IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What, you think BeeP is the only economist in here???
Addison writes:
[Quoting me:] I do wish you wouldn't pontificate with such absolute self-confidence on economics -- it really doesn't seem to be justified.
When BP tells me shut up, I'll hush. In the meantime, I'll keep on being self-confident. :)
So what's he got that's so much better, in your opinion, than my B.Sc in Econ and BA -- with specialization in econometrics -- from Uppsala University, 1992? A Master's, perhaps? I wasn't too far off from that myself either, what with the extra courses I took, beyond the requirements for a Bachelor's, if that's any help... (What economics exam did you take, BeeP, and where and when?)

Why should you doubt my word on shit like this in the first place, Addison, considering it's exactly this kind of shit that I've studied full-time (before you say it: from mostly American textbooks, so I'm not indoctrinated in some weird special kind of pseudo-Soviet Swedish Economics...) for far too many years -- which, AFAICT, you haven't?

Oh, and either I'm reading you wrong, or your "0 elasticity, everything's interchangeable" and "The more elastic things are, the more interchangable ... The less elastic, the less interchangeable" seem to imply you think elasticity is somehow synonymous with interchangeability. That's a new one to me... Any input, BeeP?

(ObPrescientLRPD: "(It's only a model...) SHHHH!")
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything (Yes, When It Comes To Economics, He Really Fucking DOES Know!)
New No idea how many there are in here.
But I'll say that your initial forays certainly didn't seem to indicate that level of education. Whether that's a mark on the learning, or the individual I won't comment on. :)

Why should you doubt my word on shit like this in the first place, Addison, considering it's exactly this kind of shit that I've studied full-time

Because I made a statement that should have been very easily understood by someone with econ background, and you jump and ridicule it, and say something that I consider to be at odds with that education you boast? Even with that knowledge now, I'd have to go back and edit and say "you should certainly know better".

If you've had that much econ, then you know what I'm talking about. So to make the comment you did, that's at the time all I've got to measure your knowledge by.

I'm not indoctrinated in some weird special kind of pseudo-Soviet Swedish Economics...) for far too many years -- which, AFAICT, you haven't?

You're right. I've never studied any pseudo-Soviet Swedish Economics.

Oh, and either I'm reading you wrong, or your "0 elasticity, everything's interchangeable" and "The more elastic things are, the more interchangable ... The less elastic, the less interchangeable" seem to imply you think elasticity is somehow synonymous with interchangeability.

D'oh. You're right. There are seperate conditions, and they are in some cases related/linked, (which is what I was thinking about). They should be considered seperately, sorry about that.

Mea Culpa.

Addison
New Econometrics...cool
I hated that ;)

Even though it was probably one of the more interesting aspect of economics ...it was also not easy....until the teacher finally broke down and let us solve a model or 2 using an actual computer (the bastard)....we spend nearly 6 weeks solving a model by hand that we ran through the computer in about an hour....

the teachers explanation...(and unfortunately he was right)..."Now you understand the output...don't you?"

Want a word that still makes me break into a cold sweat...multicollinearity.

Your's is a BS also...most schools only offer BA in Econ anymore...seems like the new crop of kids don't feel that differential equations should be required study...

Several exams...42 hours of economics.(that would be 14 college classes)....and an academic award. So figure at least a midterm and final in each...would be 28 exams...and say 2 more in at least half...so ...conservative estimate...42 exams. I still have the term papers (30 pages or more, each)...there were 6 of those. Add to that the other basic biz courses...Accounting, Marketing, Management, Finance...plus the basic psych, sociology, French, German (don't quiz me there...ich everything forgotten ;))(but I still have the book)

Then grad school...

No biggie. Econ was fun...the speciality really is antitrust. Main paper in graduate school was a full comparison of US and EU antitrust. And the current job requires yearly updates in antitrust...got to stay current so's to not get my employer into any trouble.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Bill Gates's way, or no way - (addison) - (105)
         A lesson - - (imric) - (104)
             At last I see, the only viable solution next: - (Ashton)
             Wrong lesson. - (addison) - (102)
                 This faith may not be entirely misplaced but.. - (Ashton)
                 And the Thousand Year Reich would have corrected itself . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     Touch\ufffd____cackle___cackle_____Market Forces for Dummies\ufffd - (Ashton)
                     Markets, Andrew, not Governments. - (addison) - (5)
                         False Godwin. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             False False godwin. - (addison)
                         I fail to see the difference. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             The one sentence version - (Andrew Grygus)
                             I agree, its a failing. :) - (addison)
                 I disagree. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Re: I disagree. - (addison) - (14)
                         The infrastructure would still be there . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             That's a "presume" not a "simply". - (addison) - (3)
                                 What's Microsoft's ratio of "plants, trucks, etc"... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Erm. I think you got mixed up. - (addison)
                                 Counterexample. - (a6l6e6x)
                         SOAP - (Decco Dave) - (8)
                             Needs more washing - (addison) - (3)
                                 Re: Needs more washing - (Decco Dave) - (2)
                                     Needs a LOT more washing. - (addison) - (1)
                                         Interoperation? - (Decco Dave)
                             Re: SOAP - MS 'invented' SOAP ? - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                 Pleasing MS - (Decco Dave)
                             Microsoft did not invent SOAP. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Dave Winer. - (static)
                 Antitrust law IS a 'market correction' -NT - (imric) - (76)
                     No, its an artificial outside influence, like ceiling/floors -NT - (addison) - (43)
                         Wrong. - (imric) - (42)
                             If you insist on perverting the language, fine. - (addison) - (41)
                                 noting previous antitrust vs. Microsoft - (wharris2) - (1)
                                     Absolute faith in a simplistic concept, 'free market' - (Ashton)
                                 So hostile... - (imric) - (38)
                                     Because its a "concept" that disallows agreement. - (addison) - (37)
                                         Now we know - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                             Re: Now we know - (addison) - (3)
                                                 Just going by history - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                     I suggest you repeat History, you've forgotten it. - (addison) - (1)
                                                         Sorry dude, you just rub me the wrong way - (Silverlock)
                                         Sure. Whatever. - (imric) - (3)
                                             Re: Sure. Whatever. - (addison) - (2)
                                                 ? - (imric) - (1)
                                                     You've gotten confused. - (addison)
                                         Shoplifting is a market force . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                             WOT - (jbrabeck)
                                             Not really. - (addison)
                                         Huh??? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                             Context, CRC, context. - (addison) - (3)
                                                 What, you think BeeP is the only economist in here??? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                     No idea how many there are in here. - (addison)
                                                     Econometrics...cool - (bepatient)
                                         Good point... - (hnick) - (17)
                                             Two approaches to "the market" - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                                                 Re: Two approaches to "the market" - (addison) - (11)
                                                     BTW: - (addison) - (10)
                                                         Which is why you adhere . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                                             Which is why I asked... - (addison) - (8)
                                                                 How "Super Buys" work . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                                     Hey! I think I see a 'graph' in there________:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                         Adventures in marketing #48734655j - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                     Or, for the 'engineering model' - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                         No problem - it's "Faith Based" -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                     Missed item - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                         dollar stores also - (boxley)
                                                                         No, I got that . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Boys boys boys.... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                     Now don't spoil it, BP - (Ashton)
                                                     How much is this a semantic argument? - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Definition... - (bepatient)
                                         hate to let a perfectly degenerating thread go to waste. - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Ah.. but the *Biggest* 'marketing force' has to be - (Ashton)
                     I think there is a definition issue here - (ben_tilly) - (31)
                         Exactly. Thanks. - (addison) - (30)
                             Fine! - (imric) - (7)
                                 Market theory assumes idealized conditions. - (drewk) - (2)
                                     Oh, shut the (*#@$ up. - (addison) - (1)
                                         *chuckle* -NT - (imric)
                                 Re: Fine! - (addison) - (3)
                                     Thanks for an illuminating thread, all. - (Ashton)
                                     Aieee! - (imric)
                                     In support of your position - (boxley)
                             Where do you get this stuff from??? - (CRConrad) - (21)
                                 Many years of econ classes. - (addison) - (17)
                                     How many? And of *what* -- Econ 101, over and over again...? - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         3. - (addison)
                                         Apologies to Mr. Smith, for having blamed him for - (Ashton)
                                         Natural monopoly - (bepatient) - (3)
                                             yeah right Auburn :-) - (boxley)
                                             yeah right Auburn :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Just had to give the credit.... - (bepatient)
                                     Not just time but method - (mhuber) - (9)
                                         Yep...sometimes what is substituted... - (bepatient) - (8)
                                             How so? - (Silverlock) - (7)
                                                 Issues... - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                     Good! the nitty-gritty.. finally. - (Ashton)
                                                     I figured Billy needs a personal punishment. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                         Well... - (bepatient)
                                                         Then why didn't you describe one? :-) - (static) - (1)
                                                             Nope. Then he'd go into politics directly, 'stead of buying' -NT - (Ashton)
                                                     Re: Issues... - (addison)
                                 Oh it will... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Well... we are still waiting on that last supposition - (Ashton)
                                 AT&T - (wharris2)

Who left that on the floor?
98 ms