IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks. I wonder about the editing though.
The Chicks can't hide their disgust at the lack of support they received from other country performers. "A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do," says Robison.

"A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

"The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism," Maines resumes, through gritted teeth. "Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country ... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

There can be no rational explanation of how Maines's remark came to drive a red-hot poker into America's divided soul, but it's only now that some of the poison has begun to dissipate.

Was she talking about trumped-up patriotism in the country videos by other performers? What's with the ellipsis? What did they leave out?

I'd like to see the whole interview transcript before coming to the conclusion that she said something objectionable. I don't see it myself. As Ashton reminded us, [link|http://www.samueljohnson.com/refuge.html|patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel].

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seems to me that she used the wrong word.
What she appears to be lambasting is [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoism|jingoism], not [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotism|patriotism]. In my view, she, and anybody else that states that the Emperor has no clothes is no more, nor no less patriotic than Der Berk himself (and is likely more so, in the truest sense of the word).

It's just unfortunate that her vocabulary is a bit unpolished.
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New I think you nailed it.
-----------------------------------------
Impeach Bush. Impeach Cheney. Do it now.
     Does she have >any< clue? - (bepatient) - (44)
         Not running for office is she? - (Silverlock) - (29)
             No, she's destroying their careers. - (bepatient) - (28)
                 Interesting position - (drewk) - (27)
                     Well, it could be taken that way. - (bepatient) - (4)
                         Why wonder? - (drewk) - (1)
                             The first was a response to - (bepatient)
                         I've heard interviews - (broomberg)
                         They're changing their audience anyway - (admin)
                     You can state your opinion without insulting your fans - (tonytib) - (21)
                         You think the interview was insulting? - (drewk) - (20)
                             Yes - (tonytib) - (19)
                                 That's not insulting - (drewk) - (18)
                                     Mr K, c'mon now. The statement goes far beyond being "anti-" - (bepatient) - (17)
                                         Context is important. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             Wasn't in der spiegel - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                 Thanks. I wonder about the editing though. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Seems to me that she used the wrong word. - (jb4) - (1)
                                                         I think you nailed it. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                         No, it is not anti-everything - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             Patrotism, n. Combustible rubbish . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             If that was what she had said - (bepatient)
                                         Waidaminnit, there, BeeP - (jb4) - (1)
                                             Change your filters there bub. - (bepatient)
                                         Couple quotes for you. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             Nice! yours are better organized. 'Tis folly though :-/ - (Ashton)
                                             Both well stated opinions. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                 Pop tastes change. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     While this disk - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         Mob taste can change capriciously in weird times - (Ashton)
         Makes me want to buy her CD... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Already did. -NT - (jb4)
         Has she never read the Dictionary? - (Ashton)
         Who gives a shit, anyway? - (pwhysall) - (10)
             you == me - (admin) - (9)
                 As a guitarist - (jake123) - (8)
                     So can Ritchie Blackmore - (pwhysall) - (7)
                         Maybe - (bionerd)
                         OH, I get it. - (jb4) - (1)
                             . <-- The point You --> .o/ - (pwhysall)
                         Not the point - (jake123) - (3)
                             I can too call it crummy music - (admin) - (2)
                                 Not in common usage up here - (jake123) - (1)
                                     I didn't say they were crummy. I said the music was crummy. -NT - (admin)

Dude?
78 ms