IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK, seriously.

What the hell does this have to do with the original quote? If someone launches an attack on Roman Catholicism, and someone else responds by pointing out flaws in the criticism, why do you think the respondent is under any sort of obligation to talk about other faiths? Here's how this apparently goes in your world:

\r\n\r\n
\r\n

Critic: Yar, the Church is stupid because of foo and bar.

\r\n

Chesterton: Actually, the Church never made claims about foo, and bar strengthens the Church's position more than yours.

\r\n

You: Ah-HA! You didn't mention Zoroastrianism in your defense of the Church! You lose!

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

WTF, mate?

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
\r\n[link|http://www.shtuff.us/|shtuff]
New The church was not strengthened, it was weakened less.
It is not much of an argument to say that catholicism was better than fascism or imperialism because much less mud stuck to it. Other philosophies became automatically better. An obvious conclusion leading to an obvious question, which the author should have addressed if he wanted to maintain that catholicism is still better.

After all, the statement "I'm a multimillionaire" can be automatically dismissed as delusional if I fail to address the obvious question "So, why do you work as a computer programmer?"
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New I see.

Let me try it this way. First I'll take a small quote from one of your posts:

\r\n\r\n

After all, the statement "I'm a multimillionaire" can be automatically dismissed as delusional if I fail to address the obvious question "So, why do you work as a computer programmer?"\r\n

\r\n\r\n

Now, I must say that I'm disappointed in you; this quote, which constitutes one part of one post out of the many that you've written, does not comprehensively and specifically address each and every philosophy which has ever existed among humanity or which might ever exist at some point in the future, and therefore I find you ideologically blinkered and intellectually without merit. You really ought to do better if you hope ever to convince anyone.

New More illustrative example
Suppose you met someone at a party who said "You've heard me. Yes, I am a burglar but I'm nowhere near as bad as the guy you just avoided." Being less immoral than someone else is not a convincing argument. Such a person need not compare himself to every individual in the room, just state some general, comparative, redeeming feature to suggest it's better to talk to him then the other strangers. Anything positive, such as "These guys don't hear half the stories I hear!", might be a start.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New You still don't get it.

My reason for posting the quote in the first place was not to provide a comprehensive argument which establishes the moral superiority of the Catholic Church, yet you persist in assuming this. The reason was to point out in humorous fashion the irony and contradiction of a common argument against the Church, something which appears to have been entirely lost on you.

Vatican 'to ban new gay priests' - (warmachine) - (57)
         Little difference . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             'Damn you, jams! You said honor wasn't LIKE pie!' -NT - (Ashton)
         A simple ploy to shift blame from priests to gay people. -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
             exactly pedophiles attack both sexes - (boxley)
         ObLRPD: Relax... you're quite safe here. -NT - (admin) - (10)
             To be in England, in the summertime... close to the edge. -NT - (Ashton) - (9)
                 The next steps I'm real fuzzy on. -NT - (Meerkat) - (8)
                     Yeah, *that's* a perfectly valid reason... -NT - (admin) - (7)
                         Must have been the broomberg effect. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                             None of that ersatz churning someother dairies get away with -NT - (Ashton) - (5)
                                 You tread on my patience -NT - (jb4) - (4)
                                     Fun is fun to have. -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         Interstate Face Stab -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                         You don't get syphilis that way. -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                             In case of the cool beverage, the insulative effect - (Ashton)
         Comments from an insider - (ubernostrum) - (41)
             I don't know about 'fashionable' - (Ashton) - (39)
                 G.K. Chesterton: - (ubernostrum) - (38)
                     Yes, it is a silly place we inhabit - (Ashton)
                     So much for the Age of Enlightenment - (warmachine) - (34)
                         Best model for this behaviour I've heard - (Ashton)
                         No... - (ubernostrum) - (32)
                             I guess religion is doomed then. (Sorry.) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Well. - (ubernostrum)
                             The quotation mentions the church, not god. - (warmachine) - (20)
                                 The quotation says - (ubernostrum) - (19)
                                     Read it again. Still mentions church, not god. - (warmachine) - (18)
                                         Nothing whatsoever to do with moral guidance - (ubernostrum) - (17)
                                             A reasonable argument if only one religion existed - (warmachine) - (16)
                                                 so humanism is a religion? Even the secular branch? - (boxley) - (8)
                                                     Fulfils the same functions without the supernatural ****. - (warmachine)
                                                     Who has denied it? - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                         those that practice it in the classroom deny its a religion -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Which of *us* does that? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                 one of you, as in one of you secular humanists - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     Interesting use of code words there - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                         my what a giant code word in your eye - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Sorry... - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Ah, so you're taking it as a dilemma - (ubernostrum) - (6)
                                                     Wot, no philosophies that aren't to blame? - (warmachine) - (5)
                                                         OK, seriously. - (ubernostrum) - (4)
                                                             The church was not strengthened, it was weakened less. - (warmachine) - (3)
                                                                 I see. - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                                                     More illustrative example - (warmachine) - (1)
                                                                         You still don't get it. - (ubernostrum)
                             Skip this...go to next post. Goofed! -NT - (imqwerky)
                             Original Sin: "I poked a badger with a spoon!" - (imqwerky) - (7)
                                 Eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Dunno about that 'Celebration' - (Ashton)
                                 Yes, he'd have retrofitted nastier DNA changes. - (warmachine) - (4)
                                     you still have no understanding of Job - (boxley) - (3)
                                         "About" "What" "Really" "Happened" sez it all; it's a FABLE! -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             that much sex and violence? prolly fact based -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 {chortle} - ya Got moi! -NT - (Ashton)
                     Let's look at a more complete excerpt. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         But not complete-enough? - (Ashton)
             Shouldn't you write "It's a pack of lies!"? -NT - (warmachine)

I am LRPD of Borg. Refreshing is useless. You will be addicted.
132 ms