IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sheesh
b_t reproaches:
There are times when I'll agree that lies are appropriate and ethical. But trying to wind up in a position of influence within a charity isn't even close to being one of them
moving me to ask, a bit testily, what part of
Obviously r\ufffdsum\ufffd-padding exists in a moral universe very remote from the last-named instance
didn't you understand?

less cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Oh, I understood it alright
I just don't think that attempting to change the subject followed by a half-hearted attempt at a disclaimer really excuses attempting to obscure the topic under discussion by changing the subject in the first place.

Further, claiming to have advanced degrees that you don't is a very different matter from the normal run-of-the-mill shading of truth that goes on in most resumes.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New am I assumed, then,
to be defending the Beast with the Phony Diplomas? I am not. And for your part, who are you to say whether my disclaimers are wholehearted or half-hearted? --damned cheeky of you, say I. As to "attempting to obscure the topic," you may have found my remarks obscure owing either to limitations of my expression or your comprehension, but be good enough to refrain from imputing motives quite so freely.

less cordially still,
New Speaking of imputing motives...
I referred to my reaction to what you said, and why I responded as I did.

I said nothing about your intentions in posting, and am left wondering why you would think that I had.

(As an aside, it makes little sense for me to comment on your intentions. I do not know them, and I barely know you. Occasionally you may make suggestive indications - for instance your "less cordially" close suggests at the moment you are unlikely to be filled with warmth and good cheer towards me - but even then attempted mind reading is likely to lead me astray.)

Therefore without describing your intentions, allow me to describe your behaviour as I saw it. While admitting that you don't know the facts, you have so far suggested that the liar involved may have not pursued a degree because of some extreme reason (eg she got pregnant at an early age), said directly that were it your judgement call this wouldn't be a big deal, have suggested that we ask ourselves whether it is OK to lie to the Gestapo, have said that a person who is (by your judgement*) extremely moral was willing to lie in court (in what are still unclear circumstances, over an issue that you haven't really described), and have been surprised at how many of us are so old-fashioned that we actually value something so silly as honestly. Oh, and you have indicated that I might have trouble comprehending this sequence of events.

For my part I have pointed out that moral relativism means something different than just being able to invent convenient morals on demand, indicated that I am a moral relativist (an unfortunate consequence of my atheism - lacking any belief in the usual sources of absolute moral certitude I have had to accept that others may have as good a basis for theirs as I have for mine), and indicated that I don't particularly enjoy what looks to me like emotionally charged rhetorical tangents (cf the Godwin reference above) followed by disclaimers.

Whatever the intention may have been, the result came across to me as disingenuous. If you do not intend to come across as disingenuous, then I suggest paying more attention to the emotional overtones of your examples to lessen the changes that you accidentally do. If you did intend to be disingenuous, then shame on you.

In my books, doing things which are likely to rile people followed by a disclaimer is like hitting someone and then apologizing for it. In either case it wasn't a good thing to do, and while it is understandable that it happens from time to time by accident, it is something to try to avoid. When done by someone else to me, it is something that I sometimes will encourage them to avoid in turn.

Does that clarify my position and impressions?

Regards,
Ben

* I have no idea what makes a person moral in your judgement. Is it readiness to confront and undermine official but corrupt authority with civil disobedience? Is it the iron silence of a Sir Thomas Moore who will not lie to save his life? Either may be respected, but knowing which applies is necessary to say whether your judgement of moral correlates with my judgement of personal integrity.
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New (shrug)
We appear to be doomed to speak here at cross-purposes, one or both of us misconstruing the other's remarks to the point where no effective exchange is taking place. Perhaps someone else more simpatico will turn up here to help you develop these themes--clearly I'm not the man to do it.

cordially,
     There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (ben_tilly) - (41)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (rcareaga) - (37)
             You like invoking Godwin, don't you? - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                 Sheesh - (rcareaga) - (4)
                     Oh, I understood it alright - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         am I assumed, then, - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Speaking of imputing motives... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 (shrug) - (rcareaga)
                 Since we're talking Godwin here, - (Arkadiy) - (30)
                     Thank you for the penultimate coffin nail - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Funny you should be talking about this - (drewk) - (11)
                             Too bad he was wrong. - (tseliot) - (10)
                                 No he didnt - (boxley) - (9)
                                     How is e.g. the Lord's Supper about the Law? - (tseliot) - (8)
                                         okay, we can leave Paul out of it - (boxley) - (7)
                                             God didn't destroy the Covenant of Abraham - (orion) - (4)
                                                 the covenant was between G_d and Abraham - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     Jesus included gentiles - (orion)
                                                     Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion) - (1)
                                                         Re: Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion)
                                             So what was the reason for his death? - (tseliot) - (1)
                                                 he had foreknowledge all right - (boxley)
                     Where did I indicate that I think society is right? - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                         I've never said you consider the killer society right - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                             Let me turn that around - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                 Tur(i)n Complete ;-) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     a lot of it is in humanity itself - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Helping the poor - (orion)
                                 Re: Let me turn that around - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                     And we continue to disagree - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         Tiling at giants that look like windmills - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                             Our moralities are different - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Could you explain, - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                     non warfare cannibalism, see hindu sects -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                         Links? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                             links - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 The report is rife - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                     good way to untie the mind from humanity -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Explanation - (ben_tilly)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (Ashton)
         #If defs - (boxley) - (1)
             Asking the wrong question - (ben_tilly)

Languages and dialects with this one. thing. in. common.
132 ms