IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 'When SCOTUS still fixed things: What America looked like before the Warren Court'
Salon

A lengthy excerpt from book, On Democracy's Doorstep: The Inside Story of How the Supreme Court Brought "One Person, One Vote" to the United States.

That the Birchers et al loathed the Warren Court is a clue.. had they prevailed, why we could have had all the Vulture excesses locked-in in the '50s.
H. L. Mencken is in there and comparisons with (then G.B.) versions of representation makes for some decent historical perspective, maybe even some clues about the 'new monopolization': not seen for 100 years at today's level.

Yep, the list grows: everything is broken and no governing is happening. (But it's all right.. we have plenty of time.)
New Today may be another bad day for decisions...
ThinkProgress argues Hobby Lobby is probably the lesser of the two big cases to be decided today when it comes to setting the future course for America.

From the day the justices agreed to decide whether employers with religious objections to birth control can refuse to follow a federal rule requiring employer-provided health plans to cover contraception, a broad array of Court watchers have treated the Hobby Lobby litigation as the single most important issue facing the justices this term. Indeed, based on the sheer volume of pieces ThinkProgress has published discussing Hobby Lobby, this site has probably given this impression as well.

Hobby Lobby is a major case, with tremendous implications for whether religious conservatives must obey the same rules that apply to the rest of society, but there is another case pending before the Court that has even greater implications for what kind of nation America will become. On Monday, the Supreme Court is expected to hand down two cases, Hobby Lobby and a lesser-known case called Harris v. Quinn. Of the two, more is actually at stake in Harris than in Hobby Lobby.

[...]

See the original for embedded links.

ScotusBlog will have the play-by-play.

Cheers,
Scott.
New On the other hand ...
In a sane world, Scalia's cop example would be intended to demonstrate why you can't frame this as a First Amendment issue. Cringers fossed.
--

Drew
New the ruling at least was narrow and it was congress's fault
the ruling depended heavily on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which allowed corporations to be included implicitly
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Charlle Pierce is on it..

In the other big decision today, Harris v. Quinn, the conservative majority among the Nine Wise Souls once again played their favorite game of coring out a precedent while, simultaneously, chickening out on what they really wanted to do, but can't do, at least until a couple more of their ideological bro's come on board because, otherwise, they might scare Anthony Kennedy into common sense, and none of them wants that.

[. . .]

..and so it goes

Expand Edited by Ashton June 30, 2014, 06:55:27 PM EDT
New Linky
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025172135

===

Edit: Hmm, posted that link before reading. Looks like there wasn't any analysis besides what was in your quote. I'd really like to see a good analysis of it.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook June 30, 2014, 05:18:04 PM EDT
New (I added a couple pix to above) ;^> Saves words.
New RedState had an interesting article.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I meant the Harris case
But now that I've read it ...

That argument could also be used to oppose virtually any tax. I'm sure that's not an accident.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook July 1, 2014, 06:50:31 PM EDT
New 'There’s nothing stopping anyone from purchasing birth control in this decision.'
Typical digital-mind 'think', a lateral arabesque around Why Obamacare was/is such a necessary baby-step towards.. something resembling
what the Smarter-rich-countries already have: Single Payer; the only way to keep bankers, insurance cartels et al from continuing to pillage All. We Know all this shit, here.
Pay MDs salaries. No More fee-for-'services': as encourages all the pork on every single action a For-profit capitalist system guarantees:

Your Money or Your Life! ... as-in: every B-movie Western ever cobbled together over a week-end.
Redstate, as is obvious, labors under the social-Darwinism of every Libertytarian (and you don't need a 'But' in front of 'moreoever'==just as grammatically-inept as in other thinking efforts.)

Loved this one:

Employers only started offering health insurance to their employees during the wage freeze imposed by the government during World War II. Since employers were forbidden from offering higher salaries to attract new workers, they offered health insurance instead.

Un-wittingly underscoring the fucking 100% pecuniary basis of every Corp's mindset: screw the "benefit" to any of our cheap wage-Serfs: game-the-System again/get better 'hires'==cheaper for us==We Win.

Pshaw; the US is so full of shit (like this) ... all our eyes must be brown (when the filters are removed.)
New Corporations are People for REALS...
They can now pick a religion... and enforce it.

They are setting themselves up to dis-allow hiring people of color or alternative sexual persuasion or crimnuls

Yeah, this in't good.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Time to invent a religion ...
Lessee, what will be "evil" in my religion?

Voting for a Republican. (See, I love the sinner who is a Republican, but hate the sin of voting for one.)

Buying a gun. (Same rationale.)

Drinking cream soda. (Because just, eww.)

Putting Cheez Wiz on a steak sandwich. Or calling it "Philly style" and making it with roast beef.

I'm sure I'll come up with more as I think about it.
--

Drew
New can I has my pimento cheeze on a steak sammich?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Re: Time to invent a religion ...
Ketchup on an All Beef Hot Dog (2 things wrong there)

Going to Sunday Morning Worship Service. (You can Worship any time except for a gathering)

Sex with the lights on.

Old White men *MUST* wear decent clothes... a tshirt, shorts, argyle socks and black dress shoes. Same goes for Old White women... plus a NO-BRAZIER! MUST ALL BE blended fibers!

There are others I can come up with.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert June 30, 2014, 12:15:33 PM EDT
New Sure hope nobody working for a company owned by Jehovah's Witnesses requires a blood transfusion.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New 'Love Everybody (except Antarcticans)' ... was tried..
Icon: penguin with knife-in-back.. then LInus co-opted that one, removed knife, replaced with a garland ...
but still: though everyone hated WIndows, they continued to flagellate selves.

Doesn't seem to work; Gandhi's alleged quote, I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. is Snoped about, with some arguable but priceless expansions, like..

Dr. Jones says that the greatest hindrance to the Christian gospel in India is a dislike for western domination, western snobbery, the western theological system, western militarism and western race prejudice. Gandhi, the great prophet of India, said, "I love your Christ, but I dislike your Christianity." The embarrassing fact is that India judges us by our own professed standard.

as in Heh.. (Think I prefer Leave-Me-Alone-ism) the short-form of ~
Go burn your contraceptives, have your fucking-dozen babies--just not on My planet, you sanctimonious psalm-singing solipsists

Already got 13 acolytes; what more do ya need. Because: pissed-off-crowd--funding.
New Ginsburg excoriates the Repo mafia on Hobby Lobby
Link to her full dissent, as well

Here are the highlights of Justice Ginsburg’s fiery Hobby Lobby dissent
The iconic member of the Supreme Court's liberal wing argues the majority "has ventured into a minefield"

ELIAS ISQUITH

On Monday morning, the Supreme Court finally released its much-anticipated decision on the Hobby Lobby case, a decision that lived up to expectations by being split along ideological lines (the court’s five conservatives overruling its four liberals) and severely weakening Obamacare’s birth control mandate.

Also living up to expectations? Liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s blistering dissent, which excoriated the court’s majority for its ruling, describing it as a “radical” decision “of startling breadth” that would have chaotic and major unintended consequences. You can read her dissent in full here (it starts at page 60) but we’ve also compiled some of its best, key parts.

Ginsburg opens with a bang, immediately describing the decision as one that will have sweeping consequences:

In a decision of startling breadth, the Court holds that commercial enterprises, including corporations, along with partnerships and sole proprietorships, can opt out of any law (saving only tax laws) they judge incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs.

She frames the decision as one that denies women access to healthcare, rather than as one that upholds religious liberty:

The exemption sought by Hobby Lobby and Conestoga would…deny legions of women who do not hold their employers’ beliefs access to contraceptive coverage.

[. . .]

Looking on the bwight side: may the backlash from every single Thinking-woman or man further unravel what remains of the former-GOP ..unto its lingering death-rattle.
Every day, almost: it's another unwitting paean to Python's SIlly Party (but natch, few Repos would have seen them dirty commies.)

Jeez, what will the Unconscious Five come up with next week?
New Her dissent is a good read.
What will they do next? Whatever they want, as usual.

They ignore the clear history of the RFRA, they ignore the clear history of previous precedents, they threw out "stare decisis" years ago.

The 5, as Kevin Drum said yesterday, simply regard abortion as the single most important religious issue and as one that trumps everything else. If someone says that they can't obey the law because they don't like abortion, well they get a free pass.

Next they'll try to find a way to extend Hobby Lobby to non-closely-held corporations. And I'm sure they'll work on some other way of making abortion, and contraception in general, even more difficult to access.

They're shameless, and they don't care.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Quite right, that last. Well.. in other corporate/totalitarian countries,
where one has a Despot-for-Life? (declared by the guy in charge of the few, well-fed: armed, uniformed persuaders)
--the only workable remedy is, making that 'Life' as brief as can be arranged.
Are we there yet? (And given, as sloppy as Are most physics-type Nemeses? it could well be another case of that rollicking National Anthem:)

We They Will All Go Together When We They Go... {{oblig. C-trumpet ƒanfare}}
...sadly too, the Good+Bad+Ugly, as random-chance ever handles any such triage. :-/

Perspective, then: Today Israel is united before 3 young-bearing Caskets; doubtless [n x 3]3 of stand-ins for the perps Shall ensue. 100% sure-Bet?
(As to how many Murican women shall die-by-coathanger next? as the nut-jobs who fuel the Xian-Fire within the Five proceed, emboldened:
just where Do? concepts like legality/compassion/'morality'? enter into simple-Boolean-minds -vs- Reasonable-minds?)

(Golly-gee: let's just spin that Roulette-wheel of homo-sap jelloware ... and See! say I.)

Almost PS: Jerry Brown, just now on PBS/News, saying to interviewer:
[Q] "What kind of Democrat are you?"
[A] "I'm an independent-Democrat ... a thinking-Democrat, and ... ..."

(For the Win?)

Methinks we Are there ... by now, (and given where the Power lies -vs- where Reason cowers, lest she be raped again:)
It's creepy Out There, especially when you think well about our pre-programmed futchah--and Who? is doing the programming.
Ronnie's trickle-down Lie + bin-Laden's 100% Success + the 0.01 and esp. 0.001% (For the Lose?)
(Oh, and: one need not be a nihilist, I wot, merely to face sanely: the presence of an Untenable Situation.
I advocate nothing (nor even, Nothingness.). My 'wish' is for Something-ness to be won-back: soon enough to survive. Or we shall see: both.

Sic Transit ... (there was damn-little Gloria in past decades anyway, many and I opine.)
     'When SCOTUS still fixed things: What America looked like before the Warren Court' - (Ashton) - (18)
         Today may be another bad day for decisions... - (Another Scott) - (8)
             On the other hand ... - (drook)
             the ruling at least was narrow and it was congress's fault - (boxley)
             Charlle Pierce is on it.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Linky - (drook) - (4)
                     (I added a couple pix to above) ;^> Saves words. -NT - (Ashton)
                     RedState had an interesting article. - (folkert) - (2)
                         I meant the Harris case - (drook)
                         'There’s nothing stopping anyone from purchasing birth control in this decision.' - (Ashton)
         Corporations are People for REALS... - (folkert) - (5)
             Time to invent a religion ... - (drook) - (4)
                 can I has my pimento cheeze on a steak sammich? -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Time to invent a religion ... - (folkert)
                 Sure hope nobody working for a company owned by Jehovah's Witnesses requires a blood transfusion. -NT - (folkert)
                 'Love Everybody (except Antarcticans)' ... was tried.. - (Ashton)
         Ginsburg excoriates the Repo mafia on Hobby Lobby - (Ashton) - (2)
             Her dissent is a good read. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Quite right, that last. Well.. in other corporate/totalitarian countries, - (Ashton)

Any more than we can resent a dog licking its own testicles.
156 ms