IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gad, what a list!
Chris Wright? Addison Laurent? Craig Cottingham? Brandioch? Steve O'Connor? Jason Alexander? Mark Nordblom? Yaz? Neel Kris(mumble)? Ric Locke? Rob Nelson? John Stainbeck? Wade Bowmer? Papa Joe? Phil Kust?

Man, I remember (and miss) just about the whole lot!

Damn, I'm getting old!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New Re:Damn, I'm getting old!
The alternative sucks...

but I don't remember who told me...
New I did not realize we lost that many... Sad list indeed.
I do remember them all, but most of them went quietly - just stopped posting, that's it. Hurts to see those names together.
--

...what happened to intelligence of this country?
-- Sen. Kerry.
Expand Edited by Arkadiy March 10, 2004, 06:12:35 PM EST
New aye, it does hurt.
-----
Steve
New The LRPD brings some back, e.g. MHuber. :-(
New bkosse. :(
New was hoping that one wouldn't come up >:(
-----
Steve
New You can add to that list...
Nick Petreley being most prominent.

If you can find it (Peter has it I think), the old IWE archives bring a rush of nostalgia for what we once had.

(Some day I should take a copy of that and fix it up so that we can see the corrupted discussions mostly correctly. Of course when I think of doing that, the first one that comes to mind is a particular flamewar that I don't want to see again...)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New That!!!
Is exactly what is keeping me from doing it as well.

And Recently, I reached out to Nicolas Petreley. He basically said "Hi, thanks, but no thanks"
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

I did a 10K wheelchair race once. The guy
who pushed me still has the whip-marks.
Expand Edited by folkert March 10, 2004, 07:58:00 PM EST
New Re: That!!!
Completely unsurprised at his response.

I recall those exchanges well. The heat merely expressed the vehemence of the polarities. It is the very-same non-'debate' being Acted Out Right Now re the Far-Right Fundie roots of the present cabal, and its obvious agenda:

That we shall ALL accept their horrific vision of the cosmos -
Or boil in the oil of the Fantasy of Revelations.
Period. cha cha cha.
(Meanwhile: screw the planet, its resources and the fools upon it, less'n they are in My Exact Club - but.. We'll Be Watching *YOU* Too..)

This conflict, and its Paternalistic, Authoritarian root forms the very core of the Puritan- and other seeds in the Murican conditioning process. Why should it surprise.. or for that matter, Matter! - - should a fellow IT-person demonstrate the entire panoply of Beliefs of all those 'possessed' of the illusion-of-Possessing THE Truth\ufffd ??

Shit happens (but only to those who always use the 3rd person, to evade responsibilty for Shitting).

Ben is quite correct, via my own recollections -- of a pattern of Ben-baiting snide remarks, culminating in a STATEMENT (not mere wink-wink nudge-nudge BS) involving the fact of Ben's marriage, etc. etc. as needs NO recapitulation here or anywhere. Insulting is too mild a word as is, hubris.. too innocuous a tag for the perpetrator of such garbage as I Read. (Much of That exchange may even reside on an old HD of mine, somewhere)

He sowed. He pontificated. He reaped. He left. EOF

So then - Nick may have been all those Wonderful things as regards insightful delineation of *nix and of the machinations of the standard corrupt Murican Corporation du jour. {Yawn} And fun to be around, on the level of beer + Billy jokes.

But I deem him, from his own words - among the identified enemies of the continued survival of the planet. It is He and His (their mindset) who shall forever perpetuate the head-on Iraq-ization of the world until the nukes come out.

And: THEY WILL. There is no shame left in our governance or our culture, nor finally, within those whom we have contrived against -- for the Lion's share of all the stuff out there. That die is cast. We'll Kill to keep the stuff -as much as we can keep- of the lopsided 'division of spoils' 5%/95% ratio. They will kill because: they know this too. And now - many also believe that Unlimited Consuming IS The Tao; we've sold Our Religion so effectively...
Just gotta love Irony, to live 'here'.

These weapons will be used, and increasingly likely, with each new piece of Language Murder: in my lifetime. Thus certainly: within Yours. Because of intransigence precisely as limned, post-by-post within >this microcosm< referenced. (That's the only 'value' I can see to its preservation; it could be edited quite a bit to tell briefly The Same Old Old Story that got us here, today.) No other 'value'.

I don't miss the presence of such a one, at all; I'd join the same debate with any wannabe replacement who cares to duel about His 'Absolute Truth' cha cha cha.

(And folks who want to keep it light and fizzy hereabouts - need not indulge when apocalyptic matters are faced by any of the others.) Nothing compels. If we start eschewing those er controversial topics :-0 -?- It's. All. Over.

At one point, I felt concern for the physical safety of Nick's (ex-) wife. Rage + Religio-Certainty Kills, now more and more often. Apparently she has escaped; have no idea of the factoids of the ex-family situation, nor could anyone know the contributing factors within ANY coupling. That much: we Know we don't know shit about.

my 3 kopeks.

RIP
New And this is why I don't want it resurrected
There are still strong feelings about the events.

Incidentally if any of Nick's claims about Janice are correct, she went from bad to worse. I know well how unreliable an ex-spouse's claims are. But still I wonder from time to time how Janice is doing, and would contact her if I knew how.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Not our bidness :(
but we are relatively easy to find if ya can get near the web. Hope all is well in all directions.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Interesting observation
I don't know anything about "said flamewar" or how "hellish" (ob flame word) it might have been, but something I've realized over the years, and that is that history happens, and you can't change it.

You can't sweep it under the rug, you can't pretend it's gone, you can't pretend it never did... and yes, sometimes when you dig out things and look them over, be they real or online, they HURT. But the cleansing you get when you finally put it all to rest is the best feeling.

I left my grievance mess with UMSL in a box, unorganized, a distraught disaster for YEARS... when I finally pulled it out and put it in order, filed it neatly and put it away, I was FINALLY able to face what really happened and move on.

Not saying anyone hasn't faced anything here, just explaining that IWT is the sum of it's postings, good, bad, ugly, hellish, etc. Editing it doesn't help, and trying to pretend things didn't happen doesn't either. Accept what was and move beyond it, that's what I had to do.

Maybe someday you can archive all those posts, Ben, because that would be neat to have, I'm sure. Someday I intend to reorganize all my photos also, but the problem holding me back is I have to deal with 7 years of photos of me and my-exfiance, which is a prospect I don't relish. But someday, when I have more time, I will.

Just a few thoughts.

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New That's all well and good but...
when all is said and done, it is still not fun to look at the moment where something that you cared about first cracked.

The flamewar that I was referring to (which I think that Greg likewise meant) was the first time that we argued Creationism vs Evolution. The main thread that started it was between Nick Petreley and myself. When Nick left the community several years later it was after a series of seriously fucked up arguments, mostly about Creationism vs Evolution. (It seems likely to me that Nick was partly using this to vent his frustration over his disaster of a divorce which was going on at the time.)

In case you don't know, the thread that bound most of us to IWE in the first place was..Nick Petreley. His loss is therefore particularly keenly felt.

Furthermore most of the people that we care about here (both past and present) were part of that flamewar in some way, shape or form. We know our differences, I have no real desire to obsess on them.

Regards,
Ben
New Thanks for explaining that
And yes, I understand it isn't fun. It won't be fun to look at photos of my ex either, but if I want to accomplish the task of putting the pictures in proper order, I'll have to.

But I do understand, and that's probably why I keep putting off the project. :)

I'm sorry people get upset and leave, anywhere, internet, real life, etc, but unfortunately, it seems to be part of life, and something you come to expect at times.

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New That was the One.
About Three Miles long and right up the wazoo.

Branched into other thread there too.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

I did a 10K wheelchair race once. The guy
who pushed me still has the whip-marks.
     Greg, YOU give it a rest - (ben_tilly) - (84)
         Save for the fact that I know your beliefs.... - (bepatient) - (2)
             Amen as well - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Hey, don't worry about it - (jb4)
         You and others believe what you will (rant and agreement) - (folkert) - (64)
             Yes, we will - (ben_tilly) - (63)
                 So.. Let me get this straight. - (folkert) - (62)
                     A couple comments - (Nightowl) - (41)
                         One thing you need to understand, hooty one. - (pwhysall) - (40)
                             Regardless what they are called - (Nightowl) - (39)
                                 You miss my point. - (pwhysall) - (38)
                                     The Ban and The Lock -NT - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                         Ah yes, good catch. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         And the Comfy Chair! -NT - (admin) - (2)
                                             And the soft cushions! With the stuffing all in one corner! -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                 LRPD: I just KNEW the Good Humor Man was behind this... -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                                     Maybe so - (Nightowl) - (23)
                                         No. No "they". - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                             Re: No. No "they". - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                 Let's look at it another way. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                     Okay, I concur - (Nightowl)
                                                     Periodic? How's that? - (folkert)
                                             You stupid ass clown... - (danreck) - (13)
                                                 Re: You stupid ass clown... - (danreck) - (2)
                                                     Re: You stupid ass clown... - (danreck) - (1)
                                                         Only three? - (folkert)
                                                 No, I think the rabid ones were wolves. The dogs... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Re: No, I think the rabid ones were wolves. The dogs... - (danreck)
                                                 oo0..Please stop calumniating..0oo -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     ooO Sauvons Michel! Ooo - (deSitter)
                                                 Point of order. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                     Re: Point of order. - (admin) - (3)
                                                         Thanks for clearing that up.... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                             np. - (admin)
                                                         LOL! -NT - (slugbug)
                                                     one are adjectives describing a noun - (boxley)
                                             20 hours, not 3 weeks - (admin) - (1)
                                                 I meant calendar - (pwhysall)
                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
                                             Confirming your statement(s) - (folkert)
                                     TLA translation, please: IFS?!? -NT - (jb4) - (8)
                                         Internet Face Stab - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                             Grr. You're too quick! Ruined me joke! ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 I know :\\ - (pwhysall)
                                             Re: Internet Face Stab - (jb4) - (1)
                                                 Not much of a joke, really... Just hit the link and scroll. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Wow. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                 Not on MSN. - (Another Scott)
                                         Installable File System. - (Another Scott)
                     I guess that was unfair. - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Good Point. - (folkert) - (2)
                             I'll tell you how - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Understand. - (folkert)
                     Gad, what a list! - (jb4) - (15)
                         Re:Damn, I'm getting old! - (hnick)
                         I did not realize we lost that many... Sad list indeed. - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                             aye, it does hurt. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                             The LRPD brings some back, e.g. MHuber. :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 bkosse. :( -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     was hoping that one wouldn't come up >:( -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                         You can add to that list... - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             That!!! - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Re: That!!! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     And this is why I don't want it resurrected - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Not our bidness :( - (boxley)
                             Interesting observation - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                 That's all well and good but... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     Thanks for explaining that - (Nightowl)
                                     That was the One. - (folkert)
         Well I'm sorry too - (deSitter) - (3)
             ! - (admin)
             Hang in there. You'll get through this rough time. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Alternate analysis - (ben_tilly)
         I say, DAMN impressive language skills there... - (CRConrad) - (11)
             Soylent Green is people! -NT - (admin) - (10)
                 "People", the collective (i.e, plural) term... - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     This frog won't croak any more... -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         No fucking wonder - it's almost... - (CRConrad)
                     Soylent brown is toddlers -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         As seen on TV! -NT - (inthane-chan)
                     ... - (admin) - (4)
                         Sheesh, you guys... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Eh... - (admin) - (2)
                                 No, of course I realised that if a frog won't croak, it... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Let us not even start on the multifarious 'cracked crab' -NT - (Ashton)

Zeptotechnology is just around the corner!
127 ms