IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tur(i)n Complete ;-)
Few ever say it as eloquently. More to the point - quite few, once having grokked (their personal form of) the fundamental issue: fewer still 'remember' what the implications are, almost any time one encounters another homo-sap. Lastly, those who get this far - still are apt to forget what they Know! in the silliness of Boolean-logic as passes for any honest attempts at metaphysical Reasoning.

As alluded to above in this thread, many Christians have the Belief that -- for the Very Special Situation\ufffd of *Their Particular Avatar* -- no other rules of civilized tolerance need apply (Constitutionally and imperfectly addressed - or other ideas) re "these others". Hence IMhO the dogged persistence of talking-right-by others, while Doing Their Duty\ufffd. Hence the lions and the arena: imagine how the Imperialist Romans took to this kind of
Fuck You; I'm Right / You Are Wrong / MY God Will GET You / nyaa nyaa Nyaa.

IME the largest problem in any actual "religious discussion" - debate being impossible - has much to do with the peculiarly-Christian idea of the Personal God\ufffd. It's such a comforting idea.. but in order to implement this quintessentially (and longingly) man-created myth: one has to impute, to assign "Qualities" to the Absolute!!! The UnKnowable Incarnated! A "Vengeful" or at times "Loving" or at times "needful of Your Adoration" kinda Guy.. From this follows the conceit and the hubris which -

Well, you know..

Ashton

PS - no difference in much anti-Believers doggerel, of course. 'Proof of absence' meets Personal God cha cha cha
New a lot of it is in humanity itself
a religeous person knows you should help the poor, but I am tired and cranky so "get a job!!" becomes what is said instead of here brother, bless. Dificult to remember morals/duties in the daily grind of the existance. Why we have more Bush and less Buppo
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New Helping the poor
I can understand being tired and cranky, and being so busy working a job that you don't have the time and/or money to help the poor. When I was working, I worked Downtown St. Louis City, we had plenty of poor people on the streets begging for food or money. I gave when I could, and my coworkers made fun of me for it. I suppose they were the ones saying "Get a job" to the poor, while I gave the poor $2 or $5, or sometimes $20 if I could spare it. I could tell the fakes, the fakes don't smell so bad, and wear expensive sneakers and clothes, the real poor have clothes that are falling apart, cheap shoes, and look like they haven't bathed in a while.

Now I don't have a job or the money to give to the poor, but I do drop some change into those charity boxes in stores when I get out. No poor in the subdivision I live in, unless you count me. Somehow they seem to migrate towards the city, not the county.

"If you're going to cheat, cheat fair. If there's anything I hate it's a crooked crook!" -Moe Howard
     There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (ben_tilly) - (41)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (rcareaga) - (37)
             You like invoking Godwin, don't you? - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                 Sheesh - (rcareaga) - (4)
                     Oh, I understood it alright - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         am I assumed, then, - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             Speaking of imputing motives... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 (shrug) - (rcareaga)
                 Since we're talking Godwin here, - (Arkadiy) - (30)
                     Thank you for the penultimate coffin nail - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Funny you should be talking about this - (drewk) - (11)
                             Too bad he was wrong. - (tseliot) - (10)
                                 No he didnt - (boxley) - (9)
                                     How is e.g. the Lord's Supper about the Law? - (tseliot) - (8)
                                         okay, we can leave Paul out of it - (boxley) - (7)
                                             God didn't destroy the Covenant of Abraham - (orion) - (4)
                                                 the covenant was between G_d and Abraham - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     Jesus included gentiles - (orion)
                                                     Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion) - (1)
                                                         Re: Lazarus and the Rich Man - (orion)
                                             So what was the reason for his death? - (tseliot) - (1)
                                                 he had foreknowledge all right - (boxley)
                     Where did I indicate that I think society is right? - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                         I've never said you consider the killer society right - (Arkadiy) - (15)
                             Let me turn that around - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                                 Tur(i)n Complete ;-) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     a lot of it is in humanity itself - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Helping the poor - (orion)
                                 Re: Let me turn that around - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                     And we continue to disagree - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                         Tiling at giants that look like windmills - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                             Our moralities are different - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                 Could you explain, - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                     non warfare cannibalism, see hindu sects -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                         Links? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                             links - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 The report is rife - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                     good way to untie the mind from humanity -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Explanation - (ben_tilly)
         Re: There is moral relativism and moral relativism - (Ashton)
         #If defs - (boxley) - (1)
             Asking the wrong question - (ben_tilly)

Chips, dips, chains, whips.
201 ms