IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm not saying it's theologically sound...

But the general justification is somewhat like leasing a car. You sign up, you get your car, you make your payments for X months at Y dollars/month. Then when the lease is up you sign a new lease and get a new car. And, of course, the new lease may well have different terms.

\r\n\r\n

The Biblical version involves a covenant with God in which He gives His followers some commandments which, if followed, lead to $REWARD. Every couple thousand years they get a new one, delivered by a fresh prophet/messiah/what have you.

\r\n\r\n

Hence, the argument most folks will make is that Jesus brought along a shiny new covenant and everybody who became a Christian got to trade up to it, in the process getting rid of that old Mosaic clunker they'd been driving around in (which, in the theologic vocabulary, Jesus fulfilled through his sacrifice on the cross).

\r\n\r\n

Again, not saying that it hold water, just that this is the general idea behind having ham sandwiches and shrimp cocktails while still enjoying some good old-fashioned fag-hatin'; the dietary restrictions went out with the old covenant, but "kill a queer for Christ" stuck around because Jesus -- through his mouthpiece Paul -- told everybody that two guys getting it on with each other was still an abomination.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New That brings up a point.
The modern Christian church is largely a product of taking Paul's side when he and Peter clashed about how much of the Jewish Law applied to these new-fangled 'Christians'. Paul's general approach was that the minutae of practising it largely did not apply. If you ever encounter any, Jews that call themselves Messianic Jews are based on Peter's side. They follow the Judaistic law, but they also recognise Jesus as the Messiah, so they're Christians, too.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Yes, Christianity as normally formulated . . .
. . is not so much an offshoot of Judaism as it is a sub-cult of the Pagans (var. cult of the dying god). It's a pastiche of what was going on at the time: the cult of Isis and Osiris, the Krishna cult, possibly Buddhism and most particularly Mithraism (the mystery religion of the Roman Legions). Much of the Judaism (adoption of the Old Testament, etc.) is sort of added on later to support the authority of the church.

There is no reason whatever for a Christian to follow Jewish dietary law. In any case, much of that appears to have been concocted to make Jews "different" to keep them from fading into the populations of city folks.

The error of Christianity is not its content but to proclaim itself the whole story and deny all else when it is actually just a sub-cult.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     if we are going to get all technical about it - (boxley) - (26)
         Just another reason I'll burn in hell! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Another obsolete law? - (warmachine) - (24)
             think about it, from a public health issue - (boxley) - (16)
                 Still obsolete - (warmachine) - (15)
                     Oh I don't know if it's that harsh - (jake123)
                     apparently you havnt kept up with the news reports - (boxley) - (13)
                         So, Deuteronomy 14:10 has been officially changed? - (warmachine) - (12)
                             so, are you a practicing Jew? - (boxley) - (11)
                                 Interesting - (warmachine) - (10)
                                     smoking is not permitted in public in many states - (boxley) - (6)
                                         Not helpful - (warmachine) - (5)
                                             again point=missed - (boxley) - (4)
                                                 What about other weird stuff? - (warmachine) - (2)
                                                     Without the link to the OT - (Seamus)
                                                     since slavery was widely practiced until fairly recently - (boxley)
                                                 A demoted Old Testament? (new thread) - (warmachine)
                                     I'm not saying it's theologically sound... - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                         That brings up a point. - (static) - (1)
                                             Yes, Christianity as normally formulated . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             How can you "fix" the Unaltered Word Of Gawd... - (jb4) - (6)
                 why not? you all have been affeared of 666 for centuries - (boxley) - (3)
                     I always thought it was simply a badly drawn 555... -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                         Exactly: how we got 555-1212; what they meant was -NT - (Ashton)
                     616 not 666 - (Seamus)
                 Delegation - (warmachine) - (1)
                     OmiGawd.. what. if. - (Ashton)

Pre-Pass Follow in-cab signals.
103 ms