns are designed only to kill humans - (boxley) - (1)
                                         The answer is "does not approve of any killing" - (jake123)
                             Did I? Is that a cogent counter to my argument? No. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 No it's not enough. - (imric) - (2)
                                     You're misunderstanding me completely. (And intentionally?) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         + OK... -NT - (imric)
                                 the big disconnect between us - (boxley) - (5)
                                     He has post Nazi PC disease - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Oh, POAD, you frigging moron. - (CRConrad)
                                     You are totally wrong there, Box. (What else is new? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         after reading you reply to Imric on why you joined in - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Sure there is - (deSitter)
                     Re: And how many males have - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Top-notch! - (Ashton)
                         Wow, an anagram! I guess that proves it then. ;) -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                             There is no doubt - (deSitter)
             So then..EEZ-availability is entirely Irrelevant.___ I see. -NT - (Ashton) - (54)
                 Yes. Coincidental. -NT - (imric) - (53)
                     "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (CRConrad) - (52)
                         Ill start worrying when my chance of dying by a bullet - (boxley) - (2)
                             That's silly. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 ROFL! I wont reduce my risk of puking blood in my own fat - (boxley)
                         Re: "Coincidence"??? Bullpucky! - (admin) - (13)
                             Yeah, possible, but I think that's discounted for already. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Either way... - (admin) - (1)
                                     What do you mean by "problem"? - (CRConrad)
                             Nod. - (imric) - (1)
                                 Pure Boolean. Again. - (Ashton)
                             Oakland calling - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                 just be glad they are not using grenades or suicide bombers - (boxley) - (6)
                                     Whatever, Box. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         gee the guy that does that is - (boxley) - (3)
                                             I'd say that's part of the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Um, I must pick that nit. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     No argument there. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Private ownership of guns banned in Chicago - (lincoln)
                         Guns are not a cause. - (imric) - (34)
                             Computers were designed for things other than virus creation - (Meerkat) - (27)
                                 'stuff'? - (imric) - (26)
                                     Completely not the point I was trying to get across. - (Meerkat) - (25)
                                         Missing mine. - (imric) - (24)
                                             Guns like computers are tools - (orion) - (23)
                                                 Re: Guns like computers are tools - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                                     You note the futility, but ... - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                         Militias != army !=police - (imric) - (20)
                                                             I can't help it. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                                                                 larn yersel history - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                     You want to check those dates again? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                         absolute bull puckey from a man who grew up in NC - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                             That we would owe to... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Somewhat OT: a single Frenchman - (admin)
                                                                 Sorry. Wrong. - (imric) - (13)
                                                                     Guess again. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                                                         Yeah, and what other 'perversions' have occured via SC? - (imric) - (10)
                                                                             Who said anything about the Army? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                                 Compare 2nd Amendment to VA Bill of Rights from 6/12/1776 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     interesting - (jake123)
                                                                                 So according to you the supreme court is never wrong? - (boxley)
                                                                                 Militia - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     Did *you* understand the *original* definition? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                         Nice try, but.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                         No. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                             that is a very good point - (SpiceWare)
                                                                                         Wanna read what started it? - (bepatient)
                                                                     Then.. in a Document renowned for its blinding clarity, - (Ashton)
                             Re: Guns are not a cause. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 yes they both should be legal and cheap - (boxley)
                             They don't have to be. Are you denying they are a means? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Patriots. I understand him perfectly. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                     Aye. -NT - (imric)
                                     Yeah, yeah. All noble sentiments... - (CRConrad)

Too busy performing brain surgery on sick children to respond, sorry.
193 ms