IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You feel good about defending slime?
Cheney; We won't do business with Iraq. Neither us nor our foriegn partners. (paraphrased)
Well maybe just a little. Ok, maybe [link|http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/6/24/80648.shtml|more] than a llittle.

I was wrong about the timing though.
How many lives per gallon?
--Sign outside of various churches
New Oh. So you lie about something...
...then I call you on that lie.

You seem to think that attacking me is the solution.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Lie?
They broke the law. They found a lawyers trick to get around being convicted/punished for it. The oilfield equipment was produced by Halliburton. It was sold to Iraq. That was illegal. They shrouded it in middlemen. Sound business practices, huh?

Unless of course, you are saying I was lieing about something else. If so, point it out for me will ya?
New The only one
saying it is illegal is you. Oh, well, maybe a web site or 2.

No complaint filed. No conviction. No nothing. Because the law wasn't violated. No matter how much you try to claim it was.

So yes. You lied.

New If you say so.
No conviction.

By that logic, I want to hear you say "Clinton did nothing illegal".

What part of "got away with it" doesn't make sense?

Let's go for the absurd. No one, according to you, who is not convicted has ever acted illegaly.

I know you don't think that. Neither do I. People commit crimes all the time without getting caught/prosecuted/convicted. Doesn't mean they were acting legally.

My sincerely held belief is that they acted illegaly and got away with it. If you define that as a lie, so be it.

I say they acted illegaly and didn't get caught. You say since they didn't get caught, they didn't act illegaly.

If I'm wrong about your position, I apologise, but that's what it looks like.
New Hmmm.
Let me see.

What part of >not illegal< is it that you have having problems with?

There was nothing illegal in what happened.

No laws were violated.

No matter how much you insist they were.

They had nothing to "get caught" doing?

Is that plain enough?

New plain enough
I will accept for now, your belief that a megacorporation did not break laws applicable to it through underhanded dealings. Will you accept my belief that they did? We disagree. I don't see a common ground.
New Is OJ guilty of murder?
More clearly, how do you view "the Law"?

Do you place the Letter of the Law above the Spirit of the Law?

Can someone "break" the Law if someone finds a loophole?

If not, then why do we use the term "loophole"?

I believe that it is because some people place the Spirit of the Law above the Letter of the Law. The Letter of the Law is NOT always perfect. So it is possible to break the Spirit of the Law while still following the Letter of the Law.

I will leave it up to everyone else what type of person values the Letter of the Law more than the Spirit
-and-
What type of person values the Spirit of the Law more than the Letter.
New ok,
On this, I agree.
New In any case...relax.....
Haliburton made sure it crossed it's i's and t's whenever it does a deal. It won't be caught flaunting US law that much....at least with regard to international deals. (Tax evasion may be another story).

Besides, did you see they charged to build the cages in Guantamo?
New You want me to stay calm?
Or you want me to relax? Doesn't matter. I'll mouth off when I think it needed. Hopefully in a relaxed manner.

:)
New Nobody called it a loophole...
...but you and Silver.

You are making something up and then tossing it in with completely unrelated situations.

All the while "pretending" to ignore.

Its not a letter vs spirit argument.

Except to you...in a veiled attempt to toss around some holier than thou insults.

Pathetic is your word for that.

New You don't consider this a loophole?
Clearly circomventing the laws of our country to do business with our declared enemies? Oh, never mind. I forgot. Profit was involved.
New Another possible factor.
Do you believe that certain people would hold an opinion contrary to their current opinion if the company involved had retained the services of Bill or Hillary Clinton?

I think there the discussion would be the complete opposite of what we're seeing right now.
New Obviously not.
Its not a hidden clause.

Its not a "lttle known sub-paragraph"

Its not any of these things.

Why.

Because the transaction was absolutely legal.

There was no circumventing involved.

There was no "loophole" involved.

But I expect you to continue this..and continue your attacks against me...simply because I know your position that anyone even remotely involved with the current US government is an evil, lying bastard thief...and then you get really nasty with oil men. So none of them could possibly be upholding the law. (except the Holy Ghost" tm of the law maybe)

You continue to INVENT "loopholes". Talk about "letter" versus "spirit" of the law (and then mention Clinton like I would have a different opinion if it were >him<)(post edit..sorry...not you) I don't have that problem...much as it would be >convenient< to assume.

Your "friend" continues to be too afraid to tackle any issue with me directly. But since he has been supporting Chirac..well you know where that leads..we're far enough right for that to be very clear.

I expect more of the same.

Expand Edited by bepatient Feb. 25, 2003, 01:19:56 AM EST
New Take it slow
I am not attacking you. I am attacking your position. Your mindset. Your reflexive defense of all things monetary. Slow down and make sure you are not confusing me with someone else. I see by your edit that for at least part of this exchange, you did have me confused with someone else. Are you sure you didn't make the same error elsewhere?
New I did.
And thought the post edit addition would clarify (the "sorry not you" piece) that section of post not directed at you specifically.

Its not "reflexive defense". It is a very simple reasoning.

You made a false statement.

I called you on it.

I did recant on a portion of the debate with you due to your clarification on stance with "nos amis". I had assumed a position based upon one of your posts that you later clarified. (All in good spirit, too...unlike a few others around here;-))

Then we enter a little go-round about "letter vs spirit" in which you start railing on the >intent<. You don't know anything about the intent. You assume it based on your prejudice...a prejudice that I don't share. And here...you are probably correct...we can agree to disagree. I don't care to >ever< enter a place where prosecution is based upon some mythical "spirit" of law. You seem quite fine with assuming guilt first, based on your own personal prejudice. Is that the country that you want made in your own image?

Its a slippery slope that applies evenly across the board. I do not support prosecution on "spirit" of the law because that "spirit" is open to radical differences in interpretation. And just discussing "spirit" versus letter, in my opinion, is an attempt to level guilt at the innocent. Individual >or< business. And sooner or later, these assumptions of guilt are NOT leveled at the "evil business"...but they are leveled at an individual member of that business. Much like here. And there is no basis nor any proof that Cheney was involved or even aware that these sales were made. (Oh sure...you will retort "How could he NOT know...he was in charge"..etc...all assumptions...all presumed guilt...all leveled at an individual based upon your personal prejudice)

See where this is going?

New Letter vs spirit post wasn't from me.
I thought you may have made that mistake. Just clarifying.
New Yep...review complete.
You held that it was illegal. No spirit mentioned.

So we can stick to the original "you're wrong" assessment that I made earlier :)

An odd Iraq analysis - (cwbrenn) - (69)
         That would be cute if it weren't for ... - (dmarker) - (68)
             Oh, I believe the split is real. - (cwbrenn)
             You see...this is what I mean. - (bepatient) - (66)
                 One other "minor detail" *you* "forgot" to mention - (Silverlock) - (65)
                     *chuckle* - (bepatient) - (64)
                         Just goes to show... - (marlowe) - (1)
                             Also goes to show... - (bepatient)
                         If the loophole fits, you must acquit? - (Silverlock) - (61)
                             ROFL - (bepatient) - (60)
                                 Was it against the law for Halliburton to sell to Iraq? - (Silverlock) - (59)
                                     There you go again. - (bepatient) - (47)
                                         Hypocrisy? - (Silverlock) - (34)
                                             Yes. Clearly. - (bepatient) - (33)
                                                 You missed something - (Silverlock) - (32)
                                                     I guess the link to Molly... - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                         Back to the point, shall we? - (Silverlock) - (30)
                                                             Questions - (drewk) - (23)
                                                                 Good questions. - (Silverlock) - (22)
                                                                     Find those sources. - (bepatient) - (19)
                                                                         You feel good about defending slime? - (Silverlock) - (18)
                                                                             Oh. So you lie about something... - (bepatient) - (17)
                                                                                 Lie? - (Silverlock) - (16)
                                                                                     The only one - (bepatient) - (15)
                                                                                         If you say so. - (Silverlock) - (14)
                                                                                             Hmmm. - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                                                                 plain enough - (Silverlock) - (12)
                                                                                                     Is OJ guilty of murder? - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                                                         ok, - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                                             In any case...relax..... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                                 You want me to stay calm? - (Silverlock)
                                                                                                         Nobody called it a loophole... - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                                             You don't consider this a loophole? - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                                                                                 Another possible factor. - (Brandioch)
                                                                                                                 Obviously not. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                     Take it slow - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                                                                                         I did. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                             Letter vs spirit post wasn't from me. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Yep...review complete. - (bepatient)
                                                                     The problem is still larger than just this one instance - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                         Like I said - (Silverlock)
                                                             Essential to the hypocrisy, - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                 Let me see.... - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                                                     Nice tap dance. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                         Soft shoeing it. - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                             And I retract. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 Haven't yet. - (Silverlock)
                                         Beep, the New World Order proselyte!!! - (jb4) - (11)
                                             Question, it is illegal for US Citizens to travel to cuba - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Not even applicable here. - (bepatient)
                                                 Actually, its not - (tuberculosis)
                                             And they did. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                 Here's what I follow: - (jb4) - (6)
                                                     You want to give a link? - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                         Well, I did a search... - (jb4) - (4)
                                                             There has been... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                 Nope. Clear. - (jb4) - (2)
                                                                     Only dimples. Else there be lawlessness :) -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                         Propinquitous LRPD:____ *snort* -NT - (Ashton)
                                     WashPost said it was legal. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                         Reality. What a concept. -NT - (bepatient)
                                         Define "work". - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                             No sanctions haven't worked - they haven't made Iraq comply. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                 So whaddya think..we need one more resolution, right? ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                 Thanks for a cant-free report. Circle-jerk present. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     See the Halliburton thread. - (Brandioch)
                                                     Yup Ash - good call - could see where this thread was head - (dmarker) - (1)
                                                         Sad. - (bepatient)
                                                 Good points. However, ... - (mmoffitt)
                                             Yep. - (Brandioch)

Here come the witnesses.
226 ms