IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism
ben_tilly posts:
As for moral relativism, you just mangled an issue which I care about quite a bit.
And I flinch, because I was aware when I posted that I was making casual and imprecise use of the term, but was too distracted/lazy to craft the sentence with more care. So instead of taking this to Flame Quarantine ("Subject: Oh yeah? Who gives a shit what you think, et cetera") I hang my head.

However, there's lying and there's lying. As I've indicated back in the jobs forum, the individual with the phony credentials is now intimated to be a rather unpleasant character with many enemies in her field. She was copied in on the original message; I'm guessing that her employer's website got its own version of the J'accuse. This thing will wind to its conclusion without further intervention from me. But I also remember another case many years ago, which I must needs render in the vaugest terms in the retelling, when a friend of mine--call him "A"--gave a deposition under oath that included a statement of facts, one of which he knew to be untrue, but which served to strengthen the position of "B," a coworker, who had been suspended from his normal duties and was facing dismissal by their common employer (not mine, I'm pleased to say). The case looked as though it was about to go to court. At issue was a workplace policy I will not further specify except to note that it is widespread in this sorry land of ours, and widely considered unjust. A and I go way back; he is one of the very best people I know--I will refine that: there are a couple of people whose integrity I hold in equal regard, but none higher--and I would trust him with my life. B I knew just casually, an amusing but irresponsible and somehow untrustworthy character with whom I was vexed, when I later learned (from B himself!) the particulars of the case, for enlisting A in his cause.

To make a long story shorter (and to keep it vague), there turned out to have been some very grave procedural irregularities on the employer's side, of which the employer was already aware (and which probably accounts for B having been reassigned rather than fired outright when he advised them he intended to engage private counsel rather than his own union's [apparently toothless] attorney, and fight like mad). Moreover, a very highly-placed manager himself gave a false deposition, claiming to have seen B at a place and time where B was not. The employer's case collapsed when B's cunning attorney isolated a most embarrassing set of meeting notes from several hundred pages of discovery documents--notes which, as B later described them to me (greatly to the irritation of his lawyer, whom I also knew), would have got the employer laughed out of court, or worse.

Well, friends, if I understood B's smirking account of his ordeal, he had in fact committed the infraction his employer believed he had. The employer, apparently, also lied in an attempt to paper over the procedural irregularities. My friend A lied, not, I believe, because he held B in any particular regard (I have myself never discussed the case with A), but because he felt that the policy over which they proposed to fire B was an unjust one. I would do the same for A, I hope; regarding B...well, as James Carville once said of Hamilton Jordan, I wouldn't piss down his throat if his heart was on fire.

ben_tilly might argue that A had no right to decide on his own that the policy was sufficiently unjust to warrant A's effective perjury--an erosion of the civil compact--and I can only respond that I believe A gave this consideration due weight. Put another way, when the Gestapo asks you if you know where any of those pesky Dutch Jews are hiding, you don't point up to Anne Frank's attic hidey-hole. Instead you lie and say "no" because--well, because it's the Gestapo.

Obviously résumé-padding exists in a moral universe very remote from the last-named instance. I'm not going to be lifting a finger on her behalf unless to excise the offending bits on the pages I control once so instructed. But I think my correspondent, Inspector Javert, would have pointed gleefully up to the attic--and "truth' would have been served.

cordially,

[edit: typo]
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 27, 2003, 03:10:28 PM EDT
New You like invoking Godwin, don't you?
Why bring in the Nazis and situational ethics?

There are times when I'll agree that lies are appropriate and ethical. But trying to wind up in a position of influence within a charity isn't even close to being one of them. If you can't get there honestly, then let someone else do it instead.

And without knowing the case that you provide, I can't possibly tell whether I would consider the lie there to be justifiable either. Personally if I wanted to shade the truth in a situation meeting that description, I would be inclined to tell the truth in a way that was likely to leave a misimpression but without lying.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Sheesh
b_t reproaches:
There are times when I'll agree that lies are appropriate and ethical. But trying to wind up in a position of influence within a charity isn't even close to being one of them
moving me to ask, a bit testily, what part of
Obviously r\ufffdsum\ufffd-padding exists in a moral universe very remote from the last-named instance
didn't you understand?

less cordially,
New Oh, I understood it alright
I just don't think that attempting to change the subject followed by a half-hearted attempt at a disclaimer really excuses attempting to obscure the topic under discussion by changing the subject in the first place.

Further, claiming to have advanced degrees that you don't is a very different matter from the normal run-of-the-mill shading of truth that goes on in most resumes.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New am I assumed, then,
to be defending the Beast with the Phony Diplomas? I am not. And for your part, who are you to say whether my disclaimers are wholehearted or half-hearted? --damned cheeky of you, say I. As to "attempting to obscure the topic," you may have found my remarks obscure owing either to limitations of my expression or your comprehension, but be good enough to refrain from imputing motives quite so freely.

less cordially still,
New Speaking of imputing motives...
I referred to my reaction to what you said, and why I responded as I did.

I said nothing about your intentions in posting, and am left wondering why you would think that I had.

(As an aside, it makes little sense for me to comment on your intentions. I do not know them, and I barely know you. Occasionally you may make suggestive indications - for instance your "less cordially" close suggests at the moment you are unlikely to be filled with warmth and good cheer towards me - but even then attempted mind reading is likely to lead me astray.)

Therefore without describing your intentions, allow me to describe your behaviour as I saw it. While admitting that you don't know the facts, you have so far suggested that the liar involved may have not pursued a degree because of some extreme reason (eg she got pregnant at an early age), said directly that were it your judgement call this wouldn't be a big deal, have suggested that we ask ourselves whether it is OK to lie to the Gestapo, have said that a person who is (by your judgement*) extremely moral was willing to lie in court (in what are still unclear circumstances, over an issue that you haven't really described), and have been surprised at how many of us are so old-fashioned that we actually value something so silly as honestly. Oh, and you have indicated that I might have trouble comprehending this sequence of events.

For my part I have pointed out that moral relativism means something different than just being able to invent convenient morals on demand, indicated that I am a moral relativist (an unfortunate consequence of my atheism - lacking any belief in the usual sources of absolute moral certitude I have had to accept that others may have as good a basis for theirs as I have for mine), and indicated that I don't particularly enjoy what looks to me like emotionally charged rhetorical tangents (cf the Godwin reference above) followed by disclaimers.

Whatever the intention may have been, the result came across to me as disingenuous. If you do not intend to come across as disingenuous, then I suggest paying more attention to the emotional overtones of your examples to lessen the changes that you accidentally do. If you did intend to be disingenuous, then shame on you.

In my books, doing things which are likely to rile people followed by a disclaimer is like hitting someone and then apologizing for it. In either case it wasn't a good thing to do, and while it is understandable that it happens from time to time by accident, it is something to try to avoid. When done by someone else to me, it is something that I sometimes will encourage them to avoid in turn.

Does that clarify my position and impressions?

Regards,
Ben

* I have no idea what makes a person moral in your judgement. Is it readiness to confront and undermine official but corrupt authority with civil disobedience? Is it the iron silence of a Sir Thomas Moore who will not lie to save his life? Either may be respected, but knowing which applies is necessary to say whether your judgement of moral correlates with my judgement of personal integrity.
New (shrug)
We appear to be doomed to speak here at cross-purposes, one or both of us misconstruing the other's remarks to the point where no effective exchange is taking place. Perhaps someone else more simpatico will turn up here to help you develop these themes--clearly I'm not the man to do it.

cordially,
New Since we're talking Godwin here,
what if society says, not "Thou shalt not kill" but, rather, "Leave no gipsy alive"? And you hide your gipsy neighbors, you moral deviant you. You think it's moral for you to save your neighbor. Do you think is it moral to just shrug your shoulders and say that society has its own morality, and its own little quirks? IOW, is it moral to justify actions that you consider amoral?

>>>>>>>>>>>
And while it means that I have to accept that I cannot give a moral lecture to someone with different beliefs than me and expect them to understand it, it doesn't mean that they cannot be held accountable by society to moral standards that they don't accept (eg thou shalt not kill, even if your cult leader told you to). It also means that society needs to create a legal system with both means for enforcing reasonably widely shared moral beliefs, and room to accept fairly large individual deviations.
<<<<<<<<<<<
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Thank you for the penultimate coffin nail
in the box holding: those who make every ""moral"" decision by looking it up in a manual - deciding if.. they really want to be This ""Good""? - and then being very very literal = in the rationalizations.

.. then one begins to invent such words as Objective and Subjective; claim the nicer-sounding one and by that, Language has already lost :(

Ashton
New Funny you should be talking about this
I just saw Dogma over the weekend. Did a [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=104492|quick review] of it. In it, Rufus, the 13th apostle, said the problem with the major religions is they're based on belief. He said The Man (Jesus) didn't teach a belief, he taught an idea. Rufus said you can change an idea, changing a belief is a much trickier thing.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Too bad he was wrong.
Jesus didn't teach an idea. He actively brought about the end of one contract between God and humanity while instituting another, better one. This is the fundamental difference between Christianity and other religions (it's about action, not ideas), which is why btw I have such a hard time with Christian mystics.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New No he didnt
He explained the proper way to observe the law, later Paul created Christianity over the objections of the Diciples.
YMMV :-)
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New How is e.g. the Lord's Supper about the Law?
"This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

Nice idea about Paul, which one can debate separately, but the fact remains Jesus saw himself and his sacrifice as a new covenant. At the least, one must grant (if you accept Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John as authoritative) that Jesus was a religious subversive, since the religious establishment (*not* the state) continually tried to kill him. If there was to be no change in the covenant, what otherwise could have been the reason for his death (which is made clear to be a conscious choice)? Without the institution of the new covenant, his death meant nothing, was nothing other than a nice show.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New okay, we can leave Paul out of it
assuming you are speaking of luke 36 thru 28. Well translations aside, testament, covenant lets look at the scene.
Jesua knows his time is coming in a couple of days. Breaks bread and sez to the boys, eat this in rememberance of me. He takes a glass of wine and sez this is my blood, drink this in rememberance of me as I will not taste wine again until we all meet on the other side in the afterlife and have a few toddies together again.

Somehow if I was to destroy the Covenant of Abraham with the blessing of Hashem I would be rather more specific like we no longer have to obey the mosaic law. He never did that, His entire teaching was based on living the law with your heart, not like a hypocritical asshole which the pharisee SECT was practicing it. This is common practice in Judaism even today, exhortations by those who feel the mainstream has lost the meaning of G_d and man's place in the universe. Some produce good, others I wish them nothing. In Islam today the same thing happens, except you are likely to be killed by those disagreeing with you.

The last supper is among a band of brothers with a leader who knows his time is short, I have attended similar functions where participants know they will not meet again in this life and have drunk many, sometimes too many toasts to those who went before, absent comrades.

After all if we took this as gospel there would only be catholics in the christian world :-)
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New God didn't destroy the Covenant of Abraham
Many people broke the Covenant of Abraham, and Jesus was sent with a New Covenant. One that is better and forgives sins, also one that covers Gentiles as well. I am not saying that it ignores mosaic laws, but Jesus said he came to fullfill those laws, not to break them. Still he forgave the woman who had the affair, and the Mosaic laws said she was to be stoned. So that shows that he changed things a bit, no longer requring stoning for adultry, but rather forgiving the sin and saying "Don't do that again".

The way I see it, both Covenants are valid. Jesus just offered a better way of being forgiven because a vast majority of the people could not follow the Covenant of Abraham, so a new one was made. Jesus never revoked the Covenant of Abraham, as far as I can read in the bible, but he did offer a new one. If not, why is he forgiving adultresses instead of having them stoned?

"If you're going to cheat, cheat fair. If there's anything I hate it's a crooked crook!" -Moe Howard
New the covenant was between G_d and Abraham
concerning his decendants, the Jews and Beduins and their decendants today. The covenant is G_d's to keep, not people for people are useless at such things. If as you say that JC brought a new covenant, it would have only applied to the folks that were the receiptiants of the OLD covenant. No gentiles allowed.

Now in no way am I trying to disabuse christianity as a faith for without faith and belief we are meaningless, just explaining why it doesnt work for me.
thanx,
bill

New Jesus included gentiles
he even healed Romans, one Roman soldier was sick and bedridden and Jesus healed him, another had his ear cut off and Jesus healed him. Jesus spread his word and healing power for everyone, not just the receiptiants of the OLD covenant.

Jesus said that we are all his children.

"If you're going to cheat, cheat fair. If there's anything I hate it's a crooked crook!" -Moe Howard
New Lazarus and the Rich Man
There is a parable in the New Testiment about a man named Lazarus and the Rich Man. The Rich man had everything he needed and Lazarus was poor and begged for scraps. When both died, Lazarus was in Abraham's bossom and the Rich Man was in Hell being tormented.

I always thought it was about the rich going to Hell for abusing the poor, but it has deeper meanings apparently:

[link|http://www.whereisgod.info/English/Lazarus_parable.htm|http://www.whereisgo...zarus_parable.htm]

Lazarus is a Gentile, and the Rich Man is Jewish according to this translation.

So we see that the Jews were "rich" because they had a covenant with God, with promised blessings. Who does Lazarus symbolize in the parable? Lazarus symbolizes the Gentiles, who were excluded from the covenant. The Gentiles were in poverty, relatively speaking, owing to the fact that God's covenant and blessings were not available to them... yet. They were outside the rich man's "gate," so to speak, "desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man\ufffds table." The covenant and its blessings were only available to the "rich man" - the Jews - to whom Jesus addressed the parable.

When Lazarus died in the parable, he next appeared at Abraham's bosom, meaning that he became a very close or special friend of Abraham. To lean on another's chest or bosom was, in their time, indicative of a close friendship. An example of this was the relationship between the apostle John and Jesus: John 13:23 recounts that "Now there was leaning on Jesus\ufffd bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved."

Now, what was the significance of the death of Lazarus, and his appearance as a special friend of Abraham? Lazarus' death signified a change in the Gentiles' status with God: a covenant was made available to them, made possible by the sacrificial death and resurrection to eternal life of Jesus. The terms of the new covenant are summarized in John 3:16:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Why are the Gentiles (those who are true Christians) shown in the parable to be bosom friends of Abraham? Because they have the same belief or faith in God that Abraham had. Through faith the Gentiles can attain the righteousness of Abraham; they spiritually have bosom closeness with Abraham as indicated in the parable. The apostle Paul described Abraham's faith, and showed that Christians are righteous because they have faith like Abraham's:

It gives a twist on things, Jesus was trying to teach something here. Jesus is Jewish himself, yet he talked about his own people falling out of favor with God. But I don't think that the original covenant was revoked, just that a new one was added and things got changed a bit and some roles got reversed.

Just something to think about, I had recently found this out myself while surfing for Lazarus on Google. It just hit this topic we were discussing.

New Re: Lazarus and the Rich Man
I wanted to add that the Rich Man hadn't listened to Moses and the Prophets and apparently hadn't followed Mosaic law because of that. It was a warning from Jesus that God didn't like those who disobeyed him, even if they were covered by the Covenant, and they could have their place replaced by gentiles. It was like Jesus was teaching some sort of Reform, saying to obey God or else. A very powerful message in those times and these times.

New So what was the reason for his death?
If the Last Supper was just a good ol' boys get-together, then what purpose did the crucifixion have? Or do you simply deny he had foreknowledge of his betrayal; i.e. that his death wasn't planned or necessary?

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New he had foreknowledge all right
some have even suggested that he had to force Judas into informing on him. Others have suggested that he leaned on Judas for strength in the coming trial. Considering how many crucifictions were carried out in that era the cause of death is not by itself significant because after all if it happened today would you wear a little electric chair around your neck? Of course not.
His death was planned by many some with knowledge aforethought. Without his death, his message would have been lost in less than a generation instead of being tweaked and woven into the tapestry that is christianity today. I rather suspect he would/is not be thrilled with the state of the message today.
thanx,
bill

New Where did I indicate that I think society is right?
Quite the contrary, I think the society that I live in is wrong more often than not. Certainly it doesn't tend to agree with me nearly as much as I would like.

More to the point, I have the morality that I have because I have it, and because I have found that I don't realistically have much choice in it. Oh, I could be "immoral", but I wouldn't like looking at myself in the mirror, and I know it. I don't maintain my morals because society tells me to. (Though undoubtably society has helped shape my values.) I maintain them because I simply am not wired to be amoral.

And yes, that means that my values and society conflict from time to time. In your extreme gypsy case, I would definitely not be inclined to go along with the majority. Hopefully I would act. (I like to think that I would act...)

But in that hypothetical case, I wouldn't expect to be able to go to my neighbour, shake my finger, and shame them into having my moral beliefs. They don't believe as I do. Pure and simple. And if society doesn't agree with me, I am going to have trouble getting my views across. There is no use in my moping about it, and hoping that the world will magically become different than it is.

My understanding of morality doesn't change this fact. It just equips me to realize sooner that this is a dead end, and that I have to understand my neighbour better and find a better approach if I want to convince him, or possibly that my neighbour just might not be convincable.

Cheers,
Ben
New I've never said you consider the killer society right
Allow me to repeat my question:

>>>>>>>>>>
Do you think is it moral to just shrug your shoulders and say that society has its own morality, and its own little quirks? IOW, is it moral to justify actions that you consider amoral?
<<<<<<<<<<

Is it moral to say that the society is perfectly entitled to kill any way society wants, because it has different rules? We're talking about what your approach makes you say, not what you intend to do. In actions, you must oppose the society, since you consider the things it's doing amoral. In words, you must admit that society has a right to do it. Pretty bad fix, isn't it?

Also, building on your response, you seem to think that you're hard-wired for certian moral principles. Do I understand you correctly?
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

New Let me turn that around
Is it moral to act in a way that you know is ineffective about something that is important when you know that it is ineffective?

You are strongly implying that my recognizing that other people have different moralities than I do is the same as my saying that their moralities are just fine by me, and I am powerless to act. This is both untrue and unfair.

What is true is that I am aware of the possibility that my morality does not match that of the person that I am talking to, or even the majority of the people around me. In that case, appealing to the moral principle which I hold near and dear is not going to do any good. It does no good whether or not I happen to recognize that fact, but it is only when I recognize when that is happening that I can do anything about it.

What can I do about it? All that is certain is that it is pointless to vent my rage and frustration at people who will not agree. I might feel better for showing a little incoherent upset, but that is in. But often if I understand the other person's point of view I can find a way to convince them from what they believe. For instance a fundamentalist Christian may not directly accept that I have a right to not have Christianity shoved down my throat, but I might convince them that freedom of religion is good for religion, and then that freedom of religion needs to apply to me as well.

The recognition that they have different beliefs than I do is critical to my being able to figure out how to convince them. If you watch you will see lots of people who don't ever make that step. As a result they talk past each other because neither sees that a perfectly convincing argument isn't convincing because the other does not accept the premises.

Sometimes I can't convince them of what I want to convince them. In that case perhaps I can change my goal to one that is doable. For instance a good chunk of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights in particular lays out half-way goals, ones that nobody is really happy with, but lots of people of different beliefs can live with. For instance nobody really likes freedom of speech, oh you might like the principle, but it is easy to find applications of it that you don't appreciate. However lots of people can agree to live with freedom of speech, we accept when some use it in ways we hate so that it is there for us when we use it in ways that others don't like.

And no, I don't agree with all of the US Constitution. I accept it in the same way that I accept our legal system, as a flawed attempt to make things work out between people who don't see eye to eye. An attempt which for all its faults is the one that I can most easily get others to accept, and which I am most likely to be able to get enforced if need be.

And sometimes I simply can't find common ground. In that case I am not happy about it. But knowing when energy is wasted frees me to spend energy in more effective ways. Perhaps that means walking away. Perhaps it means attempting to take the situation into my own hands.

And finally to answer your question.

None of this in any way, shape, or form is a statement about what I think is right, fair, or what society is entitled to. It is about how I can use my recognition that people don't believe as I do to free myself to act as effectively as I can.

On morality. My personal belief is that most people are wired with the capacity for morality, and then aquire a sense of morality from some complex combination of genetics and environment. For me personally, where I got my morality from is neither here nor there. I have a sense of right and wrong, and my personal goal of acting in ways that I can feel satisfied with is best achieved by my acting in ways that I feel are right.

Cheers,
Ben
New Tur(i)n Complete ;-)
Few ever say it as eloquently. More to the point - quite few, once having grokked (their personal form of) the fundamental issue: fewer still 'remember' what the implications are, almost any time one encounters another homo-sap. Lastly, those who get this far - still are apt to forget what they Know! in the silliness of Boolean-logic as passes for any honest attempts at metaphysical Reasoning.

As alluded to above in this thread, many Christians have the Belief that -- for the Very Special Situation\ufffd of *Their Particular Avatar* -- no other rules of civilized tolerance need apply (Constitutionally and imperfectly addressed - or other ideas) re "these others". Hence IMhO the dogged persistence of talking-right-by others, while Doing Their Duty\ufffd. Hence the lions and the arena: imagine how the Imperialist Romans took to this kind of
Fuck You; I'm Right / You Are Wrong / MY God Will GET You / nyaa nyaa Nyaa.

IME the largest problem in any actual "religious discussion" - debate being impossible - has much to do with the peculiarly-Christian idea of the Personal God\ufffd. It's such a comforting idea.. but in order to implement this quintessentially (and longingly) man-created myth: one has to impute, to assign "Qualities" to the Absolute!!! The UnKnowable Incarnated! A "Vengeful" or at times "Loving" or at times "needful of Your Adoration" kinda Guy.. From this follows the conceit and the hubris which -

Well, you know..

Ashton

PS - no difference in much anti-Believers doggerel, of course. 'Proof of absence' meets Personal God cha cha cha
New a lot of it is in humanity itself
a religeous person knows you should help the poor, but I am tired and cranky so "get a job!!" becomes what is said instead of here brother, bless. Dificult to remember morals/duties in the daily grind of the existance. Why we have more Bush and less Buppo
thanx,
bill

New Helping the poor
I can understand being tired and cranky, and being so busy working a job that you don't have the time and/or money to help the poor. When I was working, I worked Downtown St. Louis City, we had plenty of poor people on the streets begging for food or money. I gave when I could, and my coworkers made fun of me for it. I suppose they were the ones saying "Get a job" to the poor, while I gave the poor $2 or $5, or sometimes $20 if I could spare it. I could tell the fakes, the fakes don't smell so bad, and wear expensive sneakers and clothes, the real poor have clothes that are falling apart, cheap shoes, and look like they haven't bathed in a while.

Now I don't have a job or the money to give to the poor, but I do drop some change into those charity boxes in stores when I get out. No poor in the subdivision I live in, unless you count me. Somehow they seem to migrate towards the city, not the county.

New Re: Let me turn that around
So, you are telling me that working with people's interests and leaving their moral rules alone is the right way. Perhaps. It's definitely the most practical way. However.

Which is the better result, by your own defenition:

1) to convince a fundamentalist that it's advantageous to leave an atheist alone
or

2) to convince a fundamentalist that it's _wrong_ to offer people a choice between death and conversion

?

My jujement says that #2 is better. It seems to me that morality is like free will: whether there are absolute moral rules or not, one has to act as if his moral system is absolute.

Furthermore, when 2 people act out their "absolute" moral beliefs, there can be 2 possible outcomes: either one destroys another, or they learn to coexist. I'd observe that some moral systems share certain core that makes coexistance possible. That core may be called "absolute morality". It includes, among other things, certain flexibility. "Thou shalt not have things thine way all the time". "Consider other's feelings". Golden rule. And such.

There is another possible approach here. I wonder what you folks would say...
Let's state 3 premises:

Each culture/morality has some set of standards/rules that ensure that the society does not rip itself apart. Things like "golden rule", "thou shalt not steal" and so on. People who live by the rules are called "moral" people. They may not prosper, but they get very particular form of respect from most of society

Moral rules do not apply to every human being. There always is a circle beyond which "people" are no longer people, and, hence, are no longer subjects to morality. In the American South we had blacks, in country club we have some bum off park bench, in a Christian State we have "heretics" and so on.

3. (the hardest to accept) The person whose circle is wider is considered a "better" person by people with more narrow circle. He/she may be called foolish, crazy or dangerous, but never "evil". At least, not sincerely.

That core set of rules that allows society to exist is the absolute morality. Everybody has a circle to which it applies. Even the most fanatic believer has some tolerance. The difference is in the breadth of the circle.

A Shiite mullah prays on a clay pad made with some dust from Mecca, he's not going to kill his paritioner who does not have such pad. Some tolerance is needed even in fundamentalism.

A mafiosi whose morality say that a traitor should not live does not kill his mother, no matter how irritating she may be. Some "shalt not kill" is needed even in murder.

A CEO (hardest to believe) who packeted hundreds of millions from shareholders pays in full for his son's education. Some honesty exists even in theft.

Some say that core morality developed from lots of human interactions. Some say it's God's gift. Just as long as it's there.
--

New And we continue to disagree
On your first question. Of course I find the second result better. But that result often is not achievable, and once I have convinced myself that it is not achievable in a particular case, settling for the result that I can achieve is better than tilting at windmills.

About the rest, your third point about a "core morality" reflects what I have seen many people claim, and what many obviously want to be true. Unfortunately it does not accord with my experience. You want specific counter-examples? I have met and heard plenty of right-wing people (Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson for instance) who dismiss people like Ralph Nader and Noam Chomsky as "ungodly Communists" despite the fact that they have "wider" moralities. If you believe, as the religious right does, that morality is defined by adherence to a specific religious text, then anything that deviates from the true and narrow (for instance acceptance of homosexuals or abortion) can quite easily get you labelled "evil".

Going further, there are no principles that I can think of which is broad enough to deserve the name "absolute morality". Oh, it is a common conceit to think that there must be. But I doubt that there is any characteristic which is so universal that it can be considered absolute. I certainly have never encountered any that stood up to my examination. And I have looked, starting with a bias for believing that there must be one (and that it furthermore should roughly match what I hold near and dear).

Cheers,
Ben
New Tiling at giants that look like windmills
is a superbly moral act, and throughly unpractical. But, I guess, we'll have to keep on disagreeing.

I may question the idea that Falwell and Robertson themselves are guided by their moral principles when they pronounce Nader evil. Not everything a person says is a moral statement.

As to absolute morality - can you imagine a stable society (a stable group of people of any sort) that does not consider some very particular things good when applied to its members? I'd appreciate a counterexample.
--

New Our moralities are different
I see no particular value in banging my head against a brick wall. If you do, then that is your business.

As for Jerry Falwell, etc, I have no idea what their morality is. However I have personally known very sincere people whose moral code was derived directly from their understanding of the Bible. They didn't respect people whose value systems were more generous - they saw said people as tools of Satan.

As for your "stable society" comment, what characteristic did you want to say is necessary? Thou shalt not kill? Look at Polynesian societies which accepted using cannibalism as a means of population control? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Examine hazing rituals. Etc, etc, etc. Our tendancy is to believe that many things must resemble that with which we are familiar. But the world is stranger than we (or at least I) generally imagine.

Cheers,
Ben
New Could you explain,
in your own words, the difference between "moral" and "practical"? I would love to hear it.

Polinesian cannibalism seems to be associated with warfare wherever I can find it on the Internet. And we all know that prisoners of war aren't really people, don't we? Can you point me at non-war-related cannibalism?

Hazing rituals? Again, not everything a person does is moral. It's more a case of "I suffered for somebody else's fun, therefore you shall suffer for my enjoyment". Very human and practical, but I doubt that the prerpetrators pause to think about right and wrong (as opposed to pleasant and "cool"). Additionally, in extreme cases (such as gang or cult initiation rituals), people who undergo it are not quite people yet - they have to earn that privilege.

Can't argue about "Tools of Satan". I guess you have me there. My only answer is that such people are a rarity, and, if you get them together in one place, aren't likely to form a stable society.
--

New non warfare cannibalism, see hindu sects

New Links?
Also, sects fit in the definition of "circles" perfectly.
--

New links
[link|http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAXM6OXFGD.html|http://news.tbo.com/.../MGAXM6OXFGD.html]
another site
[link|http://www.healing-tao.co.uk/ht_taooftantra.htm|http://www.healing-t...t_taooftantra.htm]
For many this is enlightenment enough. Others continue to surrender: possessions, dwelling, family, becoming Saddhu, beyond ritual. Beyond the beyond, the Aghora sect live tantra \ufffdat the Left Hand of God\ufffd (7), frequenting cremation-grounds, eating human flesh and excrement, having sex with the dead, surrendering all attachment to shorten their chosen path by many incarnations.

thanx,
bill

New The report is rife
with references to things like "sin", "forbidden" and "revulsion". They do it specifically because it's wrong.
--

New good way to untie the mind from humanity

New Explanation
My belief is that people internally have systems of morality. This system doesn't always match what they say, or what they do, but when people see themselves acting in ways that don't match their internal morality, they feel emotions like guilt.

To me, therefore, moral behaviour means behaviour which I think is dictated by the internal sense of morality of the person acting. For instance I consider a lot of what Richard Stallman does to be moral behaviour, because it is motivated by his morality (or appears to be - read what he says) even if the issues involved don't match my sense of right and wrong. I don't consider similar choices on the part of Bob Young to be moral behaviour because his self-described morality is quite different. (He had at one point an excellent talk on why it was in Red Hat's marketing self-interest to act in ways that the FSF considered moral.)

By contrast "practical" means just that, courses of actions that might be indicated because they are doable and not necessarily for any other reason.

As for Polynesian cannibalism, I likewise cannot find any links to what I was thinking of online. My memory, however, is of a series of articles that I had to read once for a philosophy course, in it they described a Polynesian cult on a densely populated island which was highly promiscuous, and then killed the resulting infants as a form of birth control. As you might imagine, the appalling image stuck in my mind...

Cheers,
Ben
     There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (ben_tilly) - (41)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (rcareaga) - (37)
             You like invoking Godwin, don't you? - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                 Sheesh - (rcareaga) - (4)
                     Oh, I understood it alright - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         am I assumed, then, - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Speaking of imputing motives... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 (shrug) - (rcareaga)
                 Since we're talking Godwin here, - (Arkadiy) - (30)
                     Thank you for the penultimate coffin nail - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Funny you should be talking about this - (drewk) - (11)
                             Too bad he was wrong. - (tseliot) - (10)
                                 No he didnt - (boxley) - (9)
                                     How is e.g. the Lord's Supper about the Law? - (tseliot) - (8)
                                         okay, we can leave Paul out of it - (boxley) - (7)
                                             God didn't destroy the Covenant of Abraham - (orion) - (4)
                                                 the covenant was between G_d and Abraham - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     Jesus included gentiles - (orion)
                                                     Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion) - (1)
                                                         Re: Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion)
                                             So what was the reason for his death? - (tseliot) - (1)
                                                 he had foreknowledge all right - (boxley)
                     Where did I indicate that I think society is right? - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                         I've never said you consider the killer society right - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                             Let me turn that around - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                 Tur(i)n Complete ;-) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     a lot of it is in humanity itself - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Helping the poor - (orion)
                                 Re: Let me turn that around - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                     And we continue to disagree - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         Tiling at giants that look like windmills - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                             Our moralities are different - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Could you explain, - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                     non warfare cannibalism, see hindu sects -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                         Links? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                             links - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 The report is rife - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                     good way to untie the mind from humanity -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Explanation - (ben_tilly)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (Ashton)
         #If defs - (boxley) - (1)
             Asking the wrong question - (ben_tilly)

No, not really.
160 ms