IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You clearly don't understand the U.S.
Not that that's a bad thing. It doesn't really make sense.
Those of "the rules" that *aren't* so "obvious", though... Are, one would hope, at least *clearly stated* somewhere, so people *know* what the fuck they have to behave like.
They can't do that. Why? As you said above that quote:
You can forbid public drinking/drunkenness or lewd *behaviour* (or, as I've said before, loitering) -- you don't have to resort to more or less arbitrarily throwing specific *people* out.
We have laws about what you are or aren't allowed to prohibit. If someone wants to prohibit them anyway, they can explicitly claim the right to be arbitrary. As long as you don't give a specific reason you're (somewhat) leagally protected.

That's why I said I support racist membership policies and all the rest. If someone is actually going to practice it, then I want them to come right out and say so. I guess I could have been more clear that I support their right to have such policies, not that I support the intent of the policies themselves.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Just because the USA is stupid, you don't have to be, too.
Tha Drookster explains(*):
[Quoting me:]
Those of "the rules" that *aren't* so "obvious", though... Are, one would hope, at least *clearly stated* somewhere, so people *know* what the fuck they have to behave like.
They can't do that. Why? As you said above that quote:
You can forbid public drinking/drunkenness or lewd *behaviour* (or, as I've said before, loitering) -- you don't have to resort to more or less arbitrarily throwing specific *people* out.
We have laws about what you are or aren't allowed to prohibit. If someone wants to prohibit them anyway, they can explicitly claim the right to be arbitrary. As long as you don't give a specific reason you're (somewhat) leagally protected.
Fuck that.

No, really, I mean it -- FUCK that!

Yours is an overly-legalistic society, so utterly and moronically bent on suing each other for anything and everything -- and, therefore (albeit only as a consequence of that original cause), also on protecting oneself from being sued -- that you're suing each other, right and left, over *nothing*.

And, what's at least just as bad, you're busily creating an idiotic system of "rules" that aren't rules; of arbitrary discriminations "in order *not* to be arbitrary", apparently as an attempt "not to be sued". Sheesh, man, can't you SEE that that's just plain fucking BULLSHIT? That that's no way to build a sane society?!?

What you people need to do, is to get over your fucking lawyer-complex. Quick, before you turn yourselves into such morons that you can't find the way back.

That's why I said I support racist membership policies and all the rest. If someone is actually going to practice it, then I want them to come right out and say so. I guess I could have been more clear that I support their right to have such policies, not that I support the intent of the policies themselves.
That's stupid, short-sighted, morally repugnant, and, well, just fucking STUPID.

It's akin to saying, "We don't need no silly laws against 'murder' and such. If someone is going to go around killing people for fun and profit, I'd much rather they come right out and say so."

It contributes to the malaise, in stead of working against it.

Which should be -- nay, *is*! -- every thinking man's duty.

(*): What I knew, already, that he meant.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Yeah, I can understand your anger, but...
America is low-context. What that means is that we spell out ev-er-y-thing, down to the last letter, phoneme, or nuance. That behavior pattern is never going to go away by an act of will. It is a result of having, not lawyers, but the biggest mix of cultures and languages since Babel. The lawyers are a result of that (insert feedback loop here ;).

So, that doesn't modify your whole argument, just explains why "arbitrary" is such a bad word over here. In most countries I've been in outside the U.S.A., the power representatives (judges, police, statesmen, etc.) have a modicum of *personality* power over the subgroup, and can render judgment on laws and squabbles with the assumption that all parties either 1) share the culture of the arbiter, and in some way submit themselves to that power relationship on a personal level, or 2) are outsiders, in which case the parties don't bother trying to pretend things are really fair. In the U.S., since a far greater number (some would say a majority) of power interactions are cross-cultural to some extent, we pretend harder. This results in achingly exact descriptions of what is right and what is wrong, so that behavior can be dealt with as behavior, and not as intent, intent being much harder to define in a cross-cultural context than in a monoculture.

To rephrase, in most societies, the people in power can rule on disputes. Here, "the people are the power" and dispute over rules (that was pithier than I usually like, but I couldn't pass it up :).

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New I think you're still missing part of what I said
That's stupid, short-sighted, morally repugnant, and, well, just fucking STUPID.

It's akin to saying, "We don't need no silly laws against 'murder' and such. If someone is going to go around killing people for fun and profit, I'd much rather they come right out and say so."
Except that I think murder should be illegal.[1] And I think that private businesses should be allowed to discriminate. Yes, this caused massive problems for minority populations in the not-too-distant past. Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=86577|said]:
A store (or a mall) doesn't exist in a moral vacuum -- it sits in the middle of a community, of *society*.
How exactly is that different? That is just another way of saying the majority (the community) gets to set the standards of what I can or can't do in my store.

So in your view is the community only allowed to enforce restrictions with which you happen to agree?

[1] Hey, lookit that, I larned to spel.
===

New No, it's becoming obvious YOU don't know what you're saying.
Drew Kime-s:
[Quoting me:]

Except that I think murder should be illegal.[1] And I think that private businesses should be allowed to discriminate.
Which is an inconsistent and therefore illogical position.

(At least in how you *apply* it; and above all in how you JUSTIFY it, basing your pro-discrimination view on, of all things, *property* "rights".)

Yes, this caused massive problems for minority populations in the not-too-distant past. Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.
So it shouldn't be done.

Which means it should be forbidden.

THAT is the logical and self-consistent position here.

And it happens -- no, BTW, it's no coincidence -- to be *my* position.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=86577|said]:
A store (or a mall) doesn't exist in a moral vacuum -- it sits in the middle of a community, of *society*.
How exactly is that different?
Uh, the thing is, it's NOT SUPPOSED to be "different" -- it's exactly the SAME reason that keeps you from committing murder: As a member of society, there are some things you get to do, and some things you don't.

In your store (or mall), *just like* in your home.

That's what *I* have been saying all the time: That there is no difference, and if one can be forbidden, then obviously the other can, too.

The one who's been claiming that there's some "difference", on the grounds that some things that I say should be forbidden happen on Holy Private Property, is YOU -- and it's YOU who haven't been able to show WHAT that mysterious "difference" is supposed to be, exactly.

And now you turn around and ask *me* "How exactly is that different?", as if the lack of a difference were somehow proof that YOU are right?!?

Which bloody Kindergarten debating club did *that* twisted reasoning -- naah, "reasoning", in quotes! -- last work for you in?

Fuck, even Bryce couldn't be *that* illogical!

That is just another way of saying the majority (the community) gets to set the standards of what I can or can't do in my store.
Which is exactly consistent not only with my position, but even with what you now claim to be YOURS: Yes, *of course* the community gets to set the standards of what you can or can't do in your store. Heck, it even gets to say what you do *in your home*! For instance -- an instance which, only a few lines higher up, you said you *support* -- the law doesn't allow you to commit murder even there. At least I *assume* you didn't mean you "think murder should be illegal" *except* if you commit it on your Private Property?

So in your view is the community only allowed to enforce restrictions with which you happen to agree?
No, that seems to be YOUR view.

Or rather, your view seems to be that the community is allowed to enforce *some* restrictions, with which you happen to agree, even on your Holy Private Property(1); and others, with which you *don't* agree, it *isn't* allowed to enforce, on the grounds that you're doing it on your Holy Private Property(2).

Or *something* very much like that... I'm not quite sure just WHAT the fuck you're saying, actually, because it's all so ill-thought-out, so inconsistent and illogical, that it's quite confusing, really.

[1] Hey, lookit that, I larned to spel.
Now all that remains is for you to learn to READ.

And actively advocating it since 2003.

(1): Even the really-private property of your home, where you still aren't allowed to murder.

(2): Even the not-really-so-private property of your store or mall, where you say you should be allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, or whether one's T-shirt is adorned with peace slogans or not.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New {sigh} And the jingoists want to suppress immigration
[Again] .. it's always on someone's agenda. Hell - immigration is the only Hope of our reversing our present death-spiral into final irrelevance. Xenophobia is as hard to disguise as leprosy.

And here's a furriner who groks the fucking Constitution AND the implications of its (merely sane guidelines) better than 90% of the current crop of Consumer 52%-non-voting 'citizens' could demonstrate.

So obv your mama didn't have no stupid children - but I tend to think that your *educational system* might have a wee bit to do with your managing to (I assume) handle your own particular legal code and pretty well grok one x000 miles away.

Meanwhile, here in Disneyland West: dumbth grows, Bizness steals and eat their youg; cabals take place and Christian OT Preyers in Govt. Buildings\ufffd are preparin for the Tribulations, bettin on bein the Chosen Ones for Rapturin out of airplane cabins [! - really] and otherwise.. welcoming-in (they Love these reptile-brain fantasy words)

Armageddon. (Complete with Nintendo-morphing and Dragons)

Glad yer outta range of Ground Zero, CRC - someone has to pass on a bit of civilization after The Hanging-Chad Warz are ended / Dubya is impeached or, whatever.

Ashton
We know how cruel truth often is; we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling.
Poincar\ufffd
New Boy, did I say that badly
I didn't realise how badly until I read your reply and though, "Yeah, WTF was I thinking. Allow me to clarify:
Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you said:
How exactly is that different?
Uh, the thing is, it's NOT SUPPOSED to be "different" -- it's exactly the SAME reason that keeps you from committing murder
I didn't mean how is that different from murder. I meant how is that not another form of tyranny of the majority? In your reply you repsonded to that separately, but that's what I was drawing the parallel to.

To make it more clear, in 1964 in Birmingham, Alabama, "the community" had agreed that they could hang black men and rape black women. Sometimes the community is wrong. This country is founded[1] on the premise that the individual has rights that can't be taken away by a king, prime minister or president.[2] We deify the individual here.

I think there are some people who take this to an unhealthy extreme. But I agree with the general premise that as long as my choices don't hurt anyone -- and refusing to do business with them doesn't count -- then no one should have any right to tell me I can't make those choices. The logical extension of that is that I don't get to tell other people to stop doing things that offend me.

So in the case with the t-shirt, I don't think the mall (or rather the guard) should have kicked him out for it. But if I want to defend his right to wear what he wants, then I have to defend their right to say, "Not in our place."

[1] Or at least that's the mythology we choose to believe.

[2] Yes, Ashcroft is trying desperately to change this.
===

New Very nicely put.
If all you fur-en-ers leave iwethey, can you tell me where you're going?
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
     Man not allowed to wear a peace t-shirt in mall - (ben_tilly) - (52)
         I don't - (jake123) - (50)
             Malls are private property - (boxley) - (49)
                 Not quite any reason - (ben_tilly) - (48)
                     That may all be true you two... - (jake123) - (47)
                         Yup, 'xackly. -NT - (CRConrad)
                         That might have gotten the cops fired - (boxley) - (45)
                             Then you have a systemic problem. -NT - (jake123) - (44)
                                 yep, troublesome when the state works for the individuals - (boxley) - (43)
                                     Well, I can say - (jake123) - (36)
                                         Not exactly - (drewk) - (35)
                                             They should NOT, & (afaik) DO not, have that "right". - (CRConrad) - (34)
                                                 no shirt, no shoes, no service -NT - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                                                     Yeah, sure... But the point was, he HAD a shirt! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                         At the entrance to every Mall in America is a sign - (boxley)
                                                         not a functional requirement - (SpiceWare)
                                                         What's more... - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                             Ubersoft plotline: - (admin)
                                                 I've spent too long in Europe. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Yer starting to sound like Ashton - (jb4)
                                                 There's more to the story. - (static) - (1)
                                                     In that case... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 You do realize where he was, right? - (drewk) - (16)
                                                     or let smoke there? hopefully :0 -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Umm... Yes, I realise *exactly* where he was. Do YOU? - (CRConrad) - (14)
                                                         Then we just disagree - (drewk)
                                                         Wrong on a point - (boxley) - (12)
                                                             A) Too bloody obvious; B) Oh, that's "a rule", is it ?!? - (CRConrad) - (11)
                                                                 wasnt gaul where Julius made his bones? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     'Xackly - in Latin, it isn't "Gaul", but Gallia. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         {cackle} L'etat c'est Moi! Jacques Tati wherefore art thou? -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 You clearly don't understand the U.S. - (drewk) - (7)
                                                                     Just because the USA is stupid, you don't have to be, too. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                         Yeah, I can understand your anger, but... - (tseliot)
                                                                         I think you're still missing part of what I said - (drewk) - (4)
                                                                             No, it's becoming obvious YOU don't know what you're saying. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                 {sigh} And the jingoists want to suppress immigration - (Ashton)
                                                                                 Boy, did I say that badly - (drewk)
                                                                                 Very nicely put. - (mmoffitt)
                                                 It was more than just the shirt - (morganek) - (6)
                                                     " clearly states" - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                         Re: " clearly states" - (morganek) - (4)
                                                             Doh! - (morganek) - (2)
                                                                 I can see why you wouldn't have noticed right off. -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                     put an <hr> in that signature or some more <br>s before it! -NT - (folkert)
                                                             I'll have to take your word for it. - (Silverlock)
                                     "For individuals"? How many people have *you*... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         in practice yes, the constitution has been voided - (boxley)
                                         But it was a great idea. - (Brandioch)
                                         constitution or ex-parrot? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             There are a lot of quotes like that - (ben_tilly)
                                             Another variant has it - (Ashton)
         Update Security Guard fired, as I expected - (boxley)

I had to wonder. What does a Drag Sheep wear? Wolf's clothing?
429 ms