I punted; watched local contractor guy do the work. He and I had redone roof, strengthening the (not just pretty, this 'trim') whole-roof surround-fascia rather than replacing with thin/original: a palpable, er.. foot-able vast improvement in its solidity: from wriggly to solid. So he did replacement of ancient tub guts with new one, with temp-feedback and such. THEN ... surprise! while the instruction sheet was for the 'purchased item'. Alas.. some mofo had switched boxes; paid for the cheaper one and left me with a bare-bones model. BASTARD! But I, we both weren't paying enough Attention before.. just blindly following instructions.

(Ever have anything like that 'happen to you?')--note how we always phrase personal-dumbth passively.. :-0 Amazingly, the mfg (Price-Pfister), who just-conceivably was the source of a mis-boxed item, was utterly copacetic. (Boxes were not Sealed!) First, they had suggested a possible retro-fix kit, which would take care of the (single-knob) shaft-length problem. After brief discussion they offered also to have the right valve installed! by a local. I (guess I..) was so shocked at this kind offer that, I 'was-put-into' {note passive tense {sigh} *Good-guy mode" and said.. to just send along the kit and I'd see how satisfactory it might be.
* Note: I was envisioning the stuff M. went through, via back-access from within a closet; the possibility of damaging the bitchin new large-tiles--me hates oodles of tiny squares, where grout==major %area, so these are 8x10". Used a Dremel tool: beautiful (hidden!) holes. Moral? none. Inertia won; saw I didn't need the fancy temp-control--thus joined you with the periodic guts-swaps. 'The thought/offer was the deed'. Worth-it! for a shining example of a non-predatory Corp ..because: endorphins. (Let no good deed go unpunished--works often.)

As to the more trivial matters of speciecide (and our differing Hair-on-Fire response-criteria) I no idea how (even millions of) sane people can counter the race-to-seppuku of the many-more sleepwalkers. Whether or not V-capitalism could be nailed as a major catalyst, in maintaing the egregious coalesced-Greed of the tiny-few (world-WIDE, that is)--even though: Both factions! out-number the perps by embarrasingly-decisive orders of magnitude. Fact/events prove that the sane are losing ground (despite their also outnumbering the extreme-crazies.) Even that ratio is slipping in dis-US as amateur-crazies increase in numbers well into the bat-shit degree.. In M.E. though: it seems that the sane are frequently silent, (or reliably cowed--by 'tradition', thus--to survive) rarely act effectively--remain out -shouted/-gunned by the utterly suicidal religio-besotted, (whole ~monolithic tribes of these.) Seems that neither of us sees any algorithm to guide, within such an unbalanced mix of the full-batshits: behaving like the worst psychopaths of that early-'30s training ground ..for expedited disintegration. Nor does anyone else--with any Power--see.

Por moi, I feel no incentive to change my focus from, one-cat-at-at-a time (instant results: that one gets to live!) for.. any serious emotional investment in 'rescuing some remnants of?' what appears to be inexorable species-wide Madness. (After all, if you can't save homo-saps from themselves? Save something!) I deem my core-responsibility to be ~ to maintain sanity and observe what I can--curiosity is more than the name of a rover. I refuse to try to empathize-with legions of crazies, nor be influenced by some species-jingoism? That is a sure-path to the aforementioned (and, I say: to unnecessary-suffering, of the sentimental-ilk; that which makes Prozac mfgs. rich, currently.)

Given the paucity of some new, intelligent idea (only seeming impractical, because never tried) like a worldwide plebiscite?--doable now via transistors--our prospects are grim. The habit of euphemisms forever eviscerates the few simple messages needing Σ-tabulated answers. Questions like,
A) Would you prefer to live a natural life here/on this planet. now and next?
B) Leave early, for the place you expect that your [god, whomever] will provide?
C) Whichever is your choice, in the interim: will you next promise not to try to kill anyone--whichever option they chose?
D) All those who decline C), please form a line to the right.

..and like that. Even I could do a dozen--we could get great/simple prose and.. maybe get-on with addressing a few other changes for planetary maintenance. At very least: we would Know for the very first time: just exactly what %pop ARE bat-shit crazy. So next planning would also be a First: a next plan based on actual Fact about the species and its chances. Without this quality of information and via what-we-always-do:
Ultimately we're back-to: Kill him before he kills you. Really, all that's left is this, with euphemisms prohibited.

;^>