IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's what I'm saying
the number now creates false shortages etc...
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Okay
So based on your posting history -- and no, I'm not going to go find specific examples -- you think that in the absence of regulation dictating otherwise, businesses will tend toward behavior that will generally be good for the economy. And that government regulation can be driven more by ideology than economic theory, and therefore will tend to be bad for the economy.

Any problems so far?

So, you're saying that the fuel shortages were entirely due to the regulation? And it's a coincidence that gas companies just so happened to be booking record profits at the same time? And this is completely unlike the artificial power shortages in California?

Just trying to understand your position.
--

Drew
New sigh
if you want to continue to invent my arguments, there's little need for me to be here.
New Not invention, logical extension
--

Drew
New Who's logic?
Businesses will tend towards whats best for the business. Not absolute. In many cases that will also tend to be good for the economy.

Don't think I mentioned anything about environmental law being led solely by ideology, though this latest religion called climate change is approaching that level.

Just to throw a wrench in your works...it seems largely forgotten that I ended up in these forums oh so many moons ago advocating FOR further regulation and breakup of Microsoft.

And you should know better than to throw that "record profits" nonsense around. I don't here anyone complaining about ArcelorMittal or IBM et al who had higher margins than the oil business. The numbers are bigger than everyone else's because they are the largest companies in the world.
New Power comes from the # of dollars, not the margins.
It isn't the profit margin that gets people riled up about the oil company profits, its the number of dollars. You know that. The large bank account balances give them the power (whether they use it at the moment (or ever) or not) to: buy up competitors; buy up promising technology and sit on it; buy up mineral leases that competitors might use to bring products to market faster than they might choose to do; buy up advertising to sway public opinion; contribute to political organizations, parties, and candidates' favorite causes; etc., etc.

MS got to be powerful because it had a large bank account, not because they had (say) a 60% profit margin. It's not the margins that matter. If XOM is making huge profits because they're a huge company, well maybe they shouldn't be quite so big. They were split up once already, for very good reasons....

Comparing ExxonMobil's profits to some company that has a much higher margin misses the point.

/soapbox.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I don't think so
There are still 5 to 6 real players in the oil business, the size factor gives a certain amount of power, but GE also made a higher margin and is right up there in size. Size is necessary in that business..what small business can leverage and put a dozen mobile rigs out in the ocean at a cost of 300-400million per that have a real chance of not paying back?

Oil makes a nice target because its a one game industry and everybody needs it. Same as people bitch when their electric bill goes up.

New part of the problem we had in atlanta was the lack of
botique gas, we had to get a federal excemption the alleviated the situation a little bit
     gore is in DC again - (boxley) - (79)
         Re: gore is in DC again - (beepster) - (78)
             Nah! Other states would parrot California. - (a6l6e6x)
             disagree california is the 8th largest economy in the world - (boxley)
             you can't really believe this - (rcareaga) - (75)
                 What's not to believe - (beepster) - (74)
                     You apparently don't understand the law in this case. - (Another Scott) - (70)
                         I understand. - (beepster) - (69)
                             If wishes were horses... - (Another Scott) - (61)
                                 Settled law is only settled until its changed. - (beepster) - (60)
                                     So everything not prohibited should be required? -NT - (drook) - (59)
                                         ? - (beepster) - (58)
                                             Don't know what point you were trying to make - (drook) - (57)
                                                 Lead - (beepster) - (5)
                                                     Now: two standards; future: two standards - no fragmentation -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Not how it works - (beepster) - (3)
                                                             "Similar Legislation" != "Similar Standards" - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                 Of course I am -NT - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                     The obdurate path is never an easy one.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Les'see - where does BeeP usually stand on "State's Rights"? - (CRConrad) - (50)
                                                     National versus State versus Local - (beepster) - (48)
                                                         But with gas, don't we *need* different formulations? - (drook) - (8)
                                                             That's what I'm saying - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                 Okay - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     sigh - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                         Not invention, logical extension -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                                                             Who's logic? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                 Power comes from the # of dollars, not the margins. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                     I don't think so - (beepster)
                                                                     part of the problem we had in atlanta was the lack of - (boxley)
                                                         Didn't hear you harping on Bush for this, though. - (CRConrad) - (38)
                                                             sigh redux -NT - (beepster) - (37)
                                                                 Yes, I guess sigh is all you can do - not having any answer. -NT - (CRConrad) - (36)
                                                                     Sure I have one - (beepster) - (35)
                                                                         Here's the problem with the way you present your agruments - (drook) - (34)
                                                                             But I think his point is... - (folkert)
                                                                             Bwah ha ha ha - (beepster) - (32)
                                                                                 You're conflating things again... - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                     Am I. - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                                         the stimulus to you and I was not a mistake - (boxley)
                                                                                         Black or white, again ... strawman much? - (drook) - (5)
                                                                                             Excuse me? - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                 What did you mean by strings, then? - (drook) - (3)
                                                                                                     Your point? - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                         Thought it was obvious, but okay - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                                             Block grants happen all the time - (beepster)
                                                                                         Year by year, you sound more and more like... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                 That's not a problem with government per se - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                     Double edge on healthcare. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                         get rid of the last 8 months of life would slice our - (boxley)
                                                                                 Wait, Greg was right, that *is* your point? - (drook) - (18)
                                                                                     Can't or won't? - (beepster) - (17)
                                                                                         Right - (drook) - (16)
                                                                                             Sure I do. - (beepster) - (15)
                                                                                                 Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                                                     Re: Repairing the National Mall is infrastructure... - (beepster) - (12)
                                                                                                         Some of them screamed about everything, at various points. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                                             His plan was garbage too - (beepster) - (10)
                                                                                                                 You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text again. -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                                                     Re: You're not paying attention. See HR 1 preamble text aga - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                                                                         Eh? - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                                                                             75% spend within 18 months. - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                                                                 More words, please. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                                                                                     Re: More words, please. - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                                                         :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                                                                         That's a number proposed by a citizen on a web page. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Thanks for weasel wording for him. -NT - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Thought the weasel was the Patron Saint of Reactionaries :-0 -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Right, again - (drook)
                                                     Now, now -- it's hard to be an Ayn-Marxist - (Ashton)
                             There should be a number of gasoline mixes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                 and grousing from buyers - (beepster)
                                 You're talking about practical reasons for different mixes. - (static)
                                 hows that groundwater poisoning working out? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Stupidity re chemistry goes with general dumbth. Move, then? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         dont let science and mtbe get in your way -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Don't let snide intransigence get in yours :-0 -NT - (Ashton)
                     You're aware that the "boutique" fuel problem was addressed? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         That can't be true - (drook) - (1)
                             and... *AND* - (folkert)

Department of Redundancy Department
99 ms