1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New think about it, from a public health issue
G_D does health care !
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Still obsolete
Not eating shellfish may have been a good idea but that was then. Now, food hygeine has improved and the commandment just attracts ridicule. Wise then, foolish now. Slap on a footnote stating that these passages were officially retired in 1853 or whenever and tell the detractors to get with the 20th century already.

I think something's been lost in translation. 'Abomination' is a bit harsh for an unacceptable risk of food poisoning.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Oh I don't know if it's that harsh
after all, the likely results of even mild shellfish poisoning over in the biffie could easily be considered an abomination.
New apparently you havnt kept up with the news reports
that farm raised shellfished are raised in human sewage. Why I only buy Gulf Pinks guarrantied to be raised on 9th ward victims.
buy merkin
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New So, Deuteronomy 14:10 has been officially changed?
to
And whatsoever hath not fins and scales and has been grown in sewage ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you. If it's been grown in clean water, that's fine.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
New so, are you a practicing Jew?
if so it applies unchanged as part of the real estate deal. If not it doesnt apply to you. Oh, you want to be a follower of Christ? Get the tip cut and start davening. Oh wait, yer a follower of Paul. Carry on. It doesnt apply.
thanx,
bill

New Interesting
I learn something new everyday. It's seems I've been condemning my fellow man for inconsistency when he's been consistent with his holy book all along. So, what is the theologically correct reason why some Christians can eat shrimp but disapprove of 'fags', to use the vernacular?
Matthew Greet

New smoking is not permitted in public in many states
for the other you have to ask a follower of the pauline church
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Christianity|http://en.wikipedia....line_Christianity]
thanx,
bill

New Not helpful
That article explains how the Old Testament lost influence but not how it's theologically correct to ignore specific sections. Yes, I know a religion is far more than its holy book and only a nut would think ancient, religious commandments are unquestionable. Nonetheless, back to my original question, wits, like the author of the website, who point out absurdities and claim Christians are hypocrits for not believing or practising the Unquestionable Word of God must be tiresome.

Worse, everytime the religious nuts spout some bigotry, these absurd parodies pop up and smear the true Christians as well. So, why aren't these ancient absurdities officially marked as obsolete just to shut up the annoying detractors? They're already obsolete, why not finish the job?
Matthew Greet

New again point=missed
If you are a practicing Jew you will not eat shrimp. Its part of a real estate deal called the covenant. It doesnt apply to those folks who dont want to be jews.
The website I pointed you to was to show that the original christian church required you to be a Jew. If you converted, you topped off yer schmeckle ate kosher and followed all the laws like the rest of the jews. Paul and his crew did as you suggested and removed those requirements from christianity.

Paul also hated women so there was a recision of the sexual laws as well. From sleep with your wife of the opposite sex, to sex is forbidden except to procreate. Now with that sweeping decision you have created a crew of horney pissed off populace who wrecked havoc for many centuries. Now if you want to change that. Put on a clerical collar. Declare yourself a practicing christian and find some followers like Calvin did.
thanx,
bill

New What about other weird stuff?
Is all the other weirdness in the Old Testament, such as [link|http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2021:20-21;&version=31;|Exodus 21:20-21], discarded as well? That would be a reasonable, theological answer but, if so, it begs the question why Christians still keep it in their holy book. It's just weird shit that's of no use and attracts incorrect criticisms like that website. Surely, at least the covenant can be dumped into an historical archive? I'm just wondering why the obvious isn't done.
Matthew Greet

New Without the link to the OT
the early Christian church could be viewed as just another regional sect. The OT is kept as part of the canonical text to show that Jesus is the fulfillment of OT prophecies, but view that the day to day requirements of being a Jew were considered null and void because of the crucifixion and resurrection became the dominant view of the early church. Sort of a PR move to increase the size of the following, because at the time there were more people in that area of the Roman Empire who were associated with the Jews and tried to follow their laws than who wanted to fully convert.

There is a lot of dispute about Paul and his influence on the early church, but I don't get the impression he hated women. From what I read he truly believed the Jesus was coming back, so marriage was irrelevant but not bad. It was later church leaders who misread a lot of his writings and promoted the view of women that can be viewed as misogynistic. Paul seems to be a more complex figure than he is usually portrayed as.

But, back to your point, from an outsiders perspective, it certainly seems that different variants of the the Christian church pick and choose which parts of the OT to apply and which to update or ignore. This situation doesn't seem like it is going to change anytime soon.
Seamus
New since slavery was widely practiced until fairly recently
in most countries, rules about the treatment of them makes sense. I mean your country has similar laws about mistreating animals dont you? In some parts of the muslim world and in wasp NY households, slavery is still practiced, I believe the muslim rules are also taken from that era so it still has relevance.
thanx,
bill

New A demoted Old Testament? (new thread)
Created as new thread #287089 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=287089|A demoted Old Testament?]
Matthew Greet

New I'm not saying it's theologically sound...

But the general justification is somewhat like leasing a car. You sign up, you get your car, you make your payments for X months at Y dollars/month. Then when the lease is up you sign a new lease and get a new car. And, of course, the new lease may well have different terms.

\r\n\r\n

The Biblical version involves a covenant with God in which He gives His followers some commandments which, if followed, lead to $REWARD. Every couple thousand years they get a new one, delivered by a fresh prophet/messiah/what have you.

\r\n\r\n

Hence, the argument most folks will make is that Jesus brought along a shiny new covenant and everybody who became a Christian got to trade up to it, in the process getting rid of that old Mosaic clunker they'd been driving around in (which, in the theologic vocabulary, Jesus fulfilled through his sacrifice on the cross).

\r\n\r\n

Again, not saying that it hold water, just that this is the general idea behind having ham sandwiches and shrimp cocktails while still enjoying some good old-fashioned fag-hatin'; the dietary restrictions went out with the old covenant, but "kill a queer for Christ" stuck around because Jesus -- through his mouthpiece Paul -- told everybody that two guys getting it on with each other was still an abomination.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New That brings up a point.
The modern Christian church is largely a product of taking Paul's side when he and Peter clashed about how much of the Jewish Law applied to these new-fangled 'Christians'. Paul's general approach was that the minutae of practising it largely did not apply. If you ever encounter any, Jews that call themselves Messianic Jews are based on Peter's side. They follow the Judaistic law, but they also recognise Jesus as the Messiah, so they're Christians, too.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Yes, Christianity as normally formulated . . .
. . is not so much an offshoot of Judaism as it is a sub-cult of the Pagans (var. cult of the dying god). It's a pastiche of what was going on at the time: the cult of Isis and Osiris, the Krishna cult, possibly Buddhism and most particularly Mithraism (the mystery religion of the Roman Legions). Much of the Judaism (adoption of the Old Testament, etc.) is sort of added on later to support the authority of the church.

There is no reason whatever for a Christian to follow Jewish dietary law. In any case, much of that appears to have been concocted to make Jews "different" to keep them from fading into the populations of city folks.

The error of Christianity is not its content but to proclaim itself the whole story and deny all else when it is actually just a sub-cult.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     if we are going to get all technical about it - (boxley) - (26)
         Just another reason I'll burn in hell! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Another obsolete law? - (warmachine) - (24)
             think about it, from a public health issue - (boxley) - (16)
                 Still obsolete - (warmachine) - (15)
                     Oh I don't know if it's that harsh - (jake123)
                     apparently you havnt kept up with the news reports - (boxley) - (13)
                         So, Deuteronomy 14:10 has been officially changed? - (warmachine) - (12)
                             so, are you a practicing Jew? - (boxley) - (11)
                                 Interesting - (warmachine) - (10)
                                     smoking is not permitted in public in many states - (boxley) - (6)
                                         Not helpful - (warmachine) - (5)
                                             again point=missed - (boxley) - (4)
                                                 What about other weird stuff? - (warmachine) - (2)
                                                     Without the link to the OT - (Seamus)
                                                     since slavery was widely practiced until fairly recently - (boxley)
                                                 A demoted Old Testament? (new thread) - (warmachine)
                                     I'm not saying it's theologically sound... - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                         That brings up a point. - (static) - (1)
                                             Yes, Christianity as normally formulated . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             How can you "fix" the Unaltered Word Of Gawd... - (jb4) - (6)
                 why not? you all have been affeared of 666 for centuries - (boxley) - (3)
                     I always thought it was simply a badly drawn 555... -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                         Exactly: how we got 555-1212; what they meant was -NT - (Ashton)
                     616 not 666 - (Seamus)
                 Delegation - (warmachine) - (1)
                     OmiGawd.. what. if. - (Ashton)

Sanctioned by GRR.
85 ms