IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fill in the blank
Jehova, Yahweh, Tetragrammaton. Take your pick. "God" as defined in the dictionary refers to the supernational being that is the object of worship of any of a number of monotheistic religions.

You're wrong.
"If you run Windows and read Email, You Have the Klez!"
-Andrew Grygus
New Cool. I'll use "Tetragrammaton".
Oooooh. It doesn't seem to be in the New Testament of the King James Bible.

Wanna know how many times "God" appears though?

Unless you're claiming that the name of the god of the Christians is not recorded in the holy book of the Christians.

And "Yahweh" seems to be found a lot more in Jewish religion than Christianity.

Well, I could go on, but why bother?

Yes, you are correct in the dictionary definition of "god" (note the capitalization.

"god" is, accourding to the dictionary, a noun.

"cat" is a noun. My cat likes tuna. Note that "cat" is not capitalized in that sentence.

Every noun can further be classified as common or proper. A proper noun has two distinctive features: 1) it will name a specific (usually a one-of-a-kind) item, and 2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

Note the specification of the capital letter.

"One nation, under God"

My cat likes tuna.

Your dictionary definition for "god" is correct for the noun "god".

You did not define the proper noun "God".

Again, note capitalization.
New ROFL - I suppose "Him" is His name then , too?
And - BTW, Muslims "Him", "His", etc. as well. Just to round out your education.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
Expand Edited by imric June 28, 2002, 05:00:29 PM EDT
New Buy yourself a dictionary.
You left off "Creator".

You have a flaw in your logic.

Who does "Him" refer to?

Who does "His" refer to?

Him seems to be, accourding to the dictionary, a pronoun.

Accourding to the dictionary, "god" is a noun.

While "God" is a proper noun.

Are you proposing a class of "proper pronouns"?

Or do you capitalize "Him" when refering to Vishna?
New The picking of (imaginary) nits
You focus on the capitalization. The dictionary I refernced did indeed distinguish between the caps and non-caps versions. The definition I praphrased was for the cpaitalized one.

You are still wrong.

And in case you hadn't noticed, the Christian bible includes a section called "The Old Testament" In that section is a story about someone named Moses. You could look it up if you feel inclined, but the point here is that Moses asks 'God' what his 'name' is.

Here is a [link|http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm|link] that may clarify matters.
-Andrew Grygus
New Awww, so it is dueling dictionaries then?
The dictionary I refernced did indeed distinguish between the caps and non-caps versions.
So, why don't you post the non-caps definition?

Hmmmmmm?

Do that and you'll see my point about establishing a religion.

Oh, and your link was to "Judaism 101: The Name of God"

Judaism.

Jew.

You know, somehow I just don't think Ike was thinking "Jew" when he endorsed that.
New The weakest link
You point out the 'Jewishness' of my link, Ummm, wasn't Christ a Jew? Isn't the Old Testament the book of the Jews? Isn't it included in christian bibles? Not sure I see any point being made here.

Forgetting your trip away from logic-land, let's continue-

A few links for you
[link|http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/section/god_conceptionsofgod.asp|Generic] definition of 'God'

Extract
The general conception of God may be said to be that of an infinite being (often a personality but not necessarily anthropomorphic) who is supremely good, who created the world, who knows all and can do all, who is transcendent over and immanent in the world, and who loves humanity. By the majority of Christians God is believed to have lived on earth in the flesh as Jesus (see Trinity ). In the Hebrew Bible the concept of God is not a unified one. The attitude of believers to this apparent inconsistency has generally been that God, unchanging, revealed Himself more and more to Israel.

A link that focuses on the "name" aspect. [link|http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/section/god_namesforgod.asp|URL]
Extract-
It is generally not possible to tell from English translations of the Bible what was the exact form of the name of God in the original. In Islam, the name of God is Allah .

Credit to you, some do consider 'God' as the name of god.
Seems to be that the only ones who do this, though, are [link|http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06608x.htm|Catholics]. Not Catholic are you? If so, the argument is over and you win by divine right.
Extract=
God can variously be defined as:

* the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;
* the common or generic name of the several supposed beings to whom, in polytheistic religions, Divine attributes are ascribed and Divine worship rendered;
* the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god.

This one pretty much [link|http://www.bartleby.com/65/go/God.html|demolishes] your point.

Extract-
..divinity of the three great monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, as well as many other world religions. See also religion and articles on individual religions.

In case the point escapes, the word god/God describes a giant invisible ghost in the sky. It is not the name of a giant invisible ghost in the sky.

You are still wrong.

Sheesh, arguing over semantics.
I quit, you win.

Happy?
-Andrew Grygus
New That's a complex question.
You point out the 'Jewishness' of my link, Ummm, wasn't Christ a Jew?
He was born of Jewish parents. He was trained as a rabbi. Nationalistically, he was a Jew.

Whether he was a religious Jew depends upon whether you believe he was the Son of the Jewish God or not. The current Jews do not believe that he was. Or, if he was, he has not yet proven that he was.

Anyway.

I said that "One nation, under God" refered to the Christian "God".

You attempted to refute that with a link to a site on Judaism.

Isn't the Old Testament the book of the Jews? Isn't it included in christian bibles? Not sure I see any point being made here.
Yep and yep.

Yet there are VERY large differences between the Jewish faith and the Christian faith. Just because they share SOME teachings does not mean they are the same.

That link is amusing. Allow me to quote:
In the Hebrew Bible the concept of God is not a unified one. The attitude of believers to this apparent inconsistency has generally been that God, unchanging, revealed Himself more and more to Israel.
But, since the Christian religion is the same as Judaism, right up to the point o Jesus' birth, wouldn't that statement apply to Christianity as well? Does the author realize that the Bible is NOT a distinct work? That it is composed of various stories and such? By different authors. In different locations? At different times?

The Christian Bible has been HEAVILY edited. The Apocrypha aren't included in all of them.

Your link to that would seem to contradict your earlier statement about them being similar.

And I do know what Judaism teaches about the name of God. That's why I chose "Tetragrammaton" as the "name" to search on when you posted it. Tetragrammaton isn't a name of God. It's the name of the construct that is the name of God.

It is generally not possible to tell from English translations of the Bible what was the exact form of the name of God in the original.
Sure it is. Here's a link. Look at the glyphs at the top of the page.

[link|http://pages.cthome.net/hirsch/tetra.htm|Here]Note: I never said you'd be able to read it.

Credit to you, some do consider 'God' as the name of god.
Not Muslims and not Jews. Only Christians consider "God" to be God's name.

Seems to be that the only ones who do this, though, are Catholics. Not Catholic are you? If so, the argument is over and you win by divine right.
I'd also include Protestants. Nope. I've been christened, but never took communion.

God can variously be defined as:
And "smith" can be a job or a name or a verb.

Context.

This one pretty much demolishes your point.
Nope. Again, Smith, smith, and smith.

In case the point escapes, the word god/God describes a giant invisible ghost in the sky. It is not the name of a giant invisible ghost in the sky.
And "smith" describes one who works metal. Of course, there weren't any smiths named smith. "god" as a noun describes the invisible ghost. "God" as a proper noun is the name of the invisible ghost.

You are still wrong.
Whatever. I'm still saying that Ike did NOT refer to a generic "god" nor Yahweh nor Allah. Ike refered to the Christian "God".

The "God" in "One nation, under God" is the Christian "God".
-and-
Any organized recitation of the PoA, in a public classroom, during mandatory attendence, is a violation of the separation of Church and State.
New Ike is irrelevent.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New We Pentagrammatonistas are Superior, we see that you see..
And we are very Pleased to see that *Our Deity* is forever enshrined (just below The $ of course!) as Capitalism's holiest concept.

Yes, it is not blasphemous in Our One True Religion to reveal that the Real-Name of Pentagrammaton, Her Blessed Name IS:

God

May Her Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose, my fellow-Murican Pentagrammatonistas!

E Pluribus Unum Pentagrammatoniensis
New Where do I sign up?
-Andrew Grygus
New Many are called__but____few are chastened..
New But he Heptagrammatonistas look down on you! :)
As I recall, they drink 7-Up.
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
     Words fail me. - (Brandioch) - (143)
         They don't fail me - (rsf) - (4)
             I can respect their political ideology. - (Brandioch)
             The Declaration of Independence is UnConsititutional - (ChrisR) - (2)
                 Good thing it was a 'Press Release' - (imric)
                 We covered this elsewhere... - (jb4)
         There is no avoiding the problem. - (static) - (5)
             IIRC - originally the idea was to use 'Providence" - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Something else you reminded me of. - (static) - (2)
                     I guess that, we might find that development to be - (Ashton)
                     Unthinkable ~700 years ago; 1000, quite thinkable, AFAICS. - (CRConrad)
             Re: There is no avoiding the problem. - (wharris2)
         CNN polls oxymoron - (SpiceWare) - (131)
             Re: CNN polls oxymoron - (bepatient) - (130)
                 So you'd support a bill for "One nation, under Allah"? - (Brandioch) - (41)
                     Re: So you'd support a bill for "One nation, under Allah"? - (bepatient) - (40)
                         If it doesn't matter, then why does it matter? - (Brandioch) - (39)
                             ahh... - (bepatient) - (38)
                                 You can't just say it, can you? "God" == "Allah" - (Brandioch) - (37)
                                     That statement is false. - (imric) - (32)
                                         "God" != "god" - (Brandioch) - (31)
                                             Uh. Vishnu is a God. - (imric) - (30)
                                                 "a God". Pay careful attention to the "a" there. - (Brandioch) - (29)
                                                     So what? - (imric) - (28)
                                                         You missed it. - (Brandioch) - (27)
                                                             Have you asked a Muslim this? - (imric) - (26)
                                                                 Allah is to Muslims as __________ is to Christians. - (Brandioch) - (25)
                                                                     Insist that God is a name all you want. - (imric) - (8)
                                                                         To quote you "look in the Bible". - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                                             Nope. Wrong again. - (imric) - (5)
                                                                                 Look up "circular reference". - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                     Confusing levels of reference - (imric) - (3)
                                                                                         Why am I wrong? Because the Bible says so. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                             Oh, I can prove you wrong - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                                 How did it get printed if it's a sin to print it? - (Brandioch)
                                                                         If it begins with a G (not g), then yes, it IS "a name"! - (CRConrad)
                                                                     Fill in the blank - (Silverlock) - (12)
                                                                         Cool. I'll use "Tetragrammaton". - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                             ROFL - I suppose "Him" is His name then , too? - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                 Buy yourself a dictionary. - (Brandioch)
                                                                             The picking of (imaginary) nits - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                                                                 Awww, so it is dueling dictionaries then? - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                                                     The weakest link - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                         That's a complex question. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                             Ike is irrelevent. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                             We Pentagrammatonistas are Superior, we see that you see.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                 Where do I sign up? -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                     Many are called__but____few are chastened.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                 But he Heptagrammatonistas look down on you! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                     As a Jew I can say that in English ... - (bluke) - (2)
                                                                         +5 Informative. :-) -NT - (static)
                                                                         :) Not just Christian. - (Brandioch)
                                     Cool... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                         Is it History or English you failed? - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                             Congress shall... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                 We covered that in a different thread. :) - (Brandioch)
                 The more I think about this, the less I understand - (Silverlock) - (82)
                     It isn't unConstitutional. - (Brandioch) - (81)
                         Uh huh. - (imric) - (80)
                             Not irrelevent. - (Brandioch) - (78)
                                 Wrong. - (imric) - (77)
                                     Well, please violate that rule right now. - (Brandioch) - (76)
                                         Oh, I won't. - (imric) - (65)
                                             I didn't think you would. - (Brandioch) - (64)
                                                 Now you ARE manufacturing data. - (imric) - (10)
                                                     "I can not tell you that name for it would be a Sin!" - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                         I did identify it. - (imric) - (8)
                                                             I asked you to post it. Can you understand "post it"? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                 Ok. Insist on 'winning' this 'debate'. - (imric) - (6)
                                                                     How many chances do you want? - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                         You have read the Bible? - (imric) - (3)
                                                                             So the name of God is "Lord"? - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                 Note. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                     thy servant, thy hand, thy words. NOT A PRONOUN! - (Brandioch)
                                                                     So, what do you *call* Him? What letter is he filed under,.. - (CRConrad)
                                                 I'll answer. - (static) - (52)
                                                     Gracias - a thoughtful clarification. Finally. - (Ashton)
                                                     I'll use this forum as my example. :) - (Brandioch) - (47)
                                                         Maybe the thread was worth the trouble.. - (Ashton) - (46)
                                                             Yup. - (Brandioch) - (45)
                                                                 Nah. - (imric) - (44)
                                                                     However one slices it - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                         Yup. -NT - (imric)
                                                                     So you keep saying. - (Brandioch) - (41)
                                                                         Static posted the Chapter and verse - (bepatient) - (40)
                                                                             You just can't get enough of me. - (Brandioch) - (39)
                                                                                 Its simply because I love you - (bepatient) - (22)
                                                                                     The point escapes you, yet again. - (Brandioch) - (21)
                                                                                         Becuase you failed... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                             "Straw Man" may not be invariably correct an - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                 Disappointed - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                     Blessed art those who expect nothing - (Ashton)
                                                                                             "Research"? You are an idiot. - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                                                 ... - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                     That's post #1. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                                                                         Self-appointed... - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                             >logic< isn't Reason - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Add a debate class to that and I'm all for it. - (Brandioch)
                                                                                                             Let me go over the criteria AGAIN. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                                                                                 Its really no effort... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                     Tell me why and adult would refuse to post it. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                                                                                         Why are you talking about me? - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                             NOW you're avoiding it?!? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Whatever. - (bepatient)
                                                                                             Sorry, BeeP, but you're wrong on both counts. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                                 Rofl - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                                     Quit the stupid laughter; it's still just not all that funny - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                                         Certainly it is.... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                             Sorry about the imbalance, but... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                 There is an error in your argument. - (static) - (15)
                                                                                     You'll note that your reference - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                                         I had to chose something. - (static) - (5)
                                                                                             You don't live over here, do you? :) - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                                 Recent? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                                                     In my day, people respected their elders! - (Brandioch)
                                                                                                 Church vs State. - (static) - (1)
                                                                                                     How about a diode? - (Brandioch)
                                                                                     Could be. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                                         What? Never a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses at your door? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                                             Not in YEARS. - (Brandioch)
                                                                                         I'd like to make some distinctions. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                             Agreed. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                 We'll have to differ. - (static)
                                                                                         Uh... "God is a four-letter word", I think. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                             Mhy speling sux. - (Brandioch)
                                                     Nice of you to agree with Brandishim's original point. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         Hello Christian. - (static) - (1)
                                                             Point? Just the first line (never mind why). Hi yerself! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         God, god, and gods - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                             Allah is to Muslims as _________ is to Christians. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                 Allah is to Arabic Speakers as God is to English speakers - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                                     Not quite. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                         The question is nonsensical because you... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                             No I'm not. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                 I think it's as obvious as, what is *meant* when a - (Ashton)
                                             "it intentionally offends those who fall outside of this - (Ashton)
                                             "One nation under glowing spooky stuff" -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                 Yeah... Big glowing UFOs covered in OOP-turds, you mean? :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Stop calling it a pronoun, please. It isn't. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 I'm actually sympathetic to the guy who brought the case - (drewk) - (4)
                     Yeah.. after all the etymology dancing about - - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Matter of fact - (imric) - (2)
                             Kinda figgered that - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 ObSentient LRPDism: The (LoTR) Ring Rhyme. :-) -NT - (static)

Hard science if ever there was.
598 ms