IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sure I do.
The building and infrastructure spending would likely pass without a hitch. Might even get a 100% vote. IIRC...that was about half of the bill. They may throw a bit of debate in, its politics after all...but it wouldn't have gotten the same response as the original bill.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure...
http://www.nationalm...wsroom-010809.php

[...]

Bill Line, spokesman for the National Park Service, which maintains the Mall, likes to say it has been "loved to death," an American treasure battered by 25 million visitors a year -- more than Yosemite and Yellowstone national parks and the Grand Canyon combined. As the crowds have grown, the budget has shrunk, and with $350 million in overdue care, the park service cannot maintain a standard that befits what many consider a national jewel.

[...]

This cherished view, inspired by the wide streets of Paris, is protected by an act of Congress. But lately Congress has been blind to the Mall's poverty. The park service budget has dwindled to $31 million, even as more attractions bring relentless wear and tear. A $100-million appropriation for repairs failed to pass last year.

[...]

Bill, you're dreaming if you think that infrastructure spending would be supported by the remaining rump of the Republican party. Their actions say otherwise.

http://blogs.abcnews...se-dems-stri.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure...
In a fairly limited sense.

Didn't see them screaming about bridges and roads did you?
New Some of them screamed about everything, at various points.
http://tpmdc.talking...erican-people.php

The stimulus bill that is being championed by President Obama, which was passed by Democrats in the House last night, is the worst piece of economic legislation Congress has considered in a hundred years. Not since the passage in 1909 of the 16th Amendment - which cleared the way for a federal income tax - has the United States seriously entertained a policy so comprehensively hostile to economic freedom, nor so arrogantly indifferent to economic reality. ...

This bill is not a stimulus, ladies and gentlemen; it is a mugging. It is a fraud.

http://www.humaneven...icle.php?id=30399

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) is working on a real stimulus plan for the economy. The DeMint Plan is similar to a plan rolled out by The Heritage Foundation: Keep in place the tax rate reductions scheduled to expire in 2011 and lower marginal tax rates across the board on individuals, small business and corporations.

According to DeMint, his stimulus package will “call for a 10-percentage-point cut in the top rate (from 35 percent to 25 percent)” and other rate cuts. DeMint explains that “these tax cuts would soften the recession and expedite the recovery to the tune of 500,000 new jobs in 2009 and 1 million new jobs in 2010 and surpass by 2012 the president’s stated goal of 3.5 million new jobs.”

And a flying pony for every good girl and boy!

Cheers,
Scott.
New His plan was garbage too
but his criticism of the one in play was pretty spot on. Money spent now is emergency stimulus. Putting "long term investment" projects in that bill is pork.
New You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text again.
New Re: You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text aga
So we can see what got written instead of what was promised?
New Eh?
http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=print

[...]

This is the journey we continue today. We remain the most prosperous, powerful nation on Earth. Our workers are no less productive than when this crisis began. Our minds are no less inventive, our goods and services no less needed than they were last week or last month or last year. Our capacity remains undiminished. But our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions -- that time has surely passed.

Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.

(APPLAUSE)

For everywhere we look, there is work to be done.

The state of our economy calls for action: bold and swift. And we will act not only to create new jobs but to lay a new foundation for growth.

We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.

We will restore science to its rightful place and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality...

(APPLAUSE)

... and lower its costs.

We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.

All this we can do. All this we will do.

Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions, who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short, for they have forgotten what this country has already done, what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose and necessity to courage.

What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them, that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long, no longer apply.

MR. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works, whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.

Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end.

[...]

It was never sold as "just" a stimulus package by Obama. He's been exceedingly clear about this.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 75% spend within 18 months.
They're not even at 50 last I heard.
New More words, please.
Who are you criticizing for supposedly promising something that isn't in the Economic Recovery Act proposals? Please be specific about your criticism. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: More words, please.
http://whitehouse2.o...onths/discussions
New :-)
New That's a number proposed by a citizen on a web page.
What did he actually say?

January 3:
http://change.gov/ne...and_reinvestment/

That’s why we need an American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan that not only creates jobs in the short-term but spurs economic growth and competitiveness in the long-term. And this plan must be designed in a new way—we can’t just fall into the old Washington habit of throwing money at the problem. We must make strategic investments that will serve as a down payment on our long-term economic future. We must demand vigorous oversight and strict accountability for achieving results. And we must restore fiscal responsibility and make the tough choices so that as the economy recovers, the deficit starts to come down. That is how we will achieve the number one goal of my plan—which is to create three million new jobs, more than eighty percent of them in the private sector.

Yes, Obama "endorsed" that 75% figure. But let's see what else he said:
http://www.whitehous...etrics_report.pdf

In light of this historic economic weakness, President Obama is working with Congress to enact an American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan, a nationwide effort to create jobs and transform our economy to compete in the 21st century. The plan invests in clean energy, health care, education and infrastructure; cuts taxes for American families and businesses; and helps protect the most vulnerable families from economic harm during the recession. This plan will also break from conventional Washington approaches to spending by ensuring that public dollars are invested effectively and that the economy recovery package is fully transparent and accountable to the American people. Overall, the plan will:

• Create or save 3 to 4 million jobs over the next two years. Independent analyses by Macroeconomic Advisers and Economy.com have confirmed that the recovery plan will meet this job goal. Jobs created will be in a range of industries from clean energy to health care, with over 90% in the private sector.

• Spend out at least 75% of the package in the first 18 months after passage. By including major fast-spending provisions like tax cuts for middle class families, measures to avoid state health care cuts, and temporary expansions of unemployment insurance, food stamps and health care for unemployed workers, the package will spend out at least 75% of its total commitment within the first 18 months after passage. The Administration will work with Congress to refine this package to ensure that it meets this 75% goal.

It's a goal, not a "promise". HTH!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for weasel wording for him.
New Thought the weasel was the Patron Saint of Reactionaries :-0
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
-- H.L. Mencken
New Right, again
"not a soul would question ..."

"They may throw a bit of debate in, its politics after all."

Please define "question" and "debate".
--

Drew
     gore is in DC again - (boxley) - (79)
         Re: gore is in DC again - (beepster) - (78)
             Nah! Other states would parrot California. - (a6l6e6x)
             disagree california is the 8th largest economy in the world - (boxley)
             you can't really believe this - (rcareaga) - (75)
                 What's not to believe - (beepster) - (74)
                     You apparently don't understand the law in this case. - (Another Scott) - (70)
                         I understand. - (beepster) - (69)
                             If wishes were horses... - (Another Scott) - (61)
                                 Settled law is only settled until its changed. - (beepster) - (60)
                                     So everything not prohibited should be required? -NT - (drook) - (59)
                                         ? - (beepster) - (58)
                                             Don't know what point you were trying to make - (drook) - (57)
                                                 Lead - (beepster) - (5)
                                                     Now: two standards; future: two standards - no fragmentation -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Not how it works - (beepster) - (3)
                                                             "Similar Legislation" != "Similar Standards" - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                 Of course I am -NT - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                     The obdurate path is never an easy one.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Les'see - where does BeeP usually stand on "State's Rights"? - (CRConrad) - (50)
                                                     National versus State versus Local - (beepster) - (48)
                                                         But with gas, don't we *need* different formulations? - (drook) - (8)
                                                             That's what I'm saying - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                 Okay - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     sigh - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                         Not invention, logical extension -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                                                             Who's logic? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                 Power comes from the # of dollars, not the margins. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     I don't think so - (beepster)
                                                                     part of the problem we had in atlanta was the lack of - (boxley)
                                                         Didn't hear you harping on Bush for this, though. - (CRConrad) - (38)
                                                             sigh redux -NT - (beepster) - (37)
                                                                 Yes, I guess sigh is all you can do - not having any answer. -NT - (CRConrad) - (36)
                                                                     Sure I have one - (beepster) - (35)
                                                                         Here's the problem with the way you present your agruments - (drook) - (34)
                                                                             But I think his point is... - (folkert)
                                                                             Bwah ha ha ha - (beepster) - (32)
                                                                                 You're conflating things again... - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                     Am I. - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                                         the stimulus to you and I was not a mistake - (boxley)
                                                                                         Black or white, again ... strawman much? - (drook) - (5)
                                                                                             Excuse me? - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                 What did you mean by strings, then? - (drook) - (3)
                                                                                                     Your point? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                         Thought it was obvious, but okay - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                                             Block grants happen all the time - (beepster)
                                                                                         Year by year, you sound more and more like... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                 That's not a problem with government per se - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                     Double edge on healthcare. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                         get rid of the last 8 months of life would slice our - (boxley)
                                                                                 Wait, Greg was right, that *is* your point? - (drook) - (18)
                                                                                     Can't or won't? - (beepster) - (17)
                                                                                         Right - (drook) - (16)
                                                                                             Sure I do. - (beepster) - (15)
                                                                                                 Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                                                     Re: Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure... - (beepster) - (12)
                                                                                                         Some of them screamed about everything, at various points. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                                             His plan was garbage too - (beepster) - (10)
                                                                                                                 You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text again. -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                                                     Re: You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text aga - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                                                                         Eh? - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                                                                             75% spend within 18 months. - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                                                                 More words, please. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                                                                                     Re: More words, please. - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                                                         :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                                                         That's a number proposed by a citizen on a web page. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Thanks for weasel wording for him. -NT - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Thought the weasel was the Patron Saint of Reactionaries :-0 -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Right, again - (drook)
                                                     Now, now -- it's hard to be an Ayn-Marxist - (Ashton)
                             There should be a number of gasoline mixes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                 and grousing from buyers - (beepster)
                                 You're talking about practical reasons for different mixes. - (static)
                                 hows that groundwater poisoning working out? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Stupidity re chemistry goes with general dumbth. Move, then? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         dont let science and mtbe get in your way -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Don't let snide intransigence get in yours :-0 -NT - (Ashton)
                     You're aware that the "boutique" fuel problem was addressed? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         That can't be true - (drook) - (1)
                             and... *AND* - (folkert)

When we check it out dem a brain it small. Seven time rise seven time will fall.
215 ms