IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ah, so it's YOUR fault the Toyota Camry exists! :-)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Not mine alone
You don't become the most popular car in America because just one person likes you.

It may well be that a lot of people think like I do though.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Camry isn't ugly, just generic
BTW, the 2007 Camry is re-styled and has, they claim, a better interior.
Judge for yourself at [link|http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2006_detroit/toyota/camry/pages/01.htm|http://www.autoweek....amry/pages/01.htm]

More car design talk
[link|http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060130/FREE/60119002/1051|http://www.autoweek....REE/60119002/1051]

If I were in the market for a new car now, I think I'd prefer the Mazda 6 hatchback over the Camry (unlike most Americans, I love hatchbacks, and the Mazda 6 is a pretty nice looking one).

--Tony
New If you get a Mazda6, get the MPS.
It still looks a bit nanna, but 0-100km/h in 6.6 seconds isn't to be sneezed at. The all-wheel drive can't hurt either.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New I'll believe it after I sit in it
You'd be amazed at how many cars do not comfortably sit a 6'3" person behind the steering wheel.

A Camry is comfortable. Amazingly enough, the Corolla is almost comfortable. By contrast sitting in my co-worker's BMW sucks.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New sentra would be okay but my rio would be a chore
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New It's all about the seats.
Fords are usually OK, with the exception of the Fuckus. Most Jap econoboxes are also OK.

Volvos, Saabs and the like can be made accommodating, and I've never had a problem in a German car (I drive a BMW - a compact, no less!).

But I need to tilt the seat. If I can't do that, Mr Comfy Driving Position isn't going to happen. If I can do that, I can get comfy in almost anything.

At six three, you're really only going to struggle in a roadster, such as an MX-5 or an Elise. I'm a bit taller than you, Ben, and I can get settled behind the wheel of just about anything, as long as I can tilt the seat.

Reach/rake adjustment on the wheel is also nice, but hardly essential (unless you have truly freakish legs).

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Just spent today as a passenger in a Lexus
Very nice.
New My Dad bought an LS 430.
He's the one who is very sensitive to noise. He wanted as quiet a car as possible.

The LS 430 is pretty nice, but I have to agree with [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901017.html|Warren] that it's not as far ahead of the competition as one would think. They're resting on their laurels a bit too much, IMO.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who has only ridden in it, in the back, a couple of times.)
New I was in the front seat
I considered offering the other passenger to swap on the ride back - 1.5 hour trip.
But being the selfish bastard that I am, I thought better of it.
On the other hand, the second he got it (he was behind me), I moved my seat up as far as possible to make sure he had enough leg room.
He is both taller and wider than me, by far, and he did not complain about the seating.
Might be the back seat is better for him due to his width.

Note: Part of out trip was to Cabela's:
[link|http://www.cabelas.com/|http://www.cabelas.com/]

This place is AMAZING.

Combination sports outfitter, tourist gift shop, natural history museum, gun museum, aquarium, and restaurant.

One of our print plants is across the street from it.
New Toyota works without tilting the seat
I didn't find an option to tilt the seat on my co-worker's BMW.

Besides you may be taller than me, but not by very much.

Ben
New I tilt the seat in everything I can.
Legs up, back back.
I drive / ride as if I was in a rocket ship.
And I'm only 5'7".

New You're probably a lethal danger to everyone else on the road
Sit up straight like your mother taught you, and you might:

A) Be able to see something beyond the bonnet ("hood") and the A-pillars (i.e, the posts to each side of the windscreen ["windshield"]).

B) Have leverage to use your arms more decisively, thus be able to turn the wheel quicker and farther in an emergeny.

C) Be less likely to fall asleep behind the wheel.

But, hey, if lying down comfortably is more important to you than being a responsible driver, then by all means carry on.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Maybe
The only IWeTheyer that has driven with me was Ben.
Hey Ben, any comments?
New Your driving was surprisingly sane
New You'd have a coronary seeing Chicago drivers.
(Caveat - this was in the early 1980s.)

The "coolest" drivers lean back and to the right (toward the passenger). Their eyes just barely clear the dash. It's important to be nearly invisible.

Or something.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who doesn't drive that way.)
New What was old is new again...
You got it pegged, Scott.
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New those are only the "South Siders"
and I don't mean the "South Side Irish" if you know what I mean...
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New What about Pilsen, Little Village, Logan Square...
...Humbolt Park, and even Uptown?
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New you are short torso, he is longish
meaning centering in the seat is easier for him than yo\ufffd. Your legs appeared (thru beer bottle lenses) to be considerably longer than his.
hth
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Thank you for figuring out why I have more of a problem
I think you're exactly right. An amusing comparison. I'm 6'3". My wife is about 5'6". Our legs are almost exactly the same length!

My problem in a BMW is that my head is crunched against the ceiling. If my torso is longer, that would explain why it is an issue for me but not for him.

The next problem that I get into is that leaning my seat back to get some head room won't work unless I scoot the seat forward so that my arms reach the steering wheel. At this point my knees wind up hitting the steering wheel. (Assuming that I could get enough lean/scoot to make it work at all.)

It is ironic that having proportionately shorter legs make knees hitting the steering wheel a big problem for me, but that's what happens.

I'm fine in Toyotas. (Though I wind up appreciating the fact that in California we scatter lights around so that there is almost always one that's fairly low that I can stare at. The traditional single light in the middle of the intersection is not in view unless I lean forward.) I'm fine in most mid-sized and bigger cars.

I'm emphatically not fine in my co-worker's BMW.

Cheers,
Ben
     NAE report on the impact of offshoring - (Another Scott) - (42)
         The report seems to have nailed one aspect of the problem - (jake123) - (5)
             ~9 years before that breakdown is likely -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 Certainly hope that's a lousy estimate, - (Ashton) - (2)
                     15 years after the peak - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         the information age is over - (boxley)
                 Rereading that book now. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Nasscom - 10% - 20% India Wage Hikes Anually - (gdaustin) - (35)
             well a co-worker from that part of the globe - (boxley)
             I had a friend just experience that - (broomberg)
             Toyota doesn't outsource much - (tonytib) - (32)
                 Their designers are plenty good for me - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                     If I still drove, I would second that. - (Silverlock)
                     Quality vs. Cheap Price - (gdaustin)
                     Ah, so it's YOUR fault the Toyota Camry exists! :-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (20)
                         Not mine alone - (ben_tilly) - (19)
                             Camry isn't ugly, just generic - (tonytib) - (18)
                                 If you get a Mazda6, get the MPS. - (Meerkat)
                                 I'll believe it after I sit in it - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                     sentra would be okay but my rio would be a chore -NT - (boxley)
                                     It's all about the seats. - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                         Just spent today as a passenger in a Lexus - (broomberg) - (2)
                                             My Dad bought an LS 430. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 I was in the front seat - (broomberg)
                                         Toyota works without tilting the seat - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                             I tilt the seat in everything I can. - (broomberg) - (7)
                                                 You're probably a lethal danger to everyone else on the road - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                     Maybe - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                         Your driving was surprisingly sane -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     You'd have a coronary seeing Chicago drivers. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         What was old is new again... - (jb4)
                                                         those are only the "South Siders" - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                             What about Pilsen, Little Village, Logan Square... - (jb4)
                                             you are short torso, he is longish - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Thank you for figuring out why I have more of a problem - (ben_tilly)
                 Honda Already Has - IMO - (gdaustin) - (7)
                     It's still ugly - (tonytib) - (6)
                         Being a Yank, you are allowed to be wrong on these things. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Right, I'm not an arrogant euro-weenie - (tonytib) - (1)
                                 ICLRPD: Right, I'm not an arrogant euro-weenie (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                             coming from a bloody finn! what cheek! - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Finn my arse. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Is that "misplaced" as in "lost"? - (jb4)

You know the French. The problem with them is that they have no word for entrepreneur.
95 ms