IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Today may be another bad day for decisions...
ThinkProgress argues Hobby Lobby is probably the lesser of the two big cases to be decided today when it comes to setting the future course for America.

From the day the justices agreed to decide whether employers with religious objections to birth control can refuse to follow a federal rule requiring employer-provided health plans to cover contraception, a broad array of Court watchers have treated the Hobby Lobby litigation as the single most important issue facing the justices this term. Indeed, based on the sheer volume of pieces ThinkProgress has published discussing Hobby Lobby, this site has probably given this impression as well.

Hobby Lobby is a major case, with tremendous implications for whether religious conservatives must obey the same rules that apply to the rest of society, but there is another case pending before the Court that has even greater implications for what kind of nation America will become. On Monday, the Supreme Court is expected to hand down two cases, Hobby Lobby and a lesser-known case called Harris v. Quinn. Of the two, more is actually at stake in Harris than in Hobby Lobby.

[...]

See the original for embedded links.

ScotusBlog will have the play-by-play.

Cheers,
Scott.
New On the other hand ...
In a sane world, Scalia's cop example would be intended to demonstrate why you can't frame this as a First Amendment issue. Cringers fossed.
--

Drew
New the ruling at least was narrow and it was congress's fault
the ruling depended heavily on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which allowed corporations to be included implicitly
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Charlle Pierce is on it..

In the other big decision today, Harris v. Quinn, the conservative majority among the Nine Wise Souls once again played their favorite game of coring out a precedent while, simultaneously, chickening out on what they really wanted to do, but can't do, at least until a couple more of their ideological bro's come on board because, otherwise, they might scare Anthony Kennedy into common sense, and none of them wants that.

[. . .]

..and so it goes

Expand Edited by Ashton June 30, 2014, 06:55:27 PM EDT
New Linky
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025172135

===

Edit: Hmm, posted that link before reading. Looks like there wasn't any analysis besides what was in your quote. I'd really like to see a good analysis of it.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook June 30, 2014, 05:18:04 PM EDT
New (I added a couple pix to above) ;^> Saves words.
New RedState had an interesting article.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I meant the Harris case
But now that I've read it ...

That argument could also be used to oppose virtually any tax. I'm sure that's not an accident.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook July 1, 2014, 06:50:31 PM EDT
New 'There’s nothing stopping anyone from purchasing birth control in this decision.'
Typical digital-mind 'think', a lateral arabesque around Why Obamacare was/is such a necessary baby-step towards.. something resembling
what the Smarter-rich-countries already have: Single Payer; the only way to keep bankers, insurance cartels et al from continuing to pillage All. We Know all this shit, here.
Pay MDs salaries. No More fee-for-'services': as encourages all the pork on every single action a For-profit capitalist system guarantees:

Your Money or Your Life! ... as-in: every B-movie Western ever cobbled together over a week-end.
Redstate, as is obvious, labors under the social-Darwinism of every Libertytarian (and you don't need a 'But' in front of 'moreoever'==just as grammatically-inept as in other thinking efforts.)

Loved this one:

Employers only started offering health insurance to their employees during the wage freeze imposed by the government during World War II. Since employers were forbidden from offering higher salaries to attract new workers, they offered health insurance instead.

Un-wittingly underscoring the fucking 100% pecuniary basis of every Corp's mindset: screw the "benefit" to any of our cheap wage-Serfs: game-the-System again/get better 'hires'==cheaper for us==We Win.

Pshaw; the US is so full of shit (like this) ... all our eyes must be brown (when the filters are removed.)
     'When SCOTUS still fixed things: What America looked like before the Warren Court' - (Ashton) - (18)
         Today may be another bad day for decisions... - (Another Scott) - (8)
             On the other hand ... - (drook)
             the ruling at least was narrow and it was congress's fault - (boxley)
             Charlle Pierce is on it.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Linky - (drook) - (4)
                     (I added a couple pix to above) ;^> Saves words. -NT - (Ashton)
                     RedState had an interesting article. - (folkert) - (2)
                         I meant the Harris case - (drook)
                         'There’s nothing stopping anyone from purchasing birth control in this decision.' - (Ashton)
         Corporations are People for REALS... - (folkert) - (5)
             Time to invent a religion ... - (drook) - (4)
                 can I has my pimento cheeze on a steak sammich? -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Time to invent a religion ... - (folkert)
                 Sure hope nobody working for a company owned by Jehovah's Witnesses requires a blood transfusion. -NT - (folkert)
                 'Love Everybody (except Antarcticans)' ... was tried.. - (Ashton)
         Ginsburg excoriates the Repo mafia on Hobby Lobby - (Ashton) - (2)
             Her dissent is a good read. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Quite right, that last. Well.. in other corporate/totalitarian countries, - (Ashton)

Jump, jive and wail!
65 ms