IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If we suppose that Putin's take on our corrupt authoritarian
oligarchy is similar to yours (and mine), then probably he has little interest in the diplomacy dance, at all.
Haven't much idea how many Canadians have pierced the bespattered-veil/shroud? of our self-congratulatory Exceptionalism--do Canadians watch as much crap-TV as Muricans?

Next moves?

Can.. our plutocrats, via their slogans and $Ts overcome Putin's disdain to sign our dance-card? via similar financial machinations (as created and maintain our 0.001% Overlords,)
Disingenuous jingoism -vs- real politik 2014. May the dis-USA Military 2015 be comprised of 90% scions of the Ruling Class: What a Glorious New War! eh?

It would be nice to find someone to root-for, trapped as I am, within the belly of one of the beastliest-ever, (scanning all previous dysfunctional empires--just to check.)
Guatemala, perhaps? Their Prez appears to be a mensch; lives at home, even. Maybe doesn't possess the requisite two swords to rattle.
(Probably with feet-of-clay too; it's all the rage now.)

Russkies and their cohorts in the diaspora Will march in solidarity.. Muricans? Hah! what's to fight/die-for Here, which engenders allegiance, such as we have Become.

Resignedly... but Cheerfully.

Ed: punct.
Expand Edited by Ashton March 21, 2014, 05:54:18 AM EDT
New The likelihood of the Maritimes joining the US in the event
of Qc separation is very low. For one thing, there's no guarantee that Quebec would be able to hold on to its Grand Nord; the vast majority of the people that live there are Cree, and they've already stated they would not be interested in remaining within an independent Quebec, many times over many years.

As for the Maritime provinces... I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be willing to consider joining the US. For one thing, periphery states don't do so well in the US federation. I could see them deciding to go on alone, but join the US? Not very likely. The likeliest outcome would be continuing to send MPs to the House, with the Grand Nord and Labrador forming the physical connection. If the Quebecois didn't like it, well, it wouldn't be difficult for the Cree to turn off their electricity. It wouldn't take long after that.

Mind you, my take is that the likelihood of any of that coming to pass is slim at best. Marois is spinning cotton candy dreams and I'm pretty sure most of the people there know that. What she's really doing is trying the Republican approach of finding an issue to drive a particular segment of the citizenry to the polls, in the hopes of (in this case) picking up some rural ridings so she can get her majority. My feeling is that she's doing a great job of destroying the separatist movement by splitting them down the fault line of the hard nationalists and the folks that actually care about civil liberties.
New Maritimes? not likely. I could see Alberta maybe
the maritimes would more likely want to be commonwealth and return to the crown if it would have them
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Right now Alberta is in a class of its own`
I have family out there. They're quite frankly pissed at how things are going. It's not anyone's fault other than their province's, though; the person mostly responsible is an Albertan... and relevantly similarly to how W was a Texan.

First as tragedy, second as farce.
New Very interesting. Thanks.
New Robertson Davies on Canada
The late, great Canadian magical realist had this to say about his country just about thirty-seven years ago:
Perhaps we have been a little late in coming to self-recognition. Sometimes when I think of the great world family of English-speaking peoples, I think of Canada as the Daughter Who Stayed at Home. I mean that in 1776 Columbia, a self-willed girl with a strong sense of her own independence, left her mother’s house, after some high-pitched family rows, and set up a household of her own. At that time Canada elected to stay with Mother. It was not a simple decision, for Columbia offered us all the inducements that naughty girls have at their command; we have not forgotten the bags of gold (we suspect they were of French origin) with which some of your very persuasive citizens—including that extremely persuasive, somewhat ambiguous character Benjamin Franklin—visited us, hoping that we might be bought. But, to continue this simplified version of history, we said: “No, Mother needs us, and we shall always be true to Mother; so long as she needs a faithful daughter, we shall never desert her.” So what happened? Just what everybody with a knowledge of family behaviour might expect to happen: Columbia, the naughty daughter, prospered mightily and Mother (who always had a sharp eye for success) became very fond of her. And the Good Daughter Who Stayed at Home became, in the course of time, rather a bore. Many years have passed since that decision and that outcome: Mother has been having a rough time, and has taken up with all sorts of rowdy Continental companions. And the Good Daughter has begun, somewhat belatedly, to have some very serious thoughts about her future. Where does it lie?
cordially,
New Excellent. Thanks.
New {{Chortle, long guffaw..}}
     Who do these Russians in Crimea think they are? - (mmoffitt) - (50)
         Serious question:How was the Black Sea Fleet ever threatened -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
             It wasn't. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                 <sigh> - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     You mean she isn't one? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Back at you. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Read my post, and the linkies, again please. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Wikipedia? That's your sole source? </me falls over> - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Wikipedia has cites. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Counterpoint. - (Another Scott)
                 You're buying into Yanukovych spin. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     One thing I do know. - (mmoffitt)
         BS! They reneged on Ukraine's nuclear arms agreement. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             I understand that. - (mmoffitt)
             Plan B: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Putin seems to have realized that. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Money talks, Russkies walk - (pwhysall)
         Boundaries rejiggered - (rcareaga) - (15)
             Putin's take - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 I knew a 'relative' of the co-author - (Ashton)
             my take - (boxley) - (12)
                 The Red Army - (rcareaga)
                 "owns the euro fuel supply" - (pwhysall)
                 Agreed that one has to worry about uncontrolled escalation. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     Re: escalation and Sochi. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         One can always make arguments to justify one's actions. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             I'm not saying the Russians are heroes. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 Agreement. But that's not the topic, is it? :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Fine. We're picking nits now are we? :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         That's what we do, especially in this forum! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Ukraine would resist all right - (boxley)
                     all sorts of sound reasons for behaving rationally - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         On that note, let us Here embark upon a similar - (Ashton)
         Putin the revanchist - (rcareaga) - (17)
             Even accepting all of that... - (Another Scott) - (16)
                 delving into a little history - (boxley) - (2)
                     Jeez, Box! - (Ashton) - (1)
                         I keep telling y'all... - (folkert)
                 Interesting times.. - (Ashton)
                 Imagine Canada - (rcareaga) - (11)
                     One could imagine that. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                         my scenario was deliberately lurid - (rcareaga) - (9)
                             On Canada... - (Another Scott)
                             If we suppose that Putin's take on our corrupt authoritarian - (Ashton) - (7)
                                 The likelihood of the Maritimes joining the US in the event - (jake123) - (6)
                                     Maritimes? not likely. I could see Alberta maybe - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Right now Alberta is in a class of its own` - (jake123) - (1)
                                             Very interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Robertson Davies on Canada - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                         Excellent. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         {{Chortle, long guffaw..}} -NT - (Ashton)

Unfortunately, the hard part is moderation...
77 ms