IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why doesn't anyone else notice?
I find it telling that attendance at bars goes up after smoking bans are passed.
If this is in fact true, you don't need a ban. Simply point this fact out to bar owners and they'll go smoke-free voluntarily.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Because that doesn't work
When one bar issues a smoke ban, all of the smokers go elsewhere and non-smokers don't show up because they don't realize that it is going to be smoke free. Besides if someone goes to bars to hang out with friends, the loss of the smokers is likely to make that person move.

When all of the bars around go smoke free, smokers don't have elsewhere to go and non-smokers learn to expect no smoke. Smokers who went to bars before continue doing so. And non-smokers start showing up so attendance rises.

This is one of those counter-intuitive social network effects where one member doing something gives the opposite effect from everyone doing that.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New So who cares more?
Besides if someone goes to bars to hang out with friends, the loss of the smokers is likely to make that person move.
Why don't the smokers miss the company of their non-smoking friends? If non-smokers are more willing to go to smoking bars than smokers are to go to non-smoking bars, it sounds like people have already voted.

Turn it around. What if everyplace was non-smoking and one bar started to allow it. Would smokers not go because their non-smoking friends wouldn't go? Who knows.

And of course the whole "business goes up" argument assumes that better business is the only consideration. If I want to allow smoking in my home, I am (currently) free to allow that. If I own a bar I should have that same right. I should also have the right to not allow it.

Personally I prefer no smoke But even Scott voted for smoke rather than give up a silly little game.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: So who cares more?
The issue here is that, as with drunk driving and for the very same reason, the statistics are cooked and the real motive disguised behind flowery, touchy-feely, crotch-rot language.
-drl
New Because a critical group is invisible
People who would go to non-smoking bars but would not go to smoking ones. Given that bars are all smoking, they do not go to bars. Smokers who are part of the bar scene won't make friends of these people there because these people aren't there. Bartenders are unaware of these people since they aren't at the bar. They are an unknown audience that nobody knows how to estimate.

However the increase in attendance after smoking bans are put in place suggests that this group of people should not be discounted.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Ah, that invisible opportunity cost.
[link|http://www.economist.com/research/Economics/alphabetic.cfm?LETTER=O&CFID=31583154&CFTOKEN=2c33db6-0733b200-1bf0-4951-aa0c-74633fc72a45#OPPORTUNITY%20COST|Opportunity cost].
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New Re: Because a critical group is invisible
This isn't true - there are places that are known for having a "upscale" atmosphere and at these places you won't see excessive smoking - it being out of line with the narcissist ethos. You can smoke here but people do it outside or in the pool room or the like.
-drl
New Really?
Around here?

Nope. All the bars smell like smoke pits.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Really?
Like certain cigar bars in Clayton Missouri.
-drl
New I don't live there.
You're generalizing from specific instances. Without exception every bar I've been to has been a smoky mess.

I'd go much more often if there weren't smoking in bars. And I tip well. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: I don't live there.
I was never outtipped by a Yankee :)
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter July 6, 2004, 08:34:28 PM EDT
New High side of 20%...
If they do a good job.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New $5 for two beers
Sunday.
-drl
New That won't buy one at ballgame.
     Et tu, Brute - (deSitter) - (61)
         We've argued this one before - (ben_tilly) - (45)
             Re: We've argued this one before - (deSitter) - (30)
                 The problem is the employees. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     lets use that employee argument in another industry - (boxley) - (13)
                         OSHA on autobody spray painting. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                             I thought you were whining about employees? - (boxley) - (11)
                                 Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                     not in my bar it dont. - (boxley) - (2)
                                         That's why 2/3rds of the population stays out of bars. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                             And they're free to do that ... or open their own bars -NT - (drewk)
                                 Good catch. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     the process in a bar - (boxley) - (5)
                                         Now you're redirecting. Employees are doing 1 and 2? -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             Never worked at a bar, I see -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                 I did, briefly. <hack, cough> Not many tips for 1, 2 though. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Dude, that *is* the tip -NT - (drewk)
                                             ya wanna get some regular, work at a bar -NT - (boxley)
                 The state giveth, the state taketh away - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                     60 Minutes story on eminent domain - (lister) - (7)
                         Pah, Mike Wallace. - (admin) - (6)
                             Wasn't that something that came up at the party? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 (Nothing to see. (Thanks)). -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     I don't know how that happened - (ben_tilly)
                                 Mine. -NT - (admin)
                             Explain -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 Re: Explain - (admin)
                     You have no problem with government ownership of everything? - (imric) - (5)
                         You got it - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Excuse me? - (imric) - (3)
                                 You'd be an example of someone who feels differently - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     And now - (imric) - (1)
                                         Prepare your residence for quartering -NT - (ChrisR)
             Why doesn't anyone else notice? - (drewk) - (13)
                 Because that doesn't work - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                     So who cares more? - (drewk) - (11)
                         Re: So who cares more? - (deSitter)
                         Because a critical group is invisible - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                             Ah, that invisible opportunity cost. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Re: Because a critical group is invisible - (deSitter) - (7)
                                 Really? - (admin) - (6)
                                     Re: Really? - (deSitter) - (5)
                                         I don't live there. - (admin) - (4)
                                             Re: I don't live there. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 High side of 20%... - (admin) - (2)
                                                     $5 for two beers - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         That won't buy one at ballgame. -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Horribly overboard - (JayMehaffey)
         Tough luck - (lister) - (10)
             A-friggin'-men. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                 "A-friggin'-men." - it's the new MeToo! (tm) - (Meerkat) - (8)
                     Here in Kingston, Ontario - (jake123) - (7)
                         Hasten the old folks to the grave - (lister) - (6)
                             Re: parents who smoke in front of their kids - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                 My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot. - (deSitter)
                                     Another recent Aeroflot story. - (Another Scott)
                                 Smoking & non-smoking sections on airplanes - (StevenYap) - (1)
                                     Now don't start getting all logical on us... -NT - (Another Scott)
         I see what you posted - (orion)
         Bloomington (MN) Bans Smoking - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             I'm sure we can go for !00% Sin-free, next. -NT - (Ashton)

And if you do find me there, you won't be able to afford me.
260 ms