IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tough luck
We've now got a city wide smoking ban in restaurants, bars, billiard halls, bingo halls, etc. here in Toronto and it's about time! Smokers can kiss my ass! If they want pollute themselves in the privacy of their own homes that's fine with me but not when it comes to public places even if they're private public places but their "right" to smoke ends at my eyes, nose, lungs and clothes. Gah what a disgusting habit!

Actually I should mention that smoking is still allowed on patio's and in designated smoking rooms though the latter will likely disappear in the next few years.
lister
New A-friggin'-men.
New "A-friggin'-men." - it's the new MeToo! (tm)
But hey, Me Too!

So far in Sydney smoking is banned in public (ie government) buildings, workplaces, public transport, and restaurants or any 'eating place'. Not yet banned in pubs and clubs, except the areas in which they serve food of course. Full list of places and regulations and so forth in [link|http://www.nswcc.org.au/html/prevention/smoking_tobacco/downloads/fact_smokefreensw.pdf|this PDF].

I recently went to see a band in a smoke-free venue, the difference was amazing. For a start, you could actually see th band. The only downside was that when I got home I felt like I hadn't been out, as my clothes didn't reek of cigarette smoke...
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Here in Kingston, Ontario
we've got the strongest anti-smoking law of any city in Canada. No smoking in bars, restaurants, etc, not even on patios. The only place you can still smoke is in bingo halls for some reason.

I've smoked from 18, but I like the bars better too now that they're non-smoking.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Hasten the old folks to the grave
How many young'uns you see playing bingo? Oh let 'em die *HACK* *HACK* in peace.

I have to find out if or when the patio ban kicks in. Hopefully next summer...

What really floors me is parents who smoke in front of their kids especially in their cars where the kids are a captive audience. That's just plain thoughtless lazy stupidity.
lister
New Re: parents who smoke in front of their kids
The worst flight in my life was in a smoking section of an Olympic Airlines flight from Athens, Greece to NYC. My wife and I were in the smoking section because that was the only thing available. Parents traveling with kids who had seats in the non-smoking section came to stand and smoke by our seats. And that's not just a couple of people. Talk about adding insult to injury!
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot.
They flew to Ireland and Aeroflot was cheapest.

Their seats were in the No Smoking section. Make that, their seats were the No Smoking section. =(

To hear them tell it, it was quite an unpleasant - there was something under the floor that was very hot (something's wrong with the plane!), the Russian businessmen passengers were drinking and smoking and singing or talking very loud the entire flight, and the only thing passed out by the crew to drink was liquor (they didn't have soft drinks!).

The flight back was worse as the flight was delayed by the crew trying to round up the drunken passengers from the airport bar...

So remember, it can always be worse. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot.
No smoker minds not having smoking on the airplane. Again, this is a matter of blankets bans in privately owned property.

Of course anyone who wants to open a smoking-permitted airline, should be allowed to.
-drl
New Another recent Aeroflot story.
[link|http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-passenger-assaulted,0,7277369.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines|Newsday] - the URL will change:

July 20, 2004, 9:41 AM EDT

MOSCOW -- Drunken passengers often give air crews trouble, but Russia's leading airline on Tuesday reported an "unprecedented" reversal: A passenger was assaulted by intoxicated flight attendants.

Two crew members on a domestic Aeroflot flight beat up a passenger who had complained that the flight attendants were drunk, airline spokeswoman Irina Dannenberg said.

The passenger, identified only as A. Chernopup, was aboard a recent flight from Moscow to the Siberian city of Nizhnevartovsk, Dannenberg said. She said the crew belonged to another airline, Aviaenergo.

Seeing that the crew were intoxicated and were not fulfilling their duties, Chernopup asked to be served by a sober and competent flight attendant, Dannenberg said. He was then beaten up by crew members.

On Russian flights, attendants often have to struggle to keep intoxicated passengers under control. But on this flight, Dannenberg said, flight attendants were so intoxicated that they "behaved improperly" and only began catering to passengers 1 1/2 hours into the four-hour trip.

The daily Izvestia quoted another passenger as saying that half of the food the crew served ended up on the floor, leaving the aisle strewn with debris that passengers had to walk over as they disembarked.

According to the passenger, Chernopup left the plane with a black eye and was promptly sent to a doctor. Izvestia also reported that a criminal case was opened after Chernopup reported the incident to the police.

Dannenberg said that the plane was carrying out an Aeroflot flight, but both the aircraft and the crew belonged to Aviaenergo. Aeroflot has been contracting out from Aviaenergo since August 2003, but the incident prompted it to tighten control over Aviaenergo's staff, she said.

The entire crew of the flight has been temporarily dismissed and a joint commission is investigating the incident, Dannenberg said.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Smoking & non-smoking sections on airplanes
The worst flight in my life was in a smoking section of an Olympic Airlines flight from Athens, Greece to NYC.
\r\n\r\nHow the heck do you have smoking and non-smoking sections on a plane without using separate ventilation systems, and air locks between the sections?\r\n
New Now don't start getting all logical on us...
     Et tu, Brute - (deSitter) - (61)
         We've argued this one before - (ben_tilly) - (45)
             Re: We've argued this one before - (deSitter) - (30)
                 The problem is the employees. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                     lets use that employee argument in another industry - (boxley) - (13)
                         OSHA on autobody spray painting. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                             I thought you were whining about employees? - (boxley) - (11)
                                 Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                     not in my bar it dont. - (boxley) - (2)
                                         That's why 2/3rds of the population stays out of bars. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                             And they're free to do that ... or open their own bars -NT - (drewk)
                                 Good catch. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     the process in a bar - (boxley) - (5)
                                         Now you're redirecting. Employees are doing 1 and 2? -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             Never worked at a bar, I see -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                 I did, briefly. <hack, cough> Not many tips for 1, 2 though. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Dude, that *is* the tip -NT - (drewk)
                                             ya wanna get some regular, work at a bar -NT - (boxley)
                 The state giveth, the state taketh away - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                     60 Minutes story on eminent domain - (lister) - (7)
                         Pah, Mike Wallace. - (admin) - (6)
                             Wasn't that something that came up at the party? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 (Nothing to see. (Thanks)). -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     I don't know how that happened - (ben_tilly)
                                 Mine. -NT - (admin)
                             Explain -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 Re: Explain - (admin)
                     You have no problem with government ownership of everything? - (imric) - (5)
                         You got it - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Excuse me? - (imric) - (3)
                                 You'd be an example of someone who feels differently - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     And now - (imric) - (1)
                                         Prepare your residence for quartering -NT - (ChrisR)
             Why doesn't anyone else notice? - (drewk) - (13)
                 Because that doesn't work - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                     So who cares more? - (drewk) - (11)
                         Re: So who cares more? - (deSitter)
                         Because a critical group is invisible - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                             Ah, that invisible opportunity cost. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Re: Because a critical group is invisible - (deSitter) - (7)
                                 Really? - (admin) - (6)
                                     Re: Really? - (deSitter) - (5)
                                         I don't live there. - (admin) - (4)
                                             Re: I don't live there. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                 High side of 20%... - (admin) - (2)
                                                     $5 for two beers - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         That won't buy one at ballgame. -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Horribly overboard - (JayMehaffey)
         Tough luck - (lister) - (10)
             A-friggin'-men. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                 "A-friggin'-men." - it's the new MeToo! (tm) - (Meerkat) - (8)
                     Here in Kingston, Ontario - (jake123) - (7)
                         Hasten the old folks to the grave - (lister) - (6)
                             Re: parents who smoke in front of their kids - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                 My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Re: My wife and SIL had non smoking seats on Aeroflot. - (deSitter)
                                     Another recent Aeroflot story. - (Another Scott)
                                 Smoking & non-smoking sections on airplanes - (StevenYap) - (1)
                                     Now don't start getting all logical on us... -NT - (Another Scott)
         I see what you posted - (orion)
         Bloomington (MN) Bans Smoking - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             I'm sure we can go for !00% Sin-free, next. -NT - (Ashton)

Better get a sitter for the kids and spend our waning hours dry-humping amongst a bunch of stalagtites.
307 ms