IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not exactly
He wasn't arrested for wearing the shirt. He was arrested for tresspassing. Once the security guard told him to leave, and he didn't, he was guilty of tresspass. And I believe any privately-owned facility should have the absolute right to exclude anyone they wish. And those so excluded have the right to spend their money elsewhere, or to organize protests and boycotts -- as seems to have happened in this case.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New They should NOT, & (afaik) DO not, have that "right".
Tha DrooK:
He wasn't arrested for wearing the shirt. He was arrested for tresspassing. Once the security guard told him to leave, and he didn't, he was guilty of tresspass.
That's pretty weak, and you know it -- he was *obviously* told to leave (and thus, "trespassing" [sic]) ONLY BECAUSE OF THE SHIRT.

And I believe any privately-owned facility should have the absolute right to exclude anyone they wish.
Actually, I don't think they *do* have that right. Wasn't there some discussion here (or on a previous incarnation) about how shopkeepers that run a business open to the public are obligated to deal with the *whole* public? ISTR that even in the USA -- at least some parts of it -- they can't refuse to deal with you just because they don't like the shape of your ears, or whatever... (And that "trespassing" bullcrap looks pretty much like refusing to deal with someone just because they don't like the shape of his T-shirt.)

And those so excluded have the right to spend their money elsewhere, or to organize protests and boycotts -- as seems to have happened in this case.
The wimpy fucking old "vote with your wallet" line again? Sheesh, you Merkins... Seem to think *everything* is about money, dontya? Words and phrases like "principle" and "stand up for your rights" are just incomprehensible *noise* to you, aren't they?

Not everything is ABOUT your GODDAMN WALLET in the first place, so why the fuck should you think your GODDAMN WALLET is the appropriate tool FOR fucking EVERYthing?!?

That's why I hope like Hell that Marlowe is wrong, and that the American Century is coming to an end as a chapter of world history, not just as a Republic-as-preface-to-Empire... Because you people have sold out what once made you great; you're trampling your great Constitution under your feet, in your constant rush for the next quarterly stock report.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New no shirt, no shoes, no service

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Yeah, sure... But the point was, he HAD a shirt!
Sure, and maybe especially in places where they sell or serve food... But that's a "*functional* requirement"; there is a sensible justification for it, in terms of hygiene and so on.

That's *miles* from jumping on one *particular* be-shirted guy, out of the be-shirted multitudes, because of *which* particular shirt he's wearing.

And you *know* it is.

Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New At the entrance to every Mall in America is a sign
"No solicitation on premises without written permission of management." It is there so the Mall management can dictate what messages can be seen there. Now I think that if I ran that mall that guard would not be working there anymore. There is also a sign on the local malls around here in Florida "If you are asked to leave by an employee and you refuse we will press tresspassing charges" Here it has to do with spring breakers but the concept is the same. A mall employee asked him not to display that message in the mall or leave. Yes it was stupid. Yes I bet the guard wished he had kept his mouth shut. He still was within his rights to have the cops eject him.
Others brought up the color issue. Yes you can eject a black person from private property. If the reason you ejected them was solely based on color you can sue in civil court for damages. You can go to the Feds and file a complaint so they would look into a criminal charge, either way you are no longer on that property as of that moment. You will be forced to go away and deal with it later.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New not a functional requirement
I've been to places that it's not a requirement. Not many exist, but they do.

Just pointed out NS^3 as a counter your "open to the public must deal with the whole public" arguement. The whole public includes shirtless/shoeless people.

I don't agree with what they did, but there's nothing illegal about being stupid.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

Expand Edited by SpiceWare March 6, 2003, 04:55:43 PM EST
New What's more...
HE BOUGHT THE SHIRT IN THAT VERY MALL!

The mall in question is not even a mile away from where I'm living right now. I'm flabbergasted.

Truth told, the people in the mall had the *right* to have that guy arrested. That doesn't keep them from being dumb, worthless motherfuckers, and whether or not they had the *right* to do this, they deserve EVERY SINGLE BIT of the shit they are getting for it.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Ubersoft plotline:
But, I bought this "Give Linux A Chance" t-shirt in your company store, Alex!
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I've spent too long in Europe.
I have to agree with Mr. Conrad.

If it hadn't had been for the shirt, he would NOT have been asked to leave, which would mean that he was NOT trespassing.

Now, if he had been asked to leave for some OTHER reason, that would be a different issue.

As for any shop being allowed to exclude anyone the old "no coloreds" signs immediately spring to mind.

The wimpy fucking old "vote with your wallet" line again? Sheesh, you Merkins... Seem to think *everything* is about money, dontya? Words and phrases like "principle" and "stand up for your rights" are just incomprehensible *noise* to you, aren't they?
The US is driven by commerce. It is the only "culture" that we have.
New Yer starting to sound like Ashton
(not that that's a Bad Thing, mind you...)
jb4
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook
New There's more to the story.
He wasn't the first person wearing that shirt that the security guard told to leave. The cops also spent an hour talking with him after they cuffed him. Clearly they wanted to let him go, but they ran out of options.

From Kuro5hin: [link|http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=112222&category=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=3/5/2003|Albany Times article].

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New In that case...
It makes it more likely that it was an official mall policy. (It might not have been though - it could have just been multiple incidents with the same security guard.) And he knew that without an incident that it wouldn't change. So he was willing to get arrested to make a point.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't like the idea of store owners deciding that their customers should not wear what is really a pretty blase t-shirt.

I am glad that he made the point. Even if I wouldn't have chosen to.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
Expand Edited by ben_tilly March 7, 2003, 07:09:57 AM EST
New You do realize where he was, right?

Not everything is ABOUT your GODDAMN WALLET in the first place, so why the fuck should you think your GODDAMN WALLET is the appropriate tool FOR fucking EVERYthing?!?

He was in a mall, wansn't he? Sure, some people like to just "hang out" at malls. But the basic reason to be in a mall is to shop. So when the mall's representative told him he had to leave, they were really saying, "We don't want you to shop here." So in this case it was about the money.

But more importantly:
And I believe any privately-owned facility should have the absolute right to exclude anyone they wish.
Actually, I don't think they *do* have that right. Wasn't there some discussion here (or on a previous incarnation) about how shopkeepers that run a business open to the public are obligated to deal with the *whole* public?

You're absolutely right. What I was saying is that while they aren't allowed to discriminate I think they should be allowed to. Yes, you read that right and I know exactly what I'm saying.

If I own my home, I am allowed to decide who can come in. It's mine. If I own a store, shouldn't I have the same right? If I'm not allowed to decide who comes in, it isn't really my place. It's a property rights issue.

So I suport racially exclusive clubs, and single-sex colleges, and offensive membership policies, and arbitrary admission policies. Either it's my place or it's not. Why should you get to decide who I have to serve at my business?
===

New or let smoke there? hopefully :0
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

New Umm... Yes, I realise *exactly* where he was. Do YOU?
The Drookster goes Genghis Libertarian:
Quoting me:

He was in a mall, wansn't he? Sure, some people like to just "hang out" at malls. But the basic reason to be in a mall is to shop. So when the mall's representative told him he had to leave, they were really saying, "We don't want you to shop here." So in this case it was about the money.
Sorry to be stating the obvious, but it seems you are in dire need of it: He DID fucking well shop!!!

In fact, since he BOUGHT the bloody T-shirt in question AT THE MALL, I would say that it MUST, "by definition" so to speak, have been OK to wear it there -- what's the fucking sense of allowing it to be SOLD there, if it's so fricking terrible to WEAR it???

But, to address your sub-points (and sub- they are, indeed...) one by one:
He was in a mall, wansn't he?
Why, if you mean a place where you can both buy T-shirts and get something to eat at a "food court", then yes, I do believe he was!

Sure, some people like to just "hang out" at malls.
(As an aside, this has bearing on the "bums" Ben mentioned, and is another aspect of what I was trying to address with the phrase "functional requirement" that Spicy misunderstood: If there are "bums" just "hanging out" at a mall, one can get rid of them by invoking the "functional" argument that they aren't doing what the place is for; I think the word is "loitering". There *are* at least somewhat objective criteria to apply for most undesirable *behaviours*, so there's no need to try to justify throwing out people totally arbitrarily.)

But the basic reason to be in a mall is to shop.
You mean like buying T-shirts and getting something to eat at "food courts"?

So when the mall's representative told him he had to leave, they were really saying, "We don't want you to shop here."
That's funny -- *usually*, they'd be more likely to be saying, "We don't want you to NOT shop here."! :-) (See the bit about "loitering", above.)

So in this case it was about the money.
You mean like the money he paid for the T-shirt and at the "food court"?

But more importantly:
Actually, I don't think they *do* have that right. Wasn't there some discussion here (or on a previous incarnation) about how shopkeepers that run a business open to the public are obligated to deal with the *whole* public?
You're absolutely right. What I was saying is that while they aren't allowed to discriminate I think they should be allowed to. Yes, you read that right and I know exactly what I'm saying.
If that is really true, then you are a total fuckwit.

If I own my home, I am allowed to decide who can come in. It's mine. If I own a store, shouldn't I have the same right?
No, not exactly.

A store is not a home, you see. (Sheesh, I sound as if I'm talking to a three-year-old -- but then, if you think that's a valid analogy, then that IS obviously the level of discourse you operate on!)

Your home is *private* property, where you do whateverthefuck you please, since nobody else has to see it. (Are you still with me, or should I use even smaller words?)

Your store, OTOH, is by its very nature NOT "private" (yeah yeah, as "property" perhaps it is, if "you" happen not to be a corporation).

What a store (or mall) is *for* is to interact with the public -- not to put too fine a point on it, it is all about relieving them of their hard-earned dough. Well, it's "all" about that, from the *store's* point of view, anyway. (Which you seem to blithely assume is the only valid point of view -- if you've even realised that it *is* just a point of view!)

That makes a store (or a mall) a matter of *public* interest, and thus NOT "private", at least not in the same way that your home is "private". (Don't worry -- if you don't understand this, I'll put it in other words right away:)

In other words: A store (or a mall) doesn't exist in a moral vacuum -- it sits in the middle of a community, of *society*. (Now pause and think about that for a while, before you read on.)

If I'm not allowed to decide who comes in, it isn't really my place. It's a property rights issue.
You say that as if you think it somehow decides the issue; as if in one fell swoop it proves your point. The reason you exclaim so trimuphantly about "property rights", apparently expecting to thereby have "won" the discussion, "game, set, and match", is probably because, as an American, you automatically assume that the Holy Right To Property automatically trumps all other rights.

This is just another way of saying "it's about money"; and my point that "not everything is about your wallet" was just another way of saying -- something which will probably come as a shock to you, since to all appearances, you still haven't even understood that this *was* what I was saying -- that "property rights" *don't* automatically trump all other rights.

You've been talking about how a corporation operating a mall -- or, in your slightly shifting-the-grounds analogy, "you" running "a store" ("Welcome to folksy Mom and Pop Kime!") -- is an economic actor. (See, now we'll pick up where we left off, up above.)

Including the Khasimoid one-short-sentence-per-paragraph style. (AND including these additional explanatory parentheses.)

But the society, the people of that community where your store sits, are not JUST economic actors -- above all, they're *citizens*. (Where "above all" means, this is an even more important aspect of them than that they "are consumers".)

At least that's how it works Over Here; but AFAIK, it also used to be how it worked Over There, at least until fairly recently. (But the very fact that you need to be reminded of it does of course go quite a ways towards showing that perhaps it isn't like that Over There, any more.)

The problem seems to be, either that this guy with the T-shirt thought that was still the way it works, even Over There... Or, more optimistically, that *you* haven't understood that it still *is* the way it works, even Over There. (Oh well, if it's just you misunderstanding the situation, that's not all your own fault: That's what Coprorate Money *wants* you to think, so they're busily brainwashing you to think so.)

[Sorry if I seem to have arrived at a conclusion a bit abruptly; I was actually planning to go on for a bit, but I get so tired... Hope you can piece the puzzle together from the bits I've given you above.]

So I suport racially exclusive clubs, and single-sex colleges, and offensive membership policies, and arbitrary admission policies.
Thanks, duly noted.

I think it's best, at least in the long run, to know these things about people one socializes with...

Either it's my place or it's not. Why should you get to decide who I have to serve at my business?
Because it is my community, too, that you have put your fucking business in!(*)

Your fucking business isn't just a way for you to make money -- it's a part of society, which is about more than your fucking "right" to make money!

How the fuck can that be so hard to understand?!?

(*): In the "editorial my" sense, of course, of pointing out that at least it isn't *just "yours"*.

New Then we just disagree
Either it's my place or it's not. Why should you get to decide who I have to serve at my business?
Because it is my community, too, that you have put your fucking business in!(*)

Then we have a fundamental disagreement. And the fact that the purpose of this particular private property is generally to do commerce, that's not the part I care about. So you don't need to go on any more about the Almighty Dollar.

Is the name Randy Weaver well known over there? It's usually heard as "white separatist Randy Weaver." He moved his family to a remote hilltop in Ruby Ridge, Montanna because he didn't like who was movning into his neighborhood. Which IM-not-at-all-HO is exactly how it should work. If you don't like your neighbor you can move. You shouldn't be able to force your neighbor to move just because you don't like the color of his skin.

But the FBI hunted him down and killed his wife and a few other people for gun violations. Thing is, he was in town every day up until the day they surrounded his property. They could have simply arrested him.

Many Americans value above all other freedoms the right to be left the fuck alone. And if, as you said, the community gets to decide what I may and may not do within my own private property, then we don't have that freedom.

Yes, you noticed that I shifted from a corporate-owned mall to my own private store. But you didn't dispute my right to do what I want in my own home. You also didn't really dispute my right to do what I want in my store. At what point does that change? When is my business big enough that I'm not in charge of it any more?

So I suport racially exclusive clubs, and single-sex colleges, and offensive membership policies, and arbitrary admission policies.
Thanks, duly noted.

I think it's best, at least in the long run, to know these things about people one socializes with...

That's actually my point. I'd rather clubs, businesses and organizations were free to publicly post their exclusionry plicies. Do you really think that just because a golf club isn't legally allowed to exclude blacks that it doesn't happen? I'd rather they just posted the policy and let community pressure do its part.

Oh, and I don't mean community pressure to change the policy. I mean community pressure on the membership to ask them what the hell they're doing as members.
===

New Wrong on a point
In fact, since he BOUGHT the bloody T-shirt in question AT THE MALL, I would say that it MUST, "by definition" so to speak, have been OK to wear it there -- what's the fucking sense of allowing it to be SOLD there, if it's so fricking terrible to WEAR it???
If there was a liquor store in the mall and he bought a bottle of booze he would not be entitled to drinnk it on the premises.
If he was a woman and bought a vibrator in the mall she wouldnt be allowed to try it on in the food court.
It was a rule he was unaware of. After the rule was explained, he insisted on continuing to break the rule.
hummmmmmmm
got arrested
thanx,
bill

New A) Too bloody obvious; B) Oh, that's "a rule", is it ?!?
The Ox goes for what I *knew* somebody would go for:
If there was a liquor store in the mall and he bought a bottle of booze he would not be entitled to drinnk it on the premises.
If he was a woman and bought a vibrator in the mall she wouldnt be allowed to try it on in the food court.
Look up the bits about "functional requirement" (or, "...argument"), above and below.

Or, to spell it out forya: That means you can have *objective* criteria about specific *behaviours*. You can forbid public drinking/drunkenness or lewd *behaviour* (or, as I've said before, loitering) -- you don't have to resort to more or less arbitrarily throwing specific *people* out.

Most of those rules -- don't drink/get drunk in the public areas, don't try out your new dildo in the mall, etc -- are so *obvious* we are hardly aware they're there; that's why I was afraid somebody would trot them out as if it were some grand new discovery. (At first I was actually going to include exactly these two in my reply to Drew; then I got too lazy and just left it to hope that people would think for a *second* more, or two, for themselves.)

Those of "the rules" that *aren't* so "obvious", though... Are, one would hope, at least *clearly stated* somewhere, so people *know* what the fuck they have to behave like.

Which brings us to your very interesting second point:
It was a rule he was unaware of. After the rule was explained, he insisted on continuing to break the rule.
It was "a rule", was it???

Where was that rule posted, I wonder? And, more importantly, what *exactly* was that "rule"?!? "Don't wear T-shirts", or "Don't wear clothes" at all?

hummmmmmmm
got arrested
Indeed... Though not, formally, for breaking THAT "rule" that you claim was the problem in the first place.

Weird, isn't it?

I've been meaning to ask: Did he ever really say that???

We *are* talking about Julius -- who is usually the one meant when one says just "Caesar" -- here, aren't we? When and how and why is he supposed to have said that?

Or if, as seems more likely to me, this is just a counter-fake-quote to the fake Shakespeare / Julius Caesar quote that's been spread around lately... If that's what it is, are you then using it as an *intentionally* fake quote, or have *you* been taken in by this one like, for example, Babs Streisand was by the original one?

New wasnt gaul where Julius made his bones?
Dunno wether he actually said it. Just copied it because it sounded cool. His actual quote is "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres"

3 gauls is better than none
New 'Xackly - in Latin, it isn't "Gaul", but Gallia.
Also, I think there's a rather gigantically significant difference between saying that "Gaul should be divided into three parts" -- for purposes of Roman administration, and/or putting it under three different native chiefs to keep the parts fighting between themselves and thus not become as much of a threat to Rome's borders -- and saying that it all "has to be destroyed". (The Romans didn't like to gamble with things like that... And anything involving the French can become a crapshoot! :-)

AFAIK, no very prominent Roman ever said that about any place with enough emphasis to now quote it as if it were particularly significant -- with the obvious exception of Cicero ('t'was him, wannit?) and Carthage.

But, since I now realise what I only suspected before, namely that this is just another attempt at the typical French-baiting that war-mongering Americans seem to think is so clever these days, I must say I'm glad to see that what you're *actually* saying is, that "Three Frenchmen are better than no Frenchmen"! :-)

New {cackle} L'etat c'est Moi! Jacques Tati wherefore art thou?
New You clearly don't understand the U.S.
Not that that's a bad thing. It doesn't really make sense.
Those of "the rules" that *aren't* so "obvious", though... Are, one would hope, at least *clearly stated* somewhere, so people *know* what the fuck they have to behave like.
They can't do that. Why? As you said above that quote:
You can forbid public drinking/drunkenness or lewd *behaviour* (or, as I've said before, loitering) -- you don't have to resort to more or less arbitrarily throwing specific *people* out.
We have laws about what you are or aren't allowed to prohibit. If someone wants to prohibit them anyway, they can explicitly claim the right to be arbitrary. As long as you don't give a specific reason you're (somewhat) leagally protected.

That's why I said I support racist membership policies and all the rest. If someone is actually going to practice it, then I want them to come right out and say so. I guess I could have been more clear that I support their right to have such policies, not that I support the intent of the policies themselves.
===

New Just because the USA is stupid, you don't have to be, too.
Tha Drookster explains(*):
[Quoting me:]
They can't do that. Why? As you said above that quote:
You can forbid public drinking/drunkenness or lewd *behaviour* (or, as I've said before, loitering) -- you don't have to resort to more or less arbitrarily throwing specific *people* out.
We have laws about what you are or aren't allowed to prohibit. If someone wants to prohibit them anyway, they can explicitly claim the right to be arbitrary. As long as you don't give a specific reason you're (somewhat) leagally protected.
Fuck that.

No, really, I mean it -- FUCK that!

Yours is an overly-legalistic society, so utterly and moronically bent on suing each other for anything and everything -- and, therefore (albeit only as a consequence of that original cause), also on protecting oneself from being sued -- that you're suing each other, right and left, over *nothing*.

And, what's at least just as bad, you're busily creating an idiotic system of "rules" that aren't rules; of arbitrary discriminations "in order *not* to be arbitrary", apparently as an attempt "not to be sued". Sheesh, man, can't you SEE that that's just plain fucking BULLSHIT? That that's no way to build a sane society?!?

What you people need to do, is to get over your fucking lawyer-complex. Quick, before you turn yourselves into such morons that you can't find the way back.

That's why I said I support racist membership policies and all the rest. If someone is actually going to practice it, then I want them to come right out and say so. I guess I could have been more clear that I support their right to have such policies, not that I support the intent of the policies themselves.
That's stupid, short-sighted, morally repugnant, and, well, just fucking STUPID.

It's akin to saying, "We don't need no silly laws against 'murder' and such. If someone is going to go around killing people for fun and profit, I'd much rather they come right out and say so."

It contributes to the malaise, in stead of working against it.

Which should be -- nay, *is*! -- every thinking man's duty.

(*): What I knew, already, that he meant.

New Yeah, I can understand your anger, but...
America is low-context. What that means is that we spell out ev-er-y-thing, down to the last letter, phoneme, or nuance. That behavior pattern is never going to go away by an act of will. It is a result of having, not lawyers, but the biggest mix of cultures and languages since Babel. The lawyers are a result of that (insert feedback loop here ;).

So, that doesn't modify your whole argument, just explains why "arbitrary" is such a bad word over here. In most countries I've been in outside the U.S.A., the power representatives (judges, police, statesmen, etc.) have a modicum of *personality* power over the subgroup, and can render judgment on laws and squabbles with the assumption that all parties either 1) share the culture of the arbiter, and in some way submit themselves to that power relationship on a personal level, or 2) are outsiders, in which case the parties don't bother trying to pretend things are really fair. In the U.S., since a far greater number (some would say a majority) of power interactions are cross-cultural to some extent, we pretend harder. This results in achingly exact descriptions of what is right and what is wrong, so that behavior can be dealt with as behavior, and not as intent, intent being much harder to define in a cross-cultural context than in a monoculture.

To rephrase, in most societies, the people in power can rule on disputes. Here, "the people are the power" and dispute over rules (that was pithier than I usually like, but I couldn't pass it up :).

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New I think you're still missing part of what I said
That's stupid, short-sighted, morally repugnant, and, well, just fucking STUPID.

It's akin to saying, "We don't need no silly laws against 'murder' and such. If someone is going to go around killing people for fun and profit, I'd much rather they come right out and say so."
Except that I think murder should be illegal.[1] And I think that private businesses should be allowed to discriminate. Yes, this caused massive problems for minority populations in the not-too-distant past. Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=86577|said]:
A store (or a mall) doesn't exist in a moral vacuum -- it sits in the middle of a community, of *society*.
How exactly is that different? That is just another way of saying the majority (the community) gets to set the standards of what I can or can't do in my store.

So in your view is the community only allowed to enforce restrictions with which you happen to agree?

[1] Hey, lookit that, I larned to spel.
===

New No, it's becoming obvious YOU don't know what you're saying.
Drew Kime-s:
[Quoting me:]

Except that I think murder should be illegal.[1] And I think that private businesses should be allowed to discriminate.
Which is an inconsistent and therefore illogical position.

(At least in how you *apply* it; and above all in how you JUSTIFY it, basing your pro-discrimination view on, of all things, *property* "rights".)

Yes, this caused massive problems for minority populations in the not-too-distant past. Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.
So it shouldn't be done.

Which means it should be forbidden.

THAT is the logical and self-consistent position here.

And it happens -- no, BTW, it's no coincidence -- to be *my* position.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=86577|said]:
A store (or a mall) doesn't exist in a moral vacuum -- it sits in the middle of a community, of *society*.
How exactly is that different?
Uh, the thing is, it's NOT SUPPOSED to be "different" -- it's exactly the SAME reason that keeps you from committing murder: As a member of society, there are some things you get to do, and some things you don't.

In your store (or mall), *just like* in your home.

That's what *I* have been saying all the time: That there is no difference, and if one can be forbidden, then obviously the other can, too.

The one who's been claiming that there's some "difference", on the grounds that some things that I say should be forbidden happen on Holy Private Property, is YOU -- and it's YOU who haven't been able to show WHAT that mysterious "difference" is supposed to be, exactly.

And now you turn around and ask *me* "How exactly is that different?", as if the lack of a difference were somehow proof that YOU are right?!?

Which bloody Kindergarten debating club did *that* twisted reasoning -- naah, "reasoning", in quotes! -- last work for you in?

Fuck, even Bryce couldn't be *that* illogical!

That is just another way of saying the majority (the community) gets to set the standards of what I can or can't do in my store.
Which is exactly consistent not only with my position, but even with what you now claim to be YOURS: Yes, *of course* the community gets to set the standards of what you can or can't do in your store. Heck, it even gets to say what you do *in your home*! For instance -- an instance which, only a few lines higher up, you said you *support* -- the law doesn't allow you to commit murder even there. At least I *assume* you didn't mean you "think murder should be illegal" *except* if you commit it on your Private Property?

So in your view is the community only allowed to enforce restrictions with which you happen to agree?
No, that seems to be YOUR view.

Or rather, your view seems to be that the community is allowed to enforce *some* restrictions, with which you happen to agree, even on your Holy Private Property(1); and others, with which you *don't* agree, it *isn't* allowed to enforce, on the grounds that you're doing it on your Holy Private Property(2).

Or *something* very much like that... I'm not quite sure just WHAT the fuck you're saying, actually, because it's all so ill-thought-out, so inconsistent and illogical, that it's quite confusing, really.

[1] Hey, lookit that, I larned to spel.
Now all that remains is for you to learn to READ.

And actively advocating it since 2003.

(1): Even the really-private property of your home, where you still aren't allowed to murder.

(2): Even the not-really-so-private property of your store or mall, where you say you should be allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, or whether one's T-shirt is adorned with peace slogans or not.

New {sigh} And the jingoists want to suppress immigration
[Again] .. it's always on someone's agenda. Hell - immigration is the only Hope of our reversing our present death-spiral into final irrelevance. Xenophobia is as hard to disguise as leprosy.

And here's a furriner who groks the fucking Constitution AND the implications of its (merely sane guidelines) better than 90% of the current crop of Consumer 52%-non-voting 'citizens' could demonstrate.

So obv your mama didn't have no stupid children - but I tend to think that your *educational system* might have a wee bit to do with your managing to (I assume) handle your own particular legal code and pretty well grok one x000 miles away.

Meanwhile, here in Disneyland West: dumbth grows, Bizness steals and eat their youg; cabals take place and Christian OT Preyers in Govt. Buildings\ufffd are preparin for the Tribulations, bettin on bein the Chosen Ones for Rapturin out of airplane cabins [! - really] and otherwise.. welcoming-in (they Love these reptile-brain fantasy words)

Armageddon. (Complete with Nintendo-morphing and Dragons)

Glad yer outta range of Ground Zero, CRC - someone has to pass on a bit of civilization after The Hanging-Chad Warz are ended / Dubya is impeached or, whatever.

Ashton
We know how cruel truth often is; we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling.
Poincar\ufffd
New Boy, did I say that badly
I didn't realise how badly until I read your reply and though, "Yeah, WTF was I thinking. Allow me to clarify:
Yes, it leads to tyranny of the majority.

But what's the alternative? When I asked what gives you the right to set rules in my store, you said:
How exactly is that different?
Uh, the thing is, it's NOT SUPPOSED to be "different" -- it's exactly the SAME reason that keeps you from committing murder
I didn't mean how is that different from murder. I meant how is that not another form of tyranny of the majority? In your reply you repsonded to that separately, but that's what I was drawing the parallel to.

To make it more clear, in 1964 in Birmingham, Alabama, "the community" had agreed that they could hang black men and rape black women. Sometimes the community is wrong. This country is founded[1] on the premise that the individual has rights that can't be taken away by a king, prime minister or president.[2] We deify the individual here.

I think there are some people who take this to an unhealthy extreme. But I agree with the general premise that as long as my choices don't hurt anyone -- and refusing to do business with them doesn't count -- then no one should have any right to tell me I can't make those choices. The logical extension of that is that I don't get to tell other people to stop doing things that offend me.

So in the case with the t-shirt, I don't think the mall (or rather the guard) should have kicked him out for it. But if I want to defend his right to wear what he wants, then I have to defend their right to say, "Not in our place."

[1] Or at least that's the mythology we choose to believe.

[2] Yes, Ashcroft is trying desperately to change this.
===

New Very nicely put.
If all you fur-en-ers leave iwethey, can you tell me where you're going?
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New It was more than just the shirt
He was stopping other shoppers.

The complaint referenced in the newpaper article clearly states that the guards "received complaints that they were stopping other shoppers."

[link|http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/crossgates1.html|http://www.thesmokin.../crossgates1.html]

I wonder why Reuters didn't put this minor detail in their report?

The second guard's deposition is difficult to read, but this Downs guy was being a real pain in the ass.

If he wanted to accost people, he should have done it on a public street.
New " clearly states"
The complaint referenced in the newpaper article clearly states that the guards "received complaints that they were stopping other shoppers."
The problem here is that the police report in the Smoking Gun you provide a link to "clearly states" that an arguement had been observed by one (anonymous) woman. Maybe I missed something, point it out will ya?
Sometimes, self respect says you just have to speak out.
New Re: " clearly states"
Look on the first page of security guard Robert Williams' deposition regarding what he *observed* at:

[link|http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/crossgates3.html|http://www.thesmokin.../crossgates3.html]

"As they were walking through the common area they were stopping customers to express why they are wearing the shirts."

So, why did Reuters omit this detail in their report? Had it been there--even if it had been reported as, "The complaint states that. . . "--it would have stopped a lot of heated claims here and elsewhere that Downs was arrested for what was on his t-shirt.

The omission was inflammatory.

If this is a self-respect/self-expression thing, then there are probably hundreds of places on nearby public property where they could have done this.
New Doh!
I just now realized that the "self-respect" thing is your sig.
New I can see why you wouldn't have noticed right off.
New put an <hr> in that signature or some more <br>s before it!
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Writing on wall, Microsoft to develop apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberspace_strategy.pdf|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New I'll have to take your word for it.
I can't read it. Might be time for new glasses. Given the current political climate, I find it much more reasonable to posit that the peace shirt wearing duo were accosted and responded. It is, however, possible that this member of the judicial review board did instigate altercations with random mall customers. I leave it to you as to which is the most likely.
     Man not allowed to wear a peace t-shirt in mall - (ben_tilly) - (52)
         I don't - (jake123) - (50)
             Malls are private property - (boxley) - (49)
                 Not quite any reason - (ben_tilly) - (48)
                     That may all be true you two... - (jake123) - (47)
                         Yup, 'xackly. -NT - (CRConrad)
                         That might have gotten the cops fired - (boxley) - (45)
                             Then you have a systemic problem. -NT - (jake123) - (44)
                                 yep, troublesome when the state works for the individuals - (boxley) - (43)
                                     Well, I can say - (jake123) - (36)
                                         Not exactly - (drewk) - (35)
                                             They should NOT, & (afaik) DO not, have that "right". - (CRConrad) - (34)
                                                 no shirt, no shoes, no service -NT - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                                                     Yeah, sure... But the point was, he HAD a shirt! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                         At the entrance to every Mall in America is a sign - (boxley)
                                                         not a functional requirement - (SpiceWare)
                                                         What's more... - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                             Ubersoft plotline: - (admin)
                                                 I've spent too long in Europe. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Yer starting to sound like Ashton - (jb4)
                                                 There's more to the story. - (static) - (1)
                                                     In that case... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 You do realize where he was, right? - (drewk) - (16)
                                                     or let smoke there? hopefully :0 -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Umm... Yes, I realise *exactly* where he was. Do YOU? - (CRConrad) - (14)
                                                         Then we just disagree - (drewk)
                                                         Wrong on a point - (boxley) - (12)
                                                             A) Too bloody obvious; B) Oh, that's "a rule", is it ?!? - (CRConrad) - (11)
                                                                 wasnt gaul where Julius made his bones? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     'Xackly - in Latin, it isn't "Gaul", but Gallia. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         {cackle} L'etat c'est Moi! Jacques Tati wherefore art thou? -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 You clearly don't understand the U.S. - (drewk) - (7)
                                                                     Just because the USA is stupid, you don't have to be, too. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                         Yeah, I can understand your anger, but... - (tseliot)
                                                                         I think you're still missing part of what I said - (drewk) - (4)
                                                                             No, it's becoming obvious YOU don't know what you're saying. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                 {sigh} And the jingoists want to suppress immigration - (Ashton)
                                                                                 Boy, did I say that badly - (drewk)
                                                                                 Very nicely put. - (mmoffitt)
                                                 It was more than just the shirt - (morganek) - (6)
                                                     " clearly states" - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                         Re: " clearly states" - (morganek) - (4)
                                                             Doh! - (morganek) - (2)
                                                                 I can see why you wouldn't have noticed right off. -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                     put an <hr> in that signature or some more <br>s before it! -NT - (folkert)
                                                             I'll have to take your word for it. - (Silverlock)
                                     "For individuals"? How many people have *you*... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         in practice yes, the constitution has been voided - (boxley)
                                         But it was a great idea. - (Brandioch)
                                         constitution or ex-parrot? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             There are a lot of quotes like that - (ben_tilly)
                                             Another variant has it - (Ashton)
         Update Security Guard fired, as I expected - (boxley)

My schaden, it is freuded.
332 ms